Canucks in tough to land Shane Doan despite multi-year offer

It may not have been the big fish Canucks fans were hoping for, but you can bet pumping a 140-pound tuna to the surface in Panama was memorable for a vacationing GM Mike Gillis.

Those tuna are renowned fighters and that was a huge fish. It’s not easy.

Much like trying to land Shane Doan.

The Canucks are in on the Doan sweepstakes, having offered the power forward a competitive multi-year contract that is at least three years in length.

How competitive? Well, it’s relative, but teams aren’t in on Doan if they’re offering one- and two-year deals.

The Canucks offer probably is not near the four-year, $30 million monster an Eastern Conference team reportedly tabled.

But that offer did have a ring of absurdity to it. You could see it coming from the Magical Man who lives in Happy-Land on Lollipop Lane.

Whether it’d be enough to sway Doan remains to be seen. But, remember, this is a player who has dedicated his entire career to the Phoenix Coyotes organization. Could that same player be lured to a situation that doesn’t fit his criteria just because it’s the largest financial windfall?

First and foremost among Doan’s criteria is to stay in Phoenix.

He wouldn’t be rounding into late July without a contract otherwise. And his return to Phoenix became more likely Monday when Glendale formally rejected the petition which was seeking a referendum on the Coyotes lease agreement.

49 Responses to Canucks in tough to land Shane Doan despite multi-year offer

1. RobJordan says:

Leafs should go hard for Doan, and Trade Lupul for a solud centre. After his great year, Lupul coul be swapped with Weiss or Statsny.

• ZillyHoo says:

Neither of them are the top guy we’re looking for though. Weiss plays great when he’s in Toronto but he’s a 60-70 point ceiling center – like Grabovski. Stastny is a younger and more productive version of Conolly. I like him. I do. But he’s not the guy.

2. ZillyHoo says:

What do people think about picking up Gilbert Brule? We can get him for cheap and he’s the type of guy Burke has been picking up – young, needs a fresh start and talented. If he doesn’t work out, we dump him.

I don’t believe in the kid. I think he’s a third liner for life. But I wouldn’t hate it of we moved out a couple bodies, ie Lombardi, Connolly, and maybe Bozak.

• ZillyHoo says:

How about an add on of Petr Sykora? Solid play with the Devils last year and put up some good points. Third line vet, something we could use.

• blaze says:

No thanks. Not even considerable IMO. Look at the current line up I posted below, where does he fit? I would’ve been cool with Arnott who provides better leadership and size but Sykora just loses his job to someone else.

3. blaze says:

EVERYONE CHAT HERE

So mojo this is in repo we to your comment if you see this. As for you Nords I didn’t mean to sound overly critical I appreciate your viewpoint from a different angle I just disagree with it.

As for Burke and his ethics I think it just shows how stubborn he is. Why is he against RFA offer sheets as well? Do you think the owners would take any issue with the Leafs acquiring a young very marketable player like Evander Kane?

Some players that have been available just did not appeal to Burke for whatever reason such as Gaborik or Kovalchuk. As for Richards it’s hard to say why he won’t do these front loaded long term deals. He seems convinced that the new CBA will eliminate them. He also continues to have a strong allegiance to the NHL brass. It feels like his long term goal is to one day be commissioner.

Also he did throw out a big money deal to Richards, while not as high as the Ranges still in the ballpark. I doubt ownership had anything to do with that. Deadline day pisses Burke off because he can’t bully other GMs. Burke likes to patiently work on deals and not overpay. On deadline day Burke repeatedly gets outbid by other GMs. I think this is where Nonis’ influence show through as well.

I miss the aggressive Burke as well but I can’t help but think its not ownership, atleast not yet. I’m not a fan of the new owners but I think its too early in the game for them to be meddling. They still have so much internal issues to settle like broadcast rights and game splits and did they Ben select long term member for the board yet?

What an incredible poor business decision that would be. As much as it might not surprise me that they eventually interfere they do so at they’re own risk. They are not hockey people. But let’s face it they desperately want the playoffs. The Leafs brought back to respectability and long playoffs runs would be a huge financial windfall for them.

