Bernier expects trade

kings

Jonathan Bernier, celebrating his day with the Stanley Cup today in Quebec, reportedly told a local French-language television station, “I expect to be traded before training camp starts,” given that Jonathan Quick has signed a 10-year contract extension with the Kings (link here).

Bernier is certainly entitled to his opinion and expectation, but it doesn’t necessarily dovetail with reality. The situation isn’t any different than what was discussed in Bernier’s player evaluation (link here). If the Kings get an offer for Bernier that they believe will improve the team in the long run, they will trade him. If not, they won’t. Bernier is smart enough and reasonable enough to know that the Kings aren’t going to trade him out of charity, simply because he wants to be a No. 1 goalie. I’d like a Porsche. We can’t all get what we want. Bernier is also quoted as saying the Kings “refused” to trade him last season, which is a reach. They talked to multiple teams but didn’t get an offer they deemed sufficient. The reality is that Bernier is a 23-year-old backup goalie with 42 career starts.

Quick’s re-signing slightly increases the chances that Bernier might be traded in the short term, but it guarantees nothing. The reality is that Bernier is an outstanding young goalie and a great fall-back option for the Kings next season if something should happen to Quick. He certainly has the potential to be a No. 1 goalie in the future, but right now the Kings are focused on the Kings’ best interests, as they should be.

23 Responses to Bernier expects trade

1. Steven_Leafs0 says:

LA will trade Bernier, the question becomes when. They can easily wait until the 2013 off-season before the draft to move him (which I think they should do) but at that point I think they have to trade him.

If they wait until he is a RFA then they risk paying him over 3M a year or losing him for a 2nd round pick.

For this season the RFA compensation for $3.3M is a 2nd round pick. Assuming the cap doesn’t go up (which it likely will) then all someone would have to do is offer Bernier a 3-6 year deal worth $3.3M a year. If LA matches him then they are paying 2 goalies $9M (they cannot trade Bernier after a RFA match for one season so they are stuck with that one), if they don’t match they only get a 2nd round pick in 2014, they can probably get triple that right now.

To summarize: They have to trade him. The only question is when.

• JoelLeafs says:

Sounds more like he wants to be traded and they are in no rush. Just because a player is signed long term doesn’t mean another becomes useless. I mean, something very similar happened in Vancouver recently…

If I’m L.A. I say FU Bernier and keep him… unless of course an offer is too good to pass up. Good goalies aren’t exactly growing on trees, why rush to get rid of one?

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

I do believe they will and should keep him unless someone wants to overpay but you cannot keep him at a salary of over 3M. If you would question whether or not you would match an offer sheet where the compensation is only a 2nd rounder AND Bernier wants out of the organization then you have to move him sometime soon.

What LA should do is keep Bernier until either the trade deadline or until the end of the year then move him for a massive return. Unless of course someone chooses to overpay right now.

2. Shoelesshobo says:

Off topic but needs to be said. Anaheim has the best way of announcing a signing.

Pretty amazing way.

3. LN91 says:

If the lockout occurs, does this mean that everyones contracts for the 2012-2013 season get voided as well?

If so, then I’m all for the lockout. We lose some bad contracts and allows all the prospects one more year to develop in the AHL.

Not to mention, our likelihood of picking high again would be probably be better than the Leafs attempting for tenth place.

I’, kind of joking…But kind of serious.

• reinjosh says:

That’s a good question. Really good. Good call.

I can’t recall what happened last time and I really wouldn’t know how to approach answering it.

Good points about the good of losing a year contract wise though.

To be honest though, I don’t see either side going into a lockout (maybe something similar to the NBA this year but not a full lockout).

• TimTheBone says:

I’m not so sure that it burns a year off contracts….. I think its just nothing moves on…. No one gets paid but contracts stay the same….

That’s my thoughts… I could be wrong…. I just don’t remember a situation where players had a year burned off contracts…. It wouldn’t make sense in the general understanding of a contract …. If you don’t play that’s not following the contract… Why would it still move forward???

Again just my thoughts

• reinjosh says:

It’s a good point. I suppose maybe its considered a lost year like an injury year?

I know injured players still got paid that year until they were medically cleared. That seems to suggest that the contracts did go on.

• nordiques100 says:

It does burn the year. Toronto had Roberts, Leetch and niewy under contract in 2005 but with the lockout they were UFAs in 2006.

It would help Toronto some ways: Lombardi and Connolly off the books. But they’d lose Mac and bozak for nothing.

• LN91 says:

Very true, Toronto has a bunch of ‘rental players’ they can deal at the deadline.

