NHL Draft Day – Early Afternoon Update

NHL draft: Luongo trade chatter heats up as Canucks insist they’ll wait for the right deal

Tampa Open to trading their first round pick

Brophy on NHL: Luongo likely for Leafs

Strategy Room: Trade talk taking over

Nash deal unlikely, should Sharks turn to JVR?

Could the Bruins trade Thomas?

Could Yakupov fall to 3rd?

The good news for Vancouver is that general managers continue to call about its goalies. Even better news: not all the calls have been about the availability of Cory Schneider.

The Canucks contend they have time to be patient in searching out a Roberto Luongo trade.

So, they won’t be calling Luongo to get his stamp of approval if the Toronto Maple Leafs continue to offer something just south of nothing for the 33-year-old throughout the NHL Draft weekend.

Lots of time, the Canucks say, to get the right Luongo deal done. It doesn’t have to happen this weekend. But it sure would help. That may be why the Luongo talk started heating up late Thursday.

“The draft may be the most opportune time to make trades because you have 30 teams, 30 general managers and all their personnel in such close proximity,” said Canucks assistant general manager Laurence Gilman.

“It also happens on the eve of free agency, on July 1. So, the situation lends itself to talking trades.”

That GM Mike Gillis has been listening to offers from “numerous” GMs and making progress this week without a working wish list from Luongo can be interpreted as a strong sign Luongo is open to a lot more destinations than just five.

Tampa Open to trading their first round pick

Brophy on NHL: Luongo likely for Leafs

There were a lot of big names being thrown around in trade rumours here Thursday night, but the biggest name associated with the Toronto Maple Leafs continues to be goaltender Roberto Luongo.

In fact, many feel it is only a matter of time before the Vancouver Canucks ship the 34-year-old stopper with the lifetime contract east to Toronto.

“The Leafs want him and Canucks want to move him; you do the math,” said one NHL general manager.

The Canucks are wisely keeping all options open and assistant GM Laurence Gilman even suggested the organization might retain Luongo and have him split time in the crease with Cory Schneider next season. He said the team could even trade Schneider who took over as the team’s No. 1 goalie in the playoffs this past season.

“(GM) Mike Gillis has entertained calls on both our goaltenders,” Gilman said. “It falls into the category of problems you don’t mind having in the sense it’s better to have too many than not enough. At this point we’re not doing anything fast.”

Strategy Room: Trade talk taking over

What was supposed to be the culmination of a long and winding road for every NHL front office has turned into chaos on the NHL trade rumour mill.

Will all the trade rumours around the league continue? My guess is yes but not to the crescendo levels we were tracking on Thursday!

The focus shifted dramatically from talk of prospects such as Nail Yakupov, Ryan Murray and Filip Forsberg to NHL stars such as Jordan Staal, Keith Yandle, Carey Price, Roberto Luongo, Cory Schneider and Rick Nash.

That is why it is so critical for teams to arrive this week with their “list” of who they want to draft this weekend. The side bar of rumours regarding existing stars steamrolled the scene here in a scorching-hot Pittsburgh.

While top draft prospects like Morgan Rielly, Matthew Dumba, Alex Galchenyuk and Jacob Trouba were enjoying a leisurely boat tour around Pittsburgh, GMs were huddled up in their suites trying to figure out how they were going to hit a home run — not only with the draft but with a trade or two that could vault their club into the playoffs or into a Stanley Cup contender.

Nash deal unlikely, should Sharks turn to JVR?

As the chances become slimmer and slimmer that the Sharks will make a major deal for Columbus’ Rick Nash, the club may have to consider two other options to improve its scoring depth on the wings.

Columbus continues to insist that Logan Couture be the centerpiece of a deal for its captain, and Couture is, rightfully, a non-starter with Sharks general manager Doug Wilson.

One intriguing name that may make sense for San Jose is current Philadelphia Flyers winger James van Riemsdyk, whom the Sharks reportedly targeted back at the trade deadline, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger.

It’s been an uneven career for the former second overall pick of 2007, who, when he was drafted by Philly, was immediately compared to Nash for his size and scoring touch. He’s shown flashes of brilliance, but van Riemsdyk hasn’t been able to sustain a consistent level of production in his first three seasons as a pro.

In fact, it’s been rumored that van Riemsdyk would be part of a deal for Nash should the Flyers make an offer to the Blue Jackets. Should Nash end up elsewhere, though, van Riemsdyk could be available for the right offer. And if that’s the case, it’s worth it for the Sharks to investigate.

Could the Bruins trade Thomas?

Could Yakupov fall to 3rd?

