The latest on the availability of defenceman Jake Gardiner

In other news, the Toronto Maple Leafs continue to get calls on the availability of defenceman Jake Gardiner.

Sources tell The Dreger Report an additional two teams called last week to inquire about the possibility of a trade. But unless a substantial offer surfaces, Gardiner will not be traded and the Leafs insist they are not shopping him.

It’s believed last week’s interest was generated by the ongoing media speculation. To date, Toronto has not received an offer for Gardiner.

87 Responses to The latest on the availability of defenceman Jake Gardiner

1. doorman says:

So here is the deal, Gardiner is avail and so are many other young talented players around the league, as long as the price is right. Next

2. leafs_wallace93 says:

Leafs are 6-1 with Clarkson on the way… is there any urgency to deal perhaps our most promising young RFA?

I don’t want to make any moves. I think we could just get healthy, then later in the year move a prospect and/or pick for a defenceman. My preference would be a shut down Dman, but I’d take a really good two-way, veteran Dman who could improve our back end.

Here are some players on expiring contracts:

Kimo Timonen, Philly could be out of it later in the year
    Andrej Mezaros, Philly
    Hal Gill, Philly (wouldn’t give up much)
    Sami Salo, Tampa
    Nick Schultz, Oilers
    Henrik Tallinder, Buffalo
    Dan Girardi, Rangers (brutal start for NYR, could be a rough year under Vigneault)
    Stephane Robidas, Dallas
    Derek Morris, Phoenix
    Ron Hainsey, Hurricanes
    Tom Gilbert, Florida (More offensive guy, but RHD and pretty solid)

It would be good to see the Rangers have to pay Lunqvist a 5 year deal worth around $9 million a season, and maybe have to make some decisions on the back end. If they shopped Dan Girardi with the hopes of holding onto Staal, McDonough, and Del Zotto as a still very solid core, they’ll get plenty of interest and it would be a very modern day Sather-esque move to grab a couple of young assets and continue to work that cap.

I think Girardi could be that solid, steady, shot blocking shut down defenceman that Randy Carlyle could really get good use out of. Maybe a deadline move, if the Rangers are out of it, where we send them one of our decent young prospects (Blacker, Finn, Percy, preferably not Percy) along with a 2nd or something could get it done.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

Not likely to get Girardi for a “decent” young pick and a 2nd(which we don’t have one). Girardi leads them in icetime and is a first pairing D in NYR and we are going to get him for Percy and a 2nd…don`t think so. They will want a roster player and a prospect at the least. Gunnar straight up doesn`t get Girardi, nevermind Percy and a pick. It would take at least a Gunnar type roster player and a good prospect.IMO

• mapleleafsfan says:

Agreed. NYR are still in win now mode, despite sucking. They would need players who can play now, not futures.

That said, I like Girardi and he’s a very solid player, but I’m not sure I’d pay the price it would cost. His decision making isn’t all that great, and he won’t help our brutal break out. The cost to resign him would likely be steep, and I don’t really agree with locking a lot of money into pure shutdown D. If he cost ~5 mill to resign that’s a pretty big hit on the cap. I’d rather go cheaper for what he brings to the table.

That said, I don’t really care to make a move on the blue line right now. Who do you drop? Not going to get much better value than Fraser, Franson is our only RHD, Rielly and Phaneuf are going nowhere. I’d hate to move Gardiner to free up room for a defensive guy, and would replacing Gunnarsson with a Smid/Petry etc be that big of an upgrade?

I say just wait it out, ride the hot streak and see if our D can’t figure out how to break out of our zone. If we eventually start to struggle, or get an incredible offer, sure.

• leafs_wallace93 says:

Remember the Rick Nash sweepstakes? Burke offered a package that included Lupul, so glad CBJ didn’t bite on that, not to mention everyone who said that a Nash for Kessel deal made sense (which it didn’t). Nash just isn’t a game breaker.

• mapleleafsfan says:

Agreed. I used to think Nash was better than Kessel, but there’s just no way. Very glad we have both Lupul and Kessel right now. Lupul is a heart guy on a good contract who puts up the same points as Nash anyways.

Rick Nash is really amazing, but ya glad we didn’t flip Kessel or Lupul for him.

I mean, given what the Rangers gave up for him, I still wish we would have gone after him, but oh well.

