Dreger: Next block of canceled games could be significant

TSN’s gang of experts gathered for a grim bit of lockout talk, but the most substantial bit came when Darren Dreger said that the next wave of canceled games could come as soon as next week.

Canceling the first two weeks of the season might pale in comparison to the chunk of contests that could go by the wayside if Dreger’s report is correct.

He claims that the NHL wants to give owners the chance to rent out their buildings to other events in order to recoup some revenue. With that in mind, the next cancellations could be “much bigger” than 82 games.

Aside from that grim bit, the latest edition of TSN’s Insider Trading focused on the disjointed game of telephone between both sides.

63 Responses to Dreger: Next block of canceled games could be significant

1. 93killer93 says:

The Leafs prospects seem to have gotten off to a good start so far.

Morgan Rielly 7 games 7 points
    Tyler Biggs 7 games 5 goal and 8 points
    Matt Finn 7 games 5 points
    Connor Brown 7 games 4 goals 9 points
    David Broll 8 games 8 points

2. Gambo says:

Assuming the season is completely cancelled.

Draft: Sean Monahan

Players lost to free agency:
    -Lupul, Connolly, Lombardi, Bozak, Macarthur, Steckel.

Players gained from free agency:
    -Getzlaf(10 years, 90m), Perry(10 years, 90m), Morrow(2 years, 9m), Malhotra(2 years, 5m), Hendricks(1 year, 1.5m)

To TOR: Pietrangelo, Elliot.
    To STL: Kessel, Franson, Gunnarsson, Scrivens.

Kadri-Grabovski-Kulemin PKFWD1: Malhotra-Morrow
    Morrow-Malhotra-Frattin/Biggs PKFWD2: McClement-Hendricks
    Hendricks-McClement-Brown PKFWD3: Grabovski-Kulemin

3. LN91 says:

From a Leafs perspective, the lockout might be the greatest thing for the franchise.

When it comes to draft lottery, better odds to get a high pick. Also, our rivals Montreal will lose out due to playoff experiences.

Also, all the prospects are doing really well in junior and the AHL. Why disrupt that?

4. LN91 says:

Did anyone watch the Marlies last night? I already love Leo Komarov. He is exactly what the Leafs have been missing for years.

He is Brad Marchand 2.0.

• Shoelesshobo says:

But yet everyone seems to be writing him out of lineups I do not get it. But I am glad I am not the only one who seems him as a great addition to our team.

Also to your above point I do agree we could benefit from a lockout my only thing is they could just as easy roll the draft over and do a double draft instead. But if they don’t I am praying we get Monahaan or Barkov. I hold no hope for us drafting Mackinnon as I hold my statement of him going to Phoenix or Columbus.

5. leafs_wallace93 says:

The Leafs would be better off tanking in a season, they’d have a better shot at 1st overall icing this lineup and qualifying for the typical draft which would give the anywhere from a fifty to seven percent chance at Mackinnon as they tank yet again.

A Crosby like lottery would give the Leafs at best a three percent chance.

Given how bad the Leafs have been over the last seven years I see no reason to expect them do climb from the basement this season.

A 42 game season would require only three or four losing streaks to accomplish this end.

• dumbassdoorman says:

LOL, Hey three or four losing streaks, is way too much winning to possibley tank. I think this season is a write off, IMO. I don’t think they will blend the drafts either as some have suggested. Not sure how where we would pick in a lottery style draft?

Problem is, with a short season, its easy for a shitty team to finish in the middle of the pack. Exact same argument can work both ways. But I do hear what you’re saying.

I would really appreciate if any of you guys wouldn’t mind checking out the comments on this top goalie list http://www.nhlkvasni.blogspot.com

Thoughts on Osgood, Giguere, etc. Someone wrote an interesting counter argument….

So word, Doorman, hobo, gambo, Joshy, Killer, anyone who wants to chime in, that would be cool

• dumbassdoorman says:

Had read it befiore but didn’t comment feedback left for ya

Thanks man. And ya, Patrick Roy sucks!

Just kidding, he’s awesome but Hasek in his prime was definitely better in my opinion. He just couldn’t be scored in for like 3 years.

• dumbassdoorman says:

I hate Hasek, he really pissed me off, I always found him more lucky then good, lol, though sometimes better to be lucky. He always looked like a fish outta water to me. Funny thing about him is he was almost ruined by Keenen early in his carrer. Who always seemed to be blessed by goalies, including one who was better then Belfour. But before the 20 yr list cut off would have been.

Hasek seemed to be lucky because his style was so unorthodox. Tim Thomas looks that way a lot of the time too. But at a certain point you realize its not luck, its just a bizarre system he’s got that transcends traditional goaltending. Hasek brought it to a whole other level when he was in his prime.

