Nash says No to Canada

The Blue Jackets pursuit of a trade for captain Rick Nash has now stretched two weeks into NHL free agency. It could continue to drag on deep into the summer, into training camp in September and even into the regular season. Or it could end with one phone call.
Here are some outtakes and observations of where it stands as of this morning:
One aspects revealed by Nash’s list of “approved” destinations — Boston, Detroit, the New York Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and San Jose — it’s that he’d rather play for his country than in his country. Not one of Canada’s seven NHL franchises made the list, including the club Nash grew up worshipping, the Toronto Maple Leafs. What does that say?
“It says he wants to get away,” said former NHL defenseman Brian Engblom, now an NBC analyst. “Every guy is different. Look at the kid (Justin Schultz) that just signed with Edmonton as a free agent. From what I could tell, he only wanted to play in Canada. I played in Canadian and U.S. markets, and I can tell you, it is different. To each his own. Some guys thrive on being under that microscope, of having that daily pressure of everybody watching you. And some guys really don’t like that.”

14 Responses to Nash says No to Canada

1. Ryrad8 says:

Here’s what I see for each team

To Clb
    Hamilton, Krejci, a conditional 1st(make it to the final), and maybe a 4th liner.
    To Bos
    Nash, and some low end draft picks?

To Clb

Nash and Tyutin

To CLB
    Depres or Morrow, Dupuis, 1st and 2nd
    To Pitts
    Nash and Moore

To CLB
    marleau, Braun , Conditional 1st (They make finals, if not a 2nd)
    To San Jose
    Nash and Nikitin

Now I admit some of these are bad. Some aren’t bad though either, give me an honest opinion on these, if you disagree show me what the deal might look like.

• ZillyHoo says:

The Pitts trade would be a steal for them. San Jose and Philly I could see being done, Detroit and Rangers aren’t happening, Columbus would gladly take Boston’s I think

2. ZillyHoo says:

Danny Heatley 2.0

3. TeamCanadaGM says:

Nash is a little b*tch, that’s all I can say about him.

He’ll get taxed more in Canada which is why he doesn’t want to come here. He’s a sellout.

Screw you, Nash.

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

did he say that was why? If not you are dumb.

Looks to me like he wants to play for a contender. The only Canadian team that qualifies as a legit contender is Vancouver, and for whatever reason he’s not interested, can’t say I blame him, seeing how D.Sedin is the obvious 1st line LW on that team.

You have to realize there are two sides to every equation. Look at it from Nash’s point of view. This is a guy who loves hockey, and hasn’t been on anything close to resembling a winning team since he played in Junior. He now has an opportunity, where the organization has accepted the fact that he wants a trade, and are looking to move him, and he has a chance to play on a team that he feels has a chance to be a winner as soon as next year, and for the foreseeable future.

If I were in his shoes my list of team’s would be pretty similar .

• TeamCanadaGM says:

You’re right, except if being on a winning team is all he is looking for, why did he resign with the jackets in the first place? I’m thinking because of the money…

I don’t know, I guess just something about a guy being Canadian and not wanting to play in Canada bothers me.

• HABSdomination says:

Exactly. What a fucking traitor. My ultimate dream is that he NEVER gets traded and rots there until his contract expires and therefore never wins anything for the duration of his shitty contract. THEN, when he signs somewhere else, i hope he signs with a team that sucks, but overpays him(which is why that sellout signs there) and then rots there too, therefore not winning anything for the duration of that contract. THEN, i hope no one wants him and he ends up signing with a barn team in the KHL and he ends up having the shittiest carreer realizing that karma is a bitch and therefore ending his career while not winning anything for the duration of that last contract.

He would then, be an overpaid loser. Just like Gomez.

That is my dream for this thursday ladies and gentlemen.

• Oh, the drama. Nash doesn’t want to play for a Canadian team, so what? You hope he rots because of that? Maybe he doesn’t want the media looking over his shoulder everytime he takes a crap. He’s not a traitor. He’s not obligated to play for his country. This isn’t the Olympics. Nash is a great player. Any team would be lucky to have him aboard. Maybe he hasn’t lived up to his contract but that’s hardly his fault, but I don’t think his value would ever drop to Scottt Gomez status, regardless how overpaid he becomes.

Or, maybe you were just being sarcastic. Hard to tell here.

4. daveykeonLeafs says:

Yeah the Pittsburgh trade is awful, sorry, but the Philly and Boston trades are pretty decent. Also, don’t think CBJ would want Marleau. For Pittsburgh I would say 2013 1st, 2014 1st, 2013 2nd, Sutter. (Their 1st round picks don’t hold that much value as it’s going to be late).

Nash – Crosby – Dupuis
      Neal – Malkin – Kunitz

Then wait until next summer and sign Jarome Iginla, move out Dupuis, and you’ve got a half decent top 2 lines… haha

5. leafs_wallace93 says:

I wonder how this will paint Nash’s reputation now that he can’t be the Leafs knight in shinning armor?

I said this guy was soft and he lacks character if he wants to be just another piece added to a contender. This guy is more Marian Hossa than franchise player.

He’ll do well in a meaningless market and have a meaningless career. Maybe even win a meaningless championship somewhere like Raliegh.