Leafs’ Burke: Parise, Suter not likely targets

toronto

If Brian Burke is to be believed, don’t expect the Toronto Maple Leafs to be big players in the free agent market this summer.

Speaking at the P.E.I. Special Olympics Festival Luncheon on Wednesday, Burke discussed his plans heading into free agency beginning July 1.

“With the salary cap and the new collective bargaining agreement that’s coming up, I don’t know what our plans are for filling out our roster,” Burke said. “Free agency starts on July 1, it’s a really thin group.

“Teams are locking all these quality players up now, so the group that is getting to the market is thin, it’s shallow. There are really two high-end players and that’s about it, (Nashville defenceman) Ryan Suter and (New Jersey forward) Zach Parise.

Although Suter or Parise would provide the Leafs with an immediate infusion of star power, it seems unlikely either will be wearing the Blue and White next season.

“I don’t think we are going to be in on either one of them,” Burke said.

And despite missing the playoffs each season since being named GM of the Leafs in 2008, Burke said he isn’t ready to abandon his long-term plan for short-term success — even if it costs him his job.

“People say if you don’t make the playoffs you are gone,” said Burke. “That’s fine. I am not going to do anything short term to make the playoffs and keep my job.

126 Responses to Leafs’ Burke: Parise, Suter not likely targets

1. leafs_wallace93 says:

Burke isn’t going to make a splash UFA…. In other news water is wet…

• HABSdomination says:

Seriously, this is a strategic remark by Burke. All this negativity about Burke… if he hadn’t got Kessel which he did(and overpaid a tad for, tad being an understatement), you guys would’ve assassinated him at his home during his sleep with an elephant gun.

BUT, he did trade for him. And so far, he’s the Leafs biggest asset.

And now, and this is my opinion, he strategically is saying that he won’t “overpay” for Parisé or Suter. Thus meaning he’s pretty cap conscious and therefore moeticulous about the futur of this franchise. The guy’s freakin’ evolving. Not that he needs to, since he his a great GM.

It’s that kind of rant from the Leafs nation that prevents a player from signing with one of the top 3 franchises in hockey history.

At least wait until july 5th before beating on him. He’s a good guy really. He rid us of Komisarek 😉

• leafs_wallace93 says:

Ok, you clearly don’t know HTR history because I gave Burke’s eulogy two summers ago and I said then that Burke’s unwillingnes to offer competive contracts will snowball into a crisis.

He’s handicapping the franchise for his own idoitic principles he deserves to be fired.

• HABSdomination says:

How can you sign someone who doesn’t want to be signed??? No one wants to go to Toronto. Seriously. Keep your head in the sand if you want, but when’s the last time a franchise player openly said he could’n’t wait to be a Leaf? Even Luongo who’s in a shitty situation(other than the fact that he’s filthy rich no matter what) doesn’t want to go there; he and all the others know damn well what awaits them if they have a poor season. Plus the taxes suck in Canada. Gotta count for something in a lot of the player’s minds.

Sad but true. Learn to live with it ’cause no matter who’s in charge over there, you’re likely to get the same treatment, maybe even worse.

Mogilny, Roberts, Joseph, Belfour, Nieuwendyk, we signed some pretty high profile guys. And its not just because we were good at the time, Cujo and Steve Thomas signed in the summer of ’98 after the Leafs had missed the playoffs back to back years, and they were paramount in getting us back on track, and both signed for less than market value. A good GM can lure free agents to Toronto no problem.

And to answer your question, the last time a franchise player said he couldnt wait to be a Leaf was Lindros in the late 90’s, but we also were the only team on Marc Savard’s list, happen to be on Nash’s list, Schultz, etc. Toronto is a desirable destination, not just opinion were always involved but Burke has failed to pull the trigger.

Also, even though they aren’t franchise guys, Bozak and Gustavsson were highly sought after and received multiple lucrative offers and chose Toronto, so I don’t think your argument holds up.

• leafs_wallace93 says:

We were also clearly positioned as buyers on the market year in, year out (another reason we’re the Yankees of hockey and not Montreal for those keeping score). Not only did we get quality UFAs each year but we were expected to add talent like Nolan, Leech, Francis, Gilmour (tragic return) and Wesley at the deadline and give up empty prospect/picks. If not for the cap we would have resigned all these players and kept adding assets on top of them each year.

When people say ‘Toronto is the worst managed team’ it overlooks the fact that big market teams and the demands of that market aren’t position well for cap systems and Toronto was poorly positioned going into the cap system. We should have recouvered by now but we had ownership in the habit of the old system that pressured management to act accordingly.

It’s starting to make sense now, Burke was the GM of the Canucks at the time and he was really out spoken about the danger to small market Canadian teams. He still has a chip of his shoulder about UFA spending.

There are days I wish we got rid of the cap and watch these small markets just get desimated to shut up their fanbases given that they couldn’t even compete without the league regulating them. In a free market they’d be dying slowly like a coyote under a Phoenix sun.

• HABSdomination says:

Wallace:

Who said the Leafs are the worst managed team??? Not me. Man, some of you are pretty darn good at finding answers for problems that don’t even exist.

The only thing i registered when reading your reply that had nothing to do with my subject is this: excuses excuses excuses. In an unpopular market, with no freakin’ cash, how can a team like the Coyotes continue to improve and surpass all expectations when your “Yankees of hockey” could’nt even beat the Marlies even if Kessel’s life depended on it? All that while operating under the same rules and cap limitations.

And by the way my confused friend, at 24 Cups AND being the oldest team in hockey AND having about 50 numbers retired AND enough banners to build a new ozone layer, i think it’s pretty safe to say the Montreal Canadiens are not only the Yankees of hockey, but they’re the entire freakin’ MLB-NBA-NFL-MUNDIAL of hockey. Oh yeah.

