2010 Offseason Predictions
So, what do you guys think will go down the rest of this offseason? So far, it’s been fairly quiet, but rumors and news are coming forward like crazy now. So far this summer, we’ve seen a few things go down. First, Rob Blake announced his retirement. It’s a shame to see a guy this good go, but everyone has a point where they’re just done. Then, we got news of a deal between Montreal and St. louis. The deal looks like:
To STL: Jaroslav Halak
To MTL: Lars Eller , Ian Schultz
St. Louis desperately needed goalie help with FA Chris Mason looking for money they just couldn’t give him. Unfortunately, they had to give up one of their top center prospects in Lars Eller in a package to get Halak. But hey, you gotta give a little to get a little. The next big thing that happened was word of a possible deal coming soon between the Bruins and the Panthers. Rumors ran rampant, saying they were getting Horton, saying they were getting the #3 pick, and some said that they would get both. There was tons of specualation as to what would go back to Florida, until yesterday around maybe 1 PM EST? Word broke out of a deal for Nathan Horton between the Bruins and the Panthers. After the smoke cleared, the deal looked like this:
To FLA: Dennis Wideman, 1st in 2010 (15th overall), 3rd in 2011 (BOS)
To BOS: Nathan Horton, Gregory Campbell
Then, one of the best defenseman to ever play the game decided to retire. Scott Niedermayer. Hate to see a class act like him retire, but like I said, everyone’s got to at some point in time.
So, what does everyone think happens over the rest of the summer? Here’s my list of what happens.
1. Columbus trades the #4 pick for Jason Spezza /Edmonton trades Penner , Cogliano , and possibly Smid for Spezza
2. Edmonton caves to pressure and selects Taylor Hall 1st Overall, leaving the Bruins with the better ALL AROUND player (not the better player, better all around)
3. Boston trades Tim Thomas. Lots of speculation surrounding this. Tampa Bay, Philadelphia, and San Jose appear to be the front runners for him. So, I’m going to go out on a limb here and say To SJS: Tim Thomas , Andrew Ference To BOS: Ryan Clowe /Joe Pavelski /Devin Setoguchi
4. Philadelphia lets Michael Leighton walk and signs Dan Ellis as their goalie.
6. Chicago will not deal Patrick Sharp , but does trade Versteeg to NYI for prospects, Byfuiglen to SJS for a pick and a prospect.
7. Bruins place an offer sheet on David Perron
What’s your take on the rest of the summer?