Don't trade young Leafs away

Toronto Maple Leafs president and general manager Brian Burke has a chance to see what his team is made of with the younger guys on his roster, but will he give them the chance?

I believe it’s more important to try to get into the playoffs and give our young players some experience and really see where our weaknesses are. Burke has got to resist the temptation to load up with “rental players” for a delusional playoff run and keep this group together.
Please Mr. Burke, we are not that good yet. Our young players like Nazem Kadri, Joe Colborne and our first round pick in the 2012 draft need to stay.

Blowing up the youth movement and trading our prospects away would be a huge mistake in my opinion. We have to learn from our own history that this method does not work for a fringe team, and that probably the club will be scraping and crawling just to get into eighth place.

The Owen Nolan and Brian Leetch trades of the past have gutted our minor league system and set us back years, and for what? And how could we ever forget the Andrew Raycroft and Vesa Toskala deals? We traded away Tuukka Rask and first and second round picks that are now gone forever. Those trades are benefiting teams that are now ahead of us in the standings.

The Leafs need to stick with their plan to build from within and draft and develop big truculent players. The fans are willing to be patient; all we need to see is improvement. We want a Stanley Cup! We have tried to trade for big name players in the past, with limited success.

28 Responses to Don't trade young Leafs away

1. dumbassdoorman says:

Burke has done a great job of filling a almost bare cupboard with some good prospects. But this article is written out of context, nobody has said Burke plans on shipping out all prospects for a playoff drive. Now I am not saying sell them all and make a run, but if Burke decides to trade one or two youngs guys, it will not be for a rental player. He will only trade youth for youth me thinks and if he decides to, I for one trust his judgement. If he trades one or more of our young players you can count on there being a good young player coming back.

2. reinjosh says:

Its written by a fan blogger. I wouldn't give it that much credit.

But yeah I agree. Burke isn't an idiot. He knows what he's doing. I have no problem believing he will do whats best for this team.
  3. reinjosh says:

So Gardiner is sent down to the AHL a day or two ago and then promptly recalled? Then today reports come out that Schenn is being scratched along with Kadri?

Seems weird, no?
  4. JoelLeafs says:

Very strange. Schenn hasn't been great, but his offense is up a bit. I've like Kadri's play as well. Odd moves.

5. dumbassdoorman says:

Gardiner was sent down Burke said as he hasn't played in 4 games then recalled as the Marlies do not play again until the weekend. As for Kadri, with Bozak being reinserted tonight, it does sort of make sense, no?

6. JoelLeafs says:

Well, obviously Burke won't be trading for a Leetch/Nolan type player. If we're talking a player like Ryan, Getzlaf, or JVR (not that I think any of them comes to TO) then sacrificing some picks/prospects might be a good thing. Burke has had a simple philosophy: get the best available talent. If a very talented player in his twenties becomes available, you have to think Burke will at least try to go after them. I don't care if it's unrealistic, if a GM comes out and says his young stars are on the block, you at least investigate an offer.

I'm not overly concerned. Though the roster action is making me a bit anxious. Anyone else get the feeling something funny is going on? Perhaps something is in the works. Could it involve Schenn and Kadri, both scratches for tonight's game?

7. dumbassdoorman says:

Nope we are not making a trade, lol, I can feel it there are logical explanations for both…..this is me trying not to starting getting excited about a trade possibility….lol.

8. Ivan_Mtl says:

From what I am hearing on TSN990 radio here in Montreal, it looks like the Toronto Maple Leafs may have traded Schenn and Kardi for Ryan Getzlaf.  Whatever the case, something is definitely happening.

9. dumbassdoorman says:

LOL…that would be under payment of the century, so I say noway, it happened…..lol

10. JoelLeafs says:

No way that happens without at least a 1st rounder going their way.

Getzlaf would be sweet…

11. JoelLeafs says:

Deal done: Getzlaf for Schenn, Kadri, a 1st in 2012 and a 2nd in 2013.

Nahh, just kidding. But you got excited, right? I doubt this would be enough, though Burke has fleeced Anaheim before. For some reason I really hope he doesn't trade for Ryan.

12. dumbassdoorman says:

No i was not excited….lol…after i read it I went to see if anyone had reported anything at all on it and have yet to find anything. Would you trade Schenn and Kadri for Ryan?

13. JoelLeafs says:

If we didn't have the surplus at his position, maybe. Right now? No. Maybe he could be flipped for a C, but this bring up too many question marks.

14. reinjosh says:

I hate you. My heart jumped for just half a second…cruel…

15. reinjosh says:

I hate you. My heart jumped for just half a second…cruel…

16. Kessel_Leafs48 says:

i woulda scratched crabb instead.. i unno why the coaching staff seems so high on him.. maybe its just me or maybe its just his last name im not really fond of him and dont really thing he's that good.  I like there move of finally putting macarthur back on kuli and grabos line tho, but id have a 3rd line of kadri (instead of crabb) connolly lombardi.. potentially good offensive 3rd line.