I’m torn. I still think there’s something more than meets the eye. I also like your “commissioner” theory. That would explain some, and Burkes input is always news during GM meetings…

• reinjosh says:

I agree. It’s not as black and white as some have made it out to be on Gaborik/Kovy etc. There are more factors in those examples .

And commissioner point is an interesting one. I’ve more and more recently thought he’d be a natural replacement for the day Bettman leaves. He has the relationship with the owners, he’s a lawyer and has a firm understanding of the workings in the league/CBA etc and he can also take the heat that would go with the job.

I do think this is also a product of Nonis taking over more and more every day. His style is starting to assert itself and its showing. I think that this has more to do with us seeing less “aggressive Burke” and more “tame Burke” if you will.

4. So, there’s a rumor/several articles saying that should Doan sign with another team, he’s looking for a 4 year/30 Million contract – 7.5 per year. Perhaps just a play to get phoenix to offer him that much?

• ZillyHoo says:

I think it’s just a rumor. Teams are willing to pay him 7m for 1-2 years, but that’s it. I think he’s trying to get onto a contender right now. His days in Phoenix are hopefully over. The man should get out and get on on a cup winner. He’d look good on the Pens or Canucks

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

cap floor teams who need to hit the floor will gladly give Doan a 4 year deal, if he retires you spend 7M+ less cash in those retired years, if he doesn’t you get Doan for 4 seasons.

You win either way.

• ZillyHoo says:

Now I think we’re overrating Doan a bit. 7m a year is something I would never do, even if he is Doan, I don’t know why teams would do that or why he would ask for that. 4.5m-6m is as much as I would give him. He brings leadership, grit, two-way play and skill to the table, but he is not worth 7m a year. He is on the decline and 7m for a declining 35 year old + player for a multi year deal is just too much. I think he’ll play until he’s 40, so no chance he retires unless he wins a cup IMO.

• For teams needing a solid player and with cap space, such as Toronto, I think it’s a deal you don’t pass up. Sure, you’re over paying, but you know what you’re getting – a gritty, on the edge, heartfelt, 100% effort every night, player. For a team like the rangers already paying Gaborik, Nash, and Richards, I’m not sure another 7.5 contract is best for the team.

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

7M is probably too much for him but considering what everyone is signing for and that most teams are desperate to hit the cap floor Doan will get that 6-8M from somebody easily.

Accepting that all we need to do now is figure out who should sign him and to what term. If Toronto wants him they need to get him for shorter term (2-3 years), Toronto is not a team that can afford to spend 7M under the cap to compete for some reason.

But other teams out there that are at the floor like Phoenix can easily afford a 4 year, 7M contract. First they get to the cap floor, so that is a win, and if Doan retires and Phoenix has a dead cap space of 7M for 1-2 years that is a huge win because they will effectively save an extra 7M dollars.

5. ZillyHoo says:

I wonder if we could sign Michael Houser as a prospect addition to our goaltending…

6. blaze says:

Ok time to do something a little different, kinda. Rather then post some mock lineup I wish we had what about what we do have to get a better idea of where do the Leafs go from here. Though Burke is likely not finished at this point of the off-season I think its safe to say most Leafers arn’t expecting any more major moves. Maybe some depth moves or a crack at a goalie.

Current starting lineup with some thoughts and opinions of my own.

Opening Day Forwards

Lupul. Bozak. Kessel.
    JVR. Grabovski. Kulemin.
    Connolly. McClement. MacArthur.
    Brown. Steckel. Orr.

Now for some issues, concerns and thoughts on the group.