• leafs_wallace93 says:

WTF are you talking about my reply was to mojo, one comment on the ‘who is the Yankees of hockey’ and it’s the Leafs cause we’re the biggest market and produce the most money.

It was a rant, I resent other Canadian fanbases boasting about their teams given the only reason their competitive is that the Leafs have their hands tied by the league to artificially prop up small markets (i.e. ever other Canadian market).

Excuses? For what? I’ve criticized current MSLE management more then anyone on this site and I was the first to bury Burke but I’m making excuses for him? You don’t make sense but I’m confused, ok…….

Whatever, there is no other loser fanbase in the MLB, NBA, NFL or the NHL that brags about championships in the seventies. My point was that in a free market the Leafs are spenders Yankees and the Habs are sellers Kansas City Royals. Montreal was such a terribly run organization that their last Hall of Famer walked out on them to go to a real market at the time Colorado but the Habs won a cup 20 years ago, their beasts… pfft…

• HABSdomination says:

Championships in the seventies maybe, but championships none the less. You are clearly a jealous douche my man. Also, you are even more confused if you think Canada has more small markets than the U.S., maybe you should revise your opinions and b!tch about New Jersey, Dallas, Phoenix, etc… Also, the late Thrashers who came DESPERATELY to Winnipeg who got those tickets sold out in about 17 seconds.

And you jokes won a cup about 200 years ago. Enjoy Komisarek, Lombardi, and the rest of your worthless crop of losers.

Do you even know diddly squat about hockey? Do you even watch a game or two per year`?… pfft…

• leafs_wallace93 says:

Ahhh iz sumbaby havin a tantrum?

If you were alive for the pre lockout NHL you’d know that ever Canadian team other than the Leafs were struggling. The weak Canadian dollar had a lot to do with it as well.

Winnipeg is a huge market? That’s why they went belly up and had to begged for 15 years to get franchise back. You’re smart….

My frame of reference is reality though but you’re awesome because the Hab won a cup twenty years ago, bfd.

• HABSdomination says:

‘tantrum’ reply:

Winnipeg a huge market? I didn’t even write those words you baffoon. You’re the numbnut who can’t even realize that the Canadian market is overall doing very well. Montreal out-grossed Toronto last year by 2M$. So, Montreal #1, Toronto #2 when it comes to $. Now, that’s REALLY not for bragging since if you put either 1 ahead of the other, it still equals this: almost a third of the Canadian market represent the NHL’s top grossing teams. And i won’t even mention Vancouver.

Also, who cares about a pre-lockout period? Seriously. You’re going off topic so desperately, it’s getting ridiculous. Canadian dollar????? LOLLLLLLL

And yes, as much as the average bear, i am awesomely smart.

Do you even have valid arguments?

• HABSdomination says:

Wow, you answered my question without even knowing it and stuck your foot in your own mouth without even realizing it: late 90s. That was 15 years ago. Plus, Lindros, Savard, Shultz. How many did end up coming here? Burke or no burke. Cause Lindros wasn’t around for Burke, OBVIOUSLY.

Also, you prove your OWN self wrong when you admit that Gustavsson chose Toronto: hello, Burke convinced him!!!!

Someone call a doctor.

It does not appear he will be in on Schultz either.

I really wonder then if he will sign any free agents at all.

My guess is, if he trades another dman, he will try to find one on the cheap. Like someone like Colin White or something.

As for forwards, I’d love Doan, but I dont see that happening either. It will be players like Parros, or Moen or Prust who get calls.

I think trades are the way to go for Burke. He’s impotent when it comes to free agency so its pretty pointless to even hope for or discuss it.

He’s lost me here. How can you not want to at least try to sign these guys. He didn’t (really) try to sign Richards last year, Gaborik, Kovalchuk, Cammalleri, Vokoun, throw Parise and Suter into the pile. This is getting out of hand. Free agents cost you no assets, someone pass that message along.

• reinjosh says:

Burke’s biggest weakness has always been the UFA market. It always has been . And while I contend the idea that he hasn’t committed to going after UFA’s (kovy and Richards were very much already spoken for and should not be counted in that group), he’s always been very weak at it. His commitment too not giving long term contracts, his idea that the UFA market is a player’s right, have led him to overpay for players everytime.

I’m very surprised that he won’t go after Parise or Suter though. It’s odd. Although the JVR trade and other recent comments seem to suggest he thinks the Leafs won’t even be contenders next year and he’s going more long-term goal oriented building…

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

what is Burke suppose to say? If he said he was going to go after them wouldn’t that be tampering? If he is telling the truth about not even going to try to sign them then fine, I think that is a mistake but he still cannot come out and say that he will be in on them.

He pretty much has no other choice but to say no.

• Schneidfeld says:

Why is Burke “Impotent” with free agency?

What a cheap piece of shit.

“Overall the free agent market is thin, so I’m not going to try to sign a superstar who is available.” Ya that makes sense…

“I’m not going to abandon my long term plan by signing a stud like Ryan Suter.” Makes perfect sense to me. Suter would ruin any team’s long term plans with his great positional play and the top end offence he creates from the back end.

• leafs_wallace93 says:

Lol, Burke has a long term plan? Oh yeah, just be a contender give no indication or explaination of how to become one?

Seriously, what the hell is Burke’s plan to make this team better, does anyone have a clue? There is a laundry list of things we know he’s unwilling to do, he’s been clear on those issues but I for one have no f’ing clue what he’s doing or the direction of this team.

Cluster expletive.

I’m really not sure. Unless he’s lying right now and he does make a big splash for Suter, but I think that’s unlikely. How could you not want this guy?

4. dumbassdoorman says:

Honestly I appreciate him saying it as opposed to blowing smoke up our asses. Neither of them were realistically signing here anyway. Plus when it boils down to it I believe his target is Getzlaf, he just can’t say it. I think if the ducks season goes bad he swoops in before the FA period next year. Let’s face it no matter how good those players are they do not address our biggest three issues, goal, grit and cap situation

Ya, but if he doesn’t end up landing Getzlaf, it would’ve been nice to have had Parise. And if he does end up getting Getzlaf, it would be nice to have Suter on the team regardless.

