McCabe Re-signs?

According to Sportsnet, Bryan McCabe and the Leafs are closing in on a 5 year deal worth 25M$

It eliminates the trade speculations, but i still think he should have waited to test the market.

What do you think?

425 Responses to McCabe Re-signs?

1. Gretzkin says:

Good analysis on Cox’s article.

He doesn’t really state the fact that the no trade clause is a killer, merely mentions that he hopes they are up to task.

The No Movement clause is pretty bad, considering that they have overpaid him for what they hope they can get in return, not the value of the player at the time of purchase.

Do I personally think McCabe is worth more than Kaberle?

Not by a long shot.

But, his stock, in my mind, goes up considerably by having Kaberle beside him. Kabby rounds out McCabe’s game, dishes the beautiful passes that allow for McCabes goals (very important), and of course, is the first one to the front of the net to cover for McCabe’s “Glory” seeking hits.

I totally agree that the Leafs have some depth at D, but they do need to add somebody like McKee, and the brothers united would be nice.

Harrison and Woz had limited play, showed promise, but are unproven as of yet. Leaf fans went mad over them, but they do need more time.

Coliacovo has amazing upswing, but is an injury liability. I fear he’s going to be hurt more often than not.

Ian White. What more can I say. I’m a big fan of this little guy. He’s going to be a great player in years to come.

Anyways, the true task will be is finding a Goalie, adding one or two Solid Veterans (not old farts), and getting Mats a proper sniper that can finish (plus more).

It’s too bad Mogilny came when he did, that was a nice combo.

The only critisism I have with Damien Cox’s article is that McCabe stands up for his teammates. I personally believe that McCabe is all talk and no trousers. I think he’s afraid to drop them when it really comes down to it, and I’ve seen when he does fight, he cowers. Not including the Chara incident. That was ballsy.

2. 92-93 says:

its not that leaf fans are going wild over Harrison, etc. …

what some non-leaf fans have to grasp is the situation that these kids were entering.

not only did leaf fans witness these kids replace the older and more expensive Berg, Khavanov, Klee, Belak, etc. they saw them play better than them.

obviously that’s a comment on how bad those vets played but it doesnt take away how good these kids are either.

are they proven? of course not. but you look at most of Buffalo’s D or San Jose’s D, etc. and you’ll see a lot of unproven young guys (who proved themselves in the playoffs this year). the leafs need to keep at least 2 and probably 3 regular starting spots open for these kids.

Coliacovo probably isn’t plaing for awhile. but there are 6 other young D-guys who’ll take a shot for these 2 or 3 spots, not to mention the return of Pilar.

a goalie and a winger are important, but a guy like McKee is right up there too.

3. 92-93 says:

i disagree.

Maurice can only do so much – true. but the guy and his track record proves that he can make mediocre teams play well above their heads.

4. LeafsLeafsLeafs says:

JFJ was on Leafs Lunch stating that a deal with McCabe and his agent has not been made as of yet, so this seems to be much ado about nothing.

5. 92-93 says:

well, its from much ado about nothing.

of course something has gone down – obviously the reports are close to accurate otherwise they wouldnt be reporting them.

and, again, obviously JFJ is going to take the ‘i wont report anything till its done line’ because he is the best in the business at it (frustratingly so).

the reports are that there is at least a no-trade clause and its for five years and its for 5.5-6 million dollars. it would be shocking if such details were not at least close to being accurate.

6. paul_dc10 says:

sept jovos about 10000293x better then mccabe

7. Radio says:

What about Ottawa’s 80 year cup drought! That tops them all!!!

XD. Yes I know. I KNOW. I’m a Sens fan. No don’t reply. I SAID DON’T REPLY!

8. Radio says:

5.8 mil for 5 years.

Every fan should be disturbed by this. Leaf fans in particular because now Toronto has what? Half a cap left and a whole team to sign?

For the rest of the league, that sets the bar really high for Dmen. Especially offensive Dmen.

As far as the Senators giving up their two top Defensemen, it might. It really depends how frustrated they are with having no cup/how much pay they are willing to be cut relative to the McCabe bar.

Ottawa can’t afford Chara and Redden with a total 11.6mill a season. That’s over 1/4 of the cap.

9. Mario_n_Sidney says:

I don’t hate the Leafs, I have no reason to. I just get sick of the Leaf fans… they think they are the Yankees of the NHL…without the championships. I’m done? Good one.

