The Leafs, Bruins, Rangers and Penguins have all had talks about O’Reilly

The 22-year-old O’Reilly, the last restricted free agent who remains unsigned, is demanding more than $3.5 million than Matt Duchene is making with the Avs. It should be noted O’Reilly made $900,000 last year on an entry-level deal.

O’Reilly 18 goals and 37 assists for 55 points in 81 games last season. With centre Jason Spezza gone until at least the start of the playoffs after back surgery, the Sens could use that point production.

But if the Senators are going to make a deal for O’Reilly, Murray would be required to give up more than he’s prepared to give. The Avs are looking for a roster player who can help right now, a prospect and a draft pick.

Expect O’Reilly to land somewhere as the Avs try to clear up this sour relationship. The Leafs, Bruins, Rangers and Penguins have all held talks with Sherman, who would like to send him to an eastern conference team.

66 Responses to The Leafs, Bruins, Rangers and Penguins have all had talks about O’Reilly

1. realistic_leafs_fan says:

Players the Leafs would like to trade is likely not what the Av’s are looking for. Why not try and hit them with quantity like the Phaneuf trade.
    To Colorado
    MacArthur, Bozak, Percy, 2013 2nd
    To Leafs
    O’Reilly

Colorado has almost all their players signed through next year, so even though MacA and Bozak are UFA, Colorado should be able to re-sign them. We need to move a centre to make a trade for O’Reiily work and all the other parts (Mac, Percy 2nd) are expendable with the depth in the system.
    If they want 1 roster player that can help now plus a prospect and pick…we offer 2 roster players that can help now, a prospect and a pick.

• LN91 says:

No, just no. Leaf fans need to stop including a 2nd round pick…You will not get a major player for a second. EVER.

Please think logically.

EVER? Really.
        There was no picks in the Phaneuf deal given. More recent…Nash was had for 2 roster players a prospect and a late 1st(please tell me you are not comparing O’Reilly’s value to Nash). James Neal and Niskanen for Goligoski. There was also no first round pick in the Zidlicky trade.
        It is not a 2nd for O’Reilly being given. It is 2 roster players(quality 2nd or at worst great third liners) a quality defence prospect(former 1st round pick) and a second round pick in this year’s draft. That is almost as much as Columbus got for Nash.
        Colorado has not claimed it has to be a 1st round pick.(they know they won’t get it)
        O’Reilly is a 21 year old hold-out, two-way centre with good upside who wants a huge payday. He is not projected as a franchise player. O’Reilly was not even a top draft pick…he was a second rounder himself. He has had 1 really good year. He doesn’t have the value of a Jordan Staal yet and shouldn’t be treated like he does.

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

A nice deal but I don’t know if we should just give up that many decent pieces for a small upgrade on Bozak. While I admit O’Reilly can still develop into a slightly lesser version of Toews (much greater than Bozak) I would never give up a 1st (or former 1st) for such a small chance.

Switch Percy to Mikus and add a conditional 2014 pick (Bozak/MacA re-signs) and I would gladly take a shot on O’Reilly. Colorado would never do it but that is my limit personally.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

My thinking SL is that if we had O’Reilly, Bozak and MacArhtur are not going to be re-signed anyway. Percy is behind Gardiner and Reilly on the depth chart. With O’Reilly on the Leafs, the 2nd pick is probably 40+. We are giving them quality, but not many pieces we were going to keep anyway.

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

definitely agree with that but adding Percy to the deal IMO is too much. He can be used in another deal to upgrade another position.

I don’t mind going after O’Reilly and I agree that Bozak will most likely not be a Leaf in that case (unless somehow we move Grabo) but trading 2 NHLers whose offensive production is higher than O’Reilly with a 1st(Percy) and a 2nd is too much IMO.

That is just me though, I’m sure others would love to do this.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

What about Blacker instead? Is Colorado still interested though?

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

Interesting, only thing that is a shame is that Blacker is a Toronto born player, that kind of hurts. I wouldn’t do it but only because the unknown factor with O’Reilly especially considering he will be making close to the same as Grabo.