– Frattin though not ready for the start of the season seems likely to challenge for a full time spot on the 3rd line RW.
    – Lombardi, an NHL caliber player, can’t find a role to slot into and finds himself on the outside looking in after camp.
    – Carlyle wanting an enforcer on the squad brings back Orr, however still the chance that Rosehill is re-signed. From a pure enforcer standpoint Rosehill has progressively gotten better and at this point is likely a better fighter than Orr who is having trouble rebounding from his significant concussion.
    – Kadri comes in and has a very strong camp making it very difficult on Carlyle, perhaps Connolly sits, Kulimen moves down to the 3rd line and Kadri slots in on Grabos wing. Connolly can sit or take Orrs spot on the 4th line, making things difficult for Carlyle who wants more toughness.
    – JVR gets a long look in camp at center but is simply better suited on the wing and slides in next to Grabo. As much as I hope he is the answer Leafs history says Bozak will again be the guy.
    – Colborne has a good camp but goes back to the AHL and has a great year playing reasonably well on call ups through the year. Who knows maybe by the deadline he could be the man between Kessel and Loops.
    – Ashton gets a full year in the AHL for more development, getting called up occasionally as Carlyle is a fan.
    – D’Amigo also has a strong camp but has too many players to leap frog, has a productive year in the AHL.

So overall I’d have to say a pretty disappointing group. Loads of depth but too many guys in roles not exactly a best fit for them. Should a few kids makes some noise there will be some bodies with big salary on the outside looking in. Unfortunately as well their value diminishes with less playing time. A guy like MacArthur who holds value will see his value drop if he loses out on minutes. Though I like he competition for spots a few moves seemingly will have to be made.

7. blaze says:

Current starting lineup with some thoughts and opinions of my own.

Opening Day Forwards

Lupul. Bozak. Kessel.
    JVR. Grabovski. Kulemin.
    Connolly. McClement. MacArthur.
    Brown. Steckel. Orr.

Now for some issues, concerns and thoughts on the group.

• blaze says:

Oops double post, posting from a phone is a bad idea

• kessel_leafs81 says:

i would switch macarthur and kulimen. kulimen needs to prove he’s worthy on a second line again and work his way up. and hes a bigger body and better defensively and will make a 3rd line checking line much much better. macarthur, as of last year, has better offensive instincts and as the year progresses his trade value wont be deminished and may even be better with him showing consistency, granted kadri, frattin, kulimen show there ready for the second line, i say macarthur is gone at the deadline for a mid first or a late first + prospect which i see is the way to go

• ZillyHoo says:

JVR-Grabo-MacArthur is too soft defensively and they don’t really bring grit. JVR is a mix of skill and size. He doesn’t get knocked off the puck, but he doesn’t knock people off the puck. He and Lupul will be our best forcheckers.

Kulemin stays on the second line. He can forecheck and take the puck to the net. He just needs to put it in in the net. MacArthur is a guy who needs to go. Good player. But staying in Toronto with all these young forwards coming up isn’t good for him. JVR, Kadri, Kulemin, Frattin – All guys who have a legit shot at second line minutes.

• nordiques100 says:

Another player who is likely going to challenge for the bottom 6 role is Leo Komarov.

there is hope for him to be a bit of an agitator.

Keith Aucoin too finished last year as a 4th liner with the Caps. So he could be the next version of Joey Crabb.

I can’t say it enough, if there are some physical players added with size, and who really care about the sweater they’d be wearing, and understand what it means, which would be the Leafs Original 6 blue and white, well I think that would make a big difference.

The Leafs top 6 can match up with any team. Its the bottom 6 and thus, the lack of overall depth which will keep the Leafs from advancing very far.

The lack of gritty, character players with no fear was what did in the leafs last year and will do them in this year.

They cannot again rely on Lombardi and Connolly to be energetic depth guys with a physical edge. They couldn’t be further from that description.

in 2 or 3 years, the team will have those kinds of players: Ross, McKegg, Ashton, Rupert, Broll, etc. But for now, the big team is really lacking.

• blaze says:

Good point completely forgot about Komarov. I could see him in Orrs spot with Orr slotted in for particularity nasty games.

The guy I want so bad is Clarkson. My gut tells me he won’t re-sign in Jersey but Zajac will. I know he currently isnt available but with Kovalchuk NJ won’t be doing a rebuild. I highly doubt he ever hits 30 goals again but that unfortunately makes him that much harder to acquire.

