Loktionov available

86 Responses to Loktionov available

1. doorman says:

For the right cost, he is a player with skill that could be worth taken a shot on.

2. leafs_wallace93 says:

Is there a way to trade Kessel for him?

He’s okay. Not exactly tearing up the American league right now. I would rather grab Zach Boychuck.

the Raps are like the Leafs. How many small forwards can one team have? Gay, Fields, Anderson, Ross, Kleiza, Derozan, Pietrus.

Rudy Gay is really good. I like this pick up a lot.

• nordiques100 says:

He’ll help for sure and it helps him and Lowry are friends. maybe then the Raps can actually keep talented players for once.

A.B i hope is gone. He is useless. The team played better with him gone. They need a big back though. Davis will be missed. At least he defended.

They don’t have a 2013 1st but the draft looks bad anyways. I wonder if BC will be around to finish his work. The team needs one more talent. The East is wide open.

If Burke was still in charge at the 2013 draft, I would have great apprehension over what he’d do.

I saw a strong percentage of him

a) trading the pick
    b) drafting Adam Erne because he is a American power forward like Biggs….but yet another Winger.
    c) draft a Dman
    d) completely dismiss Barkov, Nishushkin, Lindholm, Ristolainen, Zadorov b/c of their citizenship.

With Nonis, I think he gets it. We want a Center, we want a Canadian.

If they go top 3, i hope they get McKinnon or Drouin.
    If they go top 5, then i wouldn’t mind Barkov or Monahan or Lindholm b/c they are all centres.
    If they are between 5-10, Nishushkin would be great pickup
    If they picked in the teens, i’d love to see them get Domi.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

Yea, although I was mostly a Burke supporter Nords, the team USA thing and not drafting for need is a sore spot with me. If you think about the 3 major picks…Schenn, turned into JVR which I’m happy with, Kadri-jury is still out, but time is running low and Reilly-who looks great. Burke really never hit the draft home-run forward we needed. Very disappointing.

• blaze says:

I think the vast majority of experts would agree you don’t draft for need you take BPA, best player available.

Kadri was BPA and an Ontario born OHL product with character. Reilly was BPA and is a BC born WHL product with character. In the last 3 years drafted the most OHL players of any team.

The American rep is blown way out of proportion. I love Cherry too but come on let’s be real. Is it because he repeatedly went to the NCAA for FA signings?

How that could be construed as a negative is beyond me. A team desperate for talent any way possible trying every avenue available to acquire talent. They grabbed Tyler Bozak, a Canadian from the NCAA. Say what you will about Bozak but he has value and they got him for nothing.

Tyler Brenner another Canadian NCAA product, ditto for Richard Greenop. Way too early to adequately judge Burkes drafting record.

I was generally pleased with his picks grabbed a couple guys in the early mid rounds I liked such as McKegg, Finn and Ross. The Kessel trade really affected his ability to draft impact players. The trade for the Biggs pick might turn out to be a mistake but it could work out as well.

The only thing I didn’t really like is I would’ve preferred a few extra high risk high reward long term project picks in the later rounds rather then grabbing goons and plugs. However David Broll looks like a decent pick.

• doorman says:

I think if we were drafting in the teens i would prefer Rychel to Domi, myself. Though that being said if it were late enough in the 1st rd, I would look to go backwards and get a pick. If we did that and moved into the 20’s I would honestly look at Fucale.

• blaze says:

Also why is time running low for Kadri? That bugs me more than anything how often I hear that.

Look at the players drafted after him. Scott Glennie at 8, bust. Cowan looks good at 9. Paarvi-Svensson at 10 (many Leaf fans complained loudly at the selection of Kadri over MPS despite complaining at the same time of lacking Ontario players).

Brayden Schenn that we all wanted to trade up to get has done even less. Most of the 2009 draft class is taking time to develop why does Kadri get singled out??