By saying something like this because he figures he won’t get these guys anyway’s is like giving up without even trying. “Oh we’re never gonna get them, so why bother.” This is what you’re suggesting Burke is doing, doorman, and in that case he’s a pussy.

• nordiques100 says:

Its really false hope to think he’ll get Getzlaf.

I think personally its idiotic for Leaf nation to even predict a free agent will sign here or we’re going to go after that free agent.

It’ll never happen under Burke. its foolish to even predict it.

• dumbassdoorman says:

I didn’t predict it, I said plain and simple what i thought he was thinking. You don’t have to like what i said, and I never said it didn’t suck. However you can only have so many wingers. Plus we all cry for a proper rebuild and truthfully this wouldn’t be that. However another high pick would truely help…lol…a first or a second overall. And let me put it another way, would you sign here if you were either of those guys? Yes bad contracts need to be moved and some are at least expiring.

• reinjosh says:

Agreed. At least him saying he won’t sign them is better than pretending he is going after them and then not.

And really at least he won’t overpay for a “Plan B” free agent this way. Like Komisarek, Connolly, Bertuzzi etc, etc.

• leafs_wallace93 says:

Sooooooo should we collaborate on next summer’s top ten mock drafts now because that’s all there’ll be to talk about this summer and throughout the season in Leaf Nation.

I think a big reason why the rebuild has taken longer than Burke has originally anticipated is because he’s been so lack lustre in free agency. Settling for Beauchemin and Armstrong, and guys like this. Support players are only useful if you have the proper star power for them to support. A team of support players with a couple sweet wingers is never going to make the playoffs, let alone compete for a cup.

• JoelLeafs says:

Plus, and I really hate to say it, but is it not at least 50/50 that Lupul doesn’t repeat his performance from last year? I’m not saying it was necessarily a fluke, but how often do you see players come out of nowhere and breakout, only to have a lackluster follow up year?

Fingers crossed, but I think the only player’s I’d bank on having great years next in this forward crop are Kessel and Grabo. JVR and Kulemin could go either way. Mac is a ? but usually somewhat consistent, and Lupul is a bit of a wild card IMO. It’s tough to be a leading point getter in the NHL most of the season two years in a row…

• leafs_wallace93 says:

I give credit to Burke for being on top of this when Lupul was offered for Nash at the deadline.

Lupul is a lose/lose scenario, either he repeats last year and demands a huge raise as a potential UFA (how often do you see these types of players be good long term? and he’s injury prone) or he simply fades away like Kulemin.

• JoelLeafs says:

Well you certainly took my pessimism to another level! heh

Hey, if Lupul has a similar year I’m fine with giving him a raise and some cash (I’d give him Kessel money, maybe a tad more for inflation). If he wants to walk out on the team that gave him a chance and brought him back to an NHL elite than fuk him, let him go.

I still have hope for Kuls, I mean he still plays a great 2-way game and has that big body. He could bounce back. I think he’s a great 2nd liner, just needs to regain his step offensively. Wonder what he signs for… Term wise, the money is alt set at a near minimum qualifying raise considering his last season.

• reinjosh says:

He didn’t really come out of nowhere though…

He had a breakout season prior to this with Philly before Hatcher ended that with an ill-timed teammate hit. And he’s proven he’s a 20 goal, 50 point player before that. Hell he was a 20 goal, 50 point player playing for Anaheim on the third line…

He’s getting top line time, has the pedigree, prior success. All make it very likely he repeats last year. At the very least he’s a good bet to hit 25 goals, 60 plus points.

Ya Lupul’s always had the raw talent, but he’s never been able to put it together for successive seasons. This year will be a huge test for him.

• reinjosh says:

Well it’s more been his injuries than anything.

He’s never gotten consistent top line development time and that’s prevented him from establishing his game properly. Now he’s going to get that chance and I’d bet on him proving he’s the talented player he showed last year. Maybe not PPG player but 65 points to 70 points? Entirely feasible if he’s getting top line time and finished the season with 82 games.

Ya, Lupul I don’t think will be a top end superstar, but I do think he could be in that next tier with your Patrick Sharps, and Paul Stastny calibre guys. Andrew Brunette in his prime, Ray Whitney, etc.

• nordiques100 says:

Lupul is great cause he looks like he cares.

I think he’s more mature now to not be too bothered by Carlyle and the supposed feud.

I think that maturity on the ice makes a world of difference in his game too.

• toronto77 says:

I think a benefit of having both JVR and Lupul on the team is that they will put pressure on each other to compete for a top line winger position.

6. leafs_wallace93 says:

He’s basically spitting on Leaf Nation, it’s like when the Swedish princess wouldn’t waive his NTC, these are well paid people that couldn’t care less about their fanbase. Burke is simply detached and out of touch with how to manage a team.

I suppose the best case scenario is he does nothing, maybe (stressing maybe) he signs Schultz, goes into the season with that line up and the Leafs bottom out, Burke fired by the deadline.

Worst case scenario, we’re in the 11th-7th dog fight all season and we’re basically back in the thick of the dark days of the JFJ era.

7. JoelLeafs says:

Not sure how much of it I believe, but this is the best hockey news I’ve heard in quite a while:

Quote:”The NHL season could start without a new labour agreement if both sides agree to continue talks beyond the Sept. 15 expiration of the current deal.

If players continue working without a new contract, they would do so under the old pact if both sides in the negotiations agree, Fehr said. The regular season is scheduled to start on Oct. 11.