He’s a Toronto guy is he not? Throw him on the third line with Frattin and you got two bangers that have skill. Not to mention adds a very nice middleweight scrapped to the top 9 something we don’t have at all.

Depending on the season NJ has even if we have to wait until the deadline I’d love to make a move for him.

David Clarkson would probably be closer to the player we were hoping/expecting to get when Armstrong was signed. I have no problem with that kind of player.

And yes, he’s a Toronto guy, I’m pretty sure he lives in the East end of Mississauga in the summer. Close to the Lakeview golf course/Long Branch station area.

• nordiques100 says:

Clarkson would be ideal, but the Devils will likely ride it out, see how it goes. Toronto needs him now, not in mid season.

Its why i am a big fan of Kyle Clifford because i see similarities and he’s way younger than Clarkson. Probably more affordable too trade wise.

both not huge, 6’1, 205 lbs, but can handle their own. they hit, they fight, they defend teammates, they also have some offensive ability.

both played for good programs in the OHL.

I don’t know if Clarkson would leave b/c of Deboer his former junior coach. He’s blossomed under him.

But, we could have said the same with Parise who did leave. who knows.

8. blaze says:

D

Phaneuf. Gunnarson.
    Gardiner. Franson.
    Liles. Komisarek.

Blacker. Holzer.

– Phaneuf has a strong year under Carlyle continuing to grow as a Captain, his point production will likely stay the same or decrease however as it remains to be seen what type of production and PP the Leafs will have under Carlyle. Goals will be harder to come by.

– Gunnarson continues to pair with Dion as he is the best fit and makes the fewest mistakes, will log many minutes.

– Gardiner is a big question mark, will he suffer a sophomore slump? Perhaps a bit but his talent level is so high I still expect atleast a solid performance from him.

– Franson, assuming he gets re-signed, seems likely to be partnered with Jake. Though not physical he has good size and is ready for more minutes. His big shot should get a few more looks with Gardiner dishing them out.

– Liles will hopefully rebound from the concussion the derailed his excellent season. At the time of his injury he had 21pts in 34 games and was a plus player. He then went on to score 6 more points to finish the season. A good veteran puck mover who will QB either the first or second PP depending on the level of Gardiners play.

– I just can’t see Komisarek not making the team. He is getting a fresh start under Carlyle and is the type of dman he likes. In this defensive system is Komisarek keeps it simple hits, blocks shots, plays nasty and lots on PK time he could excel in getting upwards of 18 minutes a night. Unfortunately that will likely not be enough for Leafs fan whose minds are made up on the issue and as he carries a heft salary. Should mesh with Liles quite nicely who can play a game similar to Markov, where Komo was most successful.

– Holzer is likely NHL ready. His stay at home game however makes it unlikely he knocks NHL vet Komo out of a spot as it will be hard to wow at camp with simple invisible play. Either way he will see time this year on the big club and should be the 7th dman.

– Blacker is a guy that’s also knocking on the door looking for a strong camp. Hard to say whose spot he could grab since he’s offense first but his upside is definitely top 4 so he could make some noise as well.

Goalies

Reimer
    Scrivens

– Not much to say here, a gamble for sure running with these two but they both have potential. This is assuming Burke makes no moves for someone more established.

– The hope for Reimer is he is finally healthy and can go back to his old ways. I’m not so sure myself, though likeable I couldn’t help but think even argue time that his fantastic rookie run was not telling of his true potential. Though it was a larger sample size I couldn’t help but hunk of JS Aubin. Hoping I’m wrong though.

– I actually have higher hope for Scrivens. His development has been consistent at each level and I like his confidence. Will that translate to the big leagues is another question. Would love to see Theodore brought in to insulate the young tenders. If they don’t work out the season is sunk before it starts. If your goal is MacKinnon that might not be a bad thing.

• ZillyHoo says:

Would anyone hate on Burke if he moved the 2013 pick for a Getzlaf or some sort of top line center?

