Leaf Fan Plans to Protest

According to The Fan590, and Sports Reporter Ken Campbell, Leaf fan Joey Hatfield is planning a protest outside of the ACC, on the west side of York Street on Bremner Blvd. The protest will take place Wednesday, 4pm.Joey Hatfield compares the Maple Leafs to the worthless brother-in-law who keeps borrowing money and never pays it back. And she’s mad as hell and she’s not going to take it anymore. The reasons for the protest are the fact that the Leafs havnt been doing enough to sign free agents, although they have signed Bryan Marchment earlier today, and with the extra 4mil the Leafs are gonna get when Svehla is let go, they might be signing more. It is also because they Leafs continue to rise the ticket prices, and the biggest reason of all, the Leafs havnt won the Stanley Cup in 36 years.

“It’s almost like they want to shut the whole thing down for the next year because of the lockout,” said Hatfield, who will make the five-hour drive to Toronto with a car full of friends. “I think people are sick and tired of waiting for them to do something. There are guys who want to play in Toronto and are willing to take pay cuts and sign one-year contracts and they still won’t sign them.”

The protest all came about the Maple Leafs website actually. Joey and a few other Leaf fans were on the Leafs interactive section of the site, and started to complain about the Leafs. Thats where the protest came about. A message concerning the protest was posted on the site yesterday and Hatfield said she has posted it on a number of other Yahoo! group sites and had received more than 100 responses back the first day.

If the Leafs make a major trade or make a blockbuster signing, well they would look like fools protesting the Leafs. If that happens, then… “Then we’ll turn it into a party,” she said.

This is one commited Leaf fan too, first of all shes from Cleveland, CLEVELAND. Yes the hockey hotbed of Cleveland. She has to take a 5 hour drive just to get to Toronto. She owns lots of Leaf merchandise. From Jerseys, to flags, even her mousepad is a Leaf mouspad. The protest is going to be a peaceful protest. People are going to come with the Leaf Jerseys and with signs. Joey doesnt know how many people will show up, but she doesnt care. Even if there is only 50 people there, it will be a success. She also is eager to meet with the other Leaf fans she met on the Leafs interactive section of the site, and the people that emailed her.

Anyone on HTR planning to go? Do you think this might force the Leafs to make a big trade, or make a big signing?

Go Leafs Go

95 Responses to Leaf Fan Plans to Protest

1. leafs2003champs says:

GOOD FOR HER!!!!!! IF this protest causes the Leafs to sign a guy like fedz or Leetch which they DO have the money for I will be the happiest SON OF A BITCH ALIVE

2. DG says:

That language isn’t allowed here.

RealityCheck (A.K.A. DG, Vice-Admin)

3. cwthrash says:

Is this real? Or some kind of alternate reality thing?

I realize that this protest idea may not represent all Leaf fans, but it does shed a bit more light as to why I hear the things I do from Leaf enthusiasts. I’m a tad taken aback by this, almost at a loss for words. But if you in all sincerity believe this protest could work, please contact me. I have several business propositions I’d be happy to discuss with you.

Just as an aside, Cleveland to Toronto isn’t that big a trip in light of what another fan did earlier this year. A young man named Marcio from Brazil made the trip all the way to Atlanta to take in a five-game Thrashers homestand. I’m just sorry I wasn’t able to go to a game and meet him. Now that’s what I call a long-distance fan.

4. Goldenscud says:

The Leafs are business – no woman from Cleveland or anyone else is going to make the team change their policy. See, no matter what the team does, ignorant, clueless Leaf fans will still fill the ACC. So missy, save your gas money and find something better to do with your time.

5. DG says:

Brazil? Now that’s what I call dedication…

Was it his first time watching the Atlanta Thrashers?

RealityCheck

6. Goldenscud says:

I think that punk needs a lesson – suspend his A$$, ummm, I mean butt.

7. Goldenscud says:

I am going to protest the Leafs too – but not for the same reasons.

8. cwthrash says:

I believe it was.