17. Kessel_Leafs48 says:

i would do it for ryan… personally i think the scratches of schenn is to do more of a "if we did trade schenn, what would our defence be like?"  if there are times tonight where were up a goal and are looking down the bench going hmm i dont know who we should send out against spezza… then i wouldnt trade schenn. He hasnt been amazing this year like he was last (IMO) but he is still our best defensive defenceman. Who knows maybe theres a trade like schenn and kadri for ryan that burke is thinking about if its worth it. I think if leafs play well tonight and come out with the W.. the trade may happen.

Another reason i wouldnt mind ryan.. macarthur hasnt proved himself as a top 6 player yet.. starting to think last year was overachieving. having said that.. having macarthur as a 3rd line winger would be great. and right good depth.  having wingers of  lupul-kessel, kuli- ryan, lombari/armstrong- macarthur would be unreal. then wait for colborne too develop and hopefulyl become our first line centre.  Im all for getting a winger right now IF a centre has an unreasonable asking price or unattainable.
  18. NonLeafFansAreGay says:

woah I had no idea leafs are gonna be in next years winter classic. sweet!

19. dumbassdoorman says:

I have no problem aquiring Ryan depending on the price. If you get the best player you usually win the deal, for Schenn/Kadri alone I would probably pull the trigger but wanna trade them our 3rd for their 2nd or sumfin like that.

20. lukeleim says:

Some trade suggestions for the Leafs:

Ben Scrivens and the Leafs' third round draft pick of 2012 to the Tampa Bay Lightning for Ryan Malone.

Nikolai Kulemin, Luke Schenn and Greg McKegg to the Anaheim Ducks for Bobby Ryan.

Nikolai Kulemin, Mikhail Grabovski, Luke Schenn, James Reimer and the Leafs' second round draft pick of 2012 to the the St. Louis Blues Patrik Berglund, Chris Stewart and Jaroslav Halak.

Luke Schenn to the Philadelphia Flyers for James van Riemsdyk.

Matt Frattin, Joey Crabb and the Leafs' second round draft pick of 2012 to the San Jose Sharks for Ryane Clowe.

21. MystifoLeafs says:

Man… If I never had this drink next to me I am sure I would of been more angry. Just don't do that.

22. dumbassdoorman says:

The stl trade would be a pure raping….and you know Halak would love a chance to shove right up mtl's ass

23. MystifoLeafs says:

Ill give my input on the following trades…

1. I honestly don't like it. Malone is just a high contract and I still have a bit of faith in Scrivens.
    2. Solid return if we were not log jammed at that position I would be more likely to make it but as for now I say hold back and work on our C.
    3. That is a interesting. Kuli and Stewart Cancel out quite nicely Schenn adds to their backend and really helps them towards the playoff push. Grabovski would find chemistry with Kuli and help St. Louis goal scoring while Berglund aids our lack of size. My favorite part would be Halak. I loved Halak in Montreal and was shocked when he was traded. That is the part I am most interested in and while that means giving up on Reimer a bit I feel Halak would offer the more stable goaltending.  I like it personally.
  24. thisgamewelose says:

Considering my reaction wasn't "you're full of it" and more "That's all they traded for him?" I'd say you got me pretty good.

25. 93killer93 says:

The Leafs should draft him this year.

26. LeafsNation4Ever says:

We could probably get him for a late 7th but I don't see why…

Unless Burke is really high on brothers.
  27. MystifoLeafs says:

Interesting turn of events. In the end it was not Schenn who was scratched but rather Komisareak. But the strange thing was Kessel ended up with an "A" on his Jersey in Komis absence. Now what I am wondering is now is what is keeping him out of play? Was it.

1. Poor play
    2. Injury
    3. Trade
    Honestly he has not been playing that bad this year so I would not put my money on poor play. His previous injury may have started to take its toll on him forcing him to miss more games and could be a reason for Kessel to get his "A" meaning he may be out for quite some time OR the all mighty impossible has happened and the all mighty Brian Burke has traded Mike Komisareak to some team. Anyways if it is a trade or god forbid (I am human after all.) He had his injury flare up again we still can get considerable cap space making a move all the more likely.
  28. 93killer93 says:

I really want Nashville to make a push for it this year.  It obviously will never happen but with their cap space and depth…

Ana
    Getzlaf, Perry, Cogliano, Holland, Beauchemin
    Nsh
    Legwand, Kostitsyn, Spaling, Smith, Hornqvist, Blum, Josi, 1st
    NJ
    Parise, Foster
    Nsh
    Erat, Ekholm, Lindback, cond 2nd(Parise resigns)
    Nsh