8. JoelLeafs says:

Next year will be pivotal for the leafs. Barring the signings of RAFs and any extensions, the leafs only have 4 forwards signed (Kessel, Grabo, JVR, and Brown). Now obviously players like Kuls and probably Frattin will get signed but even with them the lineup tentatively looks like this:

Kessel _____ _____
    JVR Grabo Kuls (this obviously couldwill be shaken up)
    _____ _____ _____
    Brown _____ _____

On D we only have Phaneuf, Liles, Komisarek, and Gardiner (and a couple minors guys)

Now, obviously there will be signings but the roster could be seriously changed up. Maybe Burke gets to keep molding. Maybe he gets canned and Nonis gets a chance to make it his team. Next off season should be a big one…

Reimer is signed though then, and I’m sure Scrivens and Rynnas will get re-signed, but goaltending could be very different in two years.

9. ZillyHoo says:

Is anyone up for a trade for Granlund and Clutterbuck in a package from Minnesota?

I really wanna grab the two and I’d center the trade around MacArthur and Kadri + for them..

• leafs_wallace93 says:

How about we center that deal around Reimer instead.

• ZillyHoo says:

They have Harding and Backstrom, I’d throw in Gunners/Franson since they need D but…

I really would like to see those two on the team. Clutterbuck is grit and scoring, Granlund is a beauty.

Lupul – Granlund – Kessel as our top line…

• dumbassdoorman says:

LOL, Grandlund is a beauty and that is why it would take way more then, MacArthur, Kadri and even throwing in a dman or two. We would be adding A 1st and maybe other prospects to be sure. Little fox is not a get hoodwinked GM, for the most part…IMO.

What’s Granlund supposed to become, like a Mikko Koivu?

Is he actually available? He’s been a stud as a teenager in the Finnish league.

• reinjosh says:

I highly doubt he’s available. He’s established himself as one of the most promising prospects in the league, and is expected to jump into the NHL this season. He’s likely a majot part of Fletcher’s planned forward core.

I’d love him but he’d take a hell of a lot to get. Like established top line center that’s still under 28 and signed long term.

• nordiques100 says:

i think that is someone’s fantasy. I doubt he is available.

I have been a big proponent though of getting clutterbuck. even overpaying. he is an impact player in many facets and is exactly who the leafs need.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

Another guy the Leafs should be looking at is David Clarkson. One year left on a contract with a cash strapped team. I have wanted this guy for a couple of years. We need help on the right side and he plays the style we need.

Ya Clutterbuck, or Ott, or hell even both would be huge. It would be like the old Corson, Tucker, Domi, Green, Fitzgerald, Roberts days.

We’ll be the only team in the division who could go toe to toe with Boston.

• Shoelesshobo says:

The going price for Granlund was the 5th overall + as for Clutterbuck I have had some be open to a Jessie Blacker offer. Now that the draft is over I highly doubt they look to move Granlund as he is set to become their second line center. We have a chance when we could of traded the 5th and they could of got Forsberg but we really do not have the pieces to get him now.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

If the Leafs sign Schultz and couple that with the drafting of Rielly…I think Burke may be willing to move Gardiner (as crazy as some may think that is) for a big piece ie. Nash.

Since Columbus paid a solid price to get Bobrovsky, they probably believe he could be a number 1 or 1A. I could see Burke using a package based on

Kessel
            Gardiner
            Scrivens
            + others (may include 2013 1st rounder and a salary dump(Connolly-1 year left)and a prospect(Kadri)for example

for Nash and Mason.

With the signing of Schultz, Toronto would be loaded with young puck moving D-men…Gardiner could help grab a huge piece…Nash or Ryan for example. It will really depend on if Schultz signs here. Remember, Burke loves the blockbusters.

• Gambo says:

If Schultz signs here, it’s because Gardiner is here. Burke has also said that Gardiner is untouchable.

Anyways that would be a huge overpayment by the Leafs. I’m pretty sure offering up just Kessel could get him and to be honest(I may stand alone here) I’d rather keep Kessel over getting Nash.

Scrivens has more value than Mason right now and in my mind it would be a terrible trade for the Leafs.

No way the Leafs trade Gardiner and no way Schultz signs here without Gardiner.

I’d rather have Nash than Kessel, but I’m fine with keeping Kessel. He’s a guy you count on for 30+ goals. Nothing wrong with that.

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

honestly, I think we are much better off with Kessel. But even if we agree to disagree and say Kessel & Nash are even skill-wise then We should get more for Kessel than just Nash. Nash has a big contract (we will likely pay Kessel in the 6.5-7M range), and Nash is older than Kessel.

If we are giving Columbus Kessel & Gardiner, I would demand Nash & Johansen… minimum.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

Burke also said at one point Schenn was untouchable.
                On the flip side of Schultz coming here only if Gardiner is here… A selling point to get Schultz could be to tell him Gardiner is going and we want him to step into our top 4 and be “the guy” to run the powerplay. Right now, Schultz is looking at probably bottom two pairing minutes if he signs with T.O. If Gardiner is gone, he is looking at top 4 minutes.
                Also, sorry, no way at this point does offering Kessel straight up get you Nash.

• toronto77 says:

HUGE!!!! overpayment for Nash and Mason.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

I think Kessel is being over-valued a bit, but that’s my opinion. If Burke lands Nash, he will HAVE to overpay at this point. It will most likely be the only way to get him if it is soon. The only way Nash’s price drops is if it is at training camp time and Nash refuses to report to Columbus and demands a trade. Hard to say Scrivens value is above Mason at this point considering Mason is a proven NHLer. The price for Nash is going to be a top roster player or two plus picks/prospects. I don’t necessarily like the asking price, but it is what it is.
                As for Kessel or Nash. I would take Nash in a heartbeat over Kessel and I don’t dislike Kessel. He is a sniper no doubt, but his compete level is in question and he plays scared at times. A big power forward like Nash is a much greater asset, especially in the Eastern Conference.

