Burke shopping Sergei?

Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun is reporting that Brian Burke may be interested in moving Sergei Fedorov once he returns from injury.There was nothing reported about what he would want in return, and Fedorov is one of the highest paid players in the game, so for cap reasons he would be difficult to move. Still this is something to keep an eye on, I remember hearing rumors of him being moved in the summer, so this rumor may have some truth to it.

Also I’ve read in a couple places that Mike Comrie could be on the move in busy Phoenix. I guess they might not be done yet. (Comrie was scratched, and has no goals this year, so who knows?)

75 Responses to Burke shopping Sergei?

1. muckies says:

I remember Coach Murray tried to get Comrie from the Oilers, maybe he wants him in Ottawa.

Comrie for Havlat???

Fedorov for Havlat maybe???

Coach Murray did sign him in Anaheim, and Hasek knows what he brings to a Stanley Cup team.

I don’t think the Sens could afford him but maybe later in the year, near the deadline – they have some room, but not 7 million.

2. Flyer_Dman says:

Both of those trades are pretty lopsided.

3. G0LEAFSG0 says:

PENIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Bishop7979 says:

Well, it only took 3 years of garrioch saying that Bonk was going to be dealt for it to actually happen, so I’d say we’ll see this sometime around 2008

5. JeffBurnz09 says:

What happened to Comrie? He was good in Edmonton, to the point he felt he deserved more money from the team…but Philly kept him only a few weeks, and now Phoenix wants to get rid of him.

I’m not surprised Burke would want to move Federov. I think Ottawa would be a good fit, but they can’t afford him. They’ll have enough trouble re-signing their own top offensive talent, let alone bringing in an already highly paid player. If they could bring him in for the playoffs it would be a good move, but long term I don’t see how they can afford him.

I think Anahiem will move him…or at least try very hard to do so, but I don’t know where he might end up. I always thought he’d be a good fit in LA to, but I don’t know what their cap situation is.

6. WYflyerfan says:

there is only a few teams with the salary cap space for him. I imagine teams like carolina, nashville, or like columbus have the space. I could be wrong but I don’t want to go and add up all the teams salary on NHLPA web site. You would think he would stand out player in the new NHL.

7. muckies says:

Garrioch is a bum, but teams should start dealing soon to re-align themselves

8. Mullet says:

if federov is dealt my opinion is he would end up in either colorado for tanguay or st louis for tkachuk and weight.

9. Mullet says:

this new nhl sucks! no hits no grappling no fights its just that european hockey crap! oooh lets watch this little guy weave through the ice cause no one is allowed to touch him. i liked better when it was lets watch this little guy weave through the and bam he gets smacked with his head down. the new rules are causing players to hold back so they don’t get a penalty. plus all these penalties are tickin me off. i can only stand to watch a team ice the puck on the penalty kill for so long.

10. RangerSteve says:

That’s a very bad contract for any team to make a move on.

I don’t think he’ll go to LA, because they have Roenick at Centre, and Conroy. They don’t really need another top centre. Plus Demitra is a natural centre too.

Thats crazy, because Anaheim would never bring in Tkachuck (7 and half mil) and Weight (6 and a half mil).

13. -Swizz- says:

in the past, teams could trade a high-price player, and pick up part of the contract (like washington did in the jagr deal)

how would that work now under the salary cap?

if anaheim dealt fedorov and picked up part of the salary, would that portion count towards anaheims cap? and the remainder would count towards fedorov’s new team? or does the whole amount count towards fedorovs new team?

14. shapter07 says:

federov is way better than havlat

15. thatleafsguy says:

Feds would be perfect for the Buffalo Sabres or the Capitals.

16. Kamakaze says:

Acctually, with the kind of team Buffalo has, he migh be a good fit. I could see Burke wanting a guy like Drury, to kind of replace Rucchin maybe, and a prospect or something.

However, I don’t know that Buffalo would make a deal that didn’t involve them getting a decent defenseman.

As for the Caps, they have their veteran center in Cassels, who isn’t doin to well, I don’t think they want to take on Federovs high salary. The only logical reason would maybe be to sell seats, but his name alone will only fo that for so long…

17. Hockey_Fan_99 says:

VAGINA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Byzzy says:

The Ottawa Sun is never a good reference for rumors, but everybody agrees Fedorov is not worth his contract. The only way they can rid of him is to pay a portion of the salary, à-la-Jagr.

Event there, he’s a Russian. That means you can’t trade him anywhere. He needs motivation to produce, and production to motivate.

Anaheim is stucked with him until the trade deadline. Then we will see.

19. Hockey_Fan_99 says:

I think federov to pheonix, Nashville, Buffalo, or Pittsburgh

20. Montrealsdogg says:

isn’t Washington way under the minimum cap so adding a high priced talent could bring them at that mark no?

21. bernie1parent says:

pittsburgh, theyve already use all their cap room

22. bernie1parent says:

pittsburgh, theyve already used all their cap room

23. Hockey_Fan_99 says:

HOMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. Hockey_Fan_99 says:

what? they are 7million under the NHL cap but they are at their self imposed cap atm but whos to say that cant change they will already go into debt again this season and knowing the pens this year why not sign another name

25. thatleafsguy says:

keep dreming pens_fan you need defense not fedorov.