10. Mario_n_Sidney says:

When was the last cup in Philly? ’75? You’re not a “brain sergion”? NOOO WAY!!!

11. Mario_n_Sidney says:

The Flyers 31 year drought makes me smile every time I see it.

12. habs_punk says:

Perfect example of being able to use stats to “prove” any point. You conveniently forgot to compare the depth and quality of prospects that each team has, which overwhelmingly is in the Pens favor.

13. habs_punk says:

Seriously, just stop talking.

14. habs_punk says:

I don’t know if it’s actually possible for you to come up with a dumber thing to say. That was actually really stupid. First you call some of the best young players in the game “shitty”, and then you make fun of me for something that you THINK I was going to say. I didn’t say, nor was I going to say it. I actually haven’t said anything along those lines for a very long time.

How incredibly ignorant do you have to be to not recognize Markov (10G, 36A, +13, 27 years old), Ryder (30G, 26 years old), Plekanec (29PTS, +4, 23 years old), Higgins (23G, 23 years old), Komisarek (+/- E, 6’4″, 240lbs, 24 years old), Perezhogin (+5, 22 years old), and Begin (23PTS, 113 PIM, hard working, big hits, 27 years old) as a solid YOUNG core of players. Look at how old each of these players are. They are going to continue to get better, and make Montreal a much better team even as early as next year. So you don’t think Montreal has a good future, you think these players are shitty? I guess that really just shows how little you know about hockey. But I wouldn’t expect much more from a Flyers fan.

15. LeafsLeafsLeafs says:

so apparantley you are my_sphincter to?

lame buddy lame.

’nuff said.

16. LeafsLeafsLeafs says:

17. LeafsLeafsLeafs says:

what will you say if mccabe scores between 60 – 80 points per season for the next 5 years?

18. 92-93 says:

half a cap left with a whole team to sign?!?!

do you have any clue on what the situation is in toronto at all?

do yourself a favour and go visit the leafs’ payroll at

19. 92-93 says:

oh you said DONT reply!

20. Marky2Fresh says:

21. DJTOKid says:

yah but look at what the sens have up front compared to the leafs alfreddson, heatly, spezza, havlat compared to the leafs sundin i think the sens have alot more money to spend there or they could go after both chara and redden.

22. Marky2Fresh says:

Is this deal offical yet or what? I just got my computer back and I’m reading conflicting things

23. my_sphincter says:

If I hate the Leafs soo much, why am I praising Kaberle. I can dislike a team without disliking the players, just as I can like a team and dislike some of the players. I think that Sundin is one of the best leaders in the game and Keberle diserves more respect than he gets…

But McCabe??? Give me a break. Gonchar put up great stats playing most of his career with the worst teams in the league. Maybe you should put your little GO LEAFS GO flag down for a moment and think about why McCabe is criticized so much. When it comes down to it, the Leafs paid too much money and did not improve their hockey club one bit.

24. my_sphincter says:

You seem rather bitter that the lowly Pens have won a few cups in the last 35 years. The modern day Leafs are among the greatest underachievers in the game.

25. my_sphincter says:

Who among the Pens were forced into retirement? Mario has been battling a bad back for years. Palffy has also been hurting for a couple of years. So who are you speaking about?

None of these players were forced into retirement because the team was to broke to pay them, unlike the shabby Penguins organization.

This is the most uninformed statement I have ever read.

26. Milohabs says:

sorry (I forgot my comma)

YOU ARE AN IDIOT , Dumbass !

In other words, I am refering to you as Dumbass, and I am telling you Mr Dumbass, that you are an idiot.

PS. I only started this because I was called a moron. I have no use for people throwing slander around. If someone leaves me a civilized response, I will reply in kind.

The Moron

27. the_word says:

Biron is a good fit, with Aubin and Biron you know at least one french goaltender will step up (I mean Montreal always seems to get top quality goaltending out of seeming nowhere). I say the Leafs should concentrate on getting a solid top 4 defensemen (sign a Kubina, McKee etc..) to play with the young guys and a good goaltender, and the rest of the chips fall where they may, the first concern should be a solid core in their own end.

Once they have a good core they worry about the fowards, look you can dump Sundin at the end of this year, free up 6 million, or try to sign him for less. Only then can they properly look to rebuild up front. They shouldn’t tie themselves up with guys like Langenbuner, Samsonov ect…

28. the_word says:

why does ever picture of Berger makes him look like someone just caught him playing Dungeons & Dragons?