Maybe we’ll get Vanek! Haha, doubt it, wing is least of our worries, but who the hell knows.

Interesting speculation mapleleafsfan and realistic, of course they are in win-now mode in October. This is a hypothetical for if they are out of it at the deadline, otherwise they would never move Girardi at all.

As of right now, John Moore seems to be getting decent playing time, and is on the top PP unit, so he could be the cheap, young dman they want. Percy and a 2nd would be enough in my opinion, prefer to make it Finn, but we’ll see. If you think it would cost a 1st round pick or something, that might be the case, we’ll have to see what the market dictates at this year’s deadline, each year seems to be unique, so I wouldn’t be speaking so assuredly if I were the two of you. (Don’t worry, I saw the “IMO” at the end 😉 )

As for Gunnarsson for Girardi, that’s a sideways move. Makes no sense from a Leafs standpoint to trade a player under contract for the next few years, for a player of similar ilk on an expiring contract. Although I know you’re desperate to unload Gunner, realisticleaf.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

C’mon Mojo, I didn’t say to trade Gunnar, I said it would take a Gunnar type player and prospect. I was referring to the quality of player, not the exact player.
          For the record. I am not desperate or wanting to trade Gunnar, I just feel he is a logical guy to be moved to get what we need more of if a move is pursued. I am happy keeping Gunnar, but I do not think this D is good enough as is.

5. leafs_wallace93 says:

I’m liking the Bernier/Riemer duo, wouldn’t mind seeing Reimer resign and keep the tandem. If they could long term cost the same as a franchise goaltender combine it’d be money well spent IMO.

Perhaps we’ll have to ship out a Franson, Phaneuf, Ranger (let him walk) or Gardiner to bring in a cheap shutdown blueliner and balance our blueline and make some cap room. I’d prefer strong goaltending at the expense of any other position.

• mapleleafsfan says:

Love the Goaltending duo. Haven’t felt this confident in our goalies in a long time. After Bernier’s poise, Reimer scares me a bit, but he always seems to make up for his bad rebound control. I don’t think we will have these two goalies past this year, both want to be / can be starters, and more teams seem to have goalie issues now. Would be nice.

Wouldn’t want to lose Phaneuf to keep a backup though. Hoping he gets resigned to a decent deal.

With Reimer’s contract up at seasons end, it just seems really likely that he will move on. However, if Bernier winds up really taking the reigns, and Reimer is willing, it’s possible that we see him signed to a short contract to remain in the Blue and White for another season or two at reasonable cap hit.

6. leafs_wallace93 says:

So Edmonton is looking to move Yakupov, could see the Habs trading Subban while his stock is high, the Jets offer Byfuglien or Bogosian in a package, Buffalo packaging Tyler Myers and Miller….

• Gambo says:

Gardiner and Reimer 😉

Yeah Montreal would love him, more so Galchenyuk would love him. Jets fans would go crazy if they could get him, but don’t have a goalie to offer.

• leafs_wallace93 says:

We’re ok on the wing, I’d rather Gardiner and Reimer. But I know, I’ll repeat an early post

Kessel – Bozak – JVR
        Lupul – Kadri – Yakupov
        Kulemin – Bolland – Clarkson
        Raymond – McClement – Orr

Just wow…

• mapleleafsfan says:

Ugh thats filthy. I’d probably pull the trigger if Edmonton would. Having all four top 4 wingers capable of hitting 30, and some maybe even 40+ (assuming Yak hits potential). You could roll 4 lines no problem and always have a solid scoring threat. Those would be the best top 4 and bottom 4 wingers on any team in the league.

Yakupov hasn’t shown much so far, I don’t think he’s going to be a complete bust, but he might not become a franchise player. Not to mention the “Russian factor”.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d be more than willing to take a shot on the kid. Gardiner and Kulemin over Jake and Reimer though.

I love Kulemin, but if we’re bringing in a winger it’d be better to move out a winger, rather than have Raymond or Kuley playing 4th line and not have the stability/depth in goal that we’re currently enjoying.

• leafs_wallace93 says:

Ten 20+ goal scorers potential?

• Gambo says:

To Edmonton: James Reimer, Brayden Coburn, WPG 1st.

To Winnipeg: Nail Yakupov, JM Liles.

To Philly: Dustin Byfuglien, Mark Fraser.

