Leetch a Leaf!

Info from Sportsnet: Toronto has picked up Brian Leetch, it will include a combo of picks and a prospect back to New York no details have been issued as of yet. Details soon.

410 Responses to Leetch a Leaf!

1. stevescottys says:

This deal did come at a price, however it seems to me this may be a precurser to another deal.

As we know the top 6 on defence are

McCabe, Kaberle, Leetch, Klee, Berehowsky, Marchement

Out are

Berg, Pilar

This may be a little out there and all Leaf fan haters are going to get a kick out of this, but Pilar could stir up some interest to get a bruiser defenceman or big 3rd line centre. Also included in the mix could be Kaberle.

I have noticed that the McCabe has been playing with Berehowsky not Kaberle. Just a thought.

2. BosBrn77 says:

Let me say this…. GONCHAR IS A RFA THIS YEAR!!! So he can’t walk! If he ends up someplace other then Boston, then Boston will be highly compensated for it!!

As for Berard, he was more of a defensive liability then Gonchar! I loved Berard, and I wished he was still hear… but I’d take Gonchar any day of the week over Berard.

And finally… where in the Hell did you hear Boston was trying to trade Murray? That is a bogus rumor that is UNTRUE!! O’Connell has stated he is looking to resign Murray and has never even thought of trading him!

Boston has a lot of contracts ending this year(like other teams) for two reasons….

1) The pending CBA issue!

2) So they have room to sign the core UFAs they want to keep. ex: Murray, Rolston, Slegr, and McGillis.

3. bleedingblu says:

For your information, this deal has been in the works for a few days so it was NOT a desperation move. You Leaf bashers will say just about anything without any support.

JFJ even said in his last interview that the deal was made yesterday afternoon.

Kondratev is a big dman who did not prove anything even in the 7 games he played for the Leafs.

Immonen is too small. He is talented but he would never see the NHL with the Leafs. Not when you have guys like Coliacovo, and Steen.

#1 Draft pick….who the hell is worth getting in this years draft? … and Toronto did get a conditional draft pick which could be used in 04 or 05.

Overpaid?? 2 pawns for a bishop….

See you in the playoffs!

4. Aetherial says:

Agreed that some Leaf fans, and some here, can be irritating. No doubt. Then again, not more irritating than the Flyer fans or the Ranger fans 😉

As far as credible sources, what do you want? People hear stuff on the radio, see it in newspapers or on the web… Yeah most of the media attention for hockey comes out of Toronto.

Sure, a lot of the stuff is garbage… did ANYONE see a rumor about Kovalev to Montreal? Was there any heads up about Clarke getting Markov?

The problem is… there ARE no credible sources. There are clearly some media types who pull stuff out of their ass; in the end though NOBODY exceptt the general managers and some of their staff knows.

So… in the absence of any real sources, people gather whatever they hear. More often than not, it is about the Leafs. WAY more often than not it is off base. Do you *realy* think the Leafs were offering Antropov, Colaiacovo and a 1st… considering what Boston paid, that offer by the Leafs was NEVER on the table.

The other beef I have is this. We, in Toronto listen to our sports station, we go to our sports websites and the U.S. ones and we relay what we hear.

If other people are so upset with us… then go dig up your own rumors. Too many people here contribute nothing, don’t care enough to try to find out information but Looooovvvve to bash the Leafs.

The Jealousy is the attention and the coverage. Leaf fans have more to talk about here, because the media talks about them more. It makes it more fun for us.

5. BosBrn77 says:

6. bigtimeleaffan says:

You don’t know shit, buddy! Leetch is by far better than Gonchar. Gonchar can only play one way and Leetch is a complete package.

I just hope that the Leafs get to meet the Bruins in the playoffs so that they can knock the Bruins’ sorry asses out!!

7. Aetherial says:

8. Aetherial says:

Don’t be so sure.

For depth and injuries, you probably want 8 or 9 NHL-level defensemen on your team:

Berehowsky Berg Kaberle Klee Leetch McCabe Marchment Pilar and Belak.

That is 9. You may not see the Leafs trade any of them until after this season when at least a couple of those guys will be let go to start making room for a few good young defense prospects in the Leafs system.