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

it is a preference thing, personally I’m ok with overpaying for Nash but don’t give up Kessel or Gardiner unless CBJ overpays. If we are going to trade either of them we need to get their current inflated value.

• leafs_wallace93 says:

I was just hating on Dan Cloutier, I mean James Remier.

I wouldn’t rule out Reimer yet. 24 year old goalie who was a Holtby-esque stud when he broke in. Then started last year off 4-0-0 before being run by Gionta. He never really got it together after he got back, but he did go on a bit of a run in late January- early February where he had back to back shutouts, including one to end Pittsburgh’s 8 game winning streak. Kid was on fire for a bit, but complained of neck pains.

Burke said he’s been working out like crazy this summer to get to top shape. I think Reimer is going to be a good NHL goalie, we’ll just see if he comes back from this concussion. It took Hiller about a full year to really return to form after his concussion/vertigo, so…

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

Completely agree. Reimer is going to be fine.

• leafs_wallace93 says:

I’m not ruling him out but I have little faith that he’ll be the answer to solve the equation and can see him being the final nail in Burke’s (Brian’s) coffin much like Cloutier was.

I anticipated this last summer when I said we’d be well served to take a run at Corey Schneider, he’d look pretty good right now.

Our season is basically going to be up to Riems again but he’s not going have the hype he carried last season and if he busts, he’s going to get run out of town just like Gustavsson.

Its a big risk, and a gamble, no question. But his ceiling is also really high, I would hate to give up on a kid who could emerge as a solid starter as soon as next year… Unless the return was high.

• Schneidfeld says:

I’d love a Clutterbuck jersey! 2nd best name in the NHL, after Shattenkirk (obviously) lol!!

I know he hasn’t been as physical as he could be so far in his career, and I’m hoping that Carlyle will help him with that, but JVR definitely scores goals like a power forward. Most of his goals are either by taking big shot from way out, or driving to the net for rebounds, deflections, or driving the net with the puck and stuffing it. He’s got the tools to be an awesome player.

• toronto77 says:

I think Burke is on his way to building an american olympic team with the leafs. JVR looks like a horse, I would not be surprised if he out beats Lupul for the left wing position on the top line.

Although…With his size, speed, skill and driving hard to the net, I would not be surprised if does become the no.1 centre in between Lupul and Kessel.

Even though he’s a winger, I think most leaf fans will be more than happy to have JVR as the no.1 centre then Bozak.

There are free agents out there that are appealing, but it looks as though nothing will be coming about for the Leafs, other than a few depth guys.

There are a few names via trade that i would like to see in blue and white.

Clutterbuck or Ott is one. I would love both, but one would be great. I think Ott would be easier to acquire. I think Clutterbuck would cost more. Mostly because he can score a bit more than Ott and is younger, thus potentially less broken down.

I’d offer Franson and Bozak for Ott and a 4th or 5th round pick. It seems like a lot, but I think Ott would have a greater impact on the Leafs than either of those two combined.

Franson is a RH shot which Dallas doesn’t have many of except Robidas. he is also over 6’0 tall which is also something that Dallas is lacking on D. Robidas, Larsen, Goligoski and Daley are all either 6’0 tall or shorter. Franson offers a big shot, comes relatively cheap and is young and still has some potential.

Bozak is someone Nieuwendyk is quite familiar with as he was integral in helping Toronto sign Bozak as a free agent. With the trade of Ribiero, he would be a nice fit behind Jamie Benn at centre.

another option could be Blacker, Bozak and a decent pick like a 3rd for Ott.

Again it seems like a lot, but i just like what Ott brings, and so do probably 29 other teams. I this fashion, the team probably won’t need to find a depth blueliner to split time with Holzer as the top 7 would be Dion, Gunnarsson, Liles, Komi, Gardiner, Franson, Holzer.

Ott was one of the league leaders in hits and is a sh*t disturber. He stands up for his teammates, plays much bigger than his size dictates and can win draws, defend and play multiple positions. He’d add this sort of character and passion Toronto doesn’t really have in their lineup.

Toronto could use a physical presence up front with all the adjectives Burke loves and he could really help the Leafs.

Another person of interest would be Kyle Clifford. He is a big, thick body who is not afraid to play a physical game. I think he would be a good player working along the boards, crashing the net and grinding it out in the corners.

I would offer up Jerry D’Amigo and Marcel Mueller for Clifford and another mid round pick.

He is a younger player, but the Kings, with Westgarth, King, Nolan, 3 big, similar guys, can afford to do that and replace him with more skilled forwards.

Having a bottom 6 of Ott, Clifford, Steckel, Brown, Komarov, Armstrong, Orr and Frattin would be gritty, tough and rough enough to ensure the Leafs are not running scared or run over period.

I think that is what Toronto needs.

To replace Bozak, I think Connolly, who has 1 year left, could be the guy, he was ok with Lupul/Kessel. Or else, maybe Kadri or Colborne are there. Or even JVR.

To take things a bit further, I’d go after Nash. I think he’d change the whole dynamic of the Leafs in a positive way.

I’d trade Kessel for Nash. (I’d even include MacArthur and Lombardi to balance out the finances)

Nash is a beast. Imagine him and Lupul together. they’d be hard to stop. At that point I would then put JVR there at centre. how about that top line. 3 big, highly skilled players. lets see Chara run over people now.

I think the whole team would be boosted by that. or even if it is the skilled wingers and Connolly at centre, or the big wingers and Kadri. I think Kadri would thrive in that scenario with Lupul and Nash driving the net, or being creative and skilled like Kadri is. Kadri certainly wouldn’t have to worry about not having room to operate out there.

I think having a team that is big and rugged, but also highly skilled with more heart and passion and will would overcome any issues with having kids in goal and at the end of the day, we probably could just give up on Luongo.

I think that benefits the team too contractually.