• doorman says:

Because as Leafs fans we are so passionate and want a winner so badly we are blinded by reality. Now I think Kadri will be a nice player always have. That being said i was never a he is untouchable guy either, if it would’ve helped land a centre.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

As far as Kadri goes. When I said “time is running low” I meant to prove he can be the number 1 centre that Burke thought he could be, that’s all I meant.
          I think drafting the best player is the general rule, but if you remember, when Burke drafted Kadri, he was not the number 7 projected pick. Burke wanted him even though he was projected in the teens if I remember correctly. Therefore, Burke did not draft the so-called best player available.
          As for the Team America comments, it has nothing to do with cherry. It has to do with this
          Burke acquired
          Mike Brown
          Bill Sweat
          Tim Connolly
          David Steckel
          Phil Kessel
          James Van Riemsdyk
          Mike Komisarek
          Jake Gardiner
          John Micheal Liles
          Jerry D’Amigo
          Mike Mottau

That’s 11 American players I can think of never mind draft picks. 9 he intended to make the roster. Considering American’s only account for 20% of the players in the NHL yet Burke acquired enough to make up 50% of his roster is a little out of whack. I never said it was a negative to get Americans but I think it’s pretty obvious Burke perferred them which I don’t think always made for the best move available to him.

• nordiques100 says:

there was a significant lack of Ontario players for sure.

With Nonis, he has now Kostka, Kadri, McClement and Fraser. 4 more than they had last year which totalled zero.

What bothered me was when he said the leafs have a tough time at home because the opponents have 5 or 6 guys who are coming home and playing in front of family and friends when they come to hte ACC. its tough on the Leafs as the opponents are jacked up to play against them due to their homecoming.

Well, then Brian get some home grown talents.

To me, he didnt “get it” what to do here, in this market.

Kadri, drafted by Burke.
              Kostka, signed by Burke.
              McClement signed by Burke.
              Fraser, traded for by Burke.

The only one of those 4 players who would have made the team under Burke is McClement. These are Nonis moves, probably Nonis moves signed under the Burke name.

• blaze says:

Mojo that’s bull and you know Burke made all those moves that’s a fact.

Carlyle picks his team not Burke.

i think nonis had a bigger hand in bringing in some of these guys. Also gm invites the players to camp, coach gets final say.

• blaze says:

He may have it is possible Nonis had a big role under Burke.

But considering they were signed by Burke as far as we know it’s unfair to assume Burke was against these players.

• blaze says:

Normally your comments are bang on but this is on par with now that Burke is gone Kadri will get a shot.

This is the coaches duty.

Besides Kadri…possibly.

None of those players are big impact players. Fraser and Kostka were expected to be depth players in the AHL or 7-8 guys in the NHL. McClement was 4th line centre projection. No imoact players here. Besides Phaneuf and maybe Versteeg, what impact players did Burke acquire, not draft, that weren’t Americans?

• blaze says:

Lupul doesn’t count?? Bozak and MacArthur two top 6 Canadians don’t count. Grabo and Kulimen don’t count?

I’m sorry but this is gettin rediculous.

• blaze says:

Who are all these impact Americans? Kessel and JVR?

Really youre upset at Burke because those two are American, that’s really pushing it.

You’re not wrong but its naive to think coaches dont get certain pressure from upper mgmt to lean one way or another. Unfortunately this all speculative . Sorry, but there isnt much that i take at face value.

• blaze says:

And there is a difference between a homecoming and a 5 year contract. The novelty of the friends and family likely is nowheres near as strong.

• blaze says:

Last season had the most Americans of any year under Burke. It was 30% not 50.

Half the guys you listed are nothing players waiver wire and late round picks who cares.

The majority of them came of happenstance not from nationalistic targeting.

Did Burke go after Kessel because he was American? Or was it because he was a first line sniper RFA that are so rarely made available. Ditto for JVR.

Is D’Amigo a bad choice in the 6th round because he was American? How many OHL kids were drafted as well?

The Leafs need a FO specialist so Burke is able to acquire the 3 year running FO ace of the league for cheap but it’s a bad move cause of his passport?

After not landing Richards (dont care about how hard he persued that’s an entirely different arguement) he lands the second best FA center that was available at the time in a very very low risk move.

To suggest his bias towards Americans is to the point where he didn’t make the best deal available is borderline rediculous.

Burke wanted Lupul and Shultz but had to settle for Gardiner not the other way around.

