Does Price make Montreal the team of destiny? A look at history

I normally write about my Leafs, but an interesting observation inspired me to write this story.

Back in September, Habsrock99 wrote an article comparing this year’s Canadiens to the 1986 team. At the time, I thought “you’re joking, right?”. But in hindsight, the article was actually ahead of its time, written when most analysts picked the Habs to miss the playoffs.

Meanwhile, I did some research of past hockey eras and found out a very interesting fact about Montreal rookie goalies going back 65 years.

If history is any indication, this might have implications for Montreal’s performance in the upcoming playoffs.Over the years, the Canadiens have had a number of rookie goalies, most of which fall into 1 of 2 categories:

1. Rookie goalies who did not play for Montreal for very long

Gerry McNeil
Roggie Vachon
Tony Esposito
Phil Myre
Rick Wamsley
Jocelyn Thibault

OR

2. Rookie goalies who were not top calibre or No. 1 guys (ie, not really all-star material)

Roy Worters
Wilf Cude
Bert Gardiner
Claude Bourque
Charlie Hodge
Michel Plasse
Michel Larocque
Richard Sevigny
Steve Penney
Andre Racicot
Frederic Chabot
Mathieu Garon

Of course, Montreal has also had a slew of goaltenders who were simply not rookies. Examples include:

Gump Worsley
Denis DeJordy
Wayne Thomas
Denis Herron
Doug Soetaert
Brian Hayward
Rollie Melanson
Ron Tugnutt
Pat Jablonski
Jeff Hackett
Stephane Fiset
David Aebischer
Cristobal Huet

However, since World War II, Montreal has had FOUR prominent rookie goalies who went on to have great careers for the Canadiens. For this reason, these 4 goalies are unique.

And now, this year, Montreal has a 5th such goalie, Carey Price, who many believe will follow in the foot-steps of the other 4 legends.

So who are the 4 major goalies that went on to have stellar careers for the Canadiens? They are:

1. Bill Durnan

2. Jacques Plante

3. Ken Dryden

4. Patrick Roy

Want to know how Montreal fared in the playoffs with these goalies in their ROOKIE year? Check it out:

Bill Durnan (1943-44) — Canadiens won Stanley Cup

Jacques Plante (1952-53) — Canadiens won Stanley Cup

Ken Dryden (1970-71) — Canadiens won Stanley Cup

Patrick Roy (1985-86) — Canadiens won Stanley Cup

Carey Price (2007-08) — TO BE DETERMINED

In other words, in the past 65 years, every time the Canadiens had a prominent rookie goalie, they went on to win a Stanley Cup title! That is absolutely incredible. I can’t think of any other team who’s had that kind of success with Rookie goalies.

Going back further, since World War I, there is only one major Montreal goalie who failed to win the Cup in his rookie year, Georges Hainsworth (1926-27). Instead, he won in his 4th year.

The legendary George Vezina was Montreal’s rookie goalie in 1910 when the Habs didn’t win the Cup, but that was before the NHL was born.

The really astute reader will notice that I excluded Tony Esposito from the list of prominent goalies, even though the Habs won the Cup when he was a rookie (1968-69). I omitted him because he didn’t play in Montreal for long, as he was quickly traded to Chicago after his rookie season. if I included him, I would have to include various other goalies as well, including Roggie Vachon.

Some would argue that Jose Theodore bucked the trend, but consider that he didn’t earn the No. 1 goaltending job until his 4th season with the Habs, and the above list only includes prominent rookie goalies who also went on to have stellar careers. Theodore doesn’t really qualify as such.

So the question is, will Carey Price continue the tradition that started about 65 years ago? We shall see, but the historical data is remarkable.

102 Responses to Does Price make Montreal the team of destiny? A look at history

1. Habs_pm says:

Don't think it will be this year.

Now that teams are shutting down the Kovalev/Plekanec/Kostitsyn line the Habs aren't as strong because they don't have any other scoring threats.

Habs have no Shutdown line to contain the other teams top players. If you watch any Montreal game they usually get scored on by the other teams best player.

Their Penalty Kill is horrible….just ugly.

As much as a love Montreal I think they can make it to the second round but no further.

Bob Gainey knows he needs more scoring. Thats why he tried to get Hossa/Sundin…whoever else was available.