Oh well, they are reporting that Colorado doesn’t want a center back anyway. 😛

• BoyanVXAntonov says:

If the Leafs trade MacArthur or Bozak the way they’re playing now, that organization is the epitome of retardation.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

LOL. Thanks for the input.
        Wouldn’t the epitome of retardation for an oranization be signing Redden and letting Chara walk? Just asking.lol
        Since you like them so much, I will do you a favour and give you Bozak for Spezza. I know, I know, it’s a huge gift, but we are willing to look stupid and make the sacrafice.

2. mapleleafsfan says:

Why on earth would the Penguins be in on this.. They’re gonna drop Sutter to the fourth line?

As for trading Bozak, I think Colorado would have an easy time resigning him. He was at University of Denver in the NCAA and spends his off seasons training in Denver too. I don’t think the UFA thing would decrease his value to them a whole lot.

3. LN91 says:

Mike Ullmer wants Carlyle to move JVR to center and make a Lupul-JVR-Kessel line.

• leafmeister says:

They would miss Bozak’s faceoff prowess, but I am not against it. JVR’s net presence and big body would do wonders for Kessel and Lupul.

With everyone back the team looks significantly better.

Lupul – JVR – Kessel
      MacArthur – Kadri – Frattin
      Komarov – Grabovski – Kulemin
      Brown – McClement – Orr

Phaneuf – Gardiner
      Franson – Fraser
      Kostka – Liles
      Holzer

Reimer
      Scrivins

Doesn’t look like anything special on paper, but those top 2 lines have shown an ability to produce this year.

• leafmeister says:

Oops forgot Bozak. Not really sure where he would fit on on that team though. He has to be a center, or at least take the draws, or else we would be wasting our top faceoff man.

• LN91 says:

Why bench Holzer? I’ve loved him with Phaneuf. He is mean, mobile,and estroys everything around the net. Our PK has been better with him in. Anything, I would get rid of Kostka, Liles or Gunnarsson.

• leafmeister says:

With the logjam on D none of those guys (hold for Phaneuf, Franson and Gardiner when he regains his form) are gonna hold a spot all year. If this team has a tough stretch Komisarek and Liles are bound to get a look.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

JVR should be left on the wing. When the other guys come back. We are very weak on the wing without JVR there.

JVR Bozak Kessel
        Lupul Grabo Kulimen
        Komarov Kadri Frattin
        McLaren McClement Orr
        Ex-MacArthur, Brown

Grabo and kulimen were very good with JVR. No offense to MacArthur or Komarov but they just aren’t cutting it. Lupul would upgrade that line and get Grabo/Kuli going. MacArthur is the extra that can play anywhere if needed.

• leafmeister says:

I think MacArthur is as good as his linemates are playing. He knows how to get open, but creates little offense on his own. When Grabo and Kule were putting up 60 points, so did he. When they slow down, he slows down. He is really feeding of Kadri now; who is finally producing. (hallelujah{fuck you Wilson]) It is not necessarily a bad thing, although its hard to imagine him cracking the top 6 on a really good team.

Frankly I love Komarov. The guy hits like a truck and gets under opponents skin. He hasn’t shown much in the way of offense, but I’d bet with a few years under his belt he could put up Matt Cooke like numbers.

I’ve been dying to see JVR at centre, but everyone seems to think its a bad idea. This is a big guy who can skate. From what I’ve seen his strength’s could transfer really well into the centre position.

I would at least give him a try there for a game or two, see how he feels.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

Last summer(pre-lockout) I suggested the same line Ulmer is suggesting and really wanted Carlysle to try it at the start of the season. Now, after seeing JVR on the wing and what he brings there, I hope he stays there because we lack size and speed on the wings more than a need for an upgrade on Bozak. I think he would be ok there, but better suited for the wing.IMO

4. LN91 says:

I actually feel bad for Grabovski because he has become our shutdown line, all of his shifts start in our own end. Hard to generate any offence from that. I still hate his contract, he should have been paid between 4.5 and 5 million.

Anyways, the reason for this is simple. The Bozak line is used primarily for offence and so is Kadri’s line…Because Kadri, probably because of his inexperience, is maybe one of the worst players in the faceoff circle this year. He should get better over time.

5. leafy says:

Even if Grabovski’s line is a shut down line, they still need to chip in somewhat offensively.

