Alfredsson defers $200,000 to make room for trade.

According to the Ottawa Sun:

Sources yesterday confirmed Alfredsson has agreed to defer $200,000 of his salary to clear money in the budget if the club wants to add a player before next Tuesday’s NHL trade deadline. While Alfredsson couldn’t be reached for comment last night and his agent J.P. Barry of IMG Hockey wouldn’t confirm the decision, it’s believed Alfredsson will up his base salary to $5.15 million (all terms US) next year, which means the money is guaranteed.

With the Senators in bankruptcy protection and the club up for sale, Alfredsson’s decision allows the club to free up money without having to subtract anything from the current roster.

“I’d really rather not comment on it,” said Barry from his Calgary office. “All I can say is that Daniel Alfredsson wants to win a Stanley Cup in Ottawa and he’ll do whatever it takes for that team to be successful.”

A decision like Alfredsson’s isn’t unprecedented.

Detroit captain Steve Yzerman, defenceman Chris Chelios and winger Brendan Shanahan agreed to defer salary in the summer of 2001 so the Wings could sign free agent Brett Hull.

Of course, Hull played a big role in helping the Wings win the Cup last year.

————————————————–

And who says that Alfredsson is not a great captain, it seems he’s intent on winning and is willing to make the sacrifices in order to do it.

Alfie has also stated that he is willing to waive his UFA status in order sign a long term deal with the Sens. I guess there are still players that care for more than just money.

18 Responses to Alfredsson defers $200,000 to make room for trade.

1. mikster says:

Who wouldn’t respect this guy? He is just starting to ebcoem a millionare. 200K is a good discount for sure.

SHanny and Yzerman are already millionares, but it is a veyr nice gesture.

Should this put any effect on the CBA talks?

2. amazing_jesse says:

Oh, what a magnanamous guy! 200k – as long as it guaranteed next year. That will buy you, err…hmmm…still thinking now…well, it’s nice anyway.

What a whiner, er winner. See you in the playoffs Alfie.

3. MossRocks says:

Man, is Ottawa serious or what? If they add a guy like Scott Thornton they will steamroll the Leafs. More talent, better goaltending and vastly better defense. A little more grit and it’s Ottawa to the conference finals… Unless Quinn can improve his defensive core and spread out the scoring with another winger.

Maybe this was necessary just to pay for Varada?

4. swedishvoice says:

I hope that Alfie brings home the Bill Masterton Trophy.

5. MossRocks says:

Well, $200K at this point in the season buys you a $1million – $1.3million player for 17 games.

6. DohCanada says:

nice gesture, but….. 200k should buy the Sens a new towel boy or Zamboni driver.

hmmm…. maybe if I promise to defer 4% of my salary (about 2k), maybe our office could afford a Swedish masseuse….gotta go talk to the boss!!!

7. guinsfan4life says:

Whoop d’ Whoop. Big deal. So now they can trade for one of the awesome d-men the penguins got from the rangers!!!- That’d be the only players they can afford with that money.

8. amazing_jesse says:

Yah, I know. It’s actually kinda cool. I am surprised more players don’t do this. I costs them very little in terms of cost of capital, makes them look good to fans and gives them a better opportunity to win the Cup. It’s a win all around.

9. amazing_jesse says:

10. TheShack says:

I don’t know if you realize this but there is only 15 or so games left in the season, and if you are after a “rent-a-player” for the playoffs, you only have to pay them for those 15 games, because players technically play for free in the playoffs. That said, $200,000 can pay for a winger that makes over 1 million a year at this juncture of the season.

11. Tradedude says:

OoOoO $200,000 dollars, who can they get for that, Kevin Hodson? he makes $200,000.

that money should have been spent from the cheapshot he gave tucker last year.

12. Tradedude says:

that money should have been spent from the cheapshot he gave tucker last year.

13. DG says:

This reminds me of when Vancouver Canucks captain Markus Naslund said he was willing to accept less than market value because he likes the city of Vancouver, and it’s pleasent to think that there’s more players like him.

If the Canucks weren’t in a position to win a Stanley Cup themselves, I would have wanted the Ottawa Senators to win…kindless like this needs to be rewarded.

RealityCheck

(P.S. This is DG: I’ve just decided to have a different screen name for my non-admin work.)

14. Tony says:

200k doesn’t sound like that much. I think those Wings players you mentioned each defered around a million each.

15. aaron says:

I’d be surprised if it was more than 500,000 each, actually. Yzerman may have deferred a million, but I don’t think it was anything really substantial.

I think whoever said earlier that they only have to pay an incoming player for 15 games has a point. They could actually get a fairly substantial player for 200,000. If someone else deferred say another 100,000, they could get up in the 1.5 million dollar range, and that’s just the difference between incoming and leaving (i.e. if they trade a player making 1.5 million dollars, they could bring in someone making 3 million dollars).

Classy move, regardless.

16. ocptmycpt says:

Give me a break, who is this guy’s agent? This is obviously a ploy to attract a buyer for the team. I’m certain this is the first player to be noted, but not the last.

The team is looking to reduce its overhead in an attempt to make the team more attractive to buyers. The team is slashing and burning. They probably have a buyer in the wings who is asking them to reduce payroll (among other things) before they take the reins in order to say “gee, it wasn’t me but a contract is a contract.”

What can you buy for $200,000 in this league? Who is going to move to a team that is “restructuring”? It is nice to see the team doing so well this year though.

17. TC_4 says:

The story I heard was that there was more than just Alffy that defered money, it was that he defered the most. I can bet you money that my buddy Wade defered some too. The last couple of summers when we’ve talked about the playoffs, he’s been very upset and frustrated about losing out when, on paper, they’ve had the better team.

18. meetak says:

Aflredsson isn’t the only Sen who restructured his contract: 200,000 times 10 can get you something in the NHL.

Melnyk seems to be plenty interested in buying the team already, without salary dumps: more than likely, the contrary will happen.Melnyk likes to win, and doesn’t mind spending to do it.Just the owner Ottawa needs.They already have a well built squad: they just need an impact player to put them over the top.They may get one before the trade deadline.If Toronto can get Nolan with their depth( or lack of it) then Ottawa’s wealth of prospects should be able to yield someone really good 🙂