• blaze says:

Bill Sweatt was a throw in in the Versteeg trade and it was only his rights after which Burke decided to give a contract spot to Marcel Mueller instead.

Mike Mottau was signed for the AHL by Dave Nonis.

I’m sorry realistic but you’re really reaching here and throwing out stats that don’t exist.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

Actually Sweatt said he wouldn’t play here. How is JVR, Liles, Komisarek, Kessel,Gardiner, Connolly, Brown and Steckel happenstance or waiver wire? Steckel Yes. If a GM built a team of 40% Swedes people would say :the guy likes his swedish players”. If he then drafted at about a 40% rate of Swedes then the same would be said. I don’t see a problem with stating the obvious. Burke seemed to like American players. By the way…how many teams have more americans on their roster or in their system than the Leafs? I have no idea. Just curious.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

BTW. I never said we played at a 50% american rate. I said Burke aquired enough americans to take up 50% of the roster.

• blaze says:

The 50% thing doesn’t even come close to flying, or 40%. At its highest ever it was 30%.

Kessel JVR and Gardiner were the best pieces he could get back not because of their nationality. The others kinda played out that way.

The only argument I have seen people make that has merit is his bias for the NCAA which is likely true but it’s not like he ever selected from the collegiate ranks at the expense of the CHL.

He has drafted extensively from the OHL and WHL and mainly dipped into the NCAA FAs to supplement our lack of draft picks.

• blaze says:

It’s just one of the anti Burke comments that I feel get exaggerated greatly.

Its like a comment I have heard over and over since Burke was fired, I’m not accusing you it but it drives me nuts regardless.

“Oh now that Burke is gone maybe Kadri will get a real shot.”

One of the most moronic things gets said repeatedly. Ya Burke the guy that drafted him and held onto him despite multiple trade offers and fans deeming him a bust.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

Hey, As i said, I was mainly a Burke supporter and stuck up for him when others wanted him gone. Some things I will admit bothered me. BTW I know at the highest it was 30+% of americans on the Leafs.
                    Since you didn’t answer which NHL team had more americans on their roster. I don’t know the answer, but my guess is none. How’s this. Of all the americans Burke acquired, how many did he trade away? You don’t find it odd that we had so many americans but he wouldn’t trade any to improve the team? So it’s just coincidence that Burke acquired so many americans and didn’t trade any? I’m sorry Blaze, I find it hard to believe it’s just a coincidence that after all the players Burke moved, I don’t think any were Americans.

6. Steven_Leafs0 says:

I love how everyone goes on about how American-biased Burke was. 90% of the guys he got were either the best player available (Kessel, JVR, Gardiner, Biggs) or were his only option without overpaying or sacrificing one position for another (Connolly, Komisarek, Liles).

Also anyone remember the last team he built? The Ducks? What nationality was 90% of that team again? How many Americans?

Yeah, that’s what I thought.

Biggs wasn’t the “best player available.” He was one of a handful of guys to choose from with that pick who all had a relatively equal shot at making it. He went for the big American, hence his American bias. It’s not a knock on Burke, it’s just a bias he happens to have. There is no denial.

I can’t believe he signed Komisarek to a 5 year deal worth over $20 million. I couldn’t believe it the day he signed it, but it also doesn’t surprise me Komi is American. Similar things can be said about Connolly.

The American bias is undeniable. That alone doesn’t make Burke the worst GM ever, but you can’t just ignore it.

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

yeah that is wrong. Who other than Komisarek was available? Same with Connolly, he had MASSIVE pressure to win and we had a HUGE hole at center. So Connolly was signed (at a no risk contract btw). Biggs was projected by most to be the best player left at no.22.

While sure you can argue bias, then why did he pick Canadians with the other high picks? Percy, Rielly, Finn, there were good Americans on the board with most of those picks, hell Burke picked more Ontario natives than ANY other team, should we bitch that he is Ontario biased?

He picked up arguably the best players he could, who cares if they’re American? They adopted our style of hockey anyway absolutely no big deal unless your prejudice.

Sorry for ranting but I don’t get the big deal, it isn’t like he said heck no to a Stamkos level player to sign a Connolly, so why does it matter so much?

