Mock Draft 2012
I havent written my own story for a while and this is just for fun cuz i was bored.. but I decided to do my own mock draft for this junes upcoming draft… its including the latest standings so it wont be accurate in the end but what I think each teams needs.
*14. – Columbus receives Los Angeles’ 2012 1st round pick (lottery protected in 2012. If the Kings miss the playoffs, Columbus decides if they want to use the pick 2012 or 2013 ) and Jack Johnson for Jeff Carter.
1. Columbus- RW, Nail Yakupov- best offensive player available, also dynamic, full of skill, good 2-way as well *may be risky because Columbus has taken Russians in the past and turned out to be flops (Filatov & Zherdev) and the fact hes Russian.
2. Edmonton- D, Ryan Murray- Edmonton has plenty of young talented fowards through the draft and i think they could use depth on defense and Murray is a perfect fit with his upsided 2-way play, with great offensive talent.
3. Montreal- C, Mikhail Grigorenko- With Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis, Subban, and a few others who are young d-men chosen by the Canadians in the past who have bright futures, the Canadians can build their stock in the center position with Cammalleri gone, they could use a player like Grigorenko who has a good shot, great speed and a set of hands, a player many teams would want.
4. NY Islanders- D, Jacob Trouba- not a surprising pick.. Islanders have gone with forwards in the first round in the past few years but with De Haan, an offensive d-man an almost NHL ready player, I think the Islanders are ready to bring in another offensive d-man, but yet big, speedy and can jump in the play and has a huge physical edge.
5. Carolina- LW, Filip Forsberg- a huge offensive player and a player the Carolina Hurricanes are missing.. a player who skates hard, not afraid to go to the net and can be a game changer.
6. Anaheim- D, Matthew Dumba- plays feisty, with an offensive upside and can lay a huge hit.. also considered to be compared to Phaneuf. Just like the Islanders, I think this is what the Ducks need that Fowler is the next offensive d-man for the Ducks, they can use a player with the same edge, but a forwards nightmare.
7. Tampa Bay- D, Morgan Reilly- a bit of a gamble due to his season-long injury, once hes back he will get back into game form and can make a big difference on defense for any NHL team with a great offensive style game, and I think thats what Tampa Bay needs right now to build a bright future on their defense through the draft.
8. Toronto- C, Brendan Gaunce- What the Leafs need, a big, two-way centreman with a knack for the net and can score the important goals. Probably the best two-way forward available and hes also good on the boards, and tight on the puck.
9. Minnesota- D, Griffin Reinhart- With Minnesota with alot of young talented forwards (Bulmer, Coyle, Phillips, Granlund, etc.), I think their next need is a offensive defenseman in Reinhart.. he has a big frame at 6’4, who also can play a physical, smart game.
10. Buffalo- C, Alex Galchenyuk- Playing on a line with Yakupov, he also has a huge offensive game.. even though injured the whole year, once hes back hell make a huge impact.. It is a knee injury and its risky but thats what you take on at the draft and with Roy rumored to go in the future, Galchenyuk can be a great replacement.
11. Calgary- D, Derrick Pouliot- What Calgary could use, a speedy puck moving defenseman who can be a key role in the power play and can make good, smart decisions, a good replacement for Jay Bouwmeester.
12. Washington- D, Cody Ceci- A big defenseman, with a hard shot, great man on man player who can easily knock a player off the puck.
13. Washington- RW, Sebastien Collberg- With Washington having a history with Swedes at the draft, Collberg had a great offensive game at the world juniors leading Sweden to gold, and can be a game changer but needs to work on his physical game and size.
14.L.A.or Columbus- D, Matt Finn- Has alot of poise, hes patient and is a great penalty killer and also good on the powerplay.- Great fits for either team.
15. Winnipeg- D, Olli Maatta- A speedy, patient defenseman with great vision and offensive skills.
16. Dallas- LW, Radek Faksa- A big offensive forward who can take a hit and also dish out a hit who can also get much needed time on the powerplay and penalty kill.
17. Florida- D, Slater Koekkek- A two-way defender, who can handle the puck and make quick, and smart decisions.
18. San Jose- C, Zemgus Girgensons- with Coyle, McGinn, and Setoguchi gone, the good sized center has great potential in the future, determinated, hard working center, and has a huge offensive game.
19. New Jersey- LW, Pontus Aberg- A speedy,dynamic player whos good on the puck, has hands and has good playmaking skills.
20. Chicago- D, Brady Skjei- A perfect fit for the Chicago defense, has puck skills and good skating ability and an overall hard working game.
21. Phoenix- C, Jarrod Maidens- Kind of taking a wild guess but could be a good replacement if he reaches his full potential in the future for Shane Doan.. can play at center or on the wing, plays physical and has a good offensive game and protects the puck well.
22. Ottawa- D, Dalton Thrower- has moved up in rankings, is a rough player and good point producer.
23. Philly- D, Jordan Schmaltz- A strong, big defenseman who can move the puck well.. can replace Pronger in the future.
24. Pittsburgh- C, Colton Sissons- A leader, has a great offensive game and goes hard to the net and get the dirty goals.
