Leafs in pursuit of Bernier?

Sure, it goes against what Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Brian Burke has previously said.

Then again, what hasn’t.

Regardless, the Leafs are reportedly going after young Los Angeles Kings goalie Jonathan Bernier, not the veteran netminder Burke told a Toronto radio station he was interested in acquiring.

According to Hockey Night in Canada’s Andi Petrillo, the Leafs have made an offer to the Kings for Bernier, who was the backup to Jonathan Quick last season. Quick signed a 10-year, $58 million contract extension last month, leading Bernier to ask for a trade.

Earlier this month, Burke told Sportsnet 590 The Fan the Leafs wanted a proven puck-stopper as an upgrade in net. Now it looks like he’s focused on 23-year-old Bernier, who fits more into the might-be-great category.

“We’re not looking at that avenue,” Burke told The Fan. “A couple goalies that moved are young, unproven guys. That’s an avenue were not interested in. We’ve kicked the tires, looked at all the prices, but that’s not an avenue we’re looking at.”

67 Responses to Leafs in pursuit of Bernier?

1. Steven_Leafs0 says:

things change all the time, Bernier is probably the best option the Leafs have at the moment since Luongo’s price is way too high and there are no other veteran goalies available that has the skills the Leafs need.

As long as the price is not Scrivins (no making another potential Rask level mistake) and it is not a good roster player then why not pursue the option at least?

• nordiques100 says:

There was something else i heard. Dunno how plausible since the same person on twitter said Theodore would not waive his NTC to leave FLA but, they were saying Theo was a 3rd option for Toronto.

I`d do that. Theodore isn’t a hart trophy winner anymore, but he is just a solid vet. He’d probably be pretty affordable to get.

but, he has a NTC, and may not waive. Worth exploring though as well should FLA get Lou.

As for Bernier, its due dilligence. I mean Burke would be dumb to not try and investigate the possibility of Bernier. The rumor was Colborne and a 2nd, or Frattin and a 3rd. I’d do the first one, Colborne and a 2nd. No 1st rounder traded. that’s a key for me. Or even a core guy a la Kulemin, Reilly or Gardiner. If no losses there, then why not? Why not have Reimer, Bernier and Scrivens?

I think though BB is trying to play off both the Canucks and Kings. He won’t pay that price ridiculous price of a 1st + for Luongo.

But, he’d be happy to give up a good prospect and a 2nd for Bernier. and, if it so happens Vancouver can’t get anything better than that either for Luongo, Burke will wait to see if Van will come down in price and take that offer instead. Kulemin and a 1st is ridic. BB should be fired on the spot if he did that trade with Van.

• TimTheBone says:

Is it just me or does no one remember that Jose not only won the hart trophy, but also the vezina that same year?…

People always talk about his hart win but i never hear a word about the fact he won both…. I even remember hearing a tsn analyst talking about how some goaltender recently was nominated for both in the same year and had a chance at becoming the first gosltender to win both since like Brodeur in the 90s or some shit like that……

It’s like people everywhere have forgot Theodore accomplished this very rare feat…. Sure he’s fallen off the map somewhat recently but that still doesn’t diminish his accomplishment in the slightest……

It’s just weird that I only ever hear people talk about how he was a hart winner… But never a hart/vezina winner

And I’m not picking on you Nords… Just you made me think of this topic

• reinjosh says:

I think it slips the mind since he went from that good to just going from team to team.

Honestly, I had forgotten about it until you said it just now.

has any Hart Trophy winning goalie ever not won the Vezina the same year? I can only remember Hasek and Theodore winning they Hart, and they both won the Vezina those years.

• blaze says:

If Florida lands Luongo (doubtful) I would for sure take a flyer out on Theodore. Actually if Luongo goes to Florida assuming Theodore doesn’t go the other way (he probably would) he’d be certainly headed right to TO.

Pretty solid option all around. Perfect contract, has played in a pressure cooker before, had good numbers last year and won’t cost much.

• reinjosh says:

Yeah I suggested that a couple weeks ago. It would be a good short-term move that would allow the young guys to show if they are long-term answers or not.

2. TimTheBone says:

I’m really excited to see Galchenyuk in camp this year….. It’ll be interesting to see what he can do… Get a close look…. Should see him signed to an entry level deal rather soon…. Just working out fine details….