They have a goldmine in Carey Price though.

Habs will be very busy before the draft & free agency! Mark my words!

Nords. I was joking, whenever Leafy and I get on Raycroft, 08-09 (formerly known as 92-93) accuses us of saying he is the absolute ONLY reason they missed. Meanwhile we're just saying he simply didn't play good enough to make it in.

3. THEGREATHAB says:

I agree that the Habs will probably only make it to the second round (watch out for the Rangers), and thier penalty killing is horrible.  But they do not need more scoring, after last night they are the highest scoring team in the league.   What we need is a shut down center and another Komisarick type D-man.  If we added a little more sandpaper, and defensively minded players to the current roster, we would have a serious contender.

At draft day and during free agency I can see Bob picking up another stay at home defenseman, and a shut down center.  We will let Smolinski, Ryder and Brisebois walk.

Everything else DOES matter.

ask Roberto Luongo. It took him years to make the playoffs. why? he was fantastic right? well its cause the rest of the team sucked ass.

toskala is fantastic and he has proven he can handle the number 1 role.

however, the rest of the team sucked and has basically wasted a great performance in goal.

the leafs have good goaltending now, and its done nothing to improve their chances. its unlikely it will improve them at any point over the next 2 years.
    goaltending is important but so is everything else. coaching, special teams, discipline, etc etc.

how are the sens still near the top if their goaltending sucks ass? because overall they have a good team.

everything has to be going. not just one position. last i checked hockey was a team game.

give up the ragging on raycroft. its a tired and old argument. its totally clear that ragging on him has been utterly pointless. there is something wrong with the entire team. clearly you can see this now since the team is actually WORSE than last year with a great goalie. it was NOT just raycroft.

phew. i couldnt beleive you said that really.

but like i said, the one track thinking is exactly why they are a terrible team and will be for a long time until they realize that wholesale change everywhere needs to be done.

their argument goes to the gutter when you see the Leafs with actually great goaltending now, still down and out of the playoffs, in fact sitting with less points than last year funny enough.

you would think they would have improved? the fact of the matter was that in combination with weak goaltending last year, it was not great coaching (for example maurice perhaps should have used the backup, saved raycroft some rest and keep him fresher down the stretch), piss poor management (for not getting a real backup once the coach gave up on aubin), still piss poor defensive play, soft play, indifferent, listless play. how about sundin not scoring the last 20 games or tucker's stats down the stretch: no goals, no assists, no points.

until fans, management, ownership and everyone sees this, its utterly hopeless. i am glad these people arent running the team, however you got to thinking maybe they are as ferguson was exactly that type of manager. if we stay healthy, if we improve just goaltending, if this if that etc etc. thankfully he's been fired. now lets hope the team actually finds someone with a plan, with an understanding of how to build a team.

6. simplyhabby says:

They won 10 straight games that year (4 vs PQ, seep against the Sabres and the first two against the isles).  10 straing OT victories as well (after the metioned 3-2 loss to PQ in game 2)  I am not one for fate and magic however, there was definately somthing in 93.  Roy was terrific however, the team played fantastic in front of him and it was truly a clutch performance by everyone.

7. simplyhabby says:

I almost forgot the infamous stick call.  Just adding to the mystique!

8. morrissey says:

Don't forget the wink too!

9. Canadiens81 says:

Bru where were these comments the last couple games when the Habs were getting screwed by the refs.  Also he did close his hand on the puck and threw it in front of him.  Always when your Pens lose its because of the refs.  I hope the Habs play the Pens in the 1st because it will be an awesome series and so that you the Habs can beat the Pens so we don't have to have anymore Refs were unfair to the Pens articles.

10. simplyhabby says:

LOL.  Another reason why Roy was my fave player.  Such a money goalie.  When Brodeur passes Roy on the all time wins, I will still argue that Roy was better!

11. lafleur10 says:

actually guys it was 11 straight wins with 10 in a row coming in over time!

12. lafleur10 says:

hey DoubleDown! welcome back where have you been all season?

13. HABSSTAR says:

That's right you're going all the if you can just make it into the playoffs.

14. lafleur10 says:

nice article leafy! well done! and yes i think price will make us a team of destiny! he has it up stairs and that winning mentality that all the great habs goaltenders had/have so yes i could see him repeating what roy and dryden did! once again good job,leafy thanks for the good article!