To Toronto: Luke Schenn, a stand of Hartnell’s hair to wave in front of Dion whenever we need a big hit or fight.

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
      Rielly-Franson
      Gardiner-Schenn
      Ranger

Seriously, not to be taking seriously. I’m serious. But tell me value isn’t a little close haha.

• lafleur10 says:

to edmonton; james reimer,jake gardiner,

to toronto; ryan nugent hopkins,smidt and a 2nd rd pick iin 2015 ,1t rd pick in 2014

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

We will take it! Thanks Lafleur.

• mapleleafsfan says:

I’ve never seen you value leafs players so high Lafleur, wow haha. Not a chance in hell Edmonton would do that unfortunately.

• lafleur10 says:

it’s not that i value you them high it’s just i see mactavish getting fleeced ,he’s not that smart of gm and i think he’s ripe for the picking ,i think it’ll be somebody that will fleece him ,i just used the leafs because of the 2 pieces the oilers need right now a goaltender and a defenceman,and the pieces the leafs could use a bonafided #1 center rnh a high pick and a 2nd i realy think beregvin would fleece mactavish too,or sather,holland,etc…so mapleleafsfan i wouldn’t say there’s no chance in hell the oilers would do that lol when you have a guy tat the gm position that has the smarts of pierre gauthier(which mactavish does) anythings’ possible lol

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

Not taking it seriously, but I don’t even see a reason for most of it.lol
        Flyers give up Schenn and Coburn to get Buff and Fraser? Why?
        Winnipeg gives up Buff and a 1st to get Yakapov but have to take Liles? Why?
        Yakapov is worth Reimer, Coburn AND a 1st? Not in my books…how does Edmonton take on those contracts?
        Toronto’s is about the only one that makes close to any sense to me but now we have no back-up goalie. And people trash my trades.hahaha

• Gambo says:

Flyers new coach plays Schenn the least amount of ice time for dmen on the team, he really doesn’t have any use for him. Fraser can replace Schenn’s minutes and Byfuglien is by far the best Dman out of them, he’ll replace Coburn’s minhtes and more. You gotta give to get.

Winnipeg is getting the biggest asset of the deal, a young future 40-50 goal scorer who is 2 years removed from being a 1st overal pick. They don’t grow on trees. They have a surplus of high end talent on the back end, won’t be devistated if they lose one of them for Yakupov. They lost over 5m with Byfuglien, they can afford to take on Liles, leafs could eat some of his salary.

A 1st, top 4 dman and starting goalie is probably what the Oilers would want if they were to give up Yakupov, he’s got way too much potential to just give up on for nothing. Goalies also don’t have that much value right now in todays market.

Thanks for not taking this seriously…
          Oh and how’s Kassian doing? Just curious.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

Kassian? Honestly, you are going to continue to bring up something from like 2 years ago, twist it and then try to make some point from it? Really? ok man, have at it.lol
            As for the Flyers. No way they give up their leading minutes guy in Coburn and Schenn in one deal to get Buff and Fraser. Since you quoted Yakapov’s draft position…Schenn was a 5th overall pick D-man, 6’2″, 230 lbs and only 23 yrs old, so they grow on trees and have little value? I’m not even sure if Philly trades Coburn for Buff straight up, it solves nothing for Philly. If anything, their backend may be weaker than pre-trade.
            You say Schenn gets fewest minutes so has little value. How much value does Yakapov have to Edmonton as a healthy scratch and no points for their new coach?
            Why does everyone buy into this…Goalies don’t have much value? Schneider was traded for the 9th overall pick. Career Back-up Bernier got a promising winger with 20 goal potential, a quality back-up and a 2nd. How much value does Bernier have right now?…didn’t you call it a steal by Toronto to get Bernier?
            Edmonton, with the young, talented forwards they have up-front, should jump all over Reimer, Coburn and a 1st for Yakapov, but I doubt they get that. That is more than what was given for Nash who was a proven 1st overall pick. Again, how Edmonton adds over $2.5 mil to their payroll I don’t know.
            Winnipeg is going to get rid of their top defenceman in all areas AND their first round pick, also take Liles, who with his contract and may sit in the press box like in Toronto, so they can get Yakapov? I hope Yakapov scores 40-50 because their backend just got a lot weaker and they have to pay Liles not to play for another 3 years.