9. BosBrn77 says:

I doubt Gonchar’s status will change regardless of a lockout! He’ll be a RFA no matter!

10. BosBrn77 says:

And who says Boston CAN’T afford anyone! Boston is a frugal team. A team that doesn’t spend much… not because they can’t… but because they don’t want to!

11. BosBrn77 says:

You can argue all you want… Morrisonn was not the best defensive prospect. Stuart is the best defensive prospect. Jillson, Jurcina, and Alberts are all right there as well.

Equal move for both teams if you factor in age as well. Both teams did good to improve their chances in the playoffs!

12. BosBrn77 says:

Obviously you have never heard of Samsonov? Bergeron is playing very well, too!

And O’Connell said the B’s are not done!

13. ohcanada says:

True…so sorry…

As per NHL.com

14. BosBrn77 says:

Where do you people get the idea that Boston CAN’T afford players? They CAN!!! They just refuse to overpay!!! The Bruins have been one of the most profitable franchises in the last two decades. They can afford more then most think!

15. BosBrn77 says:

Today… I’d take Gonchar. Three years ago, it would have been Leetch!

16. BosBrn77 says:

I honestly think Gonchar will get around 6 million… due to the defensive liability! And I think Boston will go for it if they can negotiate a long term deal!

Just my thoughts!

17. GretzNYR99 says:

Ahhh yes, another moron rambling on…

“We’re the center of the world, blah, blah, blah…”

Let me reiterate this to you in lamens terms, so maybe your simple mind will have a semblence of a chance of comprehending this…

I’m too lazy to put it in bold lettering.

You talk about the Rangers and the rumors, while you’re going on about being the center of the world and having the most rumors on this site and around the league in general. You directly contradicted yourself. Good job, smart one.

The only thing irritating here is how you sit on your soapbox and eat your own words left and right because you can’t stop contradicting yourself.

18. PurpleHelmet says:

Go get *****ed in the ass!

19. GretzNYR99 says:

“You live by the sword, you die by the sword.”

After numerous deals in which Sather shafted teams desperate to dump salary in the form of high profile players, Sather now gets shafted in a deal which should have been the key deal in the Rangers’ rebuilding process. Nice job, Slatshole.

As for Leetch, I miss him already. The only way I would have made this deal is if Stajan, Colaiacovo, Steen, Wellwood, or one of the other top Leaf prospects was dealt along with a 1st rounder. Leetch is still one of the better defenders in the league, and can still be a #1 defenseman on a competitor. He’ll always be remembered as a Ranger, and I think he’ll end up coming back to New York after his contract his done. He’ll want to retire as a Ranger because he loves New York, and if they look better after his contract ends, it will be more of an incentive for Leetch to come back.

Now for Poti and Malakhov deals…

20. Serdy says:

all you obnoxious leaf fans SHUT THE F**K UP!! your making a bad name for the rest of us leaf fans. This was not the greatest trade ever pulled off, and we DID give up a hell of a lot. What are you going to say if we do not win the cup, “Oh Leetch he sucks balls!”.. I cant stand it anymore…I just hope we dont lose in round 1 again…

And also, what is the record for most posts for an article???

21. cwthrash says:

There are credible sources; reporters and people in the business on the inside who have reputations for being honest about what they hear and what they say about it. But unfortunately the number of those men is dwarfed by the number of people simply wanting a headline. Let’s face it, dirt sells. And on boards like this, people would much rather talk about a juicy rumor that is a bit on the edge than they would about a run-of-the-mill rumor that came from a credible. Part of human nature; we’re all like little old ladies sitting around the beauty salon spouting gossip, don’t care too much if it’s true or not.

Many of us would like to have that level of coverage in our cities (most of the time at least). But over time we learn to live with what our city offers on the subject, and if that isn’t enough finding more coverage over the internet isn’t too difficult. Toronto does get more attention but once you understand some of the reasons why, there is a whole lot less envy about it. That’s how I feel about it and I know there are others who feel the same way. There will always be some who, for their own reasons, are a little jealous. But for the most part, we aren’t envious of all the attention you get there and more often than not we are grateful not to have that kind of coverage. I love talking and reading about hockey, but after a certain point it’s way too much. In Toronto, you reach that point much too often. Many times I’m thankful I don’t have to put up with that.