• reinjosh says:

Me too actually. Him and Rielly (I’m sorry, really don’t mean to add a Leaf flavour to the post as well) are really interesting to watch because of the injuries they sustained.

I know Galchneyuk was considered a potential threat to challenge for number 1 but could have been hidden because of the ACL. And it’s been suggested that Rielly, with a similar ACL injury, could have been the best dman in the draft.

But I really think Galchneyuk is going to be special. Even if Montreal has to wait a year (and I think they should…).

3. blaze says:

Holy shit I want Holmgrem as the Leafs GM. Weber accepts a 14 year offer from Philly?? Does Nashville match? They’d be crazy not to. Well played Homer.

Consider Nashville doesn’t match. Say hello to Philly’s new dominant top pair Weber-Schenn (good friends who train together). Assuming they do land him what a make over to the D-core. Incredible.

Now it’s hardly a done deal but this is why I didn’t understand the criticisms directed at the Flyers when the went young up front with an aging D. No one expected Pronger to have a career ending concussion. See how quickly Homer can remedy whatever issues arise?

• blaze says:

On the flip side could this be exactly what Nashville wanted? If ownership approves that kind of money all the have to do is match and they have their man and captain locked up for life.

Seems like a no brainer really, but you never no with some of the small market teams. Four 1st’s from Philly is not worth it at all. Not even close.

• Gambo says:

Potential lineup if Pronger could come back

Pronger-Weber fkasjdghkjadhgjgf
        Coburn-Schenn
        Timonen-Mezaros
        Grossman

Pronger = 6’6 220lbs
        Weber = 6’4 234lbs
        Coburn = 6’5 220lbs
        Schenn = 6’2 229lbs
        Mezaros = 6’2 223lbs
        Grossman = 6’4 240lbs
        Lilja = 6’3 220lbs
        Timonen = 5’10 198lbs

Broad Street Bullies.

• nordiques100 says:

its the 26 million in the one season. that’s the big kicker for the preds.

if i am them, i would ask for the schenn brothers and 2 1sts. i think that’s the best they’re going to do.

what a move by Holmgren. Just genius.

We’ve lamented about giving up 1sts, but we’re talking about Luongo, Stastny, Bernier, those types. its a no-no.

But, if we’re talking one of the top 10 players in teh NHL, well ya, how many do you want???

Its a bold move which of course many Leaf fans will scoff at being stupid and wasteful.

It isnt. Its trying to be the best and getting the best available talents. Weber is just that.

But again, Leaf disease. no player can ever be bigger than the team. If there is a player who is higher in the player rankings than the leafs are in teh standings, its a huge no-no for the organization.

but again, he implies offer sheets but wouldnt sign one. he would never do a deal beyond 6 years, and he certainly wouldnt bother asking MLSE to give 100+ mil or $26 mil in one season.

if this isnt strong enough evidence to suggest Burke has hamstrung the leafs organization i dont know what will. and, he could possibly get a 9 year contract from Luongo if he pays the price Van wants.

So, signing guys to that long is bad, but trading for them is ok? strange, just strange.

• reinjosh says:

IT’s different for the Flyers. They already have a core that could arguably be a top core in the league. They were missing a dman like Weber and giving up picks that will be sub 20 picks make’s little difference to them.

The situation between them and the Leafs isn’t even comparable. Your smarter than that.

• nordiques100 says:

again with the huge burke support. why? you are smarter than that too.

the situation is different. but again, no matter what, burke wouldn’t do it anyways.

like Kovalchuk, Parise, Richards, Suter, Gaborik, and so on and so on.

Heck, he could have done this with Kessel. He refuses to do things that he feels are morally wrong in his mind……BUT ARE COMPLETELY LEGAL AND ACCEPTABLE UNDER THE TERMS OF THE COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENT SIGNED BY THE NHL AND THE NHLPA.

thats the point I am trying to make here. He ties the hands of the organization and will continue to do so even if say the Leafs are in the same position as Philly.

you honestly believe he’d go over the edge like this if the Leafs were a top 5 team? i seriously doubt it.