• lafleur10 says:

news flash we wouldn’t and won’t trade subban ,you don’t trade noriis trophy winning defenceman unless your gettingback crosby,ovechkin kane etc…. we don’t need yakupov and if we did get him i could see a forward zac fucale a 1st rd pick going in a deal

• leafs_wallace93 says:

I’m so looking forward to Montreal locking up Subban to 8+ long term because he isn’t that good.

• lafleur10 says:

you may not think that he’s not that good but the hnl gm’s and hockey writers do they voted him as the best defenceman in the league last season ..hence the norris trophy

• mapleleafsfan says:

For once I agree with Lafleur. I don’t think Subban is on par with the Charas of the world, but he is a very top defencemen. His shot is incredible and he has an edge to him. I think he’s a fool with an ego way to big for his own good, but he’s a hell of a hockey player – and a life long hab unless his demands get ridiculous.

• lafleur10 says:

right now as of this point he’s on par or better than chara,chara has lost a step and is slowly slowing down subban is an elite defenceman and the best in the league currently until someone else wins the norris

• mapleleafsfan says:

Meh agree to disagree I guess. I mean I’d take PK over chara just based on age, but Chara in his prime is too good defensively, PK isn’t on that level. He’s better offensively though. I’d still rather have a stud Dman on both ends IE Weber, Chara etc. Not that PK is bad defensively, but I’d rather trust a lead to one of the other guys mentioned.

Either way, not getting traded.

• lafleur10 says:

subban is very good defensively he’s a + in his career so far guys that win the norris are generally + and good to very good in their own end and very good on offence which subban is ,chara is still very solid and a top dman in the league but he’s getting older and is not as dominate as he’s been

• mapleleafsfan says:

Didn’t say he wasn’t. Karlsson also sucks defensively btw. Norris is for the best offensive Dman in the league. Regardless, Pks a good dman, not arguing it.

Ya the last two Norris trophies have just gone to who finished with the most points. Letang stays healthy he wins.

Suter was the best dman in the league last season, by the way. The voting was trash.

7. Gambo says:

T.J Brennan has 7 goals and 3 assists in 3 games with the Marlies. Wow. He’s got a cannon from the point, I’d be surprised if other teams don’t start calling on him.

I’m surprised he hasn’t got any game action with the Leafs!

Well anyway’s, maybe Brennan’s strong play could play a factor in the Rielly up/down decision.

8. realistic_leafs_fan says:

I’ll throw a couple trades out there, if and IF the Leafs were to move either Gardiner or Reimer.

SJS

Phil
    Gardiner, Kulimen, Ashton
    Tor
    Coburn, McGinn

Trash away!lol

• mapleleafsfan says:

San Jose won’t do the first. They are very high on Vlasic, and won’t give up valuable assets for a backup goalie.

Can’t pretend to know enough about the CLB trade to value their players, but why does CLB bring in a goalie who wants to be a starter when they have the reigning Vezina winner?

As for the last one, I don’t see a point. Not overly interested in Coburn for that contract, and definitely not at the expense of Gardiner. If Nonis is looking for a top young F for Gardiner, I’d say Nonis assumes he has more value than Coburn IMO. McGinn is also a downgrade on Kulemin.

• reinjosh says:

I don’t really like any but the San Jose one (and I’m sort of meh on that). To me it just seems like we’re desperate to get a RH dman. I think we give up too much in the Philly trade, don’t see Columbus making that trade.

San Jose one I could live with, but I don’t like giving up Gunnar. But that’s just me.

It brings up an interesting question. Do we trade Reimer? He could bring decent value but I wonder if he would be more valuable to us as a 1b guy. With him and Bernier, we can afford to let the defense take it’s time working things out and try and find a cheap deal for a dman to help it, or just wait until Fraser is back. Goalies won’t get tired as we make sure neither has an insane workload.

I’d have no problem going into the playoffs with both. I’m not sure trading Reimer before the offseason will add any more value than keeping him would personally.

I guess I’m at the point where I’d like to wait and see with this team. We’re dealing with a whole bunch of injuries to puck possession players like Kulemin, JVR and Clarkson, and I think once they are back we could start to see defensive improvement. We’re winning right now (I know I know, it’s not exactly been good winning but it’s winning nonetheless), I don’t see much reason to make any panic moves.