He had been posting on the message board at the Thrashers official site for quite a while before that. Saying he caught as many games as he could on radio via the internet. I imagine hockey doesn’t get televised in Rio (his home town) very often. Every sports story there consists of soccer which actually wouldn’t be that bad, at least for someone like me.

He actually got mentioned in an article on nhl.com or espn.com a few months back. Reaffirms my belief that even in warm weather country where another sport dominates the headlines, hockey can catch the fancy of a sports fan.

9. DG says:

Interesting. Though I’m wondering how he got into hockey with all the talk there being about soccer.

Kind of mirrors a story out of Britain, where apparently some British men did a TV show discussing hockey.

RealityCheck

10. DG says:

Making a joke (at least like that) about it isn’t allowed either.

RealityCheck (A.K.A. DG, Vice-Admin)

11. leafs2003champs says:

ok I was unaware I will be more careful next time but you get the point

12. cwthrash says:

I wondered that myself. At one time or another on that message board, I’m sure he mentioned how he got interested in hockey but I missed it. A friend or relative living abroad is probably a good guess, but it’s hard to tell.

Interesting that you mentioned the British (who hold futbol in the same regard as South Americans). I got a big kick out of it when I found sites on the internet dedicated to hockey leagues in England, Ireland and Scotland.

Kinda eerie to think about the sporting sensibilities between North America and the British Isles. We can seem so different, but there is so much in common. At least in the mixing of certain sports. Soccer, hockey, hurling, lacrosse, curling, rugby.

Otherwise known as “Deep Thoughts”.

13. Brinker says:

Oh Jesus Christ!! This is it, the apocalypse is upon us!!!! Repent all ye hockey sinners!!!!!! A woman from Cleveland is protesting the Maple Leafs offseason inactivity? Thank god she’s not a Bruins fan, we have enough whiney protesters here in Boston. If she were she’d probably try to burn down the Fleetcenter. She’s protesting the Leafs not winning for 36 years and only signing Marchment this offseason? What a crock of shit. Like I said before, I’ll cry you a river. Leafs not doing anything? You signed a solid d-man, you traded for Owen Nolan last season, you have a top flight center (albeit cheapshot artist, one of many you have) in Mats Sundin, good goaltending in Belfour but you’re still not happy? Try being a Bruins fan for a DAY. ONE DAY!! You’ll shoot yourself. No Goaltending, one and a half lines, rickety defense and an owner who is Satan himself (and I don’t mean Miroslav), not to mention a retard for a general manager. I’m willing to bet this psycho bitch speaks for a good number of you “true blue” Leafs’ fans doesn’t she? Give me a break. she should keep her ass in Cleveland and worry about the Indians and her drinking water. And you Leaf fans should thank your stars you live in a place where hockey means something and you’re in a lot better situation than those of us in hockey limbo like here in Boston.

14. Bishop7979 says:

What is it about the Toronto Maple leafs that turn people into raving lunatics? Does Quinns head like pop up during intermissions with spirals where his eyes should be and put people into so sort of trance in which they lose all sence of reality? I love hockey as much as the next guy, but a protest? This isnt civil rights people, its a freakin organized sport. It’s a game for gods sake!

At least the leafs have made the playoffs the last couple years. SO they havent won a cup since 1967 (thats right, right?), so what, only one team can win it each year, and the team that did this year didnt go out and spend 12 mil for federov and 6 for leetch.

When are hockey fans in general going to get their heads out of their (censored) and realize that throwing money at 30+ year old free agents isnt the way to win a championship. Someone please take this woman out in the street and beat her with a bag of doornobs, maybe knock some sense into her. Because there are many, many, many more ills of this world that could use the attention of a protest then what the Toronto maple leafs will or will not do with an extra 4 million dollars.

15. Yashin says:

I could not agree more. Sadly Leaf fans think they are owed something more then everyother hockey fan in the NHL.

16. flyersdude123 says:

If this doesn’t prove how retarded Leaf fans are, I dunno what can. It’s a freaking game of hockey. There are plenty more important issues in life right now.

I thought people protesting the War against Iraq were dumb and they’re just wasting their time b/c it’s not like Bush will change his mind. But if you go out and protest that your sports team is doing bad, YOU HAVE NO F$CKING LIFE!!!! None whatsoever!