I know a lot of people hate on Hasek, even though they all recognize he was pretty unreal. I wonder how much of that has to do with him stealing a gold medal game away from Canada in 1998 with his stellar play? I still can’t believe Gretzky and Yzerman weren’t used in that shootout.

• dumbassdoorman says:

I hear you about that game and the shootout, that being said the difference in the game was a half inch, lol. Jagr hits inside of post and scores, Lindros(if I remember) hits outside and doesn’t, so luck was there too. That being said if I was coach my first shooter in MacInnis and I am telling him just unload and aim for his head, lol.

It was actually Robert Reichel who scored the goal, Patrick Roy stopped Jagr.

• dumbassdoorman says:

thats why the brackets were there, lol, old age impairs memory

• Shoelesshobo says:

My only problem is that Kipper gets a spot over say Theodore. People seem to forget that guy carried Montreal similar to what Price/Halak did. I mean the hardware speaks for itself.

1 – Jennings
                    1 – Vezina
                    1 – Hart

I like Kipper and all but I think Theo should get at least 10th he was a great goalie over time.

Theodore got some consideration but his greatness was very short lived. Kiprusoff has been the NHL’s poster boy for consistent goaltending over the last 7 seasons. There would be no list without him.

If you want to argue Theodore, that’s one thing, but over Kipper? Come on…

• lafleur10 says:

i would love to read your blog mojo and i’ll comment too if you don’t mind

Do it man. I bash Patrick Roy which you won’t like haha. But I recognize how great he was, he was outstanding. You probably have him at #1, I have him at 3 behind Marty and Dom, but its all open for debate. I have no problem with those who put Roy at #1, but bear in mind, I am not counting his accomplishments prior to 1992, this is the last 20 years only.

• lafleur10 says:

i read it mojo and i must say that out of all the blogson hockey i’ve read it’s very good and very informative and well worth the read………… thanks i really enjoyed it yeah i have patrick roy at #1 and not by much but i have them there i have brodeur at 2 and hasek at 3 ! it’s too bad mojo that you didn’t do more than the last 20 years because if you did and added goalies from then ken dryden definately would be top 3 -5 imo his .750% in the playoffs is the highest in the history of the league and will never be touched! thanks for letting visit your site and read your blogs
          keep up the good work mojo

i will if it’s ok with you (visit the site more) if there’s a season to see what trade speculation you have about my habs! lol

7. dumbassdoorman says:

I think what we have to look forward to for the first time in a long time is a something that resembles a plan. They drafted who they thought was the best player available and didn’t sign UFA’s for the sake of signing them. There also appears to be the best overall organizational depth in a long time. Prospects seem to be playing well and will benefit from extra Jr or AHL seasoning.

On a simalir note that means Eakins is also more likely to be with the team for another season with a washout in the NHL. This IMO could be the single biggest positive affect on the team. He has a way of getting the most out of his players and they play hard for him.

Good points. Way to focus on the positives. I like it.

I really like having this in the organization –

Gardiner, Rielly, Blacker, Percy, Finn

If a couple of these guys pan out, and all indications suggest that Gardiner and Rielly should pan out, we could have some really great defence.

Its a much more promising group than when we got kind of excited about Colaiacovo and White.

• lafleur10 says:

reilly looks like he’s going to be a solid player i’ve seen him here in regina against the pats………i’ve seen a couple of the habs prospects here as well dalton thrower and darren dietz they look (espeacially) thrower that they’ll be good solid nhl’ers as well

Galchenyuk is the guy to get excited about, for sure.

I can see the Habs having a pretty good team in the next 2-3 years if Galchenyuk develops the way he’s supposed to. If PK and Price can each take their games up to the next level then the habs could have a few very good pieces in place.

• lafleur10 says:

i’m hoping so to i think he will and we’ll be a real good team in 2-3 years too when galchenyuk,collberg,gallagher ,kristo hudon and beaulieu tinordi etc all make it …………..all the pieces are there and we now have a g.m. with a brain too so that’ll help as well.

8. dumbassdoorman says:

Ya the fact that they will not be rushed will help for sure. I have seen this organization ruin a lot of quality dman products by rushing them, including some from before you were born, lol

9. lafleur10 says:

this friggin lockout sucks……………..let’s hope they make some ground on the talks being held tuesday it’s boring right now nothing to argue about with leafs fans lol! i guess i could atch the hamilton bulldogs games and keep an eye on galchenyuk in the ohl.

10. lafleur10 says:

can anyone on here mojo, ln91, josh, joelleafs, tell me if the season is lost how will they do the draft lottery for next season? also has leafy visited this new site?

• 93killer93 says:

The way it was done last time was like this,

Each team begins with three balls in the lottery barrel. For every playoff appearance in the last three years or No. 1 overall pick over the last four years, a team loses one ball.

