Forgetting the Perry/Getzlaf scenario, here’s six other UFA names that could move:

— Mark Steit. The Swiss-born offensive New York Islanders defenceman could be a first unit power-play guy on a contender. He’s got a connection to Oilers head coach Ralph Krueger, but maybe they sign him in the summer.

— Nik Antropov. The Jets forward can be a big-body, top-nine guy on a team with Cup hopes. There is a history between the Blackhawks and the Jets because Winnipeg GM Kevin Cheveldayoff used to be the assistant GM in Chicago.

— Ryan Whitney. The Oilers defenceman is in the last year of his six-year contract and has been scratched two of his team’s last four games. The Oilers aren’t about to let him walk away for free.

— Robyn Regehr. His foot speed has fallen off in Buffalo and there are lots of miles on his body, but he’s a warrior. Could the Kings use him with Matt Greene and Willie Mitchell’s injury problems on the back-end?

— Tim Connolly. The Leafs buried his $4.6 million contract in the minors with their AHL club. Come April, though, somebody will be looking for an offensive centre who’s played close to 700 games. The key with a team trading for him: he’s almost always hurt.

— Dustin Penner. The big guy has two Cup rings but has been a regular scratch for the Kings, playing just three games this season. He does his best work in the playoffs. No bad thing — so did Esa Tikkanen.

27 Responses to Key NHL players who could be dealt Mark Streit, Nik Antropov, Ryan Whitney, Robyn Regehr, Tim Connolly and Dustin Penner all ripe for the peddling

Scott Howson relieved of duties in Columbus.

JD will make a difference there. I wonder if Neil Smith will get the job as GM…

• lafleur10 says:

maybe brian burke could get the job in columbus.

• nordiques100 says:

looks like it will be jarmo kekalainen. interesting choice. first ever European GM possibly.

He did well in St Louis as a scout finding Perron, Backes, Oshie, Polak among others.

I think experience there would be better, but I guess Davidson has enough experience in his own right.

2. 93killer93 says:

So TSN is reporting that the asking price for O’Reilly is a roster player and a top prospect. Colorado want to sign him for 2 years 3.5mil per.

• doorman says:

Ya but what level of each lol

• doorman says:

Would you do colbourne and Grabo?

• 93killer93 says:

I like the value, but to be honest I’m very hesitant about trading for him. If he turned down 3.5mil per and they’re that far apart, I don’t know what it would take to get him signed.

Often times, you hear what a guy turns down, then he’s traded and ends up earning barely any more. Once he’s traded its a whole new negotiation and usually the agent won’t hold out again, risking his client becoming a “headache” or something.

I bet you could get him signed at 5 years x $3.9 mil per season.

I would do Colborne and Grabo.

• Gambo says:

Yeah i’d also do that.

Ha, the prospect Colborne would be the same age (or a year older?) than O’Reilly.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

Grabo is off to a slow start by his standards, but he is a little underrated I think. He plays against the other teams top lines allowing Carlysle to try and keep Kessel away from them. He plays with heart (and teeth LOL) and never complains…hard to find all of that. Plus, Grabo averages 50-60pts a season while doing all of this. We can only hope O’Reilly does better.
              That said, I would do Grabo for O’Reilly straight up(I like O’Reilly’s size and potential) or with a lesser prospect (D’Amigo, Ashton) which may appeal more to Colorado anyway as they need help on the wings.
              It would also depend on whether Colorado would let Nonis speak to O’Reilly(agent) about money first as well.

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

I wonder if we could get away with MacArthur + Colborne? Maybe add a conditional 2nd in 2014 if they do not re-sign MacArthur.

They need wingers more than centers, they add a big 3rd line center prospect with top 6 potential and get compensated if they cannot hold onto MacArthur.

Probably not enough though.

• nordiques100 says:

It would probably take Kulemin + either Biggs or Percy. Something along those lines.

I don’t think Colborne is considered much of a prospect in the Toronto ranks.

