Latest Rumors from around the League…
Here are the latest rumors that are circulating around the league…All of these rumors have been reported on CBS.SportsLine.com:
– The Toronto Star has reported that Sabers owner Tom Golisano has been so impressed with his team’s play lately that he is ready to approve a pursuit of Washington defenseman Sergei Gonchar. Gonchar is currently injured, but is expected to return on Feb. 12. Other teams interested are the Leafs, Avs, Rangers, and Boston.
– The Calgary Sun has reported that the Flames are working on a deal that would send Denis Gauthier to the Habs for either Yanic Perreault or Niklas Sundstrom. Perreault has been on the market for a long time. This trade would help both teams. The Flames have been looking to add some help to star right winger Jerome Igilna. Montreal are looking to add some depth at defense and a second line center.
– The Blue Jackets are apparently looking to unload defenseman Luke Richardson. Richardson’s value has gone up as so many teams are looking to add a defenseman. The Rangers, Flyers and Panthers have showed interest in the veteran blue-liner. The Blue jackets have already traded former Star Darryl Sydor to Tampa.
– After seeing his team turn their season around, GM Doug Armstrong said that his team will be a buyer. They are looking to add a tough big forward and a left-handed shooting defenseman.
– The New York Post has reported that the Devils have offered left winger Jeff Friesen for Hurricanes center Rod Brind’Amour. The Devils are trying to obtain a scorer, while the Canes are looking to dump some salary. The Canes’ Jeff O’Neill and Ron Francis are also on the market.
– With both Esche and Hacket on the injured list, Flyers GM Bob Clarke is seriously shopping for a goaltender. Clarke has apparently targeted Olaf Kolzig of Washington, Phoenix’s Sean Burke, Lightning’s Nikolai Khabibulin, Sabers’ Martin Biron, and Minnesota’s Manny Fernandez.
– Phoenix GM Mike Barnett has shopped goalie Sean Burke around. He wants a young prospect in return. According to the Ottawa Sun, the Rangers have offered Jamie Lundmark, while the Stars have also called in as they are looking to add a back up goaltender behind Marty Turco.
– Many sources in St. Louis have indicated that the Blue are in serious talks with the Hurricanes about 27-year old center/right winger Jeff O’Neill.
– The Canucks are believed to be the front-runners in the Alex Zhamnov sweep stakes. Several reports have said that the deal would go down during the 7 day All-Star break. Things got hot when Zhamnov caught a flight to Florida right after the Hawks game with the Leafs. Maybe it will be my last game,” Zhamnov told the Chicago Sun-times. “My focus has been on just playing and trying to do my best. Then we’ll see what’s going to happen.” The Canucks have reportedly offered Fedor Fedorov or R.J. Umberger.
– The Bondra sweep stakes are getting even hotter. The Devils and Senators continue to pursue the star forward. The Senators have apparently offered young center Antoine Vermette and defenseman Brian Pothier, while the Caps are interested in Devils’ defenseman David Hale.