HOSSA FOR HEATLEY

Wow what a trade – HOSSA FOR HEATLEY

Its Marian Hossa, and defenseman Greg de Vries for Dany Heatley.

This news comes after the Sens made Hossa the highest paid player in franchise history. Atlanta owes the forward $5 million for 05-06, $6 million for 06-07 and $7 million for 07-08.

let the comments begin!

It should also be noted that Heatley signed a new 3 yea r13.5 million dollar deal with the Sens. This trade works to free up some cap space for the Sens.

411 Responses to HOSSA FOR HEATLEY

1. jrl2282 says:

cocaine is a hell of a drug…

2. pens_fan says:

lol im prob the only canadian to have pittsburgh as there favourite team (not a bandwagon either) they been my fav team since i started watching hockey

3. pens_fan says:

LOL heatley can outplay any player on the leafs but sundin any day of the week

4. H_E_DBL_HCKY_STCKS says:

I’m a leaf fan, stellar remarks lukelame or whatever your screener is.

5. H_E_DBL_HCKY_STCKS says:

Not a very classy remark, have some class idiot.

6. H_E_DBL_HCKY_STCKS says:

Not a very classy remark, have some class idiot.

7. G_Money says:

When you say that Heatley has never been close to the playoffs before you mean, TEAM HEATLEY AND KOVALCHUK. Heatley simply didnt have the supporting cast like he has now in Ottawa.

8. venom21 says:

“Heatley is a class act” LMFAO, oh boy, if going over the speed limit, losing control of your vehicle and killing your friend is class, then I’d rather not be classy. The fact is, Heatley’s been a mess since the accident and hasn’t been able to regain his past form. If he does, then yea Ottawa made a great trade but if not….then well they’ll continue to lose to the Leafs in the playoffs again.

9. H_E_DBL_HCKY_STCKS says:

Leafy you couldn’t be more wrong man Ottawa is gonna win the cup now. And this is coming from me….THE BIGGEST F***IN’ LEAF FAN ON THE PLANET. Heatley straight up for Hossa I would do in a Canadian heart beat. Considering the cir*****stances Waddell got fair compensation for Heatley, don’t forget Heatley is only 24, 2 years younger than Hossa and he has that Canadian ticker beating in his chest. Congrats to Ottawa, I am jealous the leafs couldnt do anything to get Heatley.

10. Deke says:

Can’t you read…It says 2:34 PM on Eklunds post. That’s not morning that is mid afternoon.

11. habs_punk says:

I can’t believe you just said that. Could you possibly be more of an asshole? A guy makes one mistake, a mistake that almost ANYONE would make if they had a ferrarri at 23 years of age, and because of the consequences, you say he’s not a class act? He came out of that incident much more mature, much smarter. One things for sure, based on the content of your post, Dany’s a hell of a lot classier than you ever will be.

12. habs_punk says:

A little jealous that Ottawa has a GM with the balls to pull off a blockbuster trade?

Hands down, he got one of the 5 best young players in the league. He gave up a hell of a player, but Heatley is so much better than Hossa.

13. Deke says:

I think Atlanta got better immediately and Ottawa MAY get better later….Good trade for both.

14. NemiNA says:

This trade doesn’t excite me at all. Heatley isn’t his formal self and Hossa is WAY OVER PAID! Good move for Ottawa however as they clear up some cap room and get a scorer with the same potential.

15. Flyer_Dman says:

I couldn’t agree with you more. But to say that Heatley will be better in the playoffs than a .666 point per game average without ever playing in one playoff game is a bit rash.

16. JeffBurnz09 says:

The basic rule around here is that a Canadian player is better than a European player, just because…I think Hossa is a much better player to, but Heatley is Canadian, going to be playing on a Canadian team, so we have to automatically believe he’s a huge superstar, etc, etc…

17. JeffBurnz09 says:

I still think Atlanta got the best of this deal. Heatley is damaged goods, and is a bit of a question mark. He’s played poorly since the accident in every league or tournement he was involved in, and it remains to be seen if he can return to his old form when he gets back to playing a full season in the NHL. Heatley is a question mark, and on his best day, I don’t think he’s the player Hossa is.

Atlanta gets Hossa, a player who is proven, in his prime, comming off great seasons, doesn’t have the injury problems, emotional distractions, legal problems, or dead teammates on his resume that Heatley has. Hossa is a better player, and along with that, they get de Vries, a pretty solid defenceman.

If Heatley is his old self again, this is good for Ottawa. If now, Atlanta wins by a land slide. The only way I think this is a great deal for Ottawa is if by ridding themselves of the Hossa situation, they are able to re-sign Redden, who I really think is alot more valuable than they seem to believe he is.

18. Neely4Life says:

he was the MVP at the 2004 Worlds buddy, do ur research before u make a comment like that. And that was after the accident.