But everyone is different. I’m not gonna bash any team unless I feel they deserve it. The Leafs may deserve it a little but not enough for me to get my shorts in a twist over. Some people on these damn boards don’t feel like making such distinctions, they are in it to get a rise out of others. With Toronto getting the most attention and the Rangers getting the most attention in the US, those causing trouble will be in greater numbers for both those teams. Which is a part of why we see so many people who love and hate those teams, after a while that unending coverage pushes people over the edge (and many of the people around here don’t have too far to go).

More power to you if you like that coverage the Leafs get. I’m not really satisfied with how it is in my neck of the woods, but many times I do appreciate the rather laid back attitude the local media has towards the Thrashers. Always puts me in mind of a great WC Fields quote,

“Everything in moderation, including moderation.”

22. Lint07 says:

How do we spell O-V-E-R-P-A-Y again?

just like I told you, Leafs fans…

However Leetch will, without a doubt, help you out alot in the playoffs.

23. ericthered1961 says:

I’m certainly not in the same league in the knowledge department here as most of you so please excuse the question i’m about to ask….lol….almost worried i’m going to get attacked for just BEING a leaf fan.

here’s my question- Why do so many people here seem to hate the leafs……or is it just leaf fans …..or both?

As for this leaf fan….consider this….yes its been 36 or 37 years since the leafs won the cup…..this WHOLE city loves our leafs…..i think it would be fair to say….we’re leafs obsessed….why….because we want the cup….that would be a nice change. People get excited….i think thats how rumours get started….but as far as gonchar is concerned fergie explained that they were in the gonchar sweepstake but pulled back because the price was too high. Old or no ….injured or not…..leetch should help the leafs more than ther assets traded- plain and simplegood luck all….and lol….lighten up folks….its a sport…..not a war!

24. Bishop7979 says:

I’d be willing to go in on thiat, lets face it, belfour could bend down to pick up a penny off the street tomorrow and be out for the playoffs. thats how wonky his back is. and lets face it, no matter who you have on your forwards lines the team rises and falls on belfours back.

its funny I would have, and may still if it happens, appauded the leafs if they had the balls to deal for kolzig. This needs to be eagles last season and they would have actually been looking towards the future a little bit had they picked up Kolzig both for insurance against a freak penny picking up injury, and to have a starter for the next season . . .

whenever that may be

25. Bishop7979 says:

Tell me your joking right? tell me you dont take 3 or 4 sentences that i wrote posting my simple opinion that the eastern conference is becoming an arms race where one team overreacts to the trade of the day and stockpiles the next best veteran player just to say that they did it this personally.

cuz you know, if you did, take it that personally, and “you can all compare how tiny your dicks are ok? grow a pair, put em in a sac, and stop being complete jackasses” was actually written as a serious comment, and not as a joke, well then I’d say youre the jackass, and your the one who feels like he has a little dick

thanks for reading

26. sharmuta44 says:

Listen I am not a leafs fan but I am a hockey fan who is good friends with Joe Thornton.

I called him this morning to see his reaction to the trades and he said that he wishes the bruins would have got leetch over gonchar. I quote joe as saying that gonchar is the softest d-man in the league and leetch will surprise people in T.O. with his defensive abilities.

Joe wished that they would have signed berrad in the off season he is what the bruins needed all year.

He said the jacobs bros would definitely not re sign gonchar. So he is just a rental player for this years playoffs.

Joe also said that he wishes they would have gotten rid of samsanov over morrisson as he cant stand playing with the selfish samsanov, and thought Shaone would be very good one day.

Good move JFJ, its not easy to make every one happy in the hockey crazed capital of the world.

Good Luck to Leetch as he is truely a class act.

27. Bishop7979 says:

my point is that this is anouther player who is getting on in years, who even though he is still a skilled defensman, he isnt the force he once was, and he isnt wine, he isnt getting better with age.

I’ve also in the past posted comments about teams that refuse to look past this year, there seem to be two types of teams this season, its almost completely black and white, those planning for the future, and those ignoring the ramifications of october.