26. LeafyMcLeaf says:

I could see Comrie and Fedorov both with the Sens, but it would require the departure of Havlat. Although it would add two solid centres, and the Sens would go from last year, the worst team at centre possibley, to the best. My guess is Havlat to Phoenix in a deal for Comrie, and prospects and shit for Fedorov. The Sens have good enough prospects to land Sergei, and the Yotes won’t a player who can score now, and they’ve got good cap room.

Heatley/Spezza/Boshensky

Alfredson/Fedorov/Varada

Niel/Comrie/Fischer

McGratton/Smolinski/Schaeffer

Chara/Redden

Phillips/Pothier

Volchenkov/Meszaros

Hassek

Emery

I doubt they’ll win the cup, even with this roster. While Hasek and Fedorov would add some experience, they just don’t have a playoff mentality, and while other teams give it everything they’ve got in the playoffs, the Sens seem to treat it like any other game, and that’s why they always lose to the Leafs, the Leafs play their guts out in the playoffs, while the Sens play the same as the regular season.

27. thatleafsguy says:

and how do the sens supplement fedorov’s large salary?

28. Hockey_Fan_99 says:

alrighty there H_E_DBL_HCKY_STCKS

29. Hockey_Fan_99 says:

with your mom H_E_DBL_HCKY_STCKS

30. Kamakaze says:

One player won’t help this team, high draft picks and prospects will. Why dump a guy like Federov, who can obviously help a real contender, in a place like that? He won’t be happy, and neither will they in a few years when their rookies want more money and he is still making 7 mil… Not saying they won’t do it, but it wouldn’t be a good move.

31. G0LEAFSG0 says:

Awesome english bro

32. G0LEAFSG0 says:

Awesome english bro

33. thatleafsguy says:

try your mom she has more room in her coochie pens_fan.

34. FlyersFanForever says:

The bag of pucks sitting next to me is saying that Sergie will be dealt to the leafs for Antropov, a pilon, and a fist full of french fries with cheese curds and gravy. I’m sorry, I guess all I really wanted to do was ask what in the hell is that french fry slop called anyway? I thnk it’s a Canadian dish. Sounds gross! Anyway, who has the most cap space to play with? It seems that there could only be a couple of teams that could afford him and even then it would require a trade. I don’t see him going anywhere at all. Especially if the the salary cap goes again down next year.

35. Hockey_Fan_99 says:

try your mom she has more room in her coochie H_E_DBL_HCKY_STCKS

36. habs79 says:

He had Bonk on the trade block longer than 3 years.

37. JannettyTheRocker says:

BANNED!!!!!!!!

38. Hockey_Fan_99 says:

OILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

suck

39. habs79 says:

Pittsburgh already has Crosby, and Lemieux as thier top two centers. Buffalo has Briere and Drury, so I doubt he would go there. Nashville might be the best fit as center is their weakest position, and they have talented wingers for him to play with, not sure what their cap is though. If teams wait till the deadline, Federov might be had for the same kind of deal like when Kovalev went to Montreal.

40. JannettyTheRocker says:

How about the Oilers? They could fit Sergei Fedorov under the cap, and are in desperate need of a number one centre. The Oilers payroll adds up to $33,062,340. I am sure they would have to trade some prospects and/or roster guys to get Sergei Fedorov, but I wouldn’t put it past Kevin Lowe at this point…………I could see the Oil trading captain (D) Jason Smith $1,976,000, (F) Radek Dvorak $1,596,000, and a combination of draft picks or prospects for (F) Sergei Fedorov $6,080,000.

Oilers pick up $6,080,000 and drop $ 3,572,000 which is a difference of $2,508,000.

Kevin Lowe was looking for a top line center and I am sure he could part with an extra $2.5 million per year to have Sergei Fedorov.

Federov would fit nicely on a team with a free flowing, speedy, crash the net style of play.

Anyone agree?

41. Hockey_Fan_99 says:

Oilers need to focus on a goalie atm

42. JannettyTheRocker says:

I tell you, Jussi Markkanen is a great goaltender. We need a scoring/playmaking centre like Fedorov before we need another goaltender…………Maybe if we pickup a guy like a Felix Potvin as a free-agent to share duties with Markkanen. But I really like this Fedorov deal. Hopefully it will happen.

43. Hockey_Fan_99 says:

Markkanen is good but hes 30 years old and been in 76 games and has never made a playoff appearence once………………….if the oilers wanna make a serious playoff run they need a number 1 goalie with experience what you should do is trade Conklin and a pick or prospect for Kolzig

44. Hockey_Fan_99 says:

what is NYR salary cap currently sitting at? is they can afford federov i can see him going to NYR

45. Hockey_Fan_99 says:

Lemieux needs to be put back on the wing and play on the topline with Crosby

Lemieux – Crosby – Palffy

Leclair – Federov – Recchi

46. JannettyTheRocker says:

That would be great for the Oilers. Having both Kolzig and Markkanen, I could definitely live with that!!!

47. Hockey_Fan_99 says:

If they landed Kolzig id be cheering “GO OILERS GO” right along with ya!