Leaf fans of the past will remember the Zezel-Osbourne-Berg line. They were a great shut down line, but they were also an offensive threat.

6. BoyanVXAntonov says:

Come to the Sens. Rest of the teams don’t need him…

7. toronto77 says:

Is Phaneuf not the most lowest skater in the league???

Twice at the end of the third he was about to lose a foot race for the puck until his defensive partner bailed him out. Phaneuf should be a 3rd or 4th dman, not top 2. When your best dman struggles to keep up with the speed of the rest of his line mates and getting that much ice time REALLY hurts the team. 4th goal was all his fault.

I wouldn’t mind giving up Bozak and Percy for ROR though!

8. leafs_wallace93 says:

Leafs lost, trade Kessel! Trade Phaneuf! Rebuild already!

LOL
      In fairness to T77, he has stated many times his dislike for Phaneuf and he did have a really bad game defensively last night. Although, besides last night, I have really liked Phaneuf’s game during the prior 4 or 5 games.

• leafs_wallace93 says:

Phaneuf has never had a good game as a Leaf, ever, at least from everything I’ve read. It’s a wonder he’s not on the Marlies yet.

My shot was at Tank Nation in general, the way the East goes this days is make a push when you have a good year because you could be a bottom feeder the next. It’s either Buffalo, Ottawa, the Habs or maybe our turn this season. I don’t see this season as a rebuilding year, acting that way is going against the grain of how we’re playing.

Next season could very well be a different story.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

I think it more comes down to expectations LW93.
          Named captain, makes $6.5 mil a year, tons of skill and has had a couple good seasons at the start of his pro career after having a dominating junior career.
          Another Scott Stevens was projected basically. His play does not warrant $6.5 mil (IMO) but that does not mean he is not a very good defenceman.
          About 7-8 games ago I posted the main concerns of Phaneuf as I see it. Ironically, the next game…he kept his shot down and scored, he played a little more loose and rushed the puck and threw a few big hits, he played with more intensity…he played a balanced game.
          Phaneuf has had trouble finding the right balance in his game without being a little too much “this” and then not enough “that”.
          Except last night, the past 5-6 games he has been doing that and I hope he keeps it up. That said, I see him as a $5-$5.75 mil a year D-man and if he wants more, I would rather trade him and get some good players for him. No knock against Phaneuf, but that’s his value to me even if he can continue to play a balanced game.

• leafmeister says:

I agree that Phaneuf is badly miscast as a #1 shutdown guy. I wanna grab a real shutdown d-man who can skate like the wind to make up for his mistakes and let him roam. He was so effective when he was like a 4th forward with a wicked shot and insane hitting.

He needs a Ryan Suter/Dan Girardi type d-man. Luckily, Matt Finn appears to fit that description. I can see a future top 4 being:

Rielly – Gardiner
      Phaneuf – Finn

Although if a trade comes along over the summer to unload Dion for a reasonable price, I would jump all over it. I wouldn’t do it during the season unless the Leafs really crap out by the deadline.

• blaze says:

Name a shutdown defenseman that can skate like the wind? Phaneuf is hardly the slowest dman on the team he can actually rush the puck up the ice.

• toronto77 says:

That’s funny that you bring that up, b/c now that I think of it Phaneuf’s speed is fairly decent skating up the ice with the puck, but for whatever messed up reason, he seems to skate a lot more slower back checking.

But when Phaneuf skates the puck all he does is throw it into the boards and forcing the team to battle for it. Last night really showed where the leafs lacked Gardiner’s presence. He can skate up ice with speed and distribute it really well.

He has more then recovered from his concussion. I am surprised the team hasn’t called him up yet. Let’s not get too cocky, even though we are playing much better defensively and are off to a great start, we still need Gardiner’s mobile presence on defence.

• leafs_wallace93 says:

Hashtag sarcasm.

• LN91 says:

I don’t mind trading Phaneuf, like I said all season. He is not mobile at all and this issue tranlsates to many of his mistakes.

Have you guys ever seen a guy like Fraser or Franson makes these mistakes? No.

• blaze says:

Are you really claiming Fraser to be more mobile than Phaneuf? Have you ever seen Fraser try to skate out of the zone with the puck? Maybe when Fraser plays 28 min a night you’d take notice.