I am commenting on the fact that the leafs have something like 15 players 31 and over. many of whom are considered to be the core of the team

with god knows what happening to hockey in the next 8 months,I’ve given teams who arent really giving the end of the cba any thought crap for making trades that could further hurt them in the long run.

as i said in the gonchar posts, the bruins have a somewhat young team, they picked up anouther player who hasnt turned 30 yet in gonchar, he is a rfa next season, and although he has abitration rights, the bruins are in a good position to deal with him. They have a number of players who are UFAs Murray, Knuble, Rolston, potvin among them. If Gonchar fits well and he is worth his asking price the departure of these guys leaves room to sign a player who has franchise defensman written all over him. If he doesn fit in, or is a disapointment, he can simply be let go, and other than losing morrison, who is a great prospect in his own right, its really no harm no foul. I can say its worth the risk.

Leetch isnt in the same boat I believe. Isnt he due for anouther year at 6.5 million? Thats a big chunk of change to be throwing on the books next year, plus this is anouther batch of draft picks the leafs lose. How many picks have they given up in the last three years? do they even bother going to te draft anymore? And then theres kondratiev from what I’ve read I vaguely remember him, but it sounds like he was a promising NHL ready defensman, something the leafs could use, given that they have been plugging holes with guys liek pilar berg and marchment, whose been on the press box for how many games now?

As for the other guy, the one pointing to chelios. yes hes 40. hes also been getting hurt more, isnt nearly the player he once was, and how many times has the phrase

“that way he’ll be rested for the playoffs” been said

28. TheDuk says:

I know I can speak for a great many of us at HTR when I say we don’t hate or dislike the Leafs or their fans per se. For many it’s mild annoyance. For those who’s teams are in the same division, it’s hate. And then there are personal issues between users of course…

When a leafs thread starts on HTR it usually gets between 50 – 100 comments (100 is average for the last 10 Leafs’ articles).

According to the favorite team poll, Leafs fans comprise approximately 29% of HTR.

Needless to say it works out to be a lot of reading about the Leafs. A lot of reading about how every 14 year old leaf fan is an expert on hockey and just because you are not from Toronto, you don’t know anything about hockey. A lot of reading about imaginary line combinations.

All of that tends to make some people angry. That’s all it is, unless it’s personal.

More evidence to backup my point? 277 comments on this thread alone (at time of posting).

29. guinsfan4life says:

30. spazmainia13 says:

Thats pretty sad if you think thats something to be jealous about. If jealousy should even be an issue on a topic such as this.

31. wingerxx says:

That’s a stupid thing to say. Leetch is a much better all around defenseman than Gonchar. He is much better defensively…they’ll be much happier with Leetch than they would have been with Gonchar.

32. wingerxx says:

I did the same thing…and I am NOT a Leafs fan, I’m a Brian Leetch fan.

33. Bishop7979 says:

Thats why I said could let him walk. Thats the beauty of the situation. They may have lost morrison who is a good young defencman in his own right, but they gained a potential franchise defencman who hasnt even turned 30 yet, they are in a position to keep him if he plays well, or they are in a position to let him walk, and probably get a first round pick as comensation from whereever he signs.

34. Sn0wman says:

I’d say this deal is pretty fair. I wasn’t impressed with Maxim Kondratiev play during the start of the season so I only really see him becoming a 5th or 6th defensemen and Jarko Immonen our eigth round draft pick, well that says it all. Our 1st and 2nd round draft picks will be late ones and everyone must remember that JFJ pulled this trade off without losing any current roster players and also did it without losing Col, Stajan, Steen, Wellwood etc. Leetch has won 2 Norris Trophies, has won a stanley cup before, has excellent offense abilities (100 point season 1991-92), brings great veteran leadership on the blueline and can pull someone like Kaberle under his wing and improve his offensive game. I have a feeling that the conditional draft pick may have something to do with the Leafs picking up Lindros…i guess we’ll have to see after he plays on Sunday. Welcome to Toronto Leetch!

35. devfanman4 says:

Jagr couldn’t get the Capitals even close to the playoffs this year. The Rangers are in rebuilding mode finally and it’s pretty tough to make the playoffs then.