• reinjosh says:

I’m not supporting him just calling out an idiotic rant against him.

your arguing and calling him out uselessly. Offer sheeting Weber now would be useless. But your taking things a step further and killing him for something that he wouldn’t do if he were in that position? That’s idiotic. Thats moronic. That’s beyond stupid.

Burn him for not signing Kovy (even though he was a destined Devil), Richards (a destined Ranger), Suter (who he said didn’t make sense based on having two 7 million dollar dman going into the CBA. Completely different from your inane argument but I digress), Gaborik (an injury prone star who with Kessel was completely unneeded) and Parise (who likely wouldn’t have desired to come here anyways).

Does it matter what I believe? He wasn’t in a position to make a move like that so why would I burn him over something that has no basis in reality?

And his “morals” go beyond simple “I don’t want to do this”. It goes to building a team he thinks will become a sustainable cap team. Your being ignorant if you think it’s merely morals.

So yes, I will defend Burke on things I think eh deserves being defended on.

I never liked that he didn’t go after Parise. Doesn’t mean I don’t see the reasoning why he didn’t. But apparently I’m the blinded one? Your becoming too much like word nords. Pretentious ignorant bullsh*t spouting out of your mouth without giving it a logical, non-biased look.

• nordiques100 says:

I am allowed to be critical of Burke whenever i want. and in this case I find great reason. if you disagree fine, i am not seeking your approval.

And, the track record, no Parise, no Suter, no Weber, no Nash, no Richards, no etc, it speaks for itself. I just dont understand why since he wasn’t that way in Hartford, Vancouver or Anaheim. He stepped up for the Sedins, he stepped up for Pronger, twice, he got Niedermayer, smartly using his brother as leverage. I dont see that now with teh Leafs. Maybe its cause he’s won before. I dont know.

All i know is that at the end of the day, he’s finished 7th last, 2nd last, 9th last and 4th last in his 4 year term. He has accumulated a lot of young players, but only a couple of impact young players. He has struggled to properly fill several positions. He has made more mistakes than he has success.

He has restricted the Leafs ability to explore all avenues to acquire players not wanting to give out long term contracts. Contracts that are perfectly legal under the terms of the current CBA.

He refuses to push the envelope and do what is absolutely necessary to make the Leafs a better hockey team.

A top 10 player in the NHL would make the Leafs better. Now I dont know if he explored that possibility or not via trade, but i do know he wouldn’t do an offer sheet like that. Its against his morals. He’s even said it himself. whether that believeable i dont know. He also said he wouldnt get a young goalie but just may soon acquire Bernier.

Whatever he meant, irregardless, its not about morals or beliefs. If its legal, why not? Toronto has enoguh funds to cover 10 teams. Its something toronto has never tried before, so wouldn’t it be a great time, with Bell/Rogers coming on board, to go after the best of the best ushering in a new era. especially so, if a player of that calibre is available.

I just dont know how many opportunities like that come up for the Leafs or any team for that matter. Some fans have mentioned lets wait for Getzlaf when he is a UFA. We’ve seen so many times how that’s worked out. See Nash? Remember we were going to sign him? He re-upped 8 years with CBJ.

With players like say Luongo, Bernier, JVR, Kessel, that tier, he likes. But, we’re talking Shea Weber, a clear elite top 5, top 10 NHLer. A clear game changer and clear team changer.

He’d have more impact on the team than anyone else available combined. Including those that have moved on like Suter, Parise, and Nash who has apparently taken the Leafs off the list.

Is it that offensive for me to be a passionate fan, wanting one of my favorite players in Weber to be in blue and white? I hope not.

And yes, sorry for not writing an additional 6 pages to say i understand what Burke is doing and here’s why.

I do. He wants to stay young. He wants to stay cost conscience. He wants to cover himself in case the CBA is F’d up and totally different. He doesn’t want to move Kessel, Gardiner or Reilly, his 3 main guys and disrupt what he’s done so far. He doesnt want to take that kind of risk locking in a player til he is 40 or so when he may not be able to play at age 34 even at a credible level.

I’m just saying, if he considered Luongo, and 9 more years, signed to age 42 in a key spot like goaltending. If he considered that contract, why not feasibly consider the Weber one? Its a logical, reasonable argument.