15. HABSSTAR says:

Price has been a proven winner at just about every level he's played.  He's displayed an ability to elevate his game when the pressure is up and the stakes are high.  It's still a lot to ask of a rookie to win a Cup however.  It only seems normal in Montreal because we've been spoiled as Habs fans.  However there's no telling what will happen when the playoffs swing around and the old ghosts decide to get involved.

16. lafleur10 says:

the 93 team was the best 5on 5 team in the league that year they led the league in 5on 5 in scoring that season!this year we have improved to 11th best big improvement compared to last year and our pp is better this year and is more lethal with kovalev compared to last season when it was all about souray and the heavy shot!

17. BruMagnus says:

haha. I never really thought about that. I can imagine if there were some Caps/Ovechkin fans on this site, I'd hate them becuz there'd always be a direct fight with the Pens/Crosby/Malkin. With me winning, of course.

18. BruMagnus says:

Depends what you measure.
    Brodeur is easily the better all-around goaltender, but Roy was the most clutch playoff goaltender, perhaps ever.

19. BruMagnus says:

They will. They always do. Mark my words.

20. BruMagnus says:

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

He did not close his hand on the puck. The HABS commentators said as much.

I didn't watch the last couple of Habs games. I don't watch all their games, only when there isn't a Pens game or more exciting team on, or, in this case, when the game is offset 30 minutes and I can watch during intermission.

Wrong. I've frequently blamed the refs even WHEN we win. I've frequently blamed the refs for bad games, but STILL acknowledged that the Pens wouldn't have won anyways (like the game against the Thrashers when Lehtonen owned us, or yesterday's game when Lundqvist stoned Malone when the Rangers were up 3-2, the clear TSN turning point, if not that then Whitney's giveaway in his defensive zone which resulted in the Rangers (Sjostrom's) game-winning goal [I wrote this already before somewhere, btw.]).

Sometimes the Pens lose the game themselves. Sometimes the Pens lose because of bad refereeing, very occasionally because of good (as in biased) refereeing. Sometimes the Pens win despite bad refereeing. But all in all, esp. after my PP/PK ratio article, I feel the Pens end up on the short end of the stick more often that not… and I'm not the only one to think so.

To his credit, for once, Fraser let the game go. There were only 5 penalties in total called, but he did miss at least two by the Pens and at least four by the Rangers.

The ONLY way the Habs can beat the Pens in the first round is if they continue to get the bias refereeing that they are currently enjoying.

21. BruMagnus says:

It sounds like the Habs are in the same situation as the Pens, only worse.
    1) They have no shutdown line
    2) They have less depth on scoring, despite scoring more overall goals. I checked, the Pens have 11 guys with 10+ goals, versus 9 for the Habs.
    3) The Habs goaltending is more inexperienced in the NHL playoffs than the Pens, having had 0.

The Habs may want to face a team like the Pens who are a very similar team, rather than a team like the Sens or Rangers.

22. simplyhabby says:

And you just delivered my main argument.  The best clutch goalie ever! If I had to pick a goalie in their prime for a winenr take all game, its Roy!

23. simplyhabby says:

"well, we get the higher draft pick so it was worth it!"

LOL.  I should of used that one years ago during the Houle/Tremblay era.  That is hilarious!

I will tell me leaf friends to use that one.  They will get a great kick out of it.

24. Cake says:

Oh come on…..really……do we have to go back to the ignorant statement thing again???

25. Cake says:

Only 1 PP for the Pens…..wow Crosby must have learned how to stop diving!!

Roy was the best clutch goalie in his prime but not so great late in his career.

Statue of liberty in 6 vs. Detroit 2002, followed by a game 7 performance that saw him let in 6 goals by the 5 minute mark of the 2nd period, including long slap shots and week shots from the outside. Money goalies are money in game 7's like Hasek, who gets the edge on Roy for that generation of goalies later in their careers.

Another huge difference from this year and last is the play of Tucker and Wellwood. Also, even though Kaberle has been good, I think he had a better season last year.