I’d probably have him behind Reilly, Biggs, Percy, Ashton and Finn.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

I’m not saying you’re suggesting we do the trade, but I really don’t like giving up Kulimen. Now we would only have one Big winger really(JVR)in the top 6, but another centreman.
        I think we have to be careful in making a trade for a guy like O’Reilly. His first two seasons were only 26pts each(not very impressive). He has a good third season and…he’s a must have kind of guy?
        We have two 2nd line centres in Grabo and Bozak and a possible third in Kadri. We don’t need another so bad that we give up something we lack (size on the wings in the top 6)IMO
        Nonis has to be patient(so do we) and make smart trades. The team is playing well and seems to be developing chemistry under Carlysle, so we can afford to be a little patient. If we don’t get O’Reilly it won’t kill us, all 4 of our centres are playing well. That’s the way I see it anyway.

• doorman says:

Ya his points totals, weren’t the best in his first two seasons, but he was a known PK and defensive player. Odd for a young scorer to accept that. I would be hesitant to give up Kulemin for him, unless it was part of a bigger trade. I do like O’Reilly though. I think he would fit in well in carlyles system.

• nordiques100 says:

O’Reilly is definitely a top 2nd line centre though. He brings a significant amount.

He is not that different from Kuly. He has a big body, he is strong on the puck, he grinds, he can play physical.

As a centre though, there is more value there. His first two year point totals may not have been great, but he did show improvement in the goal department going from 8 to 13 to 18. i think he has a high ceiling but either way, you know you’re getting a contribution from him.

I think too his consistent physical play, defensive awareness and leadership abilities are great intangibles.

Its pretty fair to move Kuly in a deal for him. And O’Reilly also has played wing as the Avs at times loaded the top 2 lines which were centred by Duchene and Stastny (though i believe O’Reilly took more draws).

The drawback I see is the chemistry that Grabovski/Kulemin have. Grabovski is a hard guy to find players to play with it seems. He has not been a fit with Kessel or Lupul for that matter. It seems Kuly is the most consistent player to join him.

But I do like O’Reilly. And I am pretty sure many other teams do as well. I think he can be as good as Mike Richards.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

I don’t disagree with you Nords on O’Reilly. I’m not saying value wise it’s not fair. I’m talking about the needs of each team and who has the stronger situation right now.
            toronto is in the playoff hunt. Colorado is last in the west and has a young player who will not re-sign. I think we should give them value but not a player that we still need. We should deal from a positon of strength or not deal.IMO
            I don’t mind giving up Grabo as much because O’Reilly moves in that positon. All I’m saying is that we are not desperate for O’Reilly. If we were selling off and rebuilding again, then I’m fine with that trade. I don’t think that is Nonis plan though.

He put up 26 points, but as an 18 year old. Not a big thing that he didn’t bust out.

3. 93killer93 says:

Also as per Eklund, I know…, if the Ducks can only sign 1 of Perry or Getzlaf then they’ll go for Perry.

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

saw that, really awesome if it is true.

Grabovski, MacArthur, Holzer, conditional 2014 pick for Getzlaf. The way Anaheim is playing… no chance it happens. 😛

• doorman says:

Ya, that makes sense, lol. They are going to let the guy who publicly states he wants to stay and is their captian. A playoff round probably fixes there ability to sign both, then again so does trading Bobby Ryan, lol.

4. doorman says:

wow Clb. hires Jarmo Kekalainen and makes him the first euro GM in NHL history. I wonder if we will see any immediate changes in the organization?

5. The problem is that if you offer him a 5 year deal, you’re eating away one year of his UFA. So, if he’s able to get a bigger payday negotiating a new contract in 4 years, why sign for 5? On the flip side, no way Avs sign him for 4, knowing full well that he’ll be a UFA. I’m pretty sure they offered him a 2 year deal, similar to Duchene. If he signs a 2 year deal, he’ll be in the same position again where he’s limited in what he’ll receive. No way they offer him back to back 2 year deals, and if he’s planning on signing a long term contract after his 2 year deal, they will have to bump the numbers big time to make it worth not being a UFA. Sadly, players don’t look for what they’re worth, what other 22 year olds are making, or what other players on his level are making – they want that UFA pay and it forces GM’s to offer long term contracts that are just ridiculous. (yes, GM’s offer them out, but these players force their hands)