36. spazmainia13 says:

Or maybe leaf fans just don’t have anywhere else to go so they sit on here and pick apart every rumor that they have heard.

Edmonton was mentioned as one of the teams that Nedved was supposedly going to but you didn’t see 2 weeks worth of what the Oil could possibly give up to get him.

37. Bishop7979 says:

I know that the leafs have 10 players (if you include leetch) that are signed for next year, and of those ten guys they will get about 41 million dollars. when i speak of boston having room to move with gonchar added to their roster its because they have 5 guys signed for through next year that get below 10 million. Boston is prepared, and prepared well

toronto, well not so much.

hows that for facts there coach?

38. devfanman4 says:

I don’t think I actually commented on the trade before…

Leetch will help the powerplay and their defense a little bit, but what the Leafs need is muscle back there. They were manhandled by the Flyers offense last post-season and Leetch isn’t going to help that.

Leetch is a classy player, great offensive defenseman, and a good stay at home, but I just see this as another team refusing to address what they need.

The Bruins picking up Gonchar helps them out in an area they needed help in, an offensive defenseman who could help out the powerplay. Kozlov sort of helps the Devils because they needed a big center, but I don’t think he will make much of an impact here.

There’s been a lot of useless trades going on so far. We’ll see what the teams look like come Tuesday.

39. Bishop7979 says:

And speaking of the future, over the past couple years how many draft picks have they actually kept?

have they actually kept enough over the last couple years to make a trip to the draft worth while?

40. spazmainia13 says:

Does anyone know when/if Coliacivo(sp?) is going to be with the team? I realize that it would take a couple season ending injuries for this season but have there been any attempts to make room for him.

41. Magick93 says:

Well the Leafs did give up alot, but their chances ahe improved considerably for this year. The Leafs and the Wings are the only teams going into the playoffs with two Conn Smythe trophy winners on their roster (Leetch & Nieuwendyk, and Yzerman and Lidstrom). It’d be cool to have them meet in the final.

42. JaYs says:

Great Move JR!!!

Leetch will make us a lot better, we may have gave up a lot but their were other teams in the running so its not like we could have got him for free if he can stay off the IR he will be great in the playoffs for us.

We still need a Witt or Hill type.

43. kovalev says:

go pray for the leafs, now the team will soon need canes and hearing aids

44. Stuv_Dogg says:

I guess this just shows how often your teams have had an opportunity but … CHOKED!

We’re still the center of the hockey universe, and its so obvious that it pains you to hear this!

Go Leafs Go!

45. sportside24 says:

How will they pay 8-9 million a year to him next year?

46. Stuv_Dogg says:

I thought Gonchar was turning 30 this year and had a certain number of years in the league with the same team and therefore was a UFA. I might be wrong though.

Anyways, I agree that both teams did well, I think that neither Gonchar nor Leetch were a steal but I’m at least glad the Leafs got to hold onto their top prospects.

47. Stuv_Dogg says:

Dude, you’re so full of s*h*i*t I can smell it from where I am.

Peca? Niinimaa? Smyth? Are you just drawing these names out of the *****ing air, or are you on drugs? How about adding Gretzky, Lemieux, and Roberto Luongo to your list? Shit, while we’re here, let’s say the Leafs are supposed to get Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, Tiger Woods and Tonya Harding.

You’re an idiot, and every post that you make illustrates that beyond all doubt. Your posts are humourous though, so keep ’em coming! Just proves how smart Leaf fans are and how stupid other visitors to this site are.

48. sixteenstone says:

im not saying for sure a cup is coming but the Leafs have a good shot just like everyone else who landed a deal. Basically i mean Fear the Leafs

49. G_Money says:

Why would we spell Overpay for you when you already know how to spell it? ( sarcastiam)

50. Flyer_Fan says:

tell ya what,

research the years that the Flyers were in the finals.

check the scores of the games, player injuries, “standing rankings” (of the teams in the finals), and anything else you wish, and get back to me.

I don’t really care if you really were the so called

“center of the hockey universe”

The fact is your team sucks!!!

Us “non Toronto” people should treat you “Queefers” like children i guess…

“anything you say loser” will be my response to some of your “winning” comebacks