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

I hate the “no risk contract” crap. How the hell is overpaying a guy at the tune of $5 mil a year against the cap for two seasons…”no risk”?
          It’s almost impossible to move the contract and now you have less cap space available in trade if you need to take on money to improve the team via trade. This is why he is buried in the minors, to create more cap room. I hated that signing at the start. I can’t believe someone would still defend it. Two years or not, it was a horrible signing.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

It’s not wrong. No one is saying anti-Burke crap. There did seem to be a bias by Burke toward American players. Doesn’t make him a bad guy, it may be the style of player he perferred. We don’t believe that was in the best interest of the Leafs.
          Here’s the facts below. No draft picks or nothing signings included. Just Burkes more notable signings and trades.
          Via Trades-Kessel USA, Phaneuf-Can-Aulie-Can-Sjostrom-Swe
          3 USA, 5Can, 2 Swe
          Via trade-Brown USA, Versteeg Can, Sweatt USA,Lupul Can, Gardiner USA, Colborne Can
          3 USA, 5 Can
          Connolly USA
          Via Trade-Liles USA, Franson Can, Lombardi Can, Steckel USA, JVR USA
          4 USA, 2 Can

Totals 10 USA, 12 Can, 2 Swe

Left on the team or in the organization:
          8 of 9 USA (Sweatt refused to come here), 7 of 12 Can, 0 of 2 Swe.

The only American Burke traded away that he thought could impact the Leafs…Christian Hanson.
          He traded Canadians Beauchimen, Versteeg, Schenn, Armstrong, Aulie and others as well as getting rid of Swedes Gustavsson, Sjostrom, Stralman.

How you can deny there was a pattern I have no idea.

there were way better players avail over komi. Also, if Burke hadnt taken July 1st off last year maybe he doesnt have to over pay for Connolly. Coulda had Fleischman, didnt like the price- this was Cammalleri all over again.

• doorman says:

UMMM, I am gonna go out and defend Biggs selection by Burke here. First he was the only player avail with his specific skill set. There was nobody else there that is a big strong pwr fwd with decent hands and can fight. Now I am not saying we couldn’t have picked another good player, but i don’t think it’s cause Biggs was American. And, Steve there were other deman avail we signed him in Beauch, lol.

• leafs_wallace93 says:

GMs stick with what they know. Burke was a USA hockey guy so he’s somewhat of an expert given his ties. Holland does the same thing with Swedes. Is it a bias or is it a niche?

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

I don’t care if we call it a “niche”. It’s the “doesn’t exist” part that is ridiculous to argue.IMO
          It doesn’t matter what Burke did in Anaheim or Vancouver. We are talking about what he did here. Here, he liked American players. Why? I don’t know. I’m not saying they were bums, he brought in some talented American players. Maybe he thought they would handle playing for TO pressure better since they weren’t from here. Who knows? The fact is, he acquired Americans but didn’t trade them. It is what it is.

7. blaze says:

Honestly I understand everyone like home grown players but this is approaching Habs fan territory demanding more French speaking players and coaches really what is the difference.

8. blaze says:

In reply to realistic your proof of Burkes bias and how it negatively impacts the team is how he acquired and retained 8 of 9 Americans but only retained 7 of 12 Canadian and 0 of 2 Swedes. Also his last is irrelevant his bias didn’t come into play until he came to Toronto.

Ever hear of the line you play the cards you’re dealt? Not to mention those Canadians were traded for other Canadians.

The only Canadians Burke traded for Americans were JVR and Garidner deals the majority of Leafs fans are very high on.

So you’re upset Burke didn’t trade Kessel must be it.

9. blaze says:

Also to realistic. The Leafs have 6 Americans on the roster, 5 when Steckel sits which is usually the case.

New York Rangers have 11.
    Buffalo have 8.
    Pittsburgh have 6.
    Montreal have 6.
    Washington have 5.
    St Louis have 5.
    Ottawa have 5.
    Anahiem have 5.

So as you can see Toronto is firmly in the bottom 3 of the league for Americans. Starting to see how foolish this is?