28. habsrock99 says:

I remember writing that article and I remember the bashing that came with it. Just to point out, I never directly said that the 08 Habs would do anything the 86 Habs did, I was simply pointing out a bunch of weird and insane predictions, player production, strengths and weaknesses that I found to be quite the same among both teams. Like I wrote it using the 84-85 Habs numbers and the 06-07 Habs numbers. I wrote it without ever bringing up anything that actually happend in the 85-86 season.

For instance, I pointed out that each club had the following:

Stud Goaltending Prospect- Patrick Roy and Carey Price
    Struggling Veterans who should be better- Ryan Walter and Alexei Kovalev
    Under-appreciated Defensive Defenceman- Craig Ludwig and Mike Komisarek
    Inspirational Captains- Bob Gainey and Saku Koivu
    Strong PP QB- Chris Chelios and Andrei Markov
    Strong Veteran Stay-At-Home Defenceman- Rick Green and Roman Hamrlik

Even both teams Strengths and Weaknesses are roughly the same-
    1986 Habs(according to NHL Pro Hockey 85/86 by Jim Proudfoot):
    Strengths: Strong Nucleus and Superb Kids
    Weaknesses: Stretching it a bit thin

2008 Habs:
    Strengths: Strong Core and Great Prospects
    Weaknesses: A Bit thin on Offence and lack of grinder

Both teams even have relatively rookie coaches(Jean Perron and Guy Carbonneau)

These were the only glaring differences between the 2 Habs teams:

08 Habs have no: Robinson, Nilan, Naslund or Bobby Smith(Big Center)

And let's not forget that their is a direct connection between the 86 and 08 Habs, Guy Carbonneau and Bob Gainey. Both performed brilliantly in 86 and both have performed brilliantly this year(Gainey's performance kind of stretches a few years).

Now, I could be a dick and be like "I TOLD YOU SO!!" because you know what, even I'm surprised the Habs are battling it out for 1st and I will be the first to admit that as I had them pegged for a 6th Place Finish and playing Jersey in the 1st Round, now it looks like it'll be Montreal vs Boston/Philly/Buffalo/Washington/Rangers maybe the Sens or Pens(depending on what the Final Standings will be)

29. leafy says:

Nords, I don't know what language you speak.  I assume you're fluent in English.  If so, read this very carefully.

I said that OTHER issues become relevant ONLY WHEN YOU HAVE A GOOD GOALIE!

Otherwise, forget it!  You can have a great offense, a great defense, yada, yada, yada…..it's all bull$hit.  Without a good goalie, it's all meaningless bull$hit!!!!

Now that you understand that, below are the stats for Toronto's 2 goalies playing in the same season and on the same teamA NATURAL EXPERIMENT!

Now you tell me which of the 2 is the good goalie, and which is the bad one.  Tell me.

Vesa Toskala

Record: 30-22-6
    GAA: 2.60
    Save pct: .907

Andrew Raycroft

Record: 2-8-4
    GAA: 4.07
    Save pct: .868

30. leafy says:

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?  Compare Toskala's stats this year to that of Raycroft's from last year.  Toskala has a much better GAA and way better save pct.  That translates into LESS GOALS ALLOWED!!!!!

Any idiot can see this to mean that Toskala would have gotten the Leafs into the playoffs last year, because less goals allowed translates into more wins!!!

i'm talking about this year. the team is pretty much the same, instead now they have a better goalie, but have gotten worse results.

bottom line, the problem was the whole team, not the goalie. not just one thing. until you realize this, you and the team will be stuck in the rut they are in now.

32. leafy says:

You want to talk about THIS year?  Ok, let's talk about this year.

Below are the stats for Toskala vs. Raycroft….playing in the same season and on the same crummy teamA NATURAL EXPERIMENT!

Now, you tell me, which of the 2 is the good goalie, and which is the bad one?  Tell me.