I know ppl are huge fans of Kessel, (and in this case CBJ would get an all star winger and 2 guys who can play in teh top 9) and i dont mind a guy who can score 35 goals. But, I dunno with Carlyle. I dont know if he fits the dynamic anymore. I dont believe he brings enough of an all around game to fit. And I dont like his leadership or lack thereof. I think he epitomizes the Leafs problems in being soft and weak willed.

That last trade may be fantasy, but getting Ott, getting Clifford, I think could solve a lot of problems the leafs have short and long term.

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

I’m pretty sure Carlyle coached a couple players on Anaheim’s cup run that were not big tough and physical. Having a couple guys like that blended in the roster wont hurt us, especially if they are as talented as Kessel.

Personally I wouldn’t trade Kessel+ for Nash, I would want Nash+ for Kessel but if it were a straight up deal I would be ok with it.

Ya Steve, good point. Andy MacDonald was a softer player before Carlyle got a hold of him. After that he wasn’t intimidating anyone, but he was playing with a little more grit, and finishing his checks etc. I think Carlyle will have a good influence on this team, and it will be okay to have a couple more “finesse” players, as long as they buy into Carlyle’s system.

I’d love to land Nash. I wonder if we could pull off a trade revolving around Kulemin, Kadri, a defenceman of their choice not named Gardiner or Rielly, and then Scrivens and a 2nd.

So maybe

Kulemin
      Kadri
      Percy
      Scrivens
      2nd

Not enough considering what Howson is reportedly asking? Probably not, but I’d part with a big package like that for Nash.

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

funny thing is we would have to add Lombardi & Komisarek for the cap to work out. lol. We should just go all out on an offer:

Nash
        Johansen

for:

Kessel
        MacArthur
        Franson
        2013 2nd round pick

lol, never gonna happen but it would be cool, especially from the Kessel-Seguin trade perspective.

Leafs lose:

Seguin (2010 2nd overall)
        Hamilton (2011 9th overall)
        Knight (2010 32nd overall)
        MacArthur (signed from FA – no net loss)
        Franson (picked up for Lebda/Slaney – no net loss)
        2013 2nd round pick (who cares anymore?)

Leafs Gain:

Nash (2002 1st overall)
        Johansen (2010 4th overall)

We upgrade that 2nd overall to 1st, and that 9th overall to 4th while giving up pieces we wont miss.

So never going to happen but one can dream!

• nordiques100 says:

To get Nash, one of kessel or gardiner has to be included. howson is dumb but not that dumb.

This is why he insisted on both krieder and mcdonagh from ny plus a 1st. If not a star the a stud young player back.

That stud is gardiner. No one else really. And at this stage I rather have gardiner than kessel. There’s something special about Jake.

Kessel and blah for Nash is a good deal IMO. With the all star game in cbj, they’d have an all star to market. Kadri, Percy etc while decent kids are just that decent, nothing special.

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

it doesn’t improve us though, we exchange a 1st line winger for a 1st line winger, that’s the only point I was trying to make. Kessel is younger, has a cheaper contract, and is thought to have more scoring ability than Nash (even though history hasn’t proven it yet).

Maybe Nash is a better hockey player and would be much more effective to us than Kessel ever could, but right now Kessel is a point-per-game player and Nash is not. Kessel should have more trade value.

• nordiques100 says:

I think it would improve Toronto because Nash can be a difference in other areas besides scoring. He certainly wont get pushed around.

I know Kessel was a point per game player, but I see more warts in his game than I see Nash.

Nash has some issues too, but as bad as Toronto has been, 8 years of no playoffs, Columbus is just atrocious. Nash hasn’t even won a playoff game and Howson makes Don Waddell look like the GM of all time.

Being around that I think really effected Nash negatively. I think he’d thrive here in a new setting.

And i think being a local product is a benefit. This is why i absolutely love the selections of Percy and Finn and really hope to see McKegg soon. I think it makes a difference, so long as they’re put in a position to succeed. I think these guys “get it” or will get it being here and knowing what it means.

Nash, playing with guys like Lupul, JVR, Grabo, Frattin, Kadri, I think he could help them as much as they could help him be that player who won the rocket trophy.

I think there will greater drive, greater passion in his game being here. More than Kessel could ever provide. And he brings leadership.

Kessel, and seeing him shy away from contact, being intimidated, it sickens me. Cause that affects the whole team.

Nash won’t be scared. i think he’d drive Chara nuts. I think Toronto with 3 strong power forwards would be an absolute handful. Like how Carter, Kopitar and Brown were not pleasant to play against.

Size matters. But Nash has tremendous skill. And I think Toronto would be a perfect place to prove ppl wrong about him.

As for what i proposed, doing that deal would save the leafs cap space, not have a huge drop-off in scoring, wouldnt cost Toronto any of their young players and makes us bigger and harder to play against.

I think for Howson, he has to look like he won the trade. today, Kessel is probably worth more. and to add 2 other top 9 forwards under 30, well I think that could work. it would make it look like BB gave up way more.

but in the longrun i think it would be worth it.

• toronto77 says:

I have not been big on these Ott, Morrow etc.. comments but I would love to have Clutterbuck! He is exactly what we need to stand up against Boston. His moustache looks killer with that comb over.

12. ZillyHoo says:

How about MacArthur Kadri, 2013 2nd Blacker/Franson for Granlund Clutterbuck and Minnesota’s 3rd in 2013

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

no chance IMO.

Clutterbuck is a 15 goal / 30 point player which makes him a downgrade to MacArthur or Kulemin (heck Armstrong was out producing him in Atlanta when he was playing full seasons). And while Granlund is a great prospect I don’t think he is worth Kadri, Franson & a 2nd (I’ll assume in your example Clutterbuck + 3rd = MacArthur).

I personally think we can get a much better, more established player than Granlund for Kadri, Franson & a 2nd round pick.