I think its pretty pretentious of yourself to call anything critical of Burke i’ve said as idiotic and moronic. It makes you sound like anything you say is gospel, everything out of your mouth is correct and only correct. Heck you even made it a point to say you said something about Theodore 2 weeks ago. that’s being pretty cocky and pretentious.

• reinjosh says:

How is mentioning I suggested going after Theodore pretentious? It was merely a sub point. I was clearly not trying to take credit for the idea, just stating I had thought it was a good idea.

And I’m saying all your points about him or wrong or idiotic. Just some of them. Your blaming Burke for the possibility of a world where he might not do something. It’s beyond idiotic. It’s like telling someone you hate them because in an alternate world they might do something against you based on a rule they follow now. It hasn’t happened yet but lets crucify them for it anyways. It’s beyond dumb.

And the track record doesn’t speak for itself. It’s not an absolute he did or didn’t get them. There are other factors that enter into the equation. The biggest one? This team isn’t in the same shape Anaheim was when he went after Pronger or Nieds. And the Sedins were prospects, and more like him going after Kessel (Something you b*tch about).

And I’m not arguing against a long term contract for Weber. I don’t have any issue with a long term deal with Weber or Stamkos or Price but only two of those players really fit a need for us. I’d much rather him spend assets (read: four first round picks) on a star goalie like Price than on a dman like Weber.

• nordiques100 says:

i can say whatever i want about Burke and be critical of him.

I have an opinion. i have that right to express it. I am not looking for your acceptance.

And there is validity to it. again. my opinion. which i am entitled to.

He’s passed on Parise, Nash (mutual), Suter, Richards, Kovalchuk, the list goes on. He has resisted going after big name players.

But, there is none bigger in my mind from the group than Weber. He is on another level. He is a top 10 player in the league which deserves a different approach.

He’d change a whole team. He is an impact player, much moreso than any of the above names. He’s a game changer. He could on his own change an entire team’s fortunes around.

Now I am not certain he would have been talking trade with Poile about Weber, but am pretty certain he wouldn’t sign that offer sheet. It is against his morals. It always has been. He has been the biggest proponent against these contracts.

Now, we could call this fluff, maybe. He did after all say he wouldnt get an inexperienced goalie and now may be closer to getting Bernier than getting a veteran. But i think he really means it this time on those long contracts and how he wouldnt sign one of them.

I found it funny how he has had interest in Luongo, and his 9 year contract, but almost certainly wouldn’t touch making an offer for weber, especially that kind.

Personally i think its a mistake to miss out on that. those opportunities dont come by too often. its like those fans who are insisting we wait on Getzlaf who is free in 2013. like that’s going to work. it never works. remember Nash? he was going to sign here remember?

So, to me, Burke deserves more criticism for missing out.

And yes, i do know why he didnt do it. i do understand his reasoning. I just dont have to like it. Nor, did i feel the need to write the 6 page essay to explain it but apparently i do.

He wants to be cost conscience. he doesnt want to put the leafs in a bad cap position. he is trying to maintain a young team that he can keep around, which may prove troublesome with a big contract in tow.

He doesn’t like the long term impacts of the long term contracts. He doesnt want to risk someone signed til age 43, but only able to really play til age 36. And in this case here with Weber, he is trying to shuffle the allocation of funds from all D to other positions. He moved Schenn, he is trying to rid himself of Komisarek. He is trying to not pile on too much cap hit to the D.

He is also trying to fill other needs first, he is also trying to wait to see other team’s problems come about and take advantage of that a la Lupul.

but again, Weber is a different story.

Its one thing to spend 1sts, or large cash, or risky term on Luongo, a goalie on teh downside of his career, or a suspect no. 1 centre like Stastny, or adding another winger.

Its another when its going after one of hte 10 best players in the NHL. Weber is just that. He’d completely change the Leafs.

and back to being critical of Burke. I have every right to be. the thing is, in his 4 seasons he’s finished 7th last, 2nd last 9th last and 5th last.

He has struggled to keep up with a changing market. He has not built a strong enough team to compete for the playoffs, never mind a cup winner.

He has made more mistakes tahn successes in his term here. He has failed to make the playoffs every year and has misread his team and its abilities. overrated them to some extent.

