Bolland for Luongo? Not a chance

rumors

Once again the idea of the Chicago Blackhawks trading for Vancouver Canucks goaltender Roberto Luongo has reared its ugly head. Over the weekend, a story in the Vancouver Province said the teams have been talking and “reportedly” the Hawks have dangled Dave Bolland for the embattled netminder.

There are so many reasons this would be a bad idea it’s hard to pick the best one. In fact, trading anyone for Luongo remains a poor notion. Talk about creating a bigger headache than you already have …

Bolland is a valuable player. For what the Hawks need out of Luongo he simply may not be. At least not for what his contract dictates him to be. If he still was, the Canucks would not be trading him. And the Hawks are short on centers as it is. Potentially upgrading themselves in goal will only come back to haunt them up the middle. Most important is the idea that the Canucks believe they can get full value — which Bolland would be — for Luongo. The whole league knows he’s being moved. If the Hawks trade a quasi top-6 forward for Luongo, Vancouver would be committing highway robbery.

And no matter his public proclamations, Luongo doesn’t want any part of leaving one pressure cooker for another. Not a chance. His leash with fans in Chicago wouldn’t last through the fan convention this weekend let alone his first soft goal. The Hawks know this. There has been no indication from them — publicly or privately — throughout the offseason that they are interested in Luongo other than perhaps the usual perfunctory phone calls that can be chalked up to due diligence.

31 Responses to Bolland for Luongo? Not a chance

1. HABSdomination says:

Nice article and all oh-so true. Luongo is basically fucked for now. He’ll probably end up in Florida, where he wants to go to become M. Nobody in the street and proceed to the bank for the next 10 years and end his career like a schmuck, in a schmuck market.

What a loser.

Hope for the sake of hockey that i’m wrong. What a combeack story he could make if he proved everyone wrong. But… i just don’t see that happening.

2. reinjosh says:

Funny, a Chicago based ESPN blogger claiming he knows that Luongo doesn’t want to be in a pressure cooker market. There are som any things wrong with this it isn’t funny. For one it’s ESPN, which is notoriously bad with hockey. Two it’s a blogger which carries about zero journalistic credibility. Three the guy is from Chicago and clearly biased.

Luongo gets a lot of crap in the hockey world and I’m not sure why. He’s much better than people give him credit. His cap hit is pretty awesome. His contract length sucks but he’s clearly one of the most consistent goalies in the league.

Try to name a bigger choker… maybe Bryzgalov?

• reinjosh says:

When has he choked? The Olympic Medal Game when Parise scored? Watch the goal. It’s sort of hard to defend against two undefended players in front of your net after you stop the first shot…choker that does not make him.

The playoff run to the Stanley Cup Final? His whole team choked, he was hardly the only one (and I’d say he wasn’t at all responsible for the Stalney Cup Final meltdown).

Those two events make him a choker? Come on, give me a break.

The Parise goal was bad, although at the tike I saw it coming. Lu had been fighting the puck all game.

The behind the net goal against Nashville, then the shot from the corner the following game. Both goals in the clutch dying minutes. Pulled 3 times in a 7-game cup final, giving up too many bad goals to count, and you say its “not his fault”. Look if you just choose not to see it were gonna have to agree to disagree.

I was never a Lu basher before. I pretty much call it like I see it with him. I’ve become a basher because of the ignorant support of Luongo from Leaf fans. I’m really worried that he might wear the Blue and White.

Actually Josh, I’m really surprised that you of all people on here are in favour of Lu, despite his struggles the last few years. You and I both know hockey is played on the ice, not on paper.

• reinjosh says:

I’ve watched him many times and trust me, the “lapses” you speak of, are no different than any other goalie that has ever played this game. It’s part of the position, bad angle shots come at you and get through. Nary has a goalie existed where this sort of thing didn’t happen. Ever seen Rinne play? The guy does the exact same thing, if not worse than Luongo does. It’s infuriating but he’s still one of the 3 best goalies in the game right now.

Like Steven said, it’s part of the position. Goalies aren’t perfect and they go through periods of struggle. Luongo is a high calibre goalie and has been for a long time. He’s certainly a top 10 goalie in my mind and I honestly cannot agree with your indications of him being a mere “15-25ish solid starter”.

He is so much more than that. And yeah stats aren’t everything but can you honestly tell me that being that consistent for that long is lucky or just his team.

It’s beyond logic to me that a goalie who in 12 seasons has only 3 seasons below a .917 save percentage, and none under .913 (while playing for a pretty crappy Florida team too) is merely a “solid starter”.

