Latest Rumors from around the League…
Here are the latest rumors that are circling around the league….
All of these rumors have been reported on CBS.SportsLine.com.
1. Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford has made it clear that he will be moving players come trade deadline. Players on the block are Jeff O’Neill, Ron Francis, and Rod Brind’Amour. Toronto has showed a lot of interest in O’Neill, but the Canes are asking for Matt Stajen. Toronto aren’t willing to give up their best prospect. Atlanta has also shown interest in O’Neill.
2. Atlanta are also interested in Chicago center Alexei Zhamnov. Zhamnov will greatly boost Atlanta’s chances in making the playoffs, but don’t expect him to contribute a lot after that. Detroit has also shown interest.
3. The Ottawa Sun is reporting that the Red Wings are considering former Canes coach Paul Maurice and current Leafs’ Coach Pat Quinn as possible runners for the Wing’s coaching job should the Wings get knocked off early this spring.
4. The Florida Panther are one of many teams interested in ex-Leaf and former NHLer Dmitri Yushkevich, who is currently playing in Russia. Boston, Phoenix and the Rangers have also shown interest. Yushkevich has been known for his tough and gritty play. He also has a lot of playoff experience. The team that acquires him has to put him through waivers first.
5. The Ranger could offer RW Kovalev for Tampa’s G Nikolai Khabibulin. The Flyers and Vancouver are also interested.
6. Coyotes forwards Mike Sillinger, Chris Gratton, and Tyson Nash are all on the market.
7. The ‘Nucks are also interested in center Andrew Cassels. Cassels was formerly a Canuck, but signed with Columbus two years ago as a free agent.
8. Toronto, Boston, Philadelphia and the Rangers are all interested in D-man Sergie Gonchar of the Capitals. His injury will likely mean that he will not be traded soon. No team is willing to take a chance on an injured defenseman.
9. Tommy Salo of the Oilers remains on the block, even though he has been playing well lately.
Like I have stated before, all of these rumors are based on an article posted on CBS.SportsLine.com.