So that would mean Toronto, Dallas, Winnipeg, Calgary, Columbus, Minnesota, Carolina would have 3 balls, and a 6% chance of winning. New York(Isles), Colorado, Tampa, Florida, Anaheim, and st louis would have 2 balls and a 4% chance of winning. Every other team would have 1 ball and a 2% chance of winning.

11. 93killer93 says:

Since the draft lottery has been brought up, I wonder if Bettman would have the balls to have the top 5 work out like this.

2nd-New York Islanders
    5th-Columbus(NY Ranger)

12. 93killer93 says:

I would really like to see the top 5 work out like this.

Columbus drafting 1st is pretty much a guarantee

2nd(Dallas)- Jones (from texas)
    3rd(Toronto)- Barkov
    4th(Winnipeg)- Monahan
    5th(Calgary)- Shinkaruk (from Calgary)

• dumbassdoorman says:

See and I would prefer to see the Leafs in the 1st overall slot, lol

• Shoelesshobo says:

Honestly I have a feeling Barkov could be just as good as Mackinnon. Barkov has an amazing skill set the only thing that is killing him is he is over playing in Finland over OHL, QMJHL, WHL, etc. Most people only see him at WJC so ruins his value.

I am holding out my hope for Barkov or Monahan.

13. dumbassdoorman says:

I am not down on either of the other players, however when a player is described as a generational type talent, you don’t pass that up ever.

• 93killer93 says:

I would absolutely love to draft Mackinnon. But unless there is a season, I don’t see any way the Leafs get the 1st pick. If we can manage to get any of the 3 centres, I’ll be extremely happy.

14. dumbassdoorman says:

Sounds like the PA is saying the owners have made a considerable proposal, will it be enough? I doubt it, we aren’t that lucky that the players have some common sense….lol. Also ya agreed we would have zero chance, I see us getting stuck ay 7 overall if there is no season and a lotto, call it a hunch.

• 93killer93 says:

Apparently the owners proposed a 50-50 split.

• reinjosh says:

I feel like this is the starting point for an agreement. The owners caved a little (and I feel like this was planned) and now its the players turn. This is a significant point I think.

7th overall? I’m ok with that. By my estimation, there could be nearly 10 elite players in this draft. I split them into three tiers of elite

In order:

MacKinnon, Barkov, Jones

Monahan, Elias Lindholm, Jonathan Drouin

Hunter Shinkaruk, Ryan Pulock, Valery Nichushkin, Rasmus Ristolainen

I’d still prefer one of MacKinnon, Monahan, Barkov and Lindholm but 7 wouldn’t be bad.

15. dumbassdoorman says:

Hey speaking of Rielly check out the clip of this fight, so much for being a “soft’ dman, I was impressed,lol. http://youtu.be/eae4EsGoe1k

• reinjosh says:

He’s showing himself to be an impressive prospect. He’s actually underrated defensively and showing his toughness too.

• dumbassdoorman says:

ya i was impressed he didn’t run and showed spirit for sure, lots of skill players would have

I hate to get too excited about a Leafs prospect, because so many guys don’t pan out to be stars. So I will try to not get ahead of myself here. But Rielly definitely gives Leaf fans a reason to be optimistic.

I think most of us would agree that this kid has the potential to be better than Gardiner.

• 93killer93 says:

As per Howard Berger,
          Veteran junior scout to me: “If he can stay healthy, Morgan Rielly will be the best #Leafs defenseman since Borje Salming. He is THAT good.”

That’s so awesome. We’re hearing nothing but great things about this kid. I haven’t see him play a game before, but I’m assuming he’ll be part of the Canadian Junior squad at Christmas so we should all get a good look at him there.

• 93killer93 says:

I’m trying not to get too excited about him, but ever since the draft i’ve been liking this pick more and more. TSN kind of helps us get carried away. How can I not get excited when you compare him to Kris Letang.

• lafleur10 says:

mojo you and the reast of the leafs fans should be really excited about this kid as i said up top in one of my earlier replies i’ve seen him here in regina against the pats and he looks really good i get to watch him play the pats 8 times this year so i’ll let you guys know how he’s doing if you like! i think from what i’ve seen so far too….. he’s the best defenceman in the eatern confernce of the whl here and if i was a betting man i’d say that he’s probably the best d-man in the dub if not close to it1 you guys have a really good one here so you guys deserve to be happy and optimistic about him………..i remember the draft this past june when a lot of leafs fans were mad and disappointed that you guys picked him and missed out on galcheyuk and others…….. well you guys now have a very good prospect and it makes the pain of missing out on one of those forwards a little more digestible. he’ll be on team canada at christmas time and he’ll be a major player too onn the p.p. he’ll have the chance to be an allstar selection there and the tournaments top defenceman!