Grabovski buyout gives Leafs options

On the day Mikhail Grabovski officially takes himself off the open market, the former Toronto Maple Leafs centre is also likely to become a NHL free agent.

What a turn of events.

The Leafs placed Grabovski on unconditional waivers Thursday with the intention of using a compliance buyout on him if he clears Friday – which just happens to be the day the 29-year-old will marry his longtime girlfriend in Toronto, according to agent Gary Greenstin.

Of course, there is a chance another team plucks Grabovski off the waiver wire, although with $21.5 million and four years remaining on his contract that appeared unlikely.

Grabovski signed that big extension in March 2012 when Brian Burke was still the Leafs general manager. It was also just days after Randy Carlyle had taken over as coach and he never seemed to have as much faith in the Belarussian as predecessor Ron Wilson did.

104 Responses to Grabovski buyout gives Leafs options

I was expecting Grabo to get one more shot at it, but I guess either

a) Carlyle really likes Bozak so this is what needed to be done to keep him.

b) someone else is on the horizon.

I don’t know. Other than the draws and ability to kill penalties and his relationship with Kessel, what does Bozak bring that’s that much more than Grabo?

Grabo couldn’t play with Phil, and had a terrible season plus he isn’t as much a playmaker or has chemistry with other forwards except Kulemin.

But he was energetic, and a speed demon. His speed was ridiculous.

However at 5.5 it was rich, too rich it seems for the Leafs.

My hope is though the team doesn’t make that same mistake twice with Bozak.

Weiss, though injured, is the better player of the 3. Not sure if i’d go really long term with this player but he is a very good top 6 centre who can win draws, check, kill penalties.

He is a mix of bozak and grabo in one package. I’d only question his will. He has chosen to stay in Florida more than once, including turning down a trade with his NTC. He is also looking to find a way to stay in florida now. Does this guy want to really win or does he just want to stay where its comfortable?

2. mapleleafsfan says:

Anyone think a team might claim grabo? It’s not a good contract, but surely he’d demand close to 5 on the open market. Maybe some team would want to secure him?

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

I think he demands about $3.5-$4 on the open market, so I don’t think anyone will claim him if they think they can get him for less or same money and less term.

shit they’re talking Ericsson from Dallas to Boston for Seguin. it would be a bigger packaged deal. as per Dreger. wow.

they’re saying too Peverley also going to Dallas too. wow what a mega deal. love this stuff

• mapleleafsfan says:

Wow huge. If this is true, I’m very, very glad Seguin is gone from the conference. Ericsson is good and all, but at least it’s not a decade of hearing “Seguin > Kessel blah blah blah”

5. LN91 says:

Is a pretty good top-3 for Boston.

6. mapleleafsfan says:

Giroux extended for 8+. Coutourier or Schenn have to be available right?

• nordiques100 says:

not til next year. Holmgren doesn’t really think too far ahead.

All he has under contract now fits under the salary cap today and so there is no urgency for the Flyers to do anything.

All i see first before those two moving would be Meszaros, a 2014 UFA being given away.

Seguin, Rich Peverley and Ryan Button to Dallas for Matt Fraser, Joe Morrow, Reilly Smith and Loui Ericsson.

What a great hockey trade.

the deal opens 4 million in cap space for the Bruins roughly.

• nordiques100 says:

Shit I forgot to E5 that baby!

• LN91 says:

Imagine they then dealt Seguin to Toronto to stab Chiarelli in the back? lol

• mapleleafsfan says:

Can’t say I know much about the prospects out of Dallas aside from Morrow, but hypothetically (not that it would ever have been and option). Would you trade:

Kessel, Percy, Biggs

Seguin, Peverley, Button

? Steep price.

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

Seguin, Peverley, Button for Percy, Biggs, Hamilton, Knight.

hell no.

If we were in the Seguin trade race we would be giving up so much.

Not even this would get it done IMO:

Kulemin (<< Morrow, for now anyway)
        Biggs (>Smith and/or Fraser)
        D’Amigo (= Smith or Fraser)
        2014 1st (cost for dealing within the division and to “beat” Dallas’ offer)

Seguin, Button, useless contract(s) if Boston has more than 50

Allows Boston to flip Peverley for a small pick elsewhere.