Don’t get me wrong I like Fraser he’s great in his role but to suggest it’s the lack of mobility separating their play is foolish.

• LN91 says:

No, I don’t think Fraser is more mobile…but I do think he positions himself better defensively and I’ve seen many great plays under pressure to get the puck out of the zone…There is a reason why he is +13 and Phaneuf is a -6.

I believe that your top-4 defencemen, in any case, need to be very mobile. Big reasons why I’m high on Reilly and Gardiner. I like Phaneuf, don’t get me wrong…But I was always irked by his poor skating.

Phaneuf, I have seen many errors…Most of the times, his errors lead to the back of the net or a penalty because he cannot back check as quickly.

• toronto77 says:

This may not be saying much, but Fraser is an amazing 5th-6th d-man. He plays really smart and simple, and is perfect for that role and he knows it. He’s not one of these guys who are playing the 5th or 6th spot but want a 1st to 4th spot. Once a player accepts his role, he really becomes excellent at it.

I’d like to see us make a play for O’Reilly. I don’t think it will cost as much as some are speculating. Do you guys remember all the wild trade proposals floating around for Turris last year? He ended up going for a 2nd rounder. I know O’Reilly has been a little more impressive at an NHL level, but he won’t be dealt for a 1st and a top prospect or something ridiculous like that.

Probaby a good young roster player and a 2nd round pick for O’Reilly would get it done.

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

Turris went for Rundblad(former 1st) and a 2nd. O’Reilly is a better player now than Turris was last year which means a top prospect (Rundblad level) and a 1st is not ridiculous. It is a bit high to pay for a guy that will likely hold out for 5M a year but it isn’t an unreasonable asking price considering the market and former deals.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

I think Colorado is holding out like Vancouver was for Luongo. I don’t think O’Reilly will go for a relatively small package. If it’s a yong roster player and a 2nd, I think it’s going to have to be a VERY good young roster player and a 2nd. I would have to think if it was less…a deal would have been done by now

Ya very good roster player and a 2nd. Like Kadri and a 2nd for example. Doesn’t look great right now with Kadri performing so well, but that would be about right.

My overall point is that these 1st rounder and top prospect proposals is a little high. I think some people will be surprised when he goes for a bit less than advertised.

I don’t really disagree.
            What Colorado will hang there hat on is “Look what this guy did last year and he was only 20 years old’ kind of thing.
            The longer they wait to trade him, I think his value will drop some. I don’t want him as much at the deadline though if we are still in it. He needs to get here quickly if we are doing it so that he gets a good number of games in prior to playoffs, should we make it.

Runblad was a bust though. That’s like saying Carter Ashton is a former 1st rounder. It’s true, but so what? Not like Runblad or Ashton are going to ever be first or second line NHL’ers.

I feel like Runblad was just a throw-in. I wouldn’t call him a “top prospect” by any means.

Also, I really wish Burke had made a play for Sam Gagner last year when he was being shopped. We missed our chance, and he’s looking amazing this year. I’ve always loved this kid’s skill set. He’ll be a good player for a long while. Taken 6th overall six years ago, and really looks good now.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

Gagner looks great in Edmonton with a bunch of young kids where defence is a bit of an after thought. I’m still not convinced he would excel on a team (like Toronto) where defensive play is mandatory or you sit. Plus, we would just be adding another smallish, not too physical centre with good skill set. Although a good player, not what we need IMO.

• doorman says:

Wallace some of us stated making trades as opposed to losing them for nothing, lol. I have also said I can live with where ever ther Leafs finish as long as the kids are playing and play hard. I am glad I couldn’t watch the game last night, I still hate the Aulie trade lol, nice to see him getting a chance to play though. I also think we still neeed to aquire a vetern goaltender. I am not basing this on last night either. However a calming vetern pressence is never a bad thing. Many players have furished with a mentor.

We probably could have moved one of our glut of d-men packaged with Bozak. Similar player’s but Gagner is just a lot better than Bozak.

I don’t mind having a few soft forwards mixed in with the others if the skill level is high enough. For every Bertuzzi, Cleary, and Abdelkaeder on Detroit there has been a Filpulla, Hudler, Ray Whitney, etc.

