Mclarren to be packaged with Kultanen???

Many Bruins fans noticed that Don Sweeney was a healthy scratch in a few games recently. The seasoned Boston blue liner made the following comment in the Boston Globe on November 1st:

”Robbie presented something to me [Wednesday] and talked to me about what he was thinking and it’s not a big deal,” said Sweeney, who was back in the lineup last night against the Anaheim Mighty Ducks. ”It’s the coach’s decision. It’s something he thought about and presented to me and we left it at that. I’ve respected coaches’ decisions all the way along in my career, despite not necessarily agreeing with some of them. So I’m not going to stop now.”

Providence Bruin call up Jarno Kultanen played in Sweeneys place. Don Sweeneys clutch and grab style may not be hip any more, however I find it hard to believe the Bs would consider putting #32 out to pasture. I also do not feel they are keeping him out of the line up to prevent injuries, that could hurt the chances of trading him. The Bruins don’t want to trade Sweeney, and probably couldn’t if they wanted to.

The Bruins look alot better on the blue line so far this year than many probably thought in the preseason. Could the Bruins be showcaseing Kultanen for another club? If so could they be packaging him with Mclarren for a team that is especially despirately in need of defensive help?

Who would be interested in somthing like this? Atlanta? New York Islanders? Toronto? Florida? St. Louis?

I almost think the Bruins are getting near the point that they might pull a trade for draft picks or prospects. However, they are minus Lapointe (maybe not a big deal) and Samsonov is still on the mend. Perhaps the Bruins are still looking for someone to replace Guerin in some aspect, although I doubt they are looking for someone quite to that level.

8 Responses to Mclarren to be packaged with Kultanen???

1. big_booty says:

I think you might be reading too much into a very small issue.

You brought up Sweeney’s “clutch and grab” style. Maybe the Bruins just want to get a closer look at Kultanen. It probably isn’t a showcasing of the young player, just an evaluation. Teams do this from time to time, it’s not that big of a deal.

Just because one player gets benched in favor of another does not always mean that a trade is imminent.

As for Sweeney, his trade value is probably pretty low due to his age, and I doubt they would be able to get much in return for him. He has spent his entire career with the B’s, a rarity nowadays.

2. ProngerBlues44 says:

I have been watching the past couple of B’s games on Center Ice and I really like Kultanen. The B’s would be completely retarded to trade him. Like you said, as good as Sweeney is, I do not believe he could be traded due to age. But both are great defenseman and may be good to have down the road.

~Jeff P.

3. pantherboy says:

I dont see Florida trading for another D-man. Unless they want Ulanov for him…

4. acebailey says:

One way or another, I think Keenen will want to get rid of most of the European guys, he doesn’t like them. And Mike seems to be the coach of the future. Jokenen and Ozolinsh are probably safe to stay put though.

5. acebailey says:

When I stated that the Bruins probably couldn’t trade Sweeney, what I meant was he probably has a no trade clause in his contract, which was signed a year ago last summer. Don doesn’t want to move his family. I was not trying to say other teams wouldn’t want him, he might not have a whole lot of years left, but he can still keep up with the young whipper snappers of the league.

6. Heinzee57 says:

The Boston Bruins have too many players… Every so often, someone is going to have to sit.

Imagine if McLaren showed up?? What happens when Sammy and Marty come back??

Guys like Grosek & Brown will be getting more days off and there will be no room at the inn for Jarno.

Jarno Kultanen made his NHL debut at the age of 27 and is coming off a season ending knee injury as I recall.

If anyone wanted him, they would part with him.

The organization loves Don Sweeney and is very HIGH on Jonathan Girard. Jarno Kultanen will be turning 30 while in the AHL. What possibly could the Bruins get for him???

7. Forsberg21 says:

Good thing they didn’t make Sweeney captain like some of you guys wanted. That would have looked really bad if they scrathed their Captain.

8. SoulJah says:

Sweeney was probably scratched so he could have his 1,000th game at Boston instead of on the road.