25. Boston- C, Stefan Matteau- Solid player in all areas of play and can put pucks in the net.
26. Buffalo- RW, Thomas Wilson- Buffalo get a solid player, probably the best power forward in the draft and has an offensive upside to his game.
27. St.Louis- D, Damon Severson- A solid all around blue-liner who is rising up and showing hes capable of a 1st round pick.
28. Tampa Bay- G, Malcolm Subban- best available goaltender, has serious potential and can develop into a top notch NHL tender sooner than possible. Also a good pickup for Tampa, get goaltending debth, especially that Dwayne Roloson is not getting any younger.
29. NY Rangers- C, Tomas Hertl- Big center, has a great offensive game and can contribute on any end of the ice.
30. Vancouver- C, Andreas Athanasiou- a great offensive player, has great hands, one of the fastest and best penalty killing prospects available.
31. Columbus- D, Michael Matheson- US defender, has a good hockey sense, hands and on the breakout.. good pickup for columbus’ depth for defenseman.
on- C, Tanner Pearson- mature, hardworking, a skilled offensive forward with a nose for the net.
33. Montreal- C, Nicholas Kerdiles- A good two-way forward with a gritty game and with good offensive abilities.
34. Islanders- RW, Martin Frk- high talented level with speed and canplay with grit.
35. Carolina- D, Ludvig Bystrom- Another Swedish defensive prospect who has good long term potential. He displays excellent all-direction feet and makes poise puck decisions, has good vision and very good passing ability.
36. Ducks- C, Mike Winther- smart, gritty, has skill and likes to battle in the dirty areas.
37. Lightning- RW, Scott Kosmachuk- excellent speed, toughness, and a 2-way game. plays strong on the puck and is fierce.
38. Leafs- LW, Phillip DiGiuseppe- agile with a high skill set like speed, shot, good feet, and hands.
39. Lightning- F, Danill Zharkov- good size, stick handling skills, technical with his stride and feet.
40. Buffalo- LW, Tim Bozon- puck carrier, is a play-maker and goal scorer and can play all 3 forward positions.
41. Buffalo- D, Ville Pokka- 2 way defender, takes the body well, good puck distributor, plays pp well.
42. Minnesota- LW, Teuvo Teravainen- offensive, agile, can dangle and create scoring chances, well balanced stride and good all around player.
43. Colorado- RW, Tomas Hyka- great skeater, has great puck possession skills, good passer and hassoft hands.
44. Dallas- C, Henrik Samuelsson- has good size and frame.. speedy, strong on puck, good power forward, and has a heavy shot and fast release.
45. Jets- RW, Branden Troock- good feet, hard to stop, fast, and drives the net hard.
46. Stars- D, Patrick Sieloff- solid d-man,likes to jump in the play, soft hands, good skill set, steady and effective defenseman, smart.
47. Panthers- RW, Anton Slepyshev- agile winger, good offensive abilities, a strong 2way player, great puck carrier.
48. Carolina- D, Nick Ebert- 2way defender with great size, vision, and feet and can contribute defensively with a blistering shot.
49. Devils- D, Esa Lindell- solid frame, and significant upside.
50. Chicago- G, Andrei Vasilevski- the second best available goalies, with their future in goal on Cory Crawford’s shoulders, Chicago are willing to take this goalie to give competition to the Chicago tender who hasnt been living up to his performances. Chicago get a big, athletic goalie who covers alot of the net and challenges the shooters well.
51. Coyotes- D, Hampus Lindholm- smart, steady skater with a solid 2way game. Plays strong in his end, and very agile and mobile for such a big defender.
52. Columbus- G, Brandon Whitney- a large, athletic goalie with raw talent and takes up a big portion of the net.
53. Lightning- D, Gianluca Curcurto- reads situations well, efficient and is a good shutdown defender. nice size and wide skating strides. Good footwork, and has great positioning to break up plays.
54. Penguins- C, Cristobal Nieves- has big pro-style size similar to previous draft pick Tom Kuhnackl, has a smooth, quick stride, has great agility, good lateral movement, obtains numerous scoring chances, has hands of a scorer, and is an excellent passer.. great all around player.
55.* The San Jose Sharks will receive the 25th pick of this round (55th overall) as compensation for not signing 2007 first-round draft pick Patrick White.——-> LW, Brady Vail- good skill set, good size, physical, has a good defensive game and plays with confidence.
55. Colorado or Washington- RW, Brian Hart- great shot, good all around player, has hands and can play a good 2way game.
56. Montreal- G, Oscar Dansk- quick-legged butterfly goalie, strong positioning, good balance, and has size. Very sharp and in control during games by giving few rebounds.
57. Blues- C, Scott Laughton- reliable 2way forward, team leader and hard worker who shows some grit.. plays hard on the puck, skates well and is an excellent forechecker.
58. Detroit- D, Adam Pelech- a big-stay at home defenseman, hits hard, skates well, shows some offensive ability, and uses his reach and size to his advantage.
59. Rangers- LW, Raphael Bussieres- 2-way player with terrific feet, good puck handler, beats defenders on the outside, good offensive generator.
60. Canucks- LW, Coda Gordon- Solid wing with great strength and some abilities to generate and also score. Reads the ice well, finds the open spots, has good feet, and has scoring prowess and size.