One thing i don’t understand is many Leaf fans on this site (think I remember josh mentioning it) want to use the amnesty clause, if in the new CBA, on Komisarek. I don’t agree with that. His contract sucks, but at 2 years and 4.5 million cap hit…I’ve seen worse. It’s not like he’s horrible, just overpaid, and I would not waste the thing on this contract.

Especially since Toronto only has 34 million dollars in players tied up next season? And the only major priority might be Lupul.

Toronto will have tons of cap space after next season and most likely the lower lines (where Lombardi, Connolly…and Bozak should be playing) can be filled out with some of the two-way gritty prospects we have in 2013-2014. Like Ross or Biggs.

• nordiques100 says:

Connolly is the most useless player on Toronto so he should be Amnestied.

But who knows when this comes into effect. Komisarek could be too. Its not a big loss other than pension money for the teachers.

• 93killer93 says:

The Leafs, Islanders, Hurricanes, Blue Jackets, Jets and Wild would all be tied for the best odds at getting the top pick if there is a full season lockout. So there is some benefit for Toronto if there is a lockout. It also would give Burke another full year as GM.

• LN91 says:

What about Oilers and Canadiens?

• 93killer93 says:

The rules were each team starts with 3 balls and loses one for every 1st overall pick they were awarded(winning the lottery, trading up doesn’t count) in the last 4 years and playoff appearance in the last 3 years. So the above teams mentioned would all have 3 balls, minus the Islanders since they had the 1st pick in 2009. Montreal and Edmonton would have the worst possible odds with 1 ball each.

• toronto77 says:

I would be absolutely fukn livid if another lockout happened.

4. LN91 says:

I’ll give props where props is due…And I will give it to Kadri for his offseason because he’s apparently spent all summer with Gary Roberts, a fitness guru who has worked with Skinner and Stamkos.

Here’s a nice little article:

He wants to play in the NHL yes, but he seemed to believe that he can get away with being highly skilled. He needs to put in the actual offseason work and I think this past season was a huge wakeup call for him.

Like I’ve debated with many others here, skill is dead in this league. if you can’t be the complete package, than you’re pretty much done.

Teams are looking for the next Dustin Brown’s…Not the next Alexander Semin’s (obviously).

• reinjosh says:

Skill is dead in this league? I’d say that’s a little bit of hyperbole. Look at Hodgson, Ennis, Roy, Whitney hell even Parise. Saying skill is dead is a little much.

It certainyl helps if you can bang your way around but skill is dead? Come on.

And he seemed to believe he could get away with being “highly skilled”? From all indications I’ve seen from this kid, that’s the least of what he thinks. I’d like to know where you got this idea from.

And as for the alluding to Kadri being a Semin like player? That’s one of the worst comparison’s I’ve ever seen. He doesn’t play a like at all. Hell Kadri plays more like that game you speak of than Semin does. Kadri isn’t a mere skill player. He’s one of the feistiest guys on the ice at all times.

• LN91 says:

Roy was shipped out for the latter? Was he not? Parise is a great two-way player, he’s not one-dimensional and Whitney only developed a complete game with age. The other two…Have not shown much in this league thus far. Being greatly skilled means nothing if you can’t bring somewhat of a complete game together.

And Kadri did. He admitted he has never worked out properly during the offseason, which to me suggests he thought he could get by in this league with his skill set. This season was a big wakeup call, he has people passing him in the depth charts and people creeping up on him. If he did not do start working hard, he would’ve been screwed royally.

Especially with Carlyle as coach, there would’ve been no way he would stand a shot at making this team.

• TimTheBone says:

You’re just talking about hard work and dedication…. Not being a complete player… There are plenty of guys in the league who don’t play a two way game but are still top notch….. Kessel is a prime example…. The guy is as far from gritty as it gets… Won’t be playing a powerplay.. but is a top line forward who will score 30 goals guaranteed….

It’s just hard work and dedication

• Gambo says:

Parise isn’t pure skill, he is everything. Hodgson, Ennis and Roy aren’t great players, I personally don’t like Hodgson at all. I agree that skill is not dead, I just wouldn’t have used those players as examples.

You’re right with Kadri not being just a skill player though. Most people like to think that he’s some soft, pussy player with good hands, but he can play the body. He isn’t huge, the kid can hit though.

One thing that I’ve always admired about him, you mentioned it, is how he can get under the opposing players skin. I’ve always loved the players who can chirp the other team haha, one thing I’ll seriously miss about Armstrong.

Kadri likes to throw hits, he’s a very tenacious forechecker and likes to use his body. He just doesn’t have a good head on his shoulders. But yes, you’re right Gambo, that is a common misconception about Nazem Kadri.