NO I don’t. We were referring to who Burke played which was
      That makes 8 or second most in the league according to your statistics which probably include every player on their roster and not their nightly roster.LOL Nice try to manipulate the numbers.LOL Maybe Nonis is prejudice against Americans and that`s why we have way less now.LOL
      Then again, Nonis is just playing the cards he was dealt.LOL

• blaze says:

We have way less now?? Connolly got out on waivers…. Who else? You act lie Carlyle has no control over his team. Connolly would’ve been a cut and who brought Carlyle in? Burke.

I used the exact same stats for every team as Toronto. Look em up yourself even if Toronto played 8 how on Earth is that out of whack and biased compared to everyone else??

Joey Crabb had a great year last year notice Burke let him walk? How can that he he was American!

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

It’s out of whack cause he started with 2.

• blaze says:

There’s more Americans in the NHL every year get used to it. There’s only 2-3 teams in the NHL right now with 2 Americans on the roster.

Notice how shitty the team was then Burke had to acquire talent anyways possible and unfortunately for you that included Americans, must break your heart.

Wait,blaze. You just said Burke “acquired talent ” was this a typo? Antropov, Blake, Stajan, Poni, White, Kubina all shipped out early in the Burke era, replaced by players who performed more poorly, which apparently was actually possible. Why are defending the man who ruined our lives the past 4 years?

• blaze says:

That’s fair. I’m not saying his moves were necessarily smart. Besides being overpaid which we all knew I was actually excited for Komisarek, who knew he’d play so poorly for Wilson.

I respect that he wanted a clean slate but he did make mistakes along the way for sure. Some such as Wilson he inherited.

I actually liked Burke and think he did a lot of good. Slower than expected but on the right path. I liked his combatitive nature I despite TO media.

I don’t defend Burke out right he was far from perfect. His ethics and closeness with Bettman drove me the most nuts. Not even trying for Gaborik or Richards is a sticking point.

I mean I understand not wanting to do the Kovalchuk contract but ignoring Gaborik? Ignoring Cammaleri?

And he has gambled and lost. Honestly if he had never made the Kessel deal everyone would sing his praises on how he rebuilt everything. Which is unfortunate that it worked out the way it did.

Its not unfortunate it worked out like that. He didnt upgrade the team, demstrating terrible coach and player evaluation from day 1. Which in essence is his entire job. He failed miserably.

• blaze says:

I don’t think you could say he failed miserably there’s a lot of good pieces in places.

I would have done a way better job. Not trying to be a jerk but its true. The pieces he left are not nearly impressive enough. Hell, even JFJ left us with Kulemin, Gunner, Frattin, Reimer, Komorov.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

I have already said I have no problems with Americans or anyone else many many times. I don’t name call you, I don’t state you say things you haven’t. Deal with what the debate is, not the childish crap. We are all intitled to opionins whether you like them or not. In this case, You are way off line of what I have been trying to say. Get over the “you’re prejudice” crap. You are the only one who sees it that way. Myself and others have tried to say, it’s about Burkes choices which SEEM(only Burke knows, you don’t) to lean towards USA born players. That’s the way it looks. We are allowed to speculate if there was bias whether it offends you or not. Funny thng is, I don’t see you call Nords or Mojo prejudice and they are basically saying what I have…or even backing it.

• blaze says:

Asking me if I even read the comments or that I ignore comments and assume Im right followed by multiple sarcastic comments followed by multiple sarcastic LOLs don’t expect me to be sunshine and lollipops.

Either way I have no interest in personal attacks and won’t continue doing so.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

I was not trying to be sarcastic when I asked if you “even read my comments” I was seriously asking. You kept insisting I was saying things I didn’t. Wasn’t trying to insult you. I actually think you have hockey knowledge. I don’t agree with all of it, but you will find I will say so if I do.

• blaze says:

Burke gave Crabbs spot to Komarov explain that one.

I think Crabb wanted 2 years and a 1 way deal. Anyway’s Burke has a bias not uncontrollable American loyalty .

• blaze says:

That’s the way it’s made to sound. His bias is way overblown. Can anyone name a move that was purely of bias?