I would take a run at a guy like Mike Ribeiro even, that’s fine. Look at Boston, players like Rich Peverly, Chris Kelly, not overly physical at all but quick and good hands mixed in with the Lucic’s and Greg Campbell, Shawn Thornton, etc.

• LN91 says:

Too small??? How does this fix our issues?

• leafs_wallace93 says:

Kadri is starting to remind me of Gagner, similar draft position and expectations, both got attention immediately for a few dangles in exhibition games and in shootouts. Kadri is showing those signs of a Gagner like breakout.

• leafmeister says:

Kadri, in a spectacularly un-Leaf like manner however, was not rushed. I am cautiously penciling Kadri in as our future 2nd line center, and I think he can excel in the role.

I don’t know what Grabo’s future with this team is though.

• doorman says:

This is the exact amazing reason and thing about Rielly being sent back. It is a blessing in disguise. Same with not ruching Gardiner back after a concussion. Allowing him to play and regain his form in a non-pressure enviroment is a very good thing.

• leafmeister says:

I would have been very disappointed in the Leafs management if Rielly was kept up. That said, I cannot wait to see him in a Leaf jersey. He drew comparisons to Karlsson, and if he could have a similar impact to the team offense then we can knock off a major team need for a while. I know he was said to be the best passer from the ’12 draft, and I think he may have been called the best skater too.

I kinda hope to see him next year. A full year of junior and an actual training camp could have him in NHL form, but if not, it is far from the end of the world.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

Not a knock against Kadri, but I think 2nd line centre is his ceiling and he can do well there if he keeps up the proper work ethic and continues to play hard on both sides of the puck.

• leafmeister says:

Oh yeah he is not 1st line center. Like a lot of guys who can get by on skill in junior it took him a few years to get to the NHL. He still has all those nifty moves for the shootout and breakaways, and other rare occasions when they are applicable, but he knows how to play the NHL style now. Carlyle and Eakins are responsible for that. I am glad Wilson didn’t have too much time coaching him.

• doorman says:

His ability to play as a competent 2nd line centre will allow us to move forward and possibly move other assets to aquire help in other areas.

Good comparison Wallace – But Gagner stepped right into the NHL as a 40+ point man at age 18 and is already a 5-year vet before he even turns 24 this summer. His game has improved in all areas.

LN91, my thinking is that he would have been an upgrade over Bozak, Grabo, or Kadri. I wouldn’t want all 4 of them in there. And check out my other comment, like I said, you can have a few purely skilled guys who don’t hit, Kessel has a place in the line-up for this reason.

11. doorman says:

So the Ducks have just signed Fasth to a 2yr $5.8mil extention, lol, like wtf? This guy has 8 NHL games under his pads. I think the Ducks are gonna trade Hiller and I think it will be a mistake on their part, IMO.

• LN91 says:

If a goalie is working in a particular system, sign him. I don’t think goalies should be paid 6 million a year these days…Well, unless you are Carey Price, Pekka Rinne, or Henrik Lundqvist.

Price is a top 3? Jesus…. Maybe I need to watch more habs games, because I’ve never seen him as anything special. People go crazy over Price, but he’s never been good for more than a month at a time. He’s really prone to some bad goals too.

Well, he might be able to iron out his game and become great, but I wouldn’t put him there yet. Of course, I’m bias, I hate Montreal. Still…

• leafmeister says:

I think in regards to the best goalies in the world, there is Henrik Lundqvist, and then there is everyone else.

No other goalie has maintained his consistency year to year.

I mean, Luongo, Price, Rinne, Miller, Rask, Quick, Halak and even Hiller (imo) can be better on a given year, but in regards to year to year consistency (Which is what you pay for), Henrik is king. It may make him the most valuable player in the league, although I think he will have to get at least one cup under his belt before he seriously enters that discussion.

• doorman says:

You dont also throw out 2.8 per season to a guy who has played 9 games IMO, lol, or i might be wrong. Based on your formula though after his steller and yes it was steller rookie season on a crap team Reimer should have been paid $3mil per.

As for consistent netminding, there are a few goalies that are close to him, IMO. And for all his worth he still hasn’t won them anything when it mattered until then he is loungo, lite lol cause at least lou went to a cup and like him or not that means something.