We still don’t beat Dallas’ deal IMO. Boston only makes this move to make a hockey trade (meaning to get a player at a similar skill level) like JVR or Lupul. At that point I would pass.

• DannyLeafs says:

I think a lot of this deal is that Boston realized when they made the finals this year, that there window to win another cup or two is now and for a few more years. So trading for cap space and a player that fits Bostons mold a little better. Ericsson will be more effective on the wing for Boston then Seguin was. Seguin may have upside at center, but with Krejci being a playoff scoring machine, and Bergeron being their heart and soul, he really didn’t get show what he can do. On the wing he is likely at best a 25-30 goal winger who is a little soft, and mediocre defensively. Ericsson will provide similar offense, and vastly improve defense. He will be a good fit. The prospects just sweeten the deal.

I wouldn’t read too much into things like Chiarelli didn’t think Seguin has high end potential. This is a similar situation as the Kessel trade. He traded a guy that he beleived wasn’t an ideal fit for the way the Bruins play, to conserve cap space and gain assets. He would rather send a guy away while the value is high then force him into a situation that may not work out for the best interests of the player and the club. It’s a ballsy move, but very well thought out.

Fraser led the Texas Stars, Dallas AHL affiliate with 33 goals.

Smith played most of the games for Dallas this year and is one of their top 10 prospects according to the hockey news.

Morrow a former 1st rounder of the Pens is highly regarded as well.

Ericsson is signed to 2016. He’s a really really good player. He will likely I think replace Horton on Krejcii’s right.

• LN91 says:

However, the Bruins do lose 3 keep players over the years in Seguin, Peverley, and Horton.

It looks like the B’s will be competitive until Chara starts to decline. That’s what this trade is about.

• nordiques100 says:

They were in cap hell….especially if they re-signed Rask to the “Rinne” deal which was 7 x 7 mil.

This did free up some space….they’re also planning on that large 8 year Bergeron extension too.

The page is being turned to guys like Soderberg, Smith, Spooner, Fraser, Caron to be that 3rd line.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see Kelly moved too.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

Once they remove Savard from their cap hit, they have lots of room left. May be the best cap managed team in the league.

• nordiques100 says:

according to capgeek b4 the trade today, Bruins had just under $57 mil committed to 18 players. This doesn’t include Savard.

The roster holes were only 3 more forwards, easily filled by cheaper, minor leaguers or entry level guys.

There were 2 other holes and that’s both goalie positions.

Rask was due to get 7 x $7 mil. That would have taken them to the cap max.

But, the trade today opened up about 4 mil or so in space. Breathing room they needed.

Not saying they have a lot of bad contracts, but they didn’t have a lot of cap space considering the Rask potential deal.

they should now have about 4-5 mil to round out their roster. That’s not a lot, but for what they need, its enough. They’re not in need of a big name player up front or in goal, their remaining roster holes.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

On nhlnumbers, they have the trade gone through and the Bruins at $55.7 including Savard. Krug is not counted but Bartkowski is. Remove Savards and add Krug and they are at approx. $53.3. Everyone seems to be on there. Leaves them $11 mil to sign Rask, back-up and fringe players. With only Seidenberg and Bergeron next year, I think they have managed things very well.

• reinjosh says:

Is your name Adam?

Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye.

10. leafy says:

The right decision in my opinion.

I am holding out some hope too that Liles is traded this summer.

Nothing wrong with the guy, except he’s really the team’s 6th or 7th defenceman and at 3.9 mil, that’s way too much.

He has value I think. I think it will depend on what happens with the free agents out there. Like for example someone throwing large cash at Hainsey or Tom Gilbert.

Liles is a good skater who can move the puck and help the power play. I think there’s more of a market there for him than Grabo or Komi who were the buyouts.

Liles could be the aftermath move after the Leafs finish off their shopping and realize they want to keep some breathing room. Liles could be that player. Could potentially be a player traded and the Leafs keep say $1 million cap hit to soften the financial blow to the receiving team.

There’s been so much talk of centres, but after that playoff series vs Boston, there is help needed on D.

I wouldn’t mind flipping Liles, moving him out, and bringing in Ference. That’s a possibility.