Since the lockout, he’s been top 14 or better in all but one season (where he was 18). In 3 of those season he was top 5 or better. In one he was top 10.

There are very few goalies in this league that are that good, that consistently. Lundqvist, Backstrom and Thomas are about the only ones that have been anywhere near that type of consistency. None else have been

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

lol all you Luongo bashes always use the same 2 arguments to pick Luongo apart. Every goalie in the league had 2 major fuck-ups, heck every goalie in the league has dozens.

No goalie is perfect and sometimes they don’t play 100%. You cannot hope for a goalie to play bad only at the right times, sometimes they play like that in the playoffs.

I mean would you consider Fleury a shitty goalie for his play this year and if the Leafs could get him for the crappy packages we are offering for Luongo would you turn it down?

The fact is Luongo is the best option right now if we can get him for the right price. And arguing he is too streaky is a bad one especially (correct me if I’m wrong) if you consider Reimer the future of the Leafs. I and most would call his play at the end of the year something much worse than streaky and yet people still think he is worth giving another shot.

Now I’m not saying that you have to like or want Luongo on the Leafs, it is ok if you don’t, but we gotta stop using streaky as an argument especially when the guy we want/need has done nothing but win.

And just for fun a list of goalies that have been “streaky” in their careers:

Ward
            Fleury
            Price
            Hiller
            Miller
            etc
            etc
            etc

I think you get the point. lol. 😛

Like I said, Fleury has that “extra gear” which makes up for his consistency issues, ditto for Ward, Lu is more like a Jimmy Howard type, in that he can be great for hit stretches but is not a clutch goalie, not a guy with that so called extra gear. He’s a loser, plain and simple.

• But you’d surely take Jimmy Howard on your team, no?

• Shoelesshobo says:

I am not going to praise or put down Jimmy Howard until I see him without the Detroit defense. As of right now Detroit lost two MAJOR cogs on D and we will see if Howard is a starter goalie and one of the better in the league.

As per Mojo. While I would not say I am all for going after Luongo I have to say he is the best option out there. I mean ideally we missed our chance when we never signed Vokoun. That right there was our best chance at some goalie stability but that ship has sailed now. Like people have said Goalies choke I mean it happens. That being said I am really now looking towards what Reimer can do with a good rest and a clear bill of health. If he can return to his form then I don’t see why we could not clench 6 to 8 seed. If Gillis is willing to go into the year with Lu on his payroll as a backup let the man do it. Just going to turn a bad situation worse.

Not huge on Howard, he’s solid but unspectacular.

• toronto77 says:

I wouldn’t say his team chocked and bailed out on him, it’s the other way around. Vancouver got killed in all 3 games in Boston, and the game was basically out of reach by the end of the 1st period in all 3. Luongo let in A LOT of softies. He crumbled what confidence the team had and they could never get it together in order to get back into the game.

Whenever a team loses a playoff round, the goalie hardly gets the blame as he is usually the most important player on the team and the players have a lot of respect for him.

But Luongo on the other hand played a big part in the failure of the team. Though the rest of the team played like shit, he didn’t give them a lot of support, even Leighton and Niemi had better performances in 2010.

Correct, Toronto77. Everyone else read that post, its 100% accurate. Sorry to tell you Luongo fan-boys.

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

by that reasoning Fleury is a POS goalie because of his pitiful series against Philadelphia. He let in bad goals and never gave his team a chance to win.

In fact comparing those 2 different series Fleury’s team at least could produce and if Fleury did play well they would have crushed Phily, Vancouver on the other hand most likely would have lost most if not all of those games.

Even with that Fleury would be on everyone’s want list if he was made available.

I’ll say it again because I’m guessing no one remembers why this all started. I never said Luongo was the best goalie in the league, and I understand why some people would not want him on the Leafs but the fact is Luongo is arguably top 10 in the league and would not only make the Leafs better but give them a shot to play for a cup (the rest of the team has to be good enough too but that is true with or without Luongo).

And you have to admit, he is the best goalie available. The 2nd best is Bernier and Bernier hasn’t proven anything and could possibly be another Raycroft (I don’t think he will be but that is a possibility).

3. razer1818 says:

Well for starters As a Leaf fan I want yes I WANT Luongo in TO. Would love to see Bobby Lu in the Blue and white. This will not be the first time the Leafs took a chance on what is said to be a goalie th is “WASHED UP or ON HIS WAY OUT” The leafs did this with fan Favourite Cojo and Eddie the Eagle, both said to be past their prime. If history is to repeat its self god i cant wait to see Luongo in the Blue and white.

Except Cujo and Eddie were top end goalies. Big difference.