• Gambo says:

No way SJ gives up Vlasic, he’s so valuable to them. And they have no need at all for Reimer. The Blue Jackets signed Bobtovsky to a cap hit of 5.6m, he’s their starter and no questions about it. Again, no need for Reimer. And for a guy who’s always talking about the salary cap and how teams need guys with small cap hits to win, i’m surprised you would swap arguably 2 defensemen of the same value for each other when one in return makes 3mil more than the one the leafs are giving up.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

What snide comment? The LOL was meant as go for it, it doesn’t bother me.
        Columbus could use Reimer as much as we could and have an abundance of young promising D, that’s why they make the trade. If they want to make the playoffs, they may need a quality back-up.
        SJS same thing, no quality back-up for a team with a small cup contending window. Considering how you guys all value Gunnar, can’t see how that’s not a good deal for SJS in your minds. You shuld be telling me we gave up too much.
        As for the D reference, we don’t need a Gardiner as much as a Coburn and Kulimen is needed for cap reasons and to get back McGinn who could be another JVR type of winger at a $700,000 cap hit.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

You meant snide to your trades I guess after re-reading. None intended. You said don’t take it seriously and I was trying to show I wasn’t and was asking for your reasoning on your trades. I don’t like them or see a need for most of them. You dish a lot out on mine, but can’t take criticism on yours?

Hey realistic, can you leave the drama for other sites please. We don’t really pull that kind of BS on here anymore. Thank you.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

Drama? Interesting. I was replying to him be “dramatic” towards my post and you point me out and have nothing for Gambo. “And to your snide comment above on my post, this is why people trash your trades. “LOL”” That’s not drama?

• So, Toronto doesn’t need a quality backup but the other choices do? That’s not a great selling point for the other teams. “You guys could use Reimer as much as we could, but we’re shipping him out. Please send us _____ back. ”

I don’t see it happening. The sharks have no reason to do it. Columbus, they would probably be more interested in Gunnar than Reimer.

And the last one is the complete opposite, swinging in philly’s favor rather than the leafs.

And, Gambo, I know you said not to be taken serious, but those trades were brutal, lol.

• Gambo says:

Haha they weren’t supposed to be good trades by any means, just something for fun, but yeah i thought the value wasn’t too far off for the most part. My bad.

How’re you liking AV? Richards is sure looking better with him, but you can’t be too happy with a 2-4 start with him.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

Toronto does of course TGWL. I was assuming because the discussion was made that we could use both that my argument was so could those other teams and not just us would come across. Should have been clearer on that I guess.

• lafleur10 says:

why would the sharks want reimer they have niemi who’s better than reimer doesn’t make sense at all

9. reinjosh says:

I have two questions for everyone.

Do we develop our own stay at home dman? With guys like Nilsson, Loov (both who have been very good in the SHL) or Granberg potentially filling that roll in the future or try and sign/trade for it?

And do we attempt to resign Reimer in the offseason or trade him?

• doorman says:

The first question is easiest to answer based on it depends at how the team is playing near the deadline. If we have cleaned up the sloppy play and are solid team wise defensively, then go with what you have. But if you are still lacking that shutdown kinda guy, you have to at least look and see what is out there and what is the cost.

As for Reimer, well eventually I assume he will be traded. Nonis didn’t bring in his guy to ship him out. Best case is they both play like true quality starters and strengthen an area of weakness from one of strength. Don’t ask me why, lol, but I see a red jersey in his future.

• nordiques100 says:

defence is a team concept. Really hard to find those guys who can change the whole defensive side of the game on his own.

Chara is one, maybe Pronger in his prime, but really that was it in recent times.

Guys like Weber/Suter look great defensively, but the Preds are a tremendous defensive team. Seabrook/Keith are an elite pairing, but it helps having Toews and Hossa and guys like that on your team. players committed to a team concept.

The Leafs obviously have holes back there. Franson, Gardiner, Dion, are not the guys who can play that game.

Fraser can, but in short bursts, not a 20 minute player and he has no skill. Same with Gunnarsson, who isn’t even physical either.

Its a team concept that will help them improve.

i.e doing less of the stretch pass and more of a 5 man breakout, with loads of puck support, this team, with their speed, would be fine.

the leafs turn the puck over ridiculously too much in the neutral zone as they tend to lean towards the high risk and long range passes than keeping it simple.