But I wonder if the Leafs have opened things up to eye perhaps a Bogosian. He’d be a guy who’d efficiently be able to replace what Phaneuf does should Dion decide to price himself out of toronto. Very possible that happens as he could demand well over 7 mil per. Simply not worth it.

Bogosian is a guy who’d help now….and much later. Not sure what kind of offer could lure him here.

All i know is Bogosian is a premier talent with speed, size and skill and he could play 40 minutes a game a la Suter if he wanted.

What have u heard about Bogosian being available? That would be dope.

• nordiques100 says:

nothing, but just seeing him a RFA, them having decent D (enstrom, buff, trouba and their 1st rounder Morrisey) and some needs, which Tor maybe could help with, I see him a tough signing for them, but him, being a former OHLer, would be ok coming here and I think flourish.

For a while here, ppl have been talking dion replacements, be it Reilly or Gardiner or someone else, but for me, we need that horse. Bogosian is a horse. The other names being bantered about are not.

• DannyLeafs says:

I would love to see NYR nab a high priced UFA and make one of their big D available. Girardi, Staal or McDonagh would be great fits with the Leafs.

12. lafleur10 says:

briere signs with the habs

• nordiques100 says:

He will help their PP, but more importantly, the leadership in the room. He’s had success. Much of the Habs room has not.

Their immaturity showed in their playoff series vs Ottawa. There’s room to grow for Pac and Subban maturity wise among others. Briere should help with that. Help in spades.

I don’t like Gionta as captain. I don’t think he’s real captain material. Briere being a former captain will help a ton. Its what they need.

• lafleur10 says:

he will help in the playoffs he’s a proven playoff scorer with 108 points in a 109 games he’ll help with the leadership role too and it’s only 2 years not 5 lol

• nordiques100 says:

I think him leaving Buffalo killed that room. Drury was a tough loss and the grit of McKee and Grier too but Briere was i think the heart and soul of the Sabres. Thats why i think he’ll be huge help in the room for Habs.

• lafleur10 says:

your right because the sabres haven’t been the same since after briere left they went in a tail spin and haven’t recovered from it he provided a lot of leadership for the sabres and he’ll help us with that too

• Gambo says:

That’s if the Habs can even make the playoffs 😉

Great signing though, congrats on picking up a star free agent.

13. DannyLeafs says:

So apparently Horcoff will be traded to Dallas. Kind of surprised they could move that contract. He only has a couple of years left, but still 5.5 in cap hit for a guy in his mid 30’s that hasn’t cracked 40 points in or 15 goals in 3 years is amazing. Especially when it seems Dallas is actually giving up a pick in the deal. Even if Edmonton retains salary, this would be a good move.

Grabovski had some real choice words for Carlyle. ok whatever.

At the end of the day, he was out-performed by Kadri and Bozak. That’s actually not good since Bozak only scored 26 points and Kadri was relatively a rookie for all intents and purposes.

Kadri took his ice time. he was almost a PPG player. He really earned it. Hard to bench him. And Bozak earned more minutes being on for many draws which he was good at, on different lines plus being on the PK which Kadri and Grabovski were not.

Grabovski also killed penalties in the Wilson era. not this time. McClement played more minutes at forward than anyone else in the entire league killing penalties. Pretty much McClement took PK ice time from 2 players. Pretty much seeing the leafs go worst to first in PK justifies the Carlyle choices here.

Also on the PP, he could have played…but before this year there was no JVR. So you knew JVR was going to take time from someone. he was a PP fixture. Lupul returned. Kessel is a lock and Kadri again earned the time. Grabovski did get 2nd unit minutes, but he shared with MacArthur.

In the playoffs, though a -10, he was 3rd in ice time among forwards. More than Lupul, more than Kessel. His effort level rose and thus so did his ice time.

Carlyle wants players to earn it. Grabovski didn’t really and thus was benched in favor of others. Considering the results, a playoff berth for the 1st time in 9 years, there really isn’t much of an argument here.

Grabo had all the same complaints when he left Montreal. It’s always everyone else’s fault, and never his own.

• DannyLeafs says:

Also, can’t argue with results. I mean Carlyle managed to get into the playoffs with most of the same players Wilson had available to him and couldn’t get there.