19. skidragoon says:

hey, im not sayin they gonna win the cup but they still have a high chance.

20. skidragoon says:

“dude” you suck

your city sucks

your coach sucks

be jealous “dude”

21. skidragoon says:

thats a first someone, leaving disapointment to set themself up with more disapointments, o wait cujo…

22. Neely4Life says:

your IQ cant be higher than 25

23. edmontonrules says:

I wouldn’t say 10x. I might say 1.3x though. Atlanta definitely won the deal.

24. skidragoon says:

i like heatley, but taking a cheap shot like the guy said is just like the comments earlier in this article of someone purples breaking sundins legs, I dont see you standing up for sundin he is a person just as well thus making you none better.

25. Neely4Life says:

Hopfully they can get rid of Smolinski now, and let their young guns give it a go, and get some more new blood in there. Give Eaves amd Kaigorodov a shot. These two guys have star potnetional. and for those of you who dont know who Kaigorodov is, i think everyone will find out soon enough. just look him up!

26. skidragoon says:

i dont get why sens and habs fans get together to make fun of leafs, just because we have been the best team in the last decade, jk thats why you guys hate us. P.s to the comment about heatley better then all the sundin, lindros and allison are in a similar position he is in so i kinda doubt thats fair.

27. skidragoon says:

HEY IF ANY OF YOU MANAGE TO SCROLL THIS FAR, READ THIS FROM A LEAF FAN:

When we signed lindros alot of you took his history into play and how he isn’t the same, currently heatley is in a similar position. But none the less, we will have to see who can manage better. In other news I can now like Hossa. 😀 hehe, anyways hossa is gonna rip the league up this year with the new nhl, I dont think heatley will be at hossa’s level, but eventually they will be similar in point production. Hey to you sens fans “We will win the cup” remember that, good ol alfy, just pulling your legs guys. I look forward to the season where we will play you guys and also you pens fans who all of a sudden came out of nowhere and added to the leaf bashing 😉 GL to all teams.

GO LEAFS GO!!!

28. bujanx says:

your not seriously comparing Lindros’ 8 concussions to Heatley’s NONE !!

He killeded someone else .. didint hurt himleft a bid … Just needs some time in a new place to get over it !

29. venom21 says:

People have said much wose things about Heatley, in this thread even. I was just saying that I don’t consider Heatley a classy player like the guy said. Yes people do make mistakes in life, but some are much bigger than others. Being the primary reason for someone’s death is a lot more consequential than say someone cheating on an exam. I don’t show much sympathy towards people who make life changing mistakes, to not only themselves but others. And for the excuse that “any kid at 23 with a ferrari would do the same” is just retarded. Every person should be able to realize what they are doing and be able to prevent things like that from happening. A mature person (even at 23) would not have been doing 100km/h over the speed limit at night and putting both himself and his friend at risk. He did and as a result his frined dies and he has to live with that for the rest of his life. Don’t get me wrong, I like Heatley as a player and I wish him the best in life, but I along with countless others lost a lot of respect for him after the accident.

30. bujanx says:

Hossa Injury .. TORN ACL + emotional Baggage of Taking Bryan Berards’ Eye !

Heatley: Same injury torn ACL , Killed someone

Physicall injuries are exactly the same , they are both 100 % phisically .. Heatley just need a change to get over his phicological problems

31. Team1053 says:

Comments like yours give hockey talk a bad name. Once the Sens start kicking ass this year, maybe you should change your screen name to I”m a loser… Give your head a shake man, think before you type.

32. CaptainInsano says:

Ilya Kovalchuk actually posted in this thread.

33. Scruffy05 says:

He was born Russain though…. well, Soviet. They are kinda cut from the same mould. And hell, if you don’t like that answer than Russainish!

34. JeffBurnz09 says:

You know, I was watching TSN the other day, and they were mentioning how Heatley probably won’t make Team Canada this year because he’s had such a poor showing at the World Cup, World Championships this year, and in Europe this year….so maybe you should send them an email, because they seem to think the same thing I do, he’s not that good anymore, and he’s not as good as Hossa on his best day anyway…

but I know, Heatley is Canadian, and Hossa isn’t, so Heatley will be better than Hossa even if Hossa outscares him by 80 points this year.

35. Neely4Life says:

Pretty sure i didnt say anything about the last 2, u said after the car crash, and the 2004 WC were after. And everythign is speculation, none of them said he wasnt, or couldnt be a star again. Your one of those people who have no thoughts of their own. Heatly won the calder, Hossa didnt, so who had th ebetter rookie year? Yeah, ur a moron buddy.

36. Neely4Life says:

dude, he’ll never get over it. Just needs to try n concentrate on other things, with different people and things around him.