Vesa Toskala

Record: 30-22-6
    GAA: 2.60
    Save pct: .907

Andrew Raycroft

Record: 2-8-4
    GAA: 4.07
    Save pct: .868

i speak very fluent english thank you.

the story is this, the team missed the playoffs last year. the team reasoned, like you, it was all goaltending. raycroft could not get the job done, plain and simple.

so they went out and got toskala. fine and good. he's turned out to be excellent.

however…….the team is in the gutter. more points behind 8th than last year, less points than last year, likely to finish worse off than last year.

so clearly its not just goaltending thats at issue. this is the key point i am trying to make. its everything. the leafs have solved their goaltending issues and perhaps will have for at least the next two seasons a goalie among the top 10 best in the league.

however its going to mean squat. just like it meant squat for the panthers. there were so many things wrong with this team for the last 3 years that even with 3 different goalies with varying degrees of success and failure, the results in the overall standings remained the same.

i am not here saying toskala is raycroft's equal. far from it. i am here to say the single, one track mind of the team thinking only one thing is wrong, one thing needs fixing is exactly why things are so bad for this organization.

maybe that will change with new management but until it does, until it can blow up the core of this roster, a goalie standing on his head like toskala has done for the 2nd half this year will mean nothing for however long he can keep that up for the leafs.

the fundamental issues this team had were there when belfour was in nets, there last year with raycroft and there with toskala. they have had leadership issues, scoring problems, defensive problems, giveaways, mistakes, soft play, discipline problems, cap issues and other problems for a while now. they didnt start propping up this season. to completely ignore that is ignorant, short sighted and foolish

leafy you are pathetic. honestly. you clearly have no understanding of what i am trying to say.

the team has flaws throughout the lineup. they have for years. they had them last year. those flaws cost them as much as their faulty goaltending. this is the point i am trying to make.

now they have goaltending, the flaws still remain. its every piece of the puzzle thats been costing the leafs. not one of raycroft's bad games. therefore to blame last years missed playoff on one thing is very short sighted.

granted, they havent been as good, but doesnt the better play of antropov make up some of that? kubina has been much better this year as well, that means something right?

and while sundin is hurt, at least he has more than no goals from games 60 onward which is better than last year.

and of course toskala has been terrific, however not even he has turn the team's fortunes around.

for kaberle, i honestly think he is far superior with mccabe as a partner. i think those two being in sync so well makes both of their games better. when quinn used them together exclusively for 30 minute a game in all important situations, that brought out the best in them.

for me, i think kaberle's game and confidence went down being used under 25 minutes a game and seeing woz and white take on the PK minutes over him.

you can see of late how better he has been used against the top players, used on the PK more often. playing a ton. you can see the confidence back a bit more and perhaps why the PP has improved some of late as well.

just my thoughts….

36. leafy says:

No, the only guy who's pathetic and short sighted is you.

I showed you the stats showing that Raycroft's numbers were shitty last year and shitty this year.  Compared to Toskala, it's a day and night difference.

So how can you sit there and tell me the Leafs would have missed the playoffs last year even with Toskala?  You should be ashamed of yourself.

37. leafy says:

Nords, what do you think, that people are stupid and don't know that goaltending is not the only aspect of a team?  People are not idiots.  Thank you for educating us on what is obvious to even a 4 year old child.

38. leafy says:

Habsrock, it was a great article, which I dismissed as rubbish at the time and so now I feel a little guilty. Haha!

I think the parallels between the 2 teams are amazing.  This year, with the East being so close, anything can happen.  With so much parity in today's NHL, goaltending will be key once in the playoffs.  The good news for the Habs is that this is their major strength along with defence.

39. leafy says:

Thanks Lafleur, I do what I can.  It was an interesting observation about Montreal goalies, so I thought it would make an interesting article.

sigh. thats not what i am say at all

what i am saying is the leafs, for years have only had a one track mind at things.

for example, last season they missed out. its raycroft and raycroft alone to blame so they say. he was part of the blame, part of the problem but not the whole problem. they didnt see that, you dont see that.

they get toskala, thats great, very happy about that. however, the same other problems still exist and have existed for years. leadership issues, defensive issues, scoring issues, chemistry issues, discipline issues, coaching issues etc etc.

they didnt see this at all. they in fact saw nothing wrong with the team. neither do you.

what i am saying is, with the acquistion of a good goalie finally, maybe they should have also fixed some of their other problems as well. they didnt. they neglected it because they felt nothing else was wrong with the team as you also feel. well clearly there is.

they addressed their mistake of getting raycroft which was a mistake in the end. they perhaps should have gotten someone better last year. but even so, the team had so many other issues that were not spoken of because the team and many fans only thought about the goaltending problem.

the fact was there were so many other problems to speak about that it was clear to others those needed to be addressed. they werent, they still havent and probably will not and cannot due to the cap/contract issues the team has.

a minortiy of us have spoken of all the other issues involved along with goaltending with the team well before this season. instead these were ignored by management, by people like yourself cause they only saw one thing. a bad goalie.

well its clear as day now that they have a good goalie but all those other bad problems the team has, all the flaws still remain. to not see those is very short sighted.

and keep in mind, raycroft had some decent games last season that helped Toronto get 2 points and got them to be as close as they were, 1 point out of a playoff.

