Hemsky to Senators rumours

13 Responses to Hemsky to Senators rumours

1. doorman says:

Nonis should be willing to trade kadri, along with any other player on his roster for the right deal, period!! I don’t care how much skill Kadri has and there is plenty, he will never be a great two way force. This doesn’t mean I want him traded or think he is useless, it means in the right deal I will not be sad to see him gone.

2. leafs_wallace93 says:

Perhaps Nonis should take a run at Volchenkov in an effort to stabilize the blueline. Figure NJ might be more inclined in a younger Franson going the other way (add whatever minor pieces you see fit). Volchenkov, Gunnerson and Gleason would help minimize SA.

• leafy says:

I still like Franson. Call me crazy.

• leafs_wallace93 says:

I don’t despise him but Phaneuf isn’t going anywhere, Rielly isn’t going anywhere so to shake up the top four you’re giving up Franson or Gardiner. I like Gardiner better.

• Gambo says:

I only like Franson as a 5th dman. He can’t handle going up against top 6 forwards. But he does put up a lot of secondary assists so i’m sure he’ll command a huge raise.

I don’t know if this kind of thing matters to you guys, but that trade would make our entire blueline lefties. Doesn’t really bother me, but it’s nice to have one right handed option.

Having said that, I believe it’s Cody’s R handed shot that has given him so many opportunities to play top unit on the PP all year, when clearly Gardiner or Rielly would be a better option. Franson and Dion is just a clunky combo. Because of this Cody has been able to put up steady points all year and has been our most consistent offensive contributor from a blueline that doesn’t put up points.

Of course, a major reason why we don’t put up numbers from our back end is because we’re often on our heels and generate a lot of our chances off the rush. If we had other teams hemmed in more often you’ll see more goals come from working it back to the point, or have a dman jump up like Rielly’s goal the other night.

3. kessel_leafs81 says:

keeping it sens related, i do see a need for skilled winger, i could see a deadline deal sens sending a first rounder over to oils for hemsky, playing with spezza and greening on top line hemsky could really take off to the player he can be. Ive always been a fan of hemsky and i hope he doesnt go to ottawa.

4. TmLeafan says:

If anybody is hoping/waiting for Kadri to get traded I think they are going to be dissapointed.

Dave Nonis does not have a history of giving up on young players early. As poorly as Kadri is playing lately we cannot afford to trade him. We are not exactly an offensive powerhouse after Kessel and JVR and we don’t have a lot of high end talent coming through in terms of forwards so why would we trade one of our biggest offensive threats?

Elliote Freeman mentioned this a while back but here is the list of players who averaged .92 points per game playing at least 48 times as a 22-year-old: Malkin, Ovechkin, Crosby, Spezza, Kovalchuk, Backstrom, Stamkos, Stastny, Getzlaf, Mike Richards, Patrick Kane, Kopitar, Tavares, Semin, Toews, Hemsky, and Stepan.

Some pretty elite company right there. I think he has a lot more to give. Of course I would be down to trade him for a stud 1st line centre coming back but nobody is trading those players, we need to be realistic.

A few trade ideas for the offseason:

NYI: Franson, Gauthier, 3rd rd pick
    Tor: Hamonic

STL: Kulemin, Finn
    TOR: Chris Stewart

WPG: Reimer, Gunnarson, Ashton
    TOR: Byuflien

Sign a UFA to back up Bernie, let Mcclement walk. Possibly flip Byuflien to the Flyers.

• Gambo says:

Why let Mcclement walk?

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

No one denies Kadri’s talent level and if he plays like last night, which he is capable, he would be a valuable piece. The list of centres you provide is a great list, but all those players were playing in the NHL prior to 22 years old and .92 were not in a shortened season where teams were not really able to prepare for their opponents properly. The shortened season does make a difference and we are seeing teams prepared better for the Leafs, as well as Kadri now, which is making a difference.
      As for Kadri, I can’t be the only one that notices the difference in his demeanor on the bench this year over last. Last year, when a coach tried to teach him, he was nodding his head in acknowledgement. This year, he is looking back at the coaches, shoulders shrugged, arms out, as if to say ” I AM doing what I am supposed to, what do you want from me”. This is where the “perceived” attitude is not perceived, it’s real. He is a difficult player to coach, and if he would just realize that he is not great yet, and the coaches are trying to help him get there, so just listen, Kadri could be a very good and consistent player. He needs to stop fighting his coaches and listen and learn.

As for the trades suggested, only one is remotely possible and that would be the Winnipeg one. That one is still iffy especially if Buff stays as a forward and keeps producing. The Isle’s are not trading Hamonic for that and we are not getting Stewart for UFA Kulimen and A D prospect where St. Louis is the deepest on D. Maybe Berglund, but not Stewart for that.

There will not likely be a trade of Kadri for a number one centre, not even in a package. It makes no sense for the other team. It also doesn’t make sense to only move Kadri if we are getting a centre in return and I’m not sure why everyone insists this will be the only way. If a team is willing to move their centre’s, it’s because they feel a weakness somewhere else in their line-up is a greater need, whether it be goaltending, defense, wing, whatever.
      We should be open to moving Kadri in a package to get a top d-man from a team that has d depth and then flip some of our d depth for a centre from a team that has centre depth but needs d-men. Or flip Kadri for the d-man we need and then pursue a UFA like Stastny in the off-season. Personally, I would be happy with Bozak, Bolland, Stastny, Holland, with McClement on the 4th line wing and able to step into centre incase of injuries.

5. mapleleafsfan says:

Well Kadri was amazing last night. That’s the kind of player he can be when his compete level is up. Embarrassed Emelin on that play, what a pylon.

JVR celly was perfect.