Grabovski is one of those Pesky guys that you like for the same reasons would don’t like. He has a lot of fire, and when things are going well you love it, but he is a side show when things aren’t.

• toronto77 says:

I don’t think Bozak out performed Grabo.

Bozak is the default no.1 centre because of his personal relationship with Kessel.

Grabo has more speed, skill and is not afraid to go to the dirty areas.

Regardless of Bozak’s play, Carlyle was immanent to keep him as the no.1 and Kadri made it impossible to keep him out of the top 6, so Grabo got bumped to the no.3

Whenever Bozak looked good, it was because he has Kessel and JVR/Lupul as linemates that made him better, but Grabo had a tougher job trying to make his wingers better.

If both these guys make it to FA, teams are fighting over Grabo, not Bozak.

I wonder what happens with Kulemin? He had great chemistry with Grabo, but when he wasn’t with Grabo he played pretty well on a line with Kadri and Lupul. But with Kadri and Lupul pretty much penciled into the top 6 next season I don’t see how Kulemin can play with them unless he make a case for him to play in the top 6 as well.

• nordiques100 says:

Bozak the player, forget the friend, was a better compliment for Kessel and had instant chemistry with him.

Grabovski never shared any chemistry at all with Phil. In fact he was fairly limited really only playing well with Kulemin. That’s it.

15. DannyLeafs says:

So I think after the buyout and the other moves, Nonis is really pressing hard to put his stamp on the team, and I think the Grabovski buyout is because he has a couple of things he feels confident about, either trades or signings. Obviously Clarkson, Weiss and Scuderi are targets but what would be more interesting is who he may be considering via trade if he does make another trade.

I know he keeps saying things like everyone could be up for grabs, but I take that as how he says he means it, in that he would trade any player if the offer was good enough, which is pretty much always the case. He just wants people to call and ask, and that type of attitude is great for a bait and switch tactic. People may call about a guy he has no interest in moving, but by doing so they are giving up what players they are interested in moving on their roster.

That being said, there are obviously guys Nonis would move. Some are obvious, but if he is going to make a splash I think he must have some covetted pieces he would be looking to deal.

To me I think the guys he may be most willing to move are Fraonson, Gunnarsson, JVR, and Kulemin, and I really think he would sell high on Kadri or Gardiner in the right deal. I think he would move Phaneuf, but I just don’t think the interest is high enough given a big cap hit with a shrinking cap. I don’t think Kessel is in play as I beleive he will go hard to re-sign him. I think his biggest interest in Bozak is his relationship with Kessel.

Finally, I wonder where things will land with Bozak. I have said all along I would like to keep him, he is a useful player, but anywhere near or over 5 million or 5 years would be awful. Realistically I would like to see a 4 year 4 million type deal. A decent amount committed, but at the same time, not so much he would be a albatross, and with a shorter term deal its much easier to trade him if need be. He has value, can play top 6 or bottom six, has the speed to play wing if need be, good on the draw, useful PK guy, and has some shootout skills and can contribute offensively. But realistically he would be best suited to a 2nd line role with a team who had a really good first line center. Would be a good fit in Anaheim, Detroit, Chicago, Tampa, or somewhere similar. A team where he can have good linemates, good offensive zone time, but be sheltered against having to play against top D, hiding behind a star. He has the all-round game where that makes sense.

I really hope he doesn’t get quite the level of offers he was expecting now that Dallas is likely out of contention for him. Calgary shouldn’t be willing to overpay while in a rebuild, but common sense doesn’t seem to rule Feaster’s moves.

16. toronto77 says:

I really feel bad for Grabo in this article

I does have a point, Carlyle really didn’t use him correctly, I still don’t think it was good for Grabovski to burn a bridge like that.

Does this mean the leafs take a hard run at Clarkson?

I hope they don’t sign Weiss, he’s not that much more better then Grabo and will demand as much money, buying out Grabo and signing Weiss is a lateral movement.

I hope Bozak still walks, so our top 3 centremen are probably Kadri, Bolland and Colborne, unless Nonis signs another top 6 centre men.

