Latest Rumors from around the League…
Here are the latest rumors from around the league…All of the rumors below have been reported on CBS.SportsLine.com:
1. Ducks GM is saying that he hasn’t decided yet whether his team will be a buyer or seller come trade deadline. The Mighty Ducks have shown a lot of improvements the past few weeks. “I’m going to wait a week before deciding,” he told the Los Angeles Times. “I don’t think I will trade the core players we have, but if someone offers me two real good prospects, I’ll listen.”
2. Even thought his team has fallen out of the playoff race, Thrashers GM Don Waddell has said that he would like to make a trade by March 9 trade deadline. “We’re still in the market to add something that would help us not for the rest of this year, but for next year,” he told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
3. The Ottawa Sun is reporting that because several players of the Bruins will become unrestricted free agents at the end of the year, the Bruins would like to trade away some of them. One rumor reported on the Sun saw the Bruins sending C Brian Rolston to Dallas for C Jason Arnott.
4. The Chicago Daily Herald is reporting that as many as 13 scouts attended the Blackhawk’s game on Sunday against Boston on Sunday. The most attractive player on this team remains to be Alexie Zhamnov. Detroit, Vancouver and New Jersey are thought to be most interested in the Russian star.
5. According to the Ottawa Sun, The Wings would like to sign star defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom to a long term contract. Lidstrom, who is making $10 million this season, becomes a free agent at the end of the year.
6. Florida is looking to add a top blue liner and a faceoff specialist. The Panthers have Viktor Kozlov and Kristian Huselius to dangle as trade baits.
7. The New York Post is reporting that the Devils are interested in Anaheim’s Steve Rucchin, Calgary’s Craig Conroy, Carolina’s Rod Brind’Amour and Chicago’s Alex Zhamnov. The Devils will likely not trade top pick Zach Parise, but might trade David Hale, Brian Gionta or Mike Rupp.
8. The New York Times is reporting that with the Rangers presumably out of the playoffs, New York GM Glen Sather would like to move RW Alexei Kovalev and defenseman Brian Leetch. Other reports suggest that Matthew Barnaby and Chris Simon could be shopped as well.
9. The Canucks remain to be interested in Chicago center Alexei Zhamnov and Sabres defenseman Alexei Zhitnik. GM Burke is apparently dangling Jason King, Fedor Fedorov, and R.J. Umberger.