If I drive by and I ever see someone protesting that their sports team sucks, I’ll roll down the window of my car and laugh at them.

This incident is a disgrace, it just disgusts me how many stupid people there really are. Sure I love hockey, but to go and protest it, that is just dumb.

Leaf fans are definetly the “icon of stupidity” in the world of hockey. I’ve been saying that for a while now, this only justifies my theory, thanks!

17. flyersdude123 says:

Leaf fans are a disgrace to hockey. I hope they don’t make the playoffs next year; then they’ll really have something to complain about!

18. Sane04 says:

It shows how much Leaf fans are comitted idiot. Go eat a greasy ass philly cheese steak. Watch out for calories 😉

19. titans says:

NOWS OUR CHANCE PEOPLE!! THEIR ALL GATHERED INTO ONE AREA!!!

NAPALM EM!!!

20. Pokecheck89 says:

Wow, people on the Leafs chat were quite supportive of her, this is a change. I hope she doesnt come to this site.

21. zoo_rosario says:

I so want to go down there. Any hockey fan in the world or possably some hockey fans and than mostly Leafs can see that the Toronto management doesen’t care about winning, and nither do the ” prestigious” owners the Ontario teachers pention plan and Larry Tanenbaum, possabley Tanenbaum does but he’s not the majority owner so that doesent help even he he does want to win. They deffinently overpaid for Marchment whitch somebody posted on the atricle witch reported the signing that possably other teams were in the running. But if Marchment really wanted to play in T.O. he could have taken less. But to top it all off every year they raise their ticket prices as they put it as a ” small increase”. To shif focus now since since the Ontario teachers pention plan and Larry Tanenbaum own the Raptors also why should one team (Leafs) be more imprtant than another team (Raps) could this mean the Raps are going to turn into the Detroit Tigers of Basketball. I hope not. Go Leafs Go!!!

22. Motherpucker says:

This is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard of. If these people actually have time to protest about hockey at 4pm on a Wednesday, they don’t have much going for them in life. For those who do end up going, look for Leaf Expert to be waving a large rainbow flag attempting to turn the whole thing into a gay pride parade.

And for the lady from the hockey hotbed of Cleveland, a little quote from Jimmy Kimmel to Drew Carey…”Cleveland does not rock, Cleveland sucks. Your football uniforms are the color of shit.”

23. Motherpucker says:

Start rooting for minor league teams to ease the pain…

Go Gulls!

24. Goldenscud says:

dude, you need to lighten up – leaf2003champs is my boy – I was just playing with him. It is funny how you let Leaf_expert get away with threatening people and using the F word.

25. flyersdude123 says:

Committed to what? being stupid? Yea I can see that by looking at you. I guess you’re another one of those retarded Leaf fans, committed to stupidity. Nothing wrong w/ a philly cheesesteak, don’t be playa hating, jealous mofo.

26. flyersdude123 says:

omg! that was hilarious! great joke titans!

27. flyersdude123 says:

HAHAHAHA!!!! Always fun to add a little something about Leaf_Expert when you have the chance!

28. flyerfanofthepeg says:

naw, give em all SARS

29. Sane04 says:

First, I’m not a Leaf fan. Also, if a Leaf fan from Cleveland is coming to Toronto to voice her opinion to the organization to better the team… that’s committment. She is commiited to the team.

How the hell “can you see that by looking at [me]?”

You can’t see me faggot. You make no sense. Probably because you’re American. That’s cool. American’s are stupid. You must be fat too. American’s like to eat fat food. High caliories are bad by the way. “Don’t be playa hating, jealous mofo?” Like I said… American’s are stupid. Have a nice day.

30. Rotty says:

I agree with Sane04, you truly are a moron!

this coming from a Philly Fan, the poster boys for stupidity!!

remember that fat ass that got his ass whooped after falling into the penalty box with Domi?

speaking of people with NO life, how often do you post in here anyways?

31. Rotty says:

OMG you are a faggot, now suck my balls!

32. titans says:

Too late, already happened!