• ZillyHoo says:

You’ve gotta watch Granlund play man… He’s way over his age level. Clutterbuck isn’t a guy for scoring, he’s an energy guy. Third line type guy. With JVR added to the line up we have no need for MacArthur (I personally doubt JVR being our center) and Kadri won’t have a spot either on the top six. Granlund is so much better then Kadri and Franson really doesn’t have a future in Toronto with Rielly, Fin, Percy, Gardiner, Liles already being here as puck movers.

But again on Clutterbuck, he hits he scores, he gets into the other team’s face, he’s a leader, on the ice and off.. He’s everything you want in a player.

• toronto77 says:

I can see maybe!!!! Minnesota trading Clutterbuck depending on the price, but Granlund is going nowhere. Minnesota is doing a good job of rebuilding and could be a playoffs team for years to come.

Clutterbuck is the type of player that teams like boston and LA have won the cup with.

Ok now on to bernier. He’s a great option. 10 times than lou. Lou is better now, but bernier I think will b a star. Don’t mind at all offering one of colborne or kadri for him.

Ya, he has to be available now too.

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

I don’t think this changes anything regarding Bernier. Why would he be more available now than he was 2 days ago? They are still both signed for dirt cheap this season and depth in goal for a low price like that is always a good thing.

Bernier will definitely be traded before next year this time but LA has no real reason to move him now unless they are getting reeeeeeeeeeeally overpayed.

• nordiques100 says:

I’m sure his camp isn’t too satisfied to be quick’s caddie for even another game never mind a year. I think it hurts more than helps. The van situation isn’t great and Rask several times voiced displeasure.

He only appeared in 16 games. He’s 24, he’s waited long enough.

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

and yet they never even seriously thought about trading any of them until money was an issue (Rask & Schneider’s extensions).

If Bernier wants out, his best option is to play hard and raise his trade value and when the next trade deadline hits or the next off-season hits he can be moved for a huge return.

If Bernier plays poorly then LA will gladly re-sign him and keep him until he has trade value or is about to be an UFA (while he is RFA any offer sheet that only returns a 2nd round pick will be matched easily).

• nordiques100 says:

How can you play hard or well in just 16 games?

Quick isn’t a 30 plus year old vet like Thomas or lou, he’s a young stallion starting his prime.

Bernier here has no chance to excel in LA

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

it is true, and Bernier I’m sure wants to be somewhere else but LA is in no hurry to move him. His value is very high because of those 16 games so exactly why should LA rush to trade him and get half as much as they would if they wait a few months?

Now if someone comes in and overpays then you move Bernier for a huge package, sign a FA goalie like Biron or whatever and put out yet another Stanley Cup caliber team.

• toronto77 says:

With Jonathan Quick in LA, Bernier is going absolutely nowhere in that organization. I say Burke pushes hard for him.

To Tor: Bernier

To LA: Reimer/Scrivens, Holzer

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

Reimer will have the same issue Bernier has in LA. In a year or 2 he will want out and all you did was delay that and downgraded your goalie for Holzer.

Now Scrivins is a possibility since he is 2-5 years away from starting in the NHL, I don’t think Holzer+Scrivins would get it done though.

I would take it, LA would not.

And actually I really like Percy and Blacker. I know we can afford to trade one because we have so many good defensive prospects, but I would hate to trade the wrong one, like the Rask-Pogge situation. Maybe we should wait on these 4 guys and just see who pans out. If they all do, they’ll have tremendous trade value as they progress into the NHL.

15. lafleur10 says:

HERE’S ALEX GALCHENYUK’S REPONSE WHEN HE WAS TOLD THAT THE LEAFS WANTED TO DRAFT HIM:

It would be a tough sell, and we’d probably never be able to get him but Jaromir Jagr on a 1 year, $5.5 million contact would be pretty sweet.

Hell, Burke’s old buddy Teemu would be cool. Also never gonna happen…

• ZillyHoo says:

Our Teemu is Kessel right now, if we compared ourselves to the Duck’s cup year…

Hell, we should compare our team to every cup winner every year, not that has stopped anybody.

17. leafs_wallace93 says:

Nash > Kessel ????? WTF, I get Nash is bigger but he doesn’t throw hits, he has no edge and he plays with no heart. Kessel has all the tools of an elite scorer expect size… lighting speed, stickhandling, quick release and he’s strong on the puck. He’ll routinely destroy Nash statistically for the rest of their careers. Kessel is also a better play maker.

Sacrifice that for 54 of aging Rick Nash and his inflated contract? No thanks.

• ZillyHoo says:

Kessel shy’s away from the puck, Nash uses his body more and plays area around the net. But I get what you’re saying. I’m interested to see how Nash matures under Carlyle though, but Kessel might be a surprise. Teemu played pretty while in Carlyle’s system.

• leafs_wallace93 says:

Caryle has to figure out how to use his players not the other way around.

• nordiques100 says:

hey i get it, Kessel is an excellent goal scorer. and if he stays, fine.

But Nash has those skills too. He moves tremendously well for a big man.

I am pretty sure he can stickhandle as well

he definitely wont get knocked off the puck. that’s my only argument here on Kessel. He will get knocked off the puck. he is not strong there at all. he more uses his quickness to elude players. but he is easily knocked off it. he is one of the softest players in the NHL.

Kessel is a goal scorer but so is Nash. Don’t forget he wont the Rocket trophy. He’s proven it.

but like how Kessel had just 30 goals with weak players, he got much better this year with an all star player like Lupul to play with. I am not saying one made the other better, but both helped eachother. I think Nash would definitely produce great numbers if he was playing with better players.

Columbus has shit for players up front.

but anyways, its stuff like this:

it irks me. i said before i saw first hand him shying away from Chris Campoli and Yanick Weber of the Smurf habs. that was 10 feet in front of me. that look on his face is etched in my head. that look of fear.