37. cwthrash says:

by habsoverserver on Tuesday, August 23 @ 21:39:22 CDT

Looking at this deal, one has to feel bad for our old friend cwthrash.

Don’t feel bad for me, I certainly don’t.

Heatley was going to be emotionally hamstrung if he continued to play in Atlanta. An unhappy player is not going to be a productive player. That is definitely a disappointment to us Thrasher fans who wanted to see him here for many, many years. Unfortunate, but it is what it is and there’s nothing us fans can do but accept it.

But now we get another superstar type of player, as well as a very solid Dman. Given the cir*****stances, I couldn’t be happier. I would have loved it if Heatley could have stayed here and become a great player but with all that has happened, it just wasn’t meant to be.

Nobody got hosed or fleeced in this deal. Heatley wanted to get away from some horrible memories, and Ottawa was pressing in too tight to the cap for the next couple years with Hossa and a couple other star-type players surely wanting big bucks soon. Both were caught between a rock and a hard place, neither team coming from a real position of strength. They both resolved their respective situations as best they could.

I’ve only skimmed the responses, but I’ve only seen a handful that are similar to mine. Too many people are focusing on the talent or comparison or potential angles in this deal, not enough people are seeing the reasons why this trade came about. One of these teams may end up “losing” this trade when the smoke clears, but it’s not like either one of them had much choice. Atlanta would have been saddled with an unhappy and consequently unproductive player, while Ottawa would certainly have lost at least one and possibly two of their star players next season if they didn’t shed some salary quickly.

Doesn’t matter who “wins” or “loses” this trade now or in the future. Point is, both teams would have gotten almost no value for the players they would have lost had this trade not happened. They both win by default.

This doesn’t mean I’m back per se. Just read through probably more than a 1000 comments on a few boards about this, and saw surprisingly few that actually mentioned the reasons why this trade happened. Came here to see what was being said, and just couldn’t resist putting in my two cents.

38. d0rd says:

shitty Worlds?

right…he only got MVP.

Honestly, I remember when I first started reading your articles there Leafy, thinking who let this guy post anything. Then the age thing came up, and I thought, give the kid a chance, but ever since then, you’ve become a real arrogant pr1ck and without reason.

Do us all a favour and stfu…just go away.

39. bunks says:

good call! however, can heatley return to form after his knee injury? only time will tell. if the answer is yes, heatley may be the best player in the nhl in a few years time.

40. bunks says:

you smell dingleberries because you are a fag!

41. lukeleim says:

didn’t kovalchuk learn english when he moved here to play for the thrashers. He picked up on grammer really quickly. lol, who impersonates a nhl hockey player.

42. lukeleim says:

OTTAWA DID NOT WIN THIS TRADE!!!!!!!!!!!!

it was even and if anything atlanta won. Wow, ottawa fans are worse than leaf fans. at least when the leafs got lindros they realized the risk involved but as i look at the comments here some have in cap letters “OTTAWA IS GOING TO WIN THE CUP”, or something along those lines. Heatley is such a character player im sure he’ll bounce back. Although, EVEN IF HE DOES, this trade will still be even. Both players are young, heatley 24 and hossa 26. Its like trading an apple for an apple. BUT on top of it all, atlanta scores and top 4 D. Why i think it was a smart move for ottawa is not because they are even star players but that heatley will come at a cheaper price which inevitably allows them to keep the likes of redden who is a great defense.

43. habs_punk says:

I’m sorry I didn’t read every single one of the 200+ comments in this thread, I must have missed the Sundin one.

44. vanstan says:

You stupid DIPSHIT. VANSTAN!! I LIVE IN VANcouver. Put 2 and 2 together moron

45. Scottman75 says:

Learn to spell and use proper grammar. Stay in school and learn a little about english and quality sports franchises.

46. thekeyholespy says:

eklund lives in philly and has over 400 nhl contacts including players agents gms and coachs

47. H_E_DBL_HCKY_STCKS says:

Habsfanforever I thought you were a smart dude until this comment, the Leafs may still not be the youngest team on the block but they still have a solid team. Sure they have holes but what team doesn’t? The habs aren’t that strong, so stop throwing rocks straigh up in the air, because eventually they come back down…..right IN YOUR FACE!

GO LEAFS GO! A-HOLES!

48. CBA says:

You are an idiot!

Heatley had a shitty season because he was hurt! Got that? Ottawa is sure he’ll return to form, otherwise they would have never traded Hossa for him!

God, you’re a moron.

49. positive_comments says:

Oh you must be right because you can see into the future right? NO… ya thats what I thought! It’s funny because I don’t recall commenting about your Habs and I don’t remember commenting about the leafs taking the cup… all I recall saying was that we beat the Sens everytime we meet in the playoffs… am I wrong I don’t think so, unless the last 5 or 6 years of hockey have been a dream?