04nov06 – 4-1 win in buffalo, raycroft had 30 saves. tough building to win in
    06nov06- 4-1 win vs philly, leafs outshot 41-32, but raycroft made 40 saves
    18jan07 – leafs outshot 41-19 but win in Florida 3-2. another solid outing
    31jan07- leafs win 2-1 on broadway outshot 38-28 but raycroft outduels lundquvist
    03feb07 – leafs win in a SO vs the sens as ray outduels ray making 30 saves for the victory in ottawa.
    06feb07 – sloppy game on both sides but raycroft comes up with a massive save in the 3rd to preserve the 2-1 win
    15feb07- another big win in philly, 34 saves for raycroft
    20mar07- raycroft outdueled brodeur making 24 saves in the 2-1 win

also, raycroft had 33 games last season where he held opponents to 2 or less goals. toskala is at 31 games with 2 or less goals against. pretty even if you ask me. toskala is clearly better, but many of the games where the team gave up 3 or more goals, the team D was atrocious. and mistakes led to goals.both this year and last.

as you can see, raycroft did have some decent outings and without these, the team would have been perhaps 20 points behind, not just 1. yes he had more bad games than good. the team did have several blowout losses, however most of those were a failure of the team than just the goalie. just like those losses to florida, washington and carolina this season where toskala was in nets. or as recently as saturday's 6-2 loss to the sabres. the team failed not just the goalie.

thats all i am trying to point out. getting toskala solved one thing, but many other things were wrong and never addressed.

41. habsrock99 says:

What I find to be even more amazing then the parallels between the 86 and 08 Habs is the parallels of the other 20 teams in that book. Some are exactly like the Habs. For instance(Rememberm this is all heading into the 08 Season):

The Philadelphia Flyers:

86 Weaknesses- Need Scoring, Key Men Aging

The St. Louis Blues:
    08 Stengths- Good Veterans, Solid Core, Under-Rated Coach
    08 Weaknesses- Need More Scoring, need Younger Goalie

86 Stengths- Good Defence, Good Coach, Solid Leadership
    86 Weaknesses- Need Offence, Depth

Like those aren't as close to what I found in the Habs but those are still accurate for 2 different teams from 2 different era's spanning 22 years. Just in case you're wondering, the 08 Strengths and Weaknesses are what I believed those teams had at the beginning of the year.

And in case you're wondering, the 86 Leafs Report was as follows:

Strengths- Excellent Youth, Speed
    Weaknesses- Thin Overall, Lack Scoring

wow you're 4 years old? cause you've been beating that blame raycroft for everything drum for the last year. hence why         i     h a v e      t o                        e x p l a i n         i t            t o          y o u             n i c e                a n d                  s l o w

43. careyprice31 says:

What a game today carey price is main man man woooooooooo hoooooooo.(Props to kovalev to)

JESUS PRICE!!!!

p.s anyone know the severity of mikey komisareks injury?

44. careyprice31 says:

lmaooooooooooooo

45. careyprice31 says:

Bru Mangus please shut the ***** up your *****ing annoying go write on penguin posts

46. SuperStastny says:

I wonder how long it will be until the Avs get Price… or Halak… Im betting 5 years, give or take. First Roy, then Theodore – come on Habs fans, you know it will happen eventually. It's your new thing –  to give the Avs goalies 🙂

47. Hoondog2 says:

The Euro Canadiens suck!!!! Price looks calm because he is not very intelligent. ahhh where did da puck go? Oh, dey shot it in ma mit! This guy is a dud as far as personality goes. Not a bad goalie, but not very bright.

48. careyprice31 says:

your not very bright so shut your trap

49. lafleur10 says:

how's your make me laffs doing?

50. leafy says:

Yeah, you're a real genius.