Rich Chere/The Star-Ledger

There is enough interest around the league in Brendan Shanahan that the veteran winger is already looking forward to training camp and his 22nd NHL season.

But agent Rick Curran wouldn’t say on Monday if Shanahan and the Devils were getting close to a deal. Shanahan, 40, is an unrestricted free agent.

“I have nothing to report at this time,” Curran said. “I’m encouraged to the extent that I know Brendan will be playing this year. That’s all I’m prepared to say.”

Asked to characterize talks with the Devils, Curran said: “I can’t.”

Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello has said he’d like to bring Shanahan back at the right price. He also said the decision would hinge on discussions with new head coach Jacques Lemaire.

Curran said he didn’t know if a decision on Shanahan’s future would happen in the next few days or weeks, but said the future Hall of Famer would be reporting to an NHL training camp. He will not have to wait until mid-season before being signed, as he did last season.

9 Responses to Brendan Shanahan ready for 22nd NHL season, but will it be with New Jersey Devil

1. Kramer says:

Finally the move to put the Rangers over the top.

2. BobHasToGo says:

I think Shanny would be a great signing for any young club looking for leadership and a great mentor. I believe that if the Habs signed him a couple years back, we would see a totally different team then we have now. Shanny would have shown Latendresse, Lapierre and the young guys what it takes to win and what you have to sacrifice in order to succeed.

Best of luck where ever you end up!!!

3. hockey_lover says:

Hogwash. There are certain people around here that think Latendresse is the next Cam Neely. As if Cam Neely needs advice from Shannahan.

4. BobHasToGo says:

I never once said that Latendresse was anywhere near comparable to Cam Neely…But if you look at the HABS for the last 5 years, who have we had as a true leader and warrior…Koivu, Kovalev, Laraque, Kostopolus???? I mean seriously, you need a role model/mentor for the young guys, I don't care what team you are…

5. hockey_lover says:

Obviously you dont spend much time around these boards.

I wasnt referring to you. I was referring to that mindtrust Dandoeagle. He has said more than once that Latendresse is the next Cam Neely.

Nevermind.

6. pezzz123 says:

Vaclav Prospal just got bought out by the Lightning.

Weird move.

If my Flames can have him for 2.5 millions, sign him!! He can score 20+ and put up 50+ points.

7. albertateams says:

I agree add prospal for cheap if posible under the 2.5 but for only 1 year.

Prospal Okinen Iginla
    Bourqe Langkow Moss
    Glencross Conroy Sjostrom
    Nystrom Boyd Dawes

Greentree, McGrattan, Prust, Backlund, Stuart

Bouwmeester Phaneuf
    Regehr Giordano
    Sarich Pardy

Aulie, Negrin, Pelech, Stralman, Kronwal

Kiprusoff
    McElhinney

Irving

I wouldn't mind that at all for an opening day lineup.

8. pezzz123 says:

that would be sooo sick.

But I'd put Bourque on the top line and Prospal on the 2nd.

9. wayne2 says:

Prospal was bought out by Tampa,i think they did that to make room to sign Tanguay(Tanguay/Lecavalier/St-Louis 1st line)

As for Shanahan i think he would fit better in San Jose.