He has not shown he’s had a plan or a firm understanding of what he is trying to do.

Is he trying to build a winner? I dont know. at times he looks like he is winging it.

his team lacks a cornerstone piece. He has a lot of supporting pieces, but no corner stone. Like a Toews, like a Lidstrom, like a Weber, like a Crosby.

He has not filled several positions, key positions to even be adequate to even be considered a playoff contending team.

Here was an opportunity to have a franchise changing acquisition made possible, with some aggressive, out of the box thinking.

He’s instead boxed himself into a corner with the way he thinks and prefers to do things.

I personally think he missed the boat here. whether the leafs are or are not in that kind of position is moot. He is just too much of an incredible player to not be just interested in, and aggressively pursue. these are teh cases where consequences be damned. I think with a Weber like talent, the benefits will be extravagant. He alone would push the Leafs to another level.

I dont think its a crime to wish Toronto pursued the best available talents. A player who is one of my favorites and a player among the top 10 best in the league and arguably the best defenceman in the league, easier now with Lidstrom retired.

and i think its a bit pretentious on your part to resort to name calling and insults and not allowing anyone to make any sort of opinion negatively towards the leafs without telling them they’re moronic or idiotic. Its also pretentious to believe you are the only one with the right answers on teh leafs. to have your word as gospel while the rest of us is insane drivel.

I offered my opinion on the matter. I criticized burke because again he’s been sitting on his hands. there are times to be patient, but there is also times to strike. i felt this one was one time he should have struck. he didn’t, i criticized.

• nordiques100 says:

shit, it did post my original. it wasnt there. so i had to re-write it again and my memory is shit so i couldnt exactly remember what i said.

so if repeat, my apologies, but in short, i meant the same thing. lol frig i hate this setup.

• blaze says:

Not that I disagree with your post or am trying to defend Burke but that Weber deal good for Philly, Toronto not so much. Four 1sts from Philly are much different than 4 firsts from Toronto.

Weber does not even come close to garuntee the Leafs turn it around. Also I don’t care what people say, yes Weber is amazing but he is not head and shoulders above Phaneuf. Take Phaneuf out and put Weber in and the Leafs still suck.

• nordiques100 says:

U put weber with dion though and u have the most dominant d pair in the NHL.

• blaze says:

Agreed, World Juniors all over again. But still this was a move for Philly and not so much Toronto. If they had Luongo for cheap already maybe but 4 1sts is just too risky right now.

You’re right about the trickle down affect players would most definitely take notice.

• reinjosh says:

It’s being suggested that a trade would happen. Nashville wouldn’t match the deal, then it would trade the picks back to the Flyers for young players like Couturier/Schenn (examples only) etc.

In fact I think that’s the only damn way Weber becomes a Flyer. There is no way in any world that Nashville doesn’t match unless this happens. Losing Weber is simply not worth four first rounders.

And money isn’t that big of an issue. Lose 26 million right away for Weber or 3 times that in not making the playoffs for next 4 years?

Weber will not leave the Predators via just an offer sheet. Poile is not that much of an idiot. He got the owners to commit to opening the purse strings in the media, so that won’t stop him from matching.

Either way, good thing for the Flyers. They show they are serious about getting a dman even if they fail.

And damn, Holmgremn is my favorite GM. Dude just goes for what he thinks will help him and doesn’t give a damn about the cost (to be fair, he’s in a pretty good position to do it).

• dumbassdoorman says:

I am waiting for news that the Devils ask the NHL to investigate the contract being that of cap cicumvention, as it was said $26 million was to be paid in the first year. I know if I were the Devils I would ask. I mean that out the rest of the contract at about $5.7 mil……ala Bobby Lou’s contract. One that the NHL used as an example of those that would not be allowed.

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

yeah the great thing here (if what I heard is true), Nashville can trade Weber immediately to Philadelphia since they are the ones who made the offer sheet. Because of this Nashville should match the contract and tell Phily if they want him it will cost them Couturier, Coburn and 3 1sts or some kind of big package like that.

If not you keep him for the season and decide next season whether or not you should move him. Taking the 4 first round picks that are almost guaranteed to be worse than 20th overall pick each is not a good move for the club. You are much better off to either eat the contract and keep the elite player or eat the 13M to 25M and trade Weber for the best possible deal (amount of cash paid depends when you move him).