But with their speed, and a full lineup, i think their puck possession could be as good as Detroit has always been. Thats a good goal for them.

they have the smooth D like Reilly, Gardiner, loads of up front skill and speed. Lots of speed. They have to want to do it. Its a work in progress but hopefully they figure it out.

• nordiques100 says:

its too early to make a choice on either goalie.

I think if they can have this advantage for as long as they can, why not? Nothing wrong with having 2 strong goalie options.

The Canes won with Gerber their no. 1 during the year, but Ward taking over in the playoffs. The Ducks had both Bryz and Giggy, the Wings split duties between Hasek/Osgood before turning to Ozzie in the playoffs. The Hawks rode Crawford, but not before splitting him and Emery the duties. and then there was what, 4 years of Rask/Thomas in Boston?

Its not a bad thing really.

• mapleleafsfan says:

I’m in no rush for a stay at home Dman. I think the need is overrated. We’re still tops in the league in PK, and up there in GA as well. Our issue is our break out and turnovers. A really defensive guy isn’t going to help that a whole lot.

I think Reimer’s going to go eventually. But if the return is what you’d expect ~2nd + prospect, I’d hold him for a playoff push. If Bernier went down and we had to rely on MacIntrye or someone, that’s much worse than having a 2nd who more than likely won’t make the nhl and an average prospect/player.

to mapleleafsfan, I hear what you’re saying, but I also feel that really good stay home blue liner can be the difference in creating a lot of turnovers through solid positioning. You see the way Gunner and Dion have been holding the line this year, it’s caused a good amount of turnovers at centre and our blueline, versus the play of a more aggressive Ranger or Gardiner who give the opposing rush the zone too easily.

Great question, Josh. Ideally it would be great to see a Granberg or Loov (I think he’s a couple more years away, but you never know with those Euro dmen, all the sudden they’re just ready to go) step right in and make a big impact as a shut down dman.

But if we’re in let’s say, 4th-6th at the deadline and a veteran is out there, I would like to see Nonis bite the bullet, move an asset or two and load up. I think this team could make a serious playoff run. If our forwards are all skating and playing our game, we have tons of fire power up front. Offence shouldn’t be much of an issue.

Team defence, as nords pointed out is an ongoing issue. We see it a lot in our end, when we’re trying to start a breakout and our dman gains control of the puck in the corner, or behind the net, and the outlets simply are not there, so we wind up either turning it over, or just chipping it out to their D at centre and we’re back on our heels again.

What we need is more man power in our end. Out manning the opposition in your end is the Carlyle system that we don’t always execute, and I’m sure he’s working on it with the guys. If we did have another stud on the back end, an upgrade on a Ranger or Gardiner (the way he’s playing now), it would definitely make a difference though, if it could buy us more time in our end, win us more battles for loose pucks, etc.

Personally I’m tired of waiting, so it would be nice to see us go after some immediate help. But at the same time, we’re in good shape moving forward with such a young core, that we could afford to wait another year on our prospects, or other options like free agency, if the prices for that dman are too high throughout this season.

started an @nikolaikulemin account for pure Leafs tweets if y’all wanna follow me. I don’t have data, so unless ACC has wifi i won’t be tweeting during tonights game but definitely after, and after most games.

11. Gambo says:

Really gotta feel bad for Reimer. He just can’t catch a break. Not to be overdramatic, but if it’s a concussion it could be career altering. He’s such a good guy, golfed with him twice before and i can’t say enough positive things about him. Hope he’ll be okay!

12. toronto77 says:

What a cheap game winning goal by the hurricanes!!!

Bullshit goals like that should be disallowed!!! no justice, but maybe fitting depending on how the leafs have played, such a high skilled speedy team and we cannot make any tape to tape passes.

I still wish we would have won this game because we are going to get spanked in our next 2 to Chicago and Anaheim.

If you gotta be good to be lucky, you gotta be bad to be unlucky. We were bad. Hate that goal, but we deserved to lose.

Sucks. Nice to see a good guy like Leivo with a bit of finish. We’ll be better off when we can get Kulemin back on that line with Bolland and McClement, but Leivo has at least shown that in the future he’s probably going to be a real NHL’er for us.