I liked Nonis’s deal with Bernier and Bolland but this Grabo buy out??? not so sure I like it.

I can understand the Komi buy out, because he was playing like shit and getting paid a lot of money, but Grabo still contributed and play pretty good in the playoffs.

Maybe the rumors are true though Nonis is the GM, does Carlyle really wear the pants?? I mean look at the age difference. I think Carlyle had a lot to do with this buy-out.

• DannyLeafs says:

I think it’s the fact that Carlyle didn’t trust Grabo to use him they he is most effective combined with an awful contract. I mean, 5.5 million should be a guy that there is no question about whether or not he is a top 6 forward. Grabo doesn’t like the wing, he only seemed to be able to play with certain guys, and he wasn’t as useful all around. Kadri played his way to his spot, starting the year putting up good numbers in 13-14 minutes a night playing mostly with Frattin, Kulemin and MacArthur and improving every time his role increased. Bozak showed that he could be trusted in most situations and played much better with Kessel than Grabovski did. In the end Grabo played his own way out of a spot. I really liked the way he can play at times, but he isn’t versatile enough to get paid that kind of money. I think it makes sense to buy him out, I really didn’t think it would happen this year, but I can’t say I think it’s a bad move.

• LN91 says:

Weiss is alot better than Grabo.

• leafy says:

Absolutely. Much better hands for one thing and good on faceoffs.

• LN91 says:

A good goal scorer as well.

Let’s not forget how good Horton was after he left Florida, where Weiss was satistically better then him during that time.

Also, in one playoff series in his career…Was nearly a ppg.

I used to hate the idea, but I think he could be a tremendous player with Kessel and either Lupul or JVR

17. DannyLeafs says:

Scott Cullen has to be one of the worst columnists that TSN has. He gets his flavour of the season new advanced stat and just absolutely acts like its the only stat that anybody should pay any attention to. Reading his comparison of the Seguin trade, you would think that Dallas just got away with highway robbery. He equates Seguin to “one of the most dangerous offensive players in the league” and Eriksson is a “strong two way player that was considered underrated for so long that he is now properly rated”. He even says that if Seguin can start putting up 80 points a season, that this is a huge win for Dallas.

To me that’s a really poor assessment. To me if Seguin doesn’t produce 80 point seasons, this will look like a terrible trade for Dallas. Eriksson had a subpar year, but that was largely due to playing for a team that had trouble moving the puck up ice as a group. He may have only had 12 goals, but that was tied for the team lead. Eriksson has averaged 30 goals and 70 points while being one of the best, if not the best, defensive wingers in the game over the four seasons prior to this one. I would take a consistent 70 point winger who is a defensive stud over a guy whose upside is that of a 80 point center with mediocre defensive ability. Even if Seguin turns into that player, if Eriksson gets back to his 60-70 point production, and stays as good defensively as he has, this would be a close trade if it was straight up. Throw in the fact that Boston gets the better upside with the prospects, and I think you have a trade that Boston could easily win in the long run, even if Seguin reaches his maximum potential.

Cullen strikes me as one of those guys that spends more time reading about stats then he has ever actually watching hockey.

Man Dallas adds Horcoff. This will be good, it will allow them to put Benn at his natural position on the wing.

Benn – Seguin – Whitney
    Cole – Peverly – ??????
    Nystrom – Horcoff – Eakin
    Roussell – Fiddler – ??????

Not a bad group, they need another capable top 6 winger, and another grinder of some kind.

• Gambo says:

Too bad they traded Jagr, he would’ve looked nice there. Other options could be MacArthur or maybe Iginla goes back to the place he was drafted. Horton wants to stay out of the spotlight, Dallas may be an option for him. There are enough options for them in this FA market this year, they could be dangerous.

• mapleleafsfan says:

This is why I’m suprised we couldn’t have moved grabo. He’s surely considered better than Horcoff and paid the same. That team would look better with Peverly on the 3rd and Grabo on the second than it does now.

19. LN91 says:

Okay everyone, let’s play the Official UFA Wishlist Game 🙂

Name the UFA players that you want for your team…And explain if you want.