4. dumbassdoorman says:

With the one season paying 26 million of the contract, how much you wanna bet NJ asks for a cap circumvention investigation and penalty? I know I would, if I were them.

5. reinjosh says:

So interesting posts by both Strickland and Friedman yesterday.

Friedman said that Burke has kicked the tires on Bernier but expects its a less likely option. Says Bernier doesn’t really fir the need of a veteran mentor that the Leafs have professed a need for. However he said Burke knows that its necessary to inquire and see if price made sense etc.

Then Strickland has two twitter posts. One saying that Bernieir is hopefully he moves before the 30th of July (interesting but not groundbreaking). And two, that LA wants a specific player from Toronto and a pick. That’s very interesting because it shows that discussions may be beyond the “kicking tires” stage.

I’m not a big fan of getting Bernier. Other than age and pedigree, he hasn’t exactly shown much more than Reimer/Scrivens. That along with the potential price is may cost make’s it iffy at best for me. But I wouldn’t say no to getting him. More potential is always better. I would not say no to trading MacArthur although I have a feeling that player Lombardi wants is either Frattin or Kulemin

6. 93killer93 says:

As per Darren Dreger, the preds were working on a trade, with Detroit, San Jose, Philly, and the Rangers being the teams in on Weber. Several deadlines past and Philly got tired of waiting.

• Shoelesshobo says:

I said it once and I will say it again. Trollgren stirkes again.

That being said it was a smart move by Philly but knowing Polie he will watch it.

• reinjosh says:

Yeah I can’t see any logical reason he wouldn’t match based on a simple return of four 1st round picks. That’s simply not enough for Weber.

But I like Trollgren haha

• Shoelesshobo says:

4 first round picks in the 20 to 30 range is not worth Shea Weber at all. Assuming money is not an issue it leaves Nashville with a few options.

1. They match the offer sheet and play Weber for the year and look for a trade later on. They do not have to agree to the NMC/NTC that Philly could of given him so in return they have a fully signed Weber that they can trade to whoever they please. This opens up a great deal of options as teams like San Jose, Detroit, etc would be willing to add the extra knowing they have him locked in for 13 years.

2. They can sign Weber and keep him. Lets face it a guy of this caliber only comes along once in a blue moon. It is not too hard to think Polie just locks him in and says thank you to Holmgren for doing all the paperwork for him. Everyone expects Nashville as a budget team but the owner has came out and said they are willing to spend to the cap. On top of that the 26 million they lose in the first year of Weber playing (Going by what I read about the contract.) Will mean nothing seeing how without Weber they would lose more in loss playoff revenues. On top of all this Nashville is reportedly raising ticket prices giving them more money to play around with.

I have a feeling this turns into a Chris Gratton type of offer sheet. If it did it would sure make this off season more exciting.

• reinjosh says:

I know the Preds were very high on Couturier going into the draft last year. In fact I’m pretty sure it was reported that they had a deal with Boston involving the 9th pick for Ryan Ellis. Unfortunately Hamilton fell to the Bruins and Couturier was drafted by the Flyers.

Holmgren would be the type of GM unafraid to trade away a young solidly developing player for a star player. He already did it with Luca Sbisa for Pronger, I could see him doing it again.

With the Scott Laughton pick they have a potential future replacement too.

It could be a very interesting week. I wouldn’t expect anything to happen till Thursday next week (or whenever the last day is for them to match).

7. dumbassdoorman says:

Ughhhh gonna try this one more time…lol…..one would have to think thaty the Devils will ask for an investigation of the contract being one of cap circumvention. Seeing as the first year pays so heavily, I know I would if I were them. I mean I guess it depends on salary breakdown, but it seems low for what Weber would fetch on the open market. outside of the forst year it averages 5.7 mil per season. even at that the 7.15 hit per season seems low to me for what he could get, IMO. not that any player is worth what he is being paid, period.

8. 93killer93 says:

Weber gets 110mil over 14 years. Cap hit is 7.857 meaning the compensation is 2 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd. Here is a breakdown as per TSN

“In total, Weber will make $14 million in each of the first four years; $12 million in years five and six; $6 million in each of the next four seasons; $3 million in year 11; and $1 million in each of the remaining years.”