• dumbassdoorman says:

With a contract extention no, i would not hate it, pending the player. If that move is made they need to make sure the goaltending is solidified by a vetern as they could not afford for it to be another top 2 pick going somewhere else. people would scream for Burkes head if that happened

9. Yeah, but unfortunately, you don’t get a player like Getzlaf with a protected draft pick, not unless this is closer to trade deadline and they’re sure Getzlaf is not coming back.

• dumbassdoorman says:

Nobody mentioned the pick being protected, at least I didn’t. That’s why I said with an extention and hopefully solidifing the goaltending .

• ZillyHoo says:

I think if it was protected it’d have to go like :

If Getzlaf does not resign or sign an extension – we keep our 2013 pick but they get out 2014 1st and 2013 second

If Getzlaf resigns they get our 2013 1st 2013 2nd and 2014 1st as well as the others who were included in the trade.

I don’t know if you can do that but yeah.

Just to weigh in on the Doan $7+ mil… I wouldn’t mind over paying for a guy who would have a tremendous impact.

Beats the hell out of paying a $2 million man $4-5 mil, ie Connolly, Komi, Lombo type guys. If you’re gonna burn a couple extra mil in space to ensure that you land your guy, it might as well be on someone like Doan.

I think Doan could have a Roberts-esque impact.

• Shoelesshobo says:

Mojo I completely agree. I am not against Doan I feel him or Morrow would do this team a lot of good. They would bring a fresh voice who has been around a long time and gives the younger guys someone to look up to. As a hockey fan though I want Doan to win a cup but as a leafs fan I would be rushing myself to the store to pick up a Doan or Morrow leafs Jersey.

Honestly, who doesn’t love those types of players?

I really think with all the rumours that have come and gone over the past year, and all the changes in Dallas throughout their entire organization, that captain Brendan Morrow could be available for the right price.

I don’t know what that price is, and Morrow has been pretty banged up the last couple of years, but if I’m in charge of the Leafs I’m exploring that option, and I’m making a firm offer to Doan. I would try to bring in one or the other, if not both.

Jason Arnott is a couple years older, his best days are certainly behind him, but I think he should be another player Burke should be targeting, for his intangibles. Even if he only comes in and puts up 15 goals and maybe 35 points, give or take a few, that would be fine. How can you have success without at least 1 solid veteran on the bench to be a mentor, a leader, and someone who the young core can look up to? You need it.

For the record, I think if given the opportunity, Arnott could still be a 50+ point player next year. He put up 17 goals and 17 assists in 72 games for the Blues last year, usually playing around 12 minutes a night.

If he could be on a 2nd PP unit, with that huge 6’5″ frame in front of the net, and maybe get some 2nd/3rd line minutes, moving around from wing to centre, he could definitely put up around 20-25 goals and the same for assists.

• nordiques100 says:

Arnott could be the Leafs 2nd line RWer with Grabovski and be there to take the faceoffs which Grabovski sucks at.

He could also mentor JVR.

He’s also from nearby Collingwood.

I love Ontario players. They add value. They realize the importance of playing here. I think for a lot of them, its special to be playing close to where they were from. Its the team they watched growing up. He is who they should have signed instead of Connolly.

But no, Burke has no American bias.

Ya, he’s just sitting there too. Arnott would be a dream for me. When I was a kid Arnott was living in Wasaga beach and my Nanny, a flourist, arranged some flowers that he had ordered to send to his girlfriend (now wife).

I never got to meet him but I did get an autographed pic out of it. Also once I saw Scott Gomez driving right behind me and he pulled into Arnott’s place,where there were a ton of expensive cars. Presumably Jason was having some kind of party. I still wonder what other Devils were there.

ok we will see if the pension puppets were the ones who stopped the leafs from winning or not.

we’ll see if the new owners actually do care about winning….more than the teachers.

if things are the same….we’ll know then, its Tanenbaum who is F’ing things up for the organization. I’ve always felt he was the one who wanted to be the guy who

a) if they ever won, would take the cup from Bettman, not the Captain of the team doing it.

b) he would hand it over to Domi and put Domi’s name on the cup

c) wanted to be involved in all decisions so that if one ever turned out good, he’d take credit and all the credit.

