Flyers Sign Ryan Potulny to Contract

The Philadelphia Flyers announced that they have signed 6’0”, 192-pound center Ryan Potulny to a two-year entry-level contract.

20 Responses to Flyers Sign Ryan Potulny to Contract

1. cecilturtle says:

It seems lots of teams are signing their own players now that the trade deadline has past and teams know exactly what their roster and cap $$$ will be for the remainder of this year. Are teams doing this because at the end of the year, if you do not use all your cap $$$ you lose it? For example, If the Rangers are IE-two million under the cap… It would behove them to sign Straka for example for next year paying him 2 million this year (the extra money on this years $$$ cap) and only 1 million for next year. This way the Rangers can use their cap this year to help them get a 3 million $$$ player on their roster for next year with only a 1 million $$$ hit to next years cap. Is this what teams are doing? Or is what I am suggesting not allowed? Thanks anyone for your help.

Cecil Turtle

2. Flyers4Ever says:

I don’t even remember hearing about this guy at all, but looking at his stats I am pretty impressed. Too bad we don’t need ANOTHER center. Anyone else have any info on him?

3. SabresFan220 says:

I thought I saw Potulny playing wing a lot in Minnesota. Maybe he can play both and they put him at center to accomodate Phil Kessel on a powerplay unit?

I look at Ryan Potulny and I see a guy who could really scare a lot of teams. Not a Brett Hull calibre sniper, but few ever will be. I think he will be a quick contributor to the Flyers sooner than you might expect. He reminds me of Justin Williams, it wouldn’t shock me to see him contribute right away like Williams did in his rookie year too.

4. nonhl2005 says:

He was part of ’03 draft with Carter and Richards, that is looking like the best draft Clarke has done. Carter, Richards, Picard, Ruzicka and now having Potulny in the fold

5. Flyers4Ever says:

Yea that was a heck of a draft for us. I like Picard a lot too. I hear good things up Ruzicka, but don’t they keep dropping him down to their ECHL team?

6. Flyers4Ever says:

Nevermind, I see I was wrong, maybe that was last season for the Phantoms when he kept going up and down. He has pretty decent stats on a depelted Phantoms team. I can’t wait for Eager to be a mainstay on the Flyers.

7. NiittymakiForVezina says:

How do you figure the Flyers are getting Kessel?

8. goalieman32 says:

kessel was his teammate at the University of Minnesota. they stacked the powerplay and had kessel and potulny on, moving potulny to center and have kessel on the wing.

9. Flyers4Ever says:

I don’t think he means we are getting Kessel, just that they played together on the power play.

10. NiittymakiForVezina says:

Whoops. It was just worded strange i guess.

11. Flyer_Dman says:

You just blew my mind.

12. goalieman32 says:

no problem

13. NemiNA says:

I like this. He played RW alot at Minnesota. He had 41 goals in 38 games I believe. He’s supposed to be a big deal.

14. Villanova says:

I dont think the league allows that. Teams can structure contracts to pay a guy 5 mil this year and 3 mil next year or the other way around. Regardless of how they do it, the average annual salary counts against the cap. So for both years, 4 million would be in the cap figure.

I’ve seen NFL teams doing this often. Specifically, the Eagles were notorious for doing this. They sign high price free agents and load the contracts in the first year when they have room, then they don’t get killed in future years. Also, once the roster is finalized around Oct-Nov, they sign young players to extensions, utilizing 100% of the cap. Its a great strategy that helps teams out. I wish the NHL allowed this.

15. Villanova says:

I think we’ll get to see him soon. Apparently Hitch is going to give him a week or so to rest after the college season and to get acclimated to the area. Then, he will likely play a few games. Weird league rules prohibit him from playing in the AHL, so the phantoms aren’t an option. But he can play NHL. I’m curious to see what he looks like since he put up 41 goals.

16. Flyers4Ever says:

I am surprised they didn’t sign him to an ATO on the phantoms and just gave him a flat out entry level contract to the flyers. Both Carter and Richards got ATO’s for the phantoms as did I believe Ryan Ready got 4 of them they liked him so much.

17. Villanova says:

It might be because of his age. Carter and Richards were 18-19 when they got the ATO’s with the Phantoms. Potulny is 21.

18. Flyers4Ever says:

Ryan Ready was 27 last year . . .

19. Villanova says:

I thought ready was just signed to a minor league contract. Not the same thing as carter or richards.

20. cecilturtle says:

I did not know it was the average annual salary that counts towards the cap… Sorry about Nova… I really wish they were playing tonight. I went to their basketball camp at Nova in 85… I met and trained for a week with Rollie and the rest of the team right before their Cinderella season. Anyway thanks again.