• 93killer93 says:

2012-2013 RFA compensation

Here are the compensation ranges:

$1,110,249 or below – No Compensation
      Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194 – 3rd round pick
      Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 – 2nd round pick
      Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 – 1st round pick, 3rd
      Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 – 1st round pick, 2nd, 3rd
      Over $6,728,781 To $8,410,976 – Two 1st Round Picks, 2nd, 3rd
      Over $8,410,976 – Four 1st Round Picks

• reinjosh says:

It’s actually still four 1st rounders.

Cap hit isn’t the number taken. It’s technically the full total of the contract of the number of years the contract is signed, or 5, whichever is less.

Meaning that any deal over 5 years is just divided by 5 instead of the number of contract years.

So it’s 110 over 5, or 22, which is well over the the 8.4~ million dollar limit.

Hence, four first round picks.

• dumbassdoorman says:

lots of trouble responding today, so anyway I expect the Devils might ask the NHL to investigate the contract circumventing the salary cap. I know I would if I were them.

• Shoelesshobo says:

It will be 4 first round picks in comp. It is something like Josh said. I am trying to find the article I read about it but it is proving to be difficult to locate.

• reinjosh says:

Haha yeah I searched all morning for something to prove it to a friend, and now I can’t find it again. It’s frustrating.

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

yeah the complete NHL rule is hard to find but pretty much every page that explains RFA offer sheets mentions the five year rule.

In any case it is definitely 4 1st round picks.

• 93killer93 says:

wow never knew about that.

• 93killer93 says:

Very true. This is going to be an interesting week. I think if they were talking to a number of teams about trading Weber he probably wants out. I think they should match it and trade him in a years time. 4 late firsts isn’t enough for Weber. If Philly would have given him a 1 year offer sheet it would have been much more interesting. But I guess that would be too much of a risk, unless you know he will resign and not test free agency. But the 14 year deal shows he’d be willing to play in Philly for the rest of his career.

• Shoelesshobo says:

Alright I found a copy of the 2005 CBA and started reading through it. This is what I came across.

Any Club that is entitled to but does not exercise its Right of First Refusal
          pursuant to Section 10.3 shall be entitled to obtain Draft Choice Compensation from the
          New Club. The number and quality of draft choices due to the Prior Club shall be based
          on the average annual value of the compensation contained in the Principal Terms (as
          defined in Section 10.3(e) hereof) of the New Club’s Offer Sheet (determined by dividing
          such compensation by the lesser of the number of years of the Offer Sheet or five), based
          on the following scale:

So it will be four first round picks.

To anyone who wants to read through the CBA here is a link to the PDF.

LINK: http://www.nhl.com/cba/2005-CBA.pdf

It has some interesting things in it.

• dumbassdoorman says:

ok one last crack at this, with the way the last part of the deal is structured i expect the Devils to ask for an investigation of the salary cap being circumvented.

9. reinjosh says:

Holmgren is a boss. Big brass balls.

10. LN91 says:

Now that I look back,maybe Burke shoulder went harder for stammer.

And shouldve traded kadri and Kulemin for Richards.

Stamkos/Richards would’ve been deadly and could’ve changed this entire franchise.

Wishful and crazy thinking? I think so

• Shoelesshobo says:

Stammer is a 100% yes. That would of made us better in the long run for sure.

Richards I feel like that was offered. Just Trollgren liked the LA Package more. Also traded him out of the conference.

• reinjosh says:

Should have offer sheeted Stamkos? Damn straight. The kid should be the largest paid player in the league right now (I really doubt Tampa wouldn’t match but who knows)>

And while I would love Richards, I’m pretty sure the Leafs were never given the opportunity to accept that deal.

They were offered Carter for Kulemin/Kadri which they rejected. The same deal offered for Richards and they said they would think about it (and give them some benefit of the doubt. Kulemin coming off a breakout season, Kadri putting up a good AHL season) and then Philly never came back and traded Richards to LA>

No shit, that’s all we talked about last summer, but unlike Holmgren, Burke is a pussy.

• dumbassdoorman says:

He might be a pussy, for sure, however pending on the CBA and aby changes to some of these long term deals, he could also turn out to be pretty clever? I am not saying he is, as truth be told i would prefer Nonis be given the official GM title and Burke just be President.