33. leafs2003champs says:

yes goldenscund it is and I sent him a pm about that If he sends it back I will most likely get some sorry excuse as to why when I slip up ONCE I get cracked down on but when LE uses langue MUCH WORSE THEN THAT he gets away in case you dont know LE = short form for LEAF EXPERT

34. Goldenscud says:

yeah, it is a joke. Hopefully, you will get fair treatment. Besides, what you wrote wasn’t insulting to anyone. That is why I stick with WOW – they are much cooler

35. mattdude says:

This is the dumbest thing i have seen in my life. There is a reason that the people up in front office are there because they know they’re doing. I don’t see here up in front office.

Also there are plenty of other teams with quite a bit of money but they don’t have idiots protesting. i hope nobody shows up this is very dumb.

Shows how loyal you are to your team. They just signed marchmant and are in a bidding war for leetch. They can’t sign every fucking free agent out there you assholes

36. Bishop7979 says:

“Sadly Leaf fans think they are owed something more then everyother hockey fan in the NHL.”

Thats exactly it! I dont remember the last time a single sentense was posted on this site that made so much sense.

There is this pompus, self important, pretensious, arrogance that comes with being a leaf fan that is an insult to the oragnization they claim to rout for.

37. amok says:

I really appreciate the job you admins do with the site, but it seems that any time someone goes on a profanity ridden tirade they don’t get a warning, and then someone who says one thing not directed at anyone gets a warning. You guys have gotta make a policy and stick to it.

38. amok says:

Relax and learn how to take a joke.

39. amok says:

In an attempt to appease the angry masses, Pat Quinn (or whoever the hell is running the show there now – probably Harold Ballard’s dark soul reincarnated into a six-year-old boy named Damian) will promise two major signings within 24 hours. The following day he will announce that Jonas Hoglund and Jyrki Lumme have been brought back and given 3 year $9million contracts.

Leaf fans can then sleep contentedly knowing that these two stalwarts will surely bring in a bonanza of talent at the trading deadline.

Seriously though, that’s an interesting idea by the Leafs fan. She bought her 15 minutes of fame rather cheaply.

40. leafs2003champs says:

and what I wrote is 100% ture if the protest does force the Leafs to sign a guy like fedz there will be

ALOT of happy leaf fans

41. leafs2003champs says:

I would not mind if someone who goes off his head gets cracked down on as well but that doesnt happen what I said was not an insult to anyone and it was also true

42. KingLX says:

She may very well be a Leaf fan. But where is she from? The United States of America.

Obviously all the lunatics are not Leafs fans. All the lunatics and crazy people are AMERICANS.

Go Leafs Go!

43. Goldenscud says:

Americans are stupid, eh dick? Well, if we are so stupid, why do we keep taking your teams away from you? Who do you think is going to protect your sorry asses if someone decides to invade your precious land? I can say all this becuase I am an American (even though my mom is Canadian).

44. flyersdude123 says:

Canadians are freakin’ morons, there’s no point explaining this to them b/c they don’t understand squat. Canadians suck, booing the American National Anthem shows how classless they really are. Hahaha, “Canadians” oh man! that word cracks me up. F$ck Canada! Dirty Dirty Dirty!

45. Goldenscud says:

yeah!!! Let’s invade and enslave the leafs!!! We haven’t gotten a new state in awhile so I say the time is ripe

Look at them – they get hard ons cause they signed Marchment – not only does he suck, but he is one ugly MF!

46. flyersdude123 says:

Hahaha, everyone quick, claim your slaves!!!

Rotty is my slave! Damn Canadians!

47. amok says:

Yeah… personally I have no problem with it but if the admins want this to be a profanity free site that’s up to them. I just think that it shouldn’t be completely random who gets chastised, especially when the people that swear a lot more rarely seem to get warnings (in the forum anyway, maybe they get private messages).

48. flyersdude123 says:

Leave the sucking of your balls to your dirty Canadian mother.

49. leafs2003champs says:

well whatever it dont stop them so It wont stop me

50. Tradedude says:

Why do this, this won’t convince Fat Chinn to do anything.

oh well, ill be there lol, when is this again?