Major Announcement in Montreal this afternoon?

The Montreal Canadiens have called a news conference for 4pm et/1pm pt where president Pierre Boivin will make ‘an important announcement regarding the club’s hockey management.’

The latest news is that Gainey has not been fired but will instead be stepping down

Pierre Gauthier will be an interim GM

The Canadiens are 28-26-6 this season and are sixth in the Eastern Conference standings.

50 Responses to Major Announcement in Montreal this afternoon?

1. dumbassdoorman says:

Odd timing but better than after the deadline if there is going to be a change? Does it just stop at Gainey though?

2. reinjosh says:

yeah at least they get 3 or so weeks before the deadline so the replacement could effectively get some shit together
    but still, weird timing.

3. reinjosh says:

Gainey is gone! Pierre Gauthier is taking over
    shocking timing but not all unsurprising, this is a long time in the making

4. careyprice31 says:

This has to be the best news i have heard in hab nation for a long time. This announcement has made my day woot. Pierre Gauthier should probably step down also. Lol rumor has Pierre mcguire trying on a new suit downtown. Im hoping  he becomes the new GM.

5. careyprice31 says:

Chances were Bob wasn't going to do anything anyway cause hes a zombie of a GM. Theres a reason hes out thats cause he cant deliver. Hopefully pierre gauthier does some smart things now. (I highly doubt it). I see him trading our first round draft pick for brendan witt. Don't know why lol

6. reinjosh says:

we can give you Exelby for a 2nd and a 3rd lol
    better than witt and cheaper 😛

7. careyprice31 says:

lol. Lets see if guathier does it 😉

8. HABSSTAR says:

I would sooner be shot with a ball of my own shit then have McGuire as the new GM.

9. HABSSTAR says:

I would guess interim GM comes in and holds the fort until a new one is named and then the new GM will clean house.  Cue the return of Savard theories…  lol

10. HABSSTAR says:

Carbo's revenge?

11. dumbassdoorman says:

Like him or not Pierre is a good hockey man and well respected. I do not think he would be a bad G.M at all. Plus he has been part of a team that has won it all, so he has an idea of what it takes.

12. reinjosh says:

but hey if Gauthier pressures Nonis and Burke to take a first rounder, I guess we would have to take.

13. TimTheBone says:

Yeah dude he's right…. Like him or hate him, Pierre Maguire would by no means be a bad choice for GM…. he's coached at the highest level, Been a GM already, an assistant GM, and Won a Cup ….. He's one of the best Hockey minds in the game today… knows the players across the league… AND a HUGE factor is he's very well respected throughout the league Management and players alike…. So he indeed would be able to attract more players than Gainey could…. He's also VERY passionnate about the game…. In my opinion i would be extremly excited to see him named GM….

14. dumbassdoorman says:

I personally hope they don't hire him though…lol…i like him on TSN too much

15. JoelJoel says:

Yeah, that would be a bad scene.

McGuire is retarded

16. HABSSTAR says:

All those things could be said about Gainey and it just didn't turn out in Montreal.

I just feel the guy is too high strung for a place like Montreal.  He'd hang himself pretty quick there with the media I think.

But it's interesting to think about who the replacement will be.  I can't see Gauthier staying in the position long term.

I gotta think this is a good decision by the Habs. I haven't been overly impressed by Gainey's moves, and I think he made a really questionable signing in Gionta at $5 mil this summer. His other signings were all routine, good job on bringing in Cammalleri but his huge shake up did not exactly improve the team.

I'm sure there are better options out there for a GM, so now we'll see who comes in.

18. HABSSTAR says:

Most of them will be disqualified cause they can't speak french.  That's the big problem in Montreal, you exclude a pretty big portion of the talent pool based on language.

I'd prefer a winning unilingual german GM then one who can speak both english and french and doesn't produce a serious team.

That's true, they should forget about that rule. Do you think people would really freak out if they hired an anglophone and explained that they felt he was the most qualified for the job. Would most people really mind?

20. TimTheBone says:

but Gainey hasnt been himself since the death of his wife then his daughter!.,… terrible things to be going thru so i dont blame the guy… but he just wasnt focused…

Pierre is from MTL and loves the city…. knows how the media works… and is not swayed by anyone…. Hey we can argue all night but until it actually happened… we would never truely know

21. TimTheBone says:

Well unfortuneatley…. in Quecbec yeah they would mind big time….. it would be like a 50/50 situation… half the francophones wouldnt care they want they best man for the job but the other half… mostly the separatist grouping would scream bloody murder…. its an unfortunate situation that there is such prejudice still here in quebec… i live here in MTL and see it most days…. it really handicaps the organization in my opinion…..

I personnaly was calling for Marc crawford to be Carbos successor…. Crawford is bilingual and i believe could have implimented a better system…

Hell Don Lever from Hamilton wouldve been a better choice in my opinion..

22. reinjosh says:

it handicaps the entire province
    separatists annoy me

23. DandoEagle says:

Best quote ever!

24. TheLeafNation91 says:

How is Gauthier going to try and fix this up??