• Gambo says:

I think the biggest issue is getting Clarkson in to replace Broll. Nothing against the big guy, just isn’t capable to keep up with Kadri and Lupul right now. He has a solid compete level, but maybe swapping him and Ashton would be a good idea for now.

13. mapleleafsfan says:

That was a big waste. Bernier was bad. Hope Reimer’s not too hurt. How we don’t keep more pressure on that pathetic D line is beyond me. Also, don’t know who else streamed a US stream but holy homer that Canes announcer. He was non-stop about faulk the whole night (who is really solid, but still).

14. razer1818 says:

Raymond…Bolland…Leivo
    Orr…McClement…Mclaren

Phaneuf…Stralman
    Franson…Fraser
    Gunnerson…Gardiner
    Ranger

Rielly goes back to Jr. one more year and we dont resign Ranger or Fraser next year as both are UFA

• leafs_wallace93 says:

No thank you

• mapleleafsfan says:

Why trade Kadri for Richards when they produce at almost the same rate with Kadri getting fewer minutes, and Kadri is 10 years younger. 10! Kulemin is >> than Moore. Stralman is serviceable but not at the expense of the others.

Kadri > Richards (not right now, but in value)
      Kulemin > Moore
      Liles + 2nd < Stralman (I guess, but this is sort of irrelevant)

Richards contract really, really sucks man. I'd rather Kadri continue to improve and earn less than half what Richards does.

15. leafy says:

With Morgan Rielly’s 10th game coming up, if the Leafs do intend to keep him around, they probably need to clear some salary in the next 7 days. But whom?!?!?

• Gambo says:

That’s a good question. And which defenseman sits when Fraser comes back? If it’s going to be Rielly sitting most nights then i’d say send him down, but he’s playing too well to sit or send down. Phaneuf and Gunnarsson aren’t going anywhere, Ranger has a NTC, so they wont be moved. Maybe if management thinks that they wont be able to sign Franson in the offseason he might be moved, but he’s a pretty important piece right now. Maybe they feel that Gardiner is redundant with Rielly and Fraser’s physical play and defensive game is more important. Maybe even Likes can be moved to clear some space.

There are a lot of factors and it’s definitely going to be a tough decision for them to make.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

Agree with that Gambo except for Franson moving and Gunnar not likely to move. Franson is huge value at his cap hit and if the Leafs move him they could only really add a $2mil player back which is likely no help. Franson is our top point producing D and our only real RHD. Moving him would be a bad move and I doubt the Leafs move him.
        Leafs want to move Liles obviously, but I think it would be between Gardiner + and Gunnar if they can’t move Liles and ended up moving someone else from D.
        It’s hard to tell what the Leafs really are because of injuries/suspensions so far, but when I break it down, I see this.
        Excellent goaltending tandem
        Excellent and deep set of wingers
        Slightly above average at centre
        Non-gelling D core.

The major need I see is a top 4 true RHD that plays with an edge. He doesn’t have to be huge, but solid defensively, tough to play against and can log 20 minutes. Unfortunately that type of player will be a $3.5 cap hit or higher likely and would require giving up a valuable piece(s) plus make cap room. That spells Gunnar or Gardiner +(ie Kulimen or other cap it) to acquire IMO. I would like to keep both those guys, but I’m not sure both will be here by end of season.
        I also don’t expect anything to happen til after about 20 games at the least unless we head into a bad slide.

• leafy says:

Gunnar is actually playing so well this year, he could fetch a pretty good return. But that would leave a hole on the blueline. Agreed Franson is a definite keeper.

Gardiner is actually killing the Leafs right now, but I don’t care. I’d rather be patient with him. I really like Nonis’ philosophy. He said he doesn’t believe in trading talented young defensemen. Good for him.

Ya Gardiner and Ranger are so sporadic back there. But might as well keep playing them.

Maybe we should think long term and just send Morgan Rielly down. I look at Tyler Myers, Luke Schenn, Cam Fowler, lots of young Dmen have burst into the league as teenagers in the last few years and then regressed after a good rookie season. It’s easy to ruin a young Dman and not get him back on track. I think there could be a ton of pressure on Rielly here, and that we should not throw him to the wolves.

We will be slightly worse on the back end, but we’re less likely to win a Cup this year then we are next, or the year after. I think its the sensible thing to do.