Possibly Komisarek.

• blaze says:

You can say its a bad move but I don’t see how you can it was bias.

He was easily one of the top 4 dman available. Just had his first All-Star appearance (undeserved) and was exactly the type of big mean bruising defenseman we needed.

Honestly if we had Carlyle at the time instead of Wilson Komisarek would’ve been a much much better Leaf as his game under RC has been very sound.

Doubt it. I never thought Komi was very good for Montreal. I was very upset that day after hearing the term and dollars, and Kubina being dealt to make room. This signing sparked the beginning of Burke’s poor evaluation of players, the current team at the time and ultimately gave him the unfortunate confidence to make the Kessel deal.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

Forget it Mojo. He has his opinon and that’s fine, it’s not going to change. You’ve seen all the ponts I’ve made and he ignores them or calls me “out to lunch” or whatever.LOL Here’s what kills me. If a Canadian born GM who is very involved with the Canadian International program took over the Rangers and over 4 years they went from 13 USA born players to 4(same as Burkes 2 up to 9 USA when he was done) and he replaced them with Canadian born players and the team got worse…I think something would be said also.

10. realistic_leafs_fan says:

That is only of acquired players I’ve shown. He traded many more Canadians and players from other countries as well.
    Do you even read before you comment? I said he brought in some talented Americans. I also said I liked the JVR trade and I am not against the trade that brought Kessel. I have also stated I like Kessel. There is no prejudice here. I like players that play hard no matter where they are from.
    Burke became more known and more involved in USA international hockey after he helped build Anaheim into a champion.
    The cards you’re dealt huh? So, his only opions were Americans? You really believe that? Then I guess other GM’s didn’t want any American players he acquired that’s why he didn’t trade any or did’t demote Connolly but Nonis did because the cards changed? So, when he got Komisarek, Brown, Steckel, Liles, Connolly for instance, he had no choice because NO other players were available? No GM’s would part with any other players or no other free agents were available? Really?
    You want the option to Connolly that Burke had? Stick with Grabovski and Bozak and save the $5mil for something better. $5Mil for Connolly was a joke considering his health history and production.
    Let’s never mind the facts and just say you are right.LOL

• blaze says:

Lol you are out to lunch. Save the 5mil from Connolly for what exactly?? Connolly was the second best FA on the market after Richards, who should they have signed Handzus?? They had lots of cap space what was the issue save money answer that one.

Connolly prevented us from doing nothing. Carlyle would’ve cut him from camp at which point Burke would’ve waived him, why the hell would ya sign a guy and not even give him 1 season? The team was looking to be competitive not have Bozak, Grabo and two AHL centers.

It was a gamble that risked nothing, lost nothing and didn’t work out. He went PPG for the first 10 games with Kessel it was worth a shot.

Komisarek signed along with Beauchemin. Two of the top 4 FA dmen available along with Schnieder (semi retired) and Ohlund. Who the hell cares that one of them was American??

The Leafs desperately needed a FO guy and it just so happened one was available. Just so happened he was top 3 in FOs 3 years running and was 6’5, also a need. But he wasn’t Canadian so Burke shoulda passed.

Mike Brown and JM Liles are still productive and useful members of the Leafs, what’s your issue with them??

I proved to you with facts the Leafs have if anything below average amount of Americans so tell me what exactly is your prejudice against Americans because Apparantly theyre not welcome on your team.

Or if that’s too much for you to answer conversely show me which pro American move Burke made that was a result of his bias and to the detriment of the Leafs.

Tell me if the signed Connolly who should they have signed? What did it cost them? And don’t say cap space because we had lots even after his deal and we had nothing to use it in anyways nor the assets to acquire something meaningful.

They could’ve had Fleischman for the same price as Connolly but were afraid of the term. He also balked on Talbot. Plenty of mismanagement and lack of activity on July 1. Over pays for Connolly July 2.

• Gambo says:

I’m 100% with you here. At the time, Connolly seemed like a perfectly logical idea. They missed out on Richards, no one thought Bozak was capable of being a first line center, there weren’t any trade options and Connolly was the next best center in free agency.