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

that doesn’t make any sense, how is Luongo not a top end goalie? At best you can say Cujo was a better all time goalie but that would only be arguable especially if we look at the stats:

-Both have an Olympic Gold (Cujo wasn’t the starting goalie, I believe he got benched after the first game and lost his spot to Brodeur)
        -Both have similar playoff records (GAA / Sv%)
        -Luongo has a better regular season record
        -Luongo lead his team to the SC finals. Cujo did not.

So yeah Luongo is definitely better than Cujo by those standards and they are pretty damn good standards.

Not a top end goalie… lol.

• dumbassdoorman says:

I loved how hard Cujo played for the Leafs, but he was a choker. He let in bad goals at bad times, I mean he couldn’t even win in Detroit…..and that wwas a helluva team. Plus Cujo didn’t come to the Leafs as washed up, at least not the first time….lol. But they are comparable goalies for sure.

They are very comparable. Cujo was a huge choker. I’ll never forget that islanders series in ’02 (Adrian Aucoin anyone?)

Good call.

Steve, stop listing team accomplishments and crediting Lu. Niemi is by your definition better than both.

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

fine then don’t look at the awards and the accomplishments, just look at the stats. Even with a shitty Florida team he put up great numbers. I guess you think that means nothing too?

Heck by your reasoning I bet you think Brodeur is/was a useless goalie? I mean he did lose his spot to Luongo in the Olympics and isn’t Luongo a washed up loser even though he is producing the exact same way he did 2+ years ago?

No Steve, I think Luongo was great in Florida. I think he was a top 3-4 goalie in the league with Florida. Problem is, that was a long time ago and he doesn’t play up to that level anymore. The reason you love him so much is because he used to be great.

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

maybe that is true, he used to be a President’s Trophy winner and that I feel is an incredible accomplishment and IMO made him a great goalie, at the very least a highly skilled goaltender…. oh wait. lol

Giguere is roughly the same age and his accomplishments by far out weigh Lu’s. Since you’re only interested in the name power, pedigree, and resume your top targets *should be Thomas and Giggy…but they’re not, because you just like Lu. It’s cool, everyone has their favourite players, but its easy to over rate them and sometimes difficult to admit or realize their short-comings. You gotta stop living in the past and realize that Roberto Luongo 2012 is not Bobby Lu 2004.

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

right because Luongo in 2012 is not Luongo in 2011 right? Get over yourself.

You go on about me not being able to realize Luongo’s true value and yet your to stupid to realize that Luongo is a good goalie.

You say Luongo is not the same goalie he was when he was younger, no kidding moron of course not. Brodeur isn’t the same goalie he was in 2004 either but he is still elite and he would still make the Leafs exponentially better in goal for next season.

Luongo is a good goalie… fact.

He makes the Leafs a better team… another fact.

Would we be better off with a young version of Luongo or better? Of course we would but there is no such goalie available. Bernier is the closest but he proved less than lets say Raycroft proved when we traded for him.

Luongo is the best goalie available, if he can be picked up for a cap dump, a prospect or 2 we don’t give a crap about, and non-1st round picks then we have to do it to make us a playoff team.

• nordiques100 says:

i prefer Bernier over Luongo but i think Mojo your reasoning is a bit off the wall in thinking Luongo is absolute shit.

Your hatred is like he slept with your wife hatred. Beat up your kids hatred. We get it that you absolutely hate this guy, but cmon, Luongo is a proven, top goalie.

he to me, isn’t worth giving up their 1st rounder and Kulemin for.

but….if the Canucks reduce their demands, and accept a similar package as what was offered for Bernier, I wouldn’t mind it.

You simply cannot be that ignorant to believe Luongo isnt better than what the Leafs have had since the lockout. You simply can’t.

I don’t hate him, I’m just calling it like I see it. I’ve seen him let in way too many brutal goals in key situations. I have zero interest. If you don’t see it (probably because he was great a long time ago, and you’re looking at the name on the back of the jersey and not the goals allowed) that’s too bad for you.

4. dumbassdoorman says:

I am intrigued if the Bernier offer rumor is true. Also for the record Burke had stated they kicked tires on young goalies but didn’t like them, for those who are going to claim he is lying and back tracking.

• nordiques100 says:

He’s not doing his job if he is not kicking tires on all players.

He’s been full of bull since he first started. “my teams build from the goal out”.

Taking his word as gospel is ignorant. Man has a job to do to make the Leafs better. He’ll do it whatever way is sensible and reasonable.

If Luongo is an unreasonable price (to me, a 1st and Kulemin is completely unreasonable just so they can rid themselves of Komisarek), good on him to explore other options if they are out there.