Please try and not get so bent out of shape with coarse language, name calling and getting into a bitter dispute.

you like Kessel over Nash, I like Nash over Kessel. people disagree. it happens. don’t get too excited about it.

Wallace, your assessment of Rick Nash is so far off, its ridiculous. Watch this guy play, he’s a flat out beast. Throw last year’s poor season out, the team was the worst they’ve ever been and he was just burnt out. If ever a guy needed a change of scenery, this is the time.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

Nash is more suited for the Eastern Conference. We need to be bigger while keeping a talented group (as I have harped for 2 years now.LOL). Nash fits the bill perfectly for what Toronto needs…Big, strong, skates well, is hard to knock off the puck and consistantly puts up 30+ goals. As I wrote though, I still believe it will take Kessel and Gardiner + to get something done.

• toronto77 says:

Like I mentioned before, We can argue till the cows come home about who is better, Kessel or Nash, let’s just say they are equally as good in their own different way.

if your offering Kessel and you want to through in Gardiner on top of that????

I think Kessel straight up for Nash would be good enough.

Noooooo way in hell Nash is that better than Kessel that we have to through in Gardiner who can be a top pairing puck moving defencemen.

If were throwing in Gardiner, than CLB would have to throw in Ryan Johansson.

• leafs_wallace93 says:

Nords, I’ll always put a bit of edge in each post, that’s my way, it’s not personal you’re good people. Style doesn’t exclude substance.

I don’t understand why Nash size matters if he plays like a queen? I’m not suggesting Nash is washed up or anything but I’m not drooling over the possiblity of landing him, I think he’d make a marginal difference in the standings.

My main concern is his age, if he’s not putting us over the top then why gut youth for him? Kessel’s best days are ahead of him and Nash is about to peak real soon with a significantly bigger cap hit.

Players of Nash’s size tend to breakdown physically sooner than Kessel. Kessel reminds me of Theo Fleury and Fleury was quite productive throughout his thirties.

It’s a fair point that power forwards tend to fade into their 30’s. But that’s not always the case, I mean John LeClair, Owen Nolan, these guys definitely slowed down, but they were also still really productive, and effective as 30/30 type guys for a long time into their mid-30’s. Nash is elite talent so he’s not going to fall off too much too soon.

Also, he really doesn’t play like a “queen” (haha), this is where you’re mistaken. I

18. toronto77 says:

It was made public today that Jonathan Bernier has asked for a trade out of LA. I never wanted Luongo but I finally agreed with the idea of acquiring him last week. That didn’t last long, cuz now that Bernier is available, I don’t even want to think about Luongo.

I would not mind if even Burke overpaid a little for him as he fills a great need, and probably the best reasonable goalie available right now.

I previously mentioned that we should offer one of Reimer or Scrivens in the package for Bernier so at least it gives LA a back up to replace Bernier. Someone also mentioned that if Reimer or Scrivens were traded they would want out of there in less than 2 years, but with all due respect, NO goalie in the league wants to be Quick’s back up. So it has to be someone.

19. leafs_wallace93 says:

Buying out Armstrong? An expiring contract for a useful when healthy player in a year when Burke has publically said that he’s really going after big UFA signing? So we pay for nothing over two year, lose a roster player for the season to accomplish nothing?

Again, I invite any Burke loyalists to defend this move.

• TimTheBone says:

I’m not a loyalist in the least but ill give it a go…..

Your words… Useful when healthy… So over the last two seasons you pay 3mil to a guy who plays 79 games… He missed an entire season essentially… You were paying for nothing… Also 9 goals in 79 games is hardly useful… He’s not exactly Jordan staal here either… Not the greatest defensive forward… He was really just umderperforming or tying up cap space …

A buy out equals 1 mil cap hit for two years… Frees up 2 in the process… Seems fine to me… That’s money well used some place else.. it can’t get any worse anyway…

• leafs_wallace93 says:

Sigh… My point is that Burke will have cap room to spare this summer anyway and this will hurt us next season, it doesn’t make sense.

Obviously I understand what the buyout entails…..

• TimTheBone says:

I don’t see how it hurts you…. One mill this year and next .. opposed to 3 this year …. He doesn’t fit into the line up.. taking space both roster and cap wise… One mil is negligible…. It gives you 2 mil more in negotiating space this year…. I really dont see how it can be a negative

• leafs_wallace93 says:

1. It’s two million spent on buyouts as we’ll still be paying Tucker.

2. Next year’s UFA and RFA pools looks to be deepest in a long time.

3. We have a handful of expiring contracts next season and will need cap room.

4. Burke is on the record that he’s not going after any good (‘big name’) UFAs so more cap room short only helps him over pay another medoicre stiff which will hurt us for years or do nothing with in which case we’d be better off just having Armstrong as a deepth forward.

It’s only a million of cap space so just waste it? If your GM had that attitude would it inspire confidence?

#fireburke

Ya exactly. $3 million this year wouldn’t make a difference because we’re still in a re-building mode. But $1 million next year could be a factor. Would’ve rather seen him play out the remainder instead of paying Tucker and Armstrong a combined $2 million on the cap.

20. TimTheBone says:

I’m surprised no one has commented on schultz to Edmonton yet….. 2 year deal

• toronto77 says:

Kinda pissed, but it’s the right decision. Edmonton is on the verge of becoming the penguins of the west, and he picked the right time to go there. It will be interesting to see how edmonton does next year with the additions of Yakupov and Schultz, and possibly Klefbom.

No one’s commenting on it because its boring. Edmonton is boring.

• TimTheBone says:

Hahahah….. Based on your comment it seems like you’re just a sour leaf fan pissed because he didn’t choose your team….

Because honestly Edmonton is far from boring… One of the only west teams I watch because they’re far more exciting than most othrs…. Watching that team fly is very exciting….not boring….and its only about to get much better…. Something is brewing in oil country… And they will be canadas best chance at the cup in the near future….