So the Leafs have brought back Mike Zigomanis and Mark Fraser along with Will Acton.

The minor league team will be good again I think.

The main club will have:

Lupul-JVR-Kessel

Hamilton-Zigomanis-Aucoin
    D’Amigo-Deschamps-Abbott
    Scott-Acton-Ryan
    Devane-Brenner

Gysbers-Fraser
    Kostka-Blacker
    The rest of the D will likely be filled by some random minor league players.

Owuya-Rynnas

Ross, McKegg, Crescenzi and Carrick are 20 years old. I think they are eligible to play in the AHL. I think too though they could play in the O as overagers?

Mikus and Mueller went back to Europe.

Broll, Biggs, Sparks and Percy are 19 and will likely play again in Junior.

They have guys in College and players like Granberg who will be playing in Europe.

They have 48 players under contract.

You can tell from the big club, they need help and have a few players they’d like to get rid of. Like Connolly, Lombardi, etc. Its going to be challenge. I think taht would open the door for Kadri, Frattin, etc, and thus open the door with the Marlies for Ross, McKegg etc to get a chance to play.

• dumbassdoorman says:

I personally like the Fraser signing and am willing to bet he gets a real look at camp. He is a big tough in your face dman and I can think of two guys who like those qualities….lol.

• nordiques100 says:

ideally, i think the leafs will use Franson in trade and provide a real opportunity for Holzer as the 6th guy.

Also, i think they could use another Keith Aulie type. someone young, and developing, but very close to being NHL ready. too bad he was traded.

• leafmeister says:

This could be a tad optimistic, but it would not shock me to see Blacker make a serious push for a top 4 spot. Especially if Franson is traded.

The way I see it, only two top 4 spots are spoken for. Obviously Phaneuf and Gardiner. Gunnarsson is a capable top 4, but on a winning team, I see him as a #5. Regardless, he will probably be Phaneuf’s partner again, leaving a spot open next to Gardiner.

Having a sophomore paired with a rookie in Blacker could be dangerous, but so long as Gardiner doesnt have a sophomore slump, and continues his mature play, I think it could work out. Blacker is by far the most NHL ready of Toronto’s young blueliners, and he has an intriguing skill set, as well as top notch skating. (A theme on Toronto’s future blueline; Gardiner and Rielly both being elite skaters, and Phaneuf, Gunnarsson, Finn, Percy and Blacker being well above average skaters.

If Blacker made the team and has a good rookie season, the Leafs would have some serious options at the draft next year in regards to who to move.

• nordiques100 says:

Not really. Blacker though needs a terrific camp, much like how Gardiner did last year.

I just don’t think he’d start in the top 4. He’d probably be really slowly worked in.

but if Franson goes…..and even Komisarek, he definitely has a shot.

At least he played 1 year in the A. i hope they don’t throw reilly in there. That’s my biggest concern

• What do you guys want for Franson? After drooling over Weber/Suter, Franson is actually the guy I wanted the Rangers to make a push for. I love the fact that he actually shoots from the point and has a heavy shot, something Rangers really need. Pairing him on our 3rd line would really make our D complete. Just curious what/who you think the leafs would ask for if they’re giving up Franson. (Not just saying from the rangers, but in general)

• ZillyHoo says:

Package him for a center. Or a potential top six guy who’s young.

I’ve been thinking of swapping him and a prospect for Paajarvi or something.

I wish we could have done Franson and a 2nd for Turris when he was available seeing as how Runblad and a 2nd got it done.

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

best thing for the Leafs would be to use a big package of Franson, 2+ forwards, prospects, picks or whatever for a no.1 center. Whether it is Getzlaf, Benn or someone else that move is our best option.

Since I doubt that option is available to us right now, I think our best move is to hold onto him until one of those no.1 centers becomes available near the deadline.

Dealing Franson to get a guy like Paajarvi is a solid idea in theory but it isn’t something we really need atm.