With some of the pending changes to the CBA the Maple Leafs may have missed out on an era in the NHL when younger superstars became UFA(s in their mid-late 30’s without making a splash. 2006-12 gave teams an opportunity to lock up players on these cheater contracts, many teams made mistakes (Luongo, Vinny, etc.) Other teams took advantage (Ovechkin, Franzen, Carter, etc.) Other teams did nothing.

• ZillyHoo says:

No.. no you wouldn’t.. Nonis does our contracts.. with players… (Grabo, Komisarek, Army, Conolly)

11. TML51 says:

I’m wondering if this is more a case of Burke “firing a shot across the bow”. It almost seems like a classic bait and switch in order to make Vancover panic a bit, but its becoming quite obvious that players don’t want to come to Toronto these days. I would have thought that once Wilson was canned that hopefully TO would have been a more attractive place to play for some. Apparently not…

• dumbassdoorman says:

I think the fans and media scare away players as much or more then Burke, the team or who is coaching. If we were a solid winning franchise it would help no doubt. I mean only in Toronto is it the end of the world that Kadri and Colborne aren’t playing regularly yet or stars.

12. DannyLeafs says:

So after all the fuss about getting major value for Rick Nash, and being comfortable holding him if a suitable deal wasn’t offered, he gets traded for Dubinsky, Erixon, Anisimov and a 1st.

That’s not bad, but I mean considering that they never managed to get any of the Rangers preferred prospects or major pieces, it really feels like they settled. Dubinsky is a solid 2nd line player with an edge, but coming off his worst season. Erixon is a good defense prospect lookign to make the jump, but it seems that his career upside is top 4 steady all around guy, but nothing spectacular. Anisimov is a solid NHLer with top six upside, but at 24, it’s not like he’s likely to explode into a constant 30 goal threat number 1 center, and the Rangers 1st figures to be between 22-30 next year.

I really feel like the Rangers won out big here, and Howson looks like a Chump.

Thoughts?

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

easy win for the Rangers. Nash is a consistent 30 goal / 60 point guy who should be a point per game player (especially on the Rangers). Dubinsky is a 2nd line center at best who produced last year like a 3rd liner and Anisimov right now is a 3rd liner with no where near the top side as a guy like Stepan or Kreider. Obivously Erixon and the 1st are solid depth pieces but are not guaranteed to be great or even half-decent NHLers.

The deal best case for Columbus is a 70 point player for two 40 point players. While that seems like a decent exchange, 40 point players are easy to replace and are signed / developed all the time.

Howson should have told Nash that the offers are pitiful and if he doesn’t expand his trade list then he will remain a Blue Jacket for another season. Maybe find a team who is willing to make an impulse trade and get a top-prospect or player in addition to or in place of the crappy 1st rounder you got.

Rangers win big time. Even if you consider Nash waaaay overrated.

13. NASHNYR61 says:

i AGREE WITH Rob LGR!!!!

14. leafs_wallace93 says:

Just read the whole how to rebuild the Leafs 95 comments and it’s a bit mind blogging….

You can’t garuntee a tank to land a 1st overall pick, for example the year we landed Kadri we were supposed to tank, Fletcher/Burke did the tradional rebuild thing that year and we finished with 7th overall. It’s never a given. Look at NYI they’ve been tradionally rebuilding for years and outside of Tavares their isn’t anything there.

A GM should be swinging for the fences at the draft, in the trade market and in free agency. Burke is on the record saying he won’t sign quality UFAs. That should be enough to cost him his job. Sign good players, draft good players and address positional needs by trade. Most important establish a core of superstars to build around (that’s a big oops on the part of the current management team, oh well I’m sure Brad Ross and Greg McKegg will make awesome 4th liners one day).

So now we have new owners putting Burke on the ‘you’d better make the playoff leash’ sound farmiliar? There is the potential of long term damaged done to our roster this season when we could just cut our losses and axe the irishman this summer.

Can someone paint the picture of what Burke is going to do to improve this team over the course of the next year? If not why keep him?

Again, I don’t know to expect from him (I don’t think anyone does), I have no clue of the direction of this franchise.