They have 45 million in cap space tied up and they still need to sign Plekanec, Pouliot, Halak, S. Kostitsyn, Lapierre, and Price…

Im guessing some of these guys will be traded…

God will only know, but we lost 4/5 of the Muskoka five (Sundin, Tucker, McCabe, Kaberle, Kubina)…With Kaberle maybe the biggest asset besides Sundin…

Also, Blake, will never know how we got rid of him…Never

25. the_word says:

The question is how long until Montreal hires another alumni from the glories days?

Patrick Roy a possible fit? Ken Dryden? Kirk Muller? Chelios as a player/GM?

26. TheLeafNation91 says:

Hey mojo…i was stretching on the track around 6 40 and might of saw ur class

27. dizon says:

wow the fans got their moneys worth tonight.

what does everybody think about kadri? he didnt look out of place
  28. TheLeafNation91 says:

Well duh it was!! it was his first NHL start and he did alright and he's gonna be good

I love the young Leafs. Bozak, stahlberg, kadri, kessel, Phaneuf, Schenn are gonna be here for a long time

29. TheLeafNation91 says:

A little comments from  Tonights game:

-I'm content with giving away a top pick at this point, these Young Leafs gave us a preview that they can be really good in the future. Kessel, Bozak, Kadri, Stahlberg, Hanson, Phaneuf, Kulemin, Schenn should be here for a long time. I'm excited

-I don't blame Giguere…The Sharks goals were "fortunate" for the most part, he played well

-Ian White who???? Gunarsson and Schenn are quietly make us forget that he existed. With Phaneuf taking the lime light. Schenn and Gunarsson are slowly improving their games. Schenn will be very good one day, like we all believed

30. bbruins37 says:

good site i found that has in-depth breakdowns of playoff scenarios for all sports. youcan break down a team's remaining schedule based on weighted odds based on the teams' current records or looking at it that each team has a 50/50 shot at winning any given game.

best stat i saw was that the new jersey nets have a 3.8% chance of making the playoffs…if they finish the season on a 32-0 run.

31. dizon says:

i didnt catch the game, how were the lines set up?

32. bbruins37 says:

oh yeah, and very weird timing for this. it'll be interesting to see what gauthier will do with this team before the deadline, as they're sitting in 6th in the conference (although with the most games played).

33. TheLeafNation91 says:

I believe

34. HABSSTAR says:

True enough.

I've noticed that Gauthier isn't talked about in the "interim" sense…..uh-oh.

35. reinjosh says:

nice link
    thanks man

36. HABSSTAR says:

Most people I feel wouldn't, but the remaining minority would howl in protest like they were being murdered, and raise so much hell it might as well be the majority of people…

I also get the idea you'd end up with two or three douchebag reporters who would spend their time trying to run whoever it was out of town. (See KOIVU, Saku)

37. honestabe says:

Holy crap!!!!!!!
    I go away for a week and a half and all hell breaks loose.!!!!!!
    Phaneuf and Giguere traded
    Hit***** fired
    Kovalchuk traded
    Gainey resigns.

Did I miss anything else?

38. HABSSTAR says:

Chelios as a player/GM.  Awesome!

I hope they stay away from Dryden, if they want to bring in Roy they should bring him in as an assistant right so that he might be ready in a couple years.

39. reinjosh says:

Leino got traded too
    but yeah an eventful week

40. hockey_lover says:

The only problem with Chelios being the GM is that if he doesnt get his way, he'll cross check other GM's.

Sure, WE'D find it entertaining but they might not!!! 😛

they wrote about this website in the toronto star at the end of October when the Leafs had just 1 win. Our chances to make the playoffs were like 2.6% or something. But then after winning the next game we shot up to like 5.4%. I guess early in the season, so much weight is placed on each game.

Well if you looked at the top of Walker at that time then you definitely saw my class.

43. TheLeafNation91 says:

I caught a glimpse of the class…which 1 was you…I think I saw a guy with a white t trying to lead the class but wasn't sure

44. the_word says:

However, if Chelios is a GM then there is a good chance he and Bettman will, someday find themselves in the same room, that is a conversation I'd like hear.

hmmm…. ya i was wearing a white, long sleeved shirt, but mighta had the sleeves rolled up. haha. just come by and say hi next time

46. TheLeafNation91 says:

Haha. i have econ until 6: 30 on mondays and i usually workout (since i gained the freshmen 25) after that time. next weeks are hectic with mid-terms so ill come and visit after reading week

Oh, and if you haven't voted yet, vote for Ken Truong for VP and Minhal for Board of Directors. Everything else I don't really care. That Deniz girl is cute, vote her for whatever she's running for, the guys shes up against are losers.

solid, my next class isnt until after reading week anyways cuz next week is "family day" so all monday classes are cancelled

49. HABSSTAR says:

For some reason I would picture him doing any negotiations (contract or trade) while chewing on a cigar stubb, wearing an old WWII helmet while sporting a five o'clock shadow, and it's only 730 am… I dunno why, it just seems right.

He's a freak of nature and I'd LOVE to see him as the GM in Montreal, get him an f'n translator if need be. lol

50. HABSSTAR says:

It would quite possibly be the only way to get Bettman to hate Canadian teams anymore than he already does. lol