I will go with: Weiss and Clarkson

Now, very risky moves…But I don’t see this as a regular season move, more of a playoff move. Clarkson seems to be risky, but let’s not forget Carlyle is the coach of Toronto…Where Grabovski declined for Carlyle, Clarkson is the type of player that thrives under his system and leadership.

Stephen Weiss is another risky move…But looking at Bozak, Ribeiro and Roy…I want him. Weiss is very good on the draw and his skills are very underrated. He played for a poor team in Florida (with no good players at all) and still managed to put up 60 points in a couple of seasona dn not a bad +/- for some real bad teams. Now, he’s not going to be amazing in Toronto..But he should be good enough to play a role similar to Krejci in Boston.

Who’s on your wishlist?

I’d sub that. Weiss and Clarkson would be great additions.

I would add a pair of veteran defencemen. That would be key. We need leadership on the backend so I would go with Ferrence and Gilbert. Back ups – Gill, Kaberle, Roszival, Whitney, Hainsey, Lydman, Zidlicky, or Jeff Schultz, even though he’s not old enough to fit my motif.

• Gambo says:

In a perfect world I’d like Iginla on the RW of the second line, for obvious reasons. The Leafs will have a bunch of cap space this season even if they keep Liles. Offer him 1 yr at 8m and maybe he can’t say no to that. Doesn’t handicap the leafs at all financially and they get a passionate leader who is eager to win.

Dude, Iggy is the dream for me.

Actually, my wet dream is Iginla, Selanne, and Jagr all join the team. I’m old, I know it, I want guys who were studs when I was 16

• reinjosh says:

My wishlist:

1) Not Clarkson: Skating issues, finanical issues, and limited offensive success outside one season. All these things are adding up to Clarkson becoming the biggest FA bust since Bryzgalov.

2) Horton: Big playoff winner. He’s had injury issues but he’s a big body, and he’d fit in nicely between Kulemin and Kessel on the RW. Plus he’d provide a huge veteran playoff experience boost. Adding two cup winners in less than a week would be sweet (the other being Bolland)

3) Weiss/Ribeiro: Weiss I imagine would be a more long term
      fit, Ribeiro shroter term. Ribeiro showed some serious playmaking ability with Ovie this year, I’d love to see him do it again with Kessel. I’d be ok with Weiss too, but that’s a larger risk IMO. He’s played with poor players so he could have some untapped offensive potential provided he gets placed with a guy like Kessel. Krejci would be an interesting comparison.

3) Rob Scuderi: Another cup winner and a dman that would slot in nicely beside Phaneuf. I’m nt sure about his skating, could be an issue. But he’s intriguing.

4) No overspending. I don’t want to see us replace Grabo with a worse contract.

20. Gambo says:

I’m not against the Grabovski buyout, his contract was terrible, but I’ll definitely miss him. He played with so much heart and passion. My favorite leafs moment with him was when he fought Chris Neil after Neil went at the rookie Ashton. Character guy, best of luck to him in his future.

Read on Twitter it could be Clarkson and Ribiero both coming to the Leafs.

I think the logic on Ribiero is that he could be the cheapest and shortest term among him, bozak, weiss and grabovski.

Its pretty obvious why Clarkson. From Toronto, probably no secret he wants to play in Toronto and he’s a good player, albeit he isn’t a 5 mil player which is likely what he is going to get.

I’m still holding out for Weiss, but it doesnt look likely.

• reinjosh says:

It is a weird UFA period where Ribeiro is the cheapest option for Center. He’s the highest scoring center available and he’s the cheapest? Unreal.

I’m holding out for not getting Clarkson. Looks like I’m going to be dissapointed…

• mapleleafsfan says:

Mackenzie is saying it looks like Clarkson will be getting a 7 year term. Potentially higher than 6 mill a year. That will immediately be the worst contract in the NHL.

22. Gambo says:

Nonis will completely win me over if he sends an offer sheet out to either Pietrangelo or Bogosian. Doesn’t matter if they match or not, just show you’re the real deal.

• LN91 says:

We don’t have our 2nd, but we could make a huge offer, which only requires 1sts (4 of them, but hey…)

That’s the type of offer it would take for Pietrangelo anyway.

But LN91 is right about Bogosian, you’re not offer sheeting him top dollar, so we don’t have the necessary picks.