The Leafs gave Connolly a two year contract which was harmless, yes over priced, but it didn’t hinder their ability to make any moves.

11. blaze says:

I’m happier gambling with Connolly at 2 years without a doubt than either of those two.

• blaze says:

At the time** I don’t judge his moves with 20/20 hindsight.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

Neither have I judged with 20/20 hindsight. If you don’t want to give me credit for realizing Connolly was a bad signing from the start, that’s your problem. I’m sure that Mojo or some others could back me on the fact that when Burke signed Connolly that I was one that hated the signing from day 1.
        As for sign who else…Mojo mentioned an alternate that now you seem to somewhat agree with and apparently I was “out to lunch” when I said there were others.
        If Burke did not think anyone would fit the mold, he shouldn’t have signed anyone. He could have saved the money to take on contract if needed via trade(which I already explained). If you have cap space you can take on a poor contract via trade to get a quality player you wanted. In otherwords, if a GM says “Ok we will trade (quality player) for your guys if you take on (poor contract) as well.” we could do it. Without the extra cap space we need the other GM to take back salary(Connolly) which could kill the deal.
        If having cap space is not important then why is everyone talking about the great position Toronto will be in after this year because they have so little money tied up in contracts?
        I won’t debate the USA thing with you anymore…it’s pointless I think you would agree.

Fleischman is basically as good, as old, and as productive as Grabo. My opinion is we missed out.

• blaze says:

Probably ya but even still it’s hard to say how he would’ve done in TO or if he ever meshed with Kessel.

At the time it would’ve been a higher risk move so I understand why. For a little bit it seemed like Connolly was goin to work out.

Well he couldnt have done much worse than Connolly . And despite the term, Fleischman would have been less risky. Connolly was the riskiest option available given his medical history. The man has been injured more than hes played in his career. No surprise he missed bunch of games last year.

• blaze says:

I disagree it was lower risk. Connolly was a higher injury risk but the contract was less risky. It didn’t prevent us from anything. What salary dump deals happened last year that the Leafs missed out on?

Flieschmann was higher reward no doubt but a riskier contract. What if hypothetical he never jelled with Kessel and Bozak was stil on the top line. Grabo is still here and Kadri gets pushed off the team.

Or he gets pushed to the wing and Frattin is pushed off the wing. What if he wasn’t that effective at all here, lots of players play better in low pressure markets as opposed to Toronto. 3 more years at 4.5 is inherently riskier than 1.

Considering we were going into a lockout with much uncertainty it was a low risk move that didn’t work out. It didn’t come down to Connolly or Fleischmann and Connolly won out because he was American.

How come all these talented players have such a hard time gelling with Kessel?

Kessel needs to go into some dirty area’s and become a legitimate player. This Jason Blake perimeter bullshit is getting tiresome.

12. doorman says:

Fleischman, this is exactly the type of signing I am glad we didn’t make, again. He is a winger, we have wingers, we needed a centre, period. It has nothing to do with him as a player, but more of what we didn’t need. Should they have made a bigger pitch for Richards, yes. Who he signed and traded for well, we are in better shape prospect wise now then we have been in a long, long time.Like I said I won’t throw Burke under the bus he did some goodthings, but there are many he could have done better. As for if any of us could have done a better job, well sorry but i doubt it as much as it pains me to say it, lol.

Fleisch plays wing and centre.

Also they mad a pitch for him but went shorter than the 5 years he was seeking on the term… then proceeded to extend Grabo to a 5-year deal. Whatever…

Bottom line, at $4.75 million Fleischmann is a versatile, gritty two-way player who makes our team better. Burke missed out on another. Justify it anyway you guys want. I really am not understanding all this Burke support. The proof of his failures is all around you. Have I not brought up sufficient evidence of his shortcomings?

• doorman says:

Ya but he is not a centre IMO, he is a winger that plays some centre. WE need a true centre, period.

Well, no offence doorman, but your opinion aside, he is a centre. He played a whole season at centre for Washington a couple years back and was pretty successful there.

Hey nice job on the respect here boys. Blaze, realistic – great example set of why I like this site. Good debate, got heated, nice back and forth, then a handshake.