289 Responses to NHL Draft Day – Early Afternoon Update

1. 93killer93 says:

There are a bunch of reports saying the top five is expected to go down like this,

Apparently the guy Montreal wants is Teravainen.

2. NYI will be laughing to the bank.

3. 93killer93 says:

Some news from Eklund, I know I know,

Columbus was in on Luongo but traded for Bobrovsky, when they found out he was going to Toronto.
    He also said despite reports, he is confident Montreal aren’t planning to take Teravainen.

Can’t see edm passing on yak
    Murray to jackets if yaks goes 1st.
    Galenchuk to habs or else isles.
    Forsberg to isles or Habs.
    Reinhart to leafs.

Then I see some trades. But I think…
    6. Dumba
    7. Turovainen.
    8. Grigorenko.
    9. Reilly.
    10. Trouba

5. dumbassdoorman says:

Well I think Montreal just got the best player in the draft. I think I now hope Burke decides to load up and trade back.

• Gambo says:

Now we all have to hear about this from Lafleur for the rest of the offseason. Fuck.

• LN91 says:

Montreal did though. They’re solving their issues…While Toronto is a giant mess, adding another defencemen to a bunch of defencemen makes zero sense.

Trading Schenn won’t get you much back, goaltending sucks, still don’t have a good center, zero grit…Are they aiming for Mackinnon next year?

• lafleur10 says:

6. dumbassdoorman says:

I wonder if he to will be a “generational talent” as well lol

7. JoelLeafs says:

Rielly, eh? I was kind of hoping for Forsberg, but we have enough wingers already. Then again, we also have tons of D-men. Some trades need to happen…

• Shoelesshobo says:

I’m kinda pissed. A great forward in Forsberg was on the table still but for some reason we took a D man. I could of swore we were trying to get rid of some of our D man?

8. dumbassdoorman says:

So does the Rielly selection mean we are looking to move a dman or two? Does this put us out of looking for Schultz to become a Leaf? Or is this a hey we are gonna go young, young, young?

• LN91 says:

Yup…Burke did more damage than good.

THis teams a mess, a giant mess at that…And it’s going nowhere.

• leafs_wallace93 says:

No, in Burke’s eyes our short coming is that we’re still not deep enough on the blueline, that’s why we haven’t make the playoffs so being the Havard graduate that he is he adds another blueliner because it addresses our hole at the 11th spot on D.

I didn`t even think of Schultz, so now we lose out on him.

Unless he’s going to deal Gardiner but then that disqualifies us from Schultz as well.

I wonder if he`s going to follow this up with a Toskala type deal to address his goaltending issue.

9. leafs_wallace93 says:

F’ing FIRE BURKE!

You’re done Burke, this is the beggining of the end you fat Mic, no turning back from leaving Grigs and Forsberg on the board.

Now go get Luongo you JFJ paint by numbers hack.

Anyone want to defend that pick?

• JoelLeafs says:

Sure, I’ll take a shot. Leafs have a glut of wingers and D-men. Taking Forsberg would put them in the same sort of situation. Grigs is a gamble, Burke and co. decided to go with a more likely thing. Best player available, etc.

Also, if you fire the GM every 3-4 season it makes it difficult to build a team.

• leafs_wallace93 says:

How about firing the guy that makes the same mistake ever summmer. The same mistake JFJ made every summer. Blueliners are the easiest commidities to get, they`re always available at the draft, at the deadline, on July 1st….

Is there a team in league history that has cycled through more blueliners than the post lockout Leafs? This is starting to feel like an emo song… never going get it right, never going get it, never….

We`re not deep with high end talent on the wing. We have Kessel and Lupul needs to prove last year he wasn’t playing over his head.

• JoelLeafs says:

Well, I still have faith in Kulemin. MacArthur isn’t bad, but he could be improved upon pretty easily. also:

Frattin, Ashton, Mueller, Biggs, D’Amigo, Ryan, Ross, Leivo, Deschamps…

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

what mistake? Burke didn’t draft a D-man in the first round. Forsberg was not playing for us this year if we got him so why are you bitching? You don’t know that Forsberg is going to be better than Reilly, I think he will but I’m guessing at best.

Anyone who bitches and complains about this pick is an idiot, feel free to come back mid-July and bitch about not getting another impact forward or not getting a no.1 goalie because that is a fail.

People need to relax, it isn’t the end of the world.

• blaze says:

My god Burke is going to sign Penner, it’s coming.

• JoelLeafs says:

As long as the money isn’t retarded and the term is short I’m fine with theoretical it.

• blaze says:

Matt Frattin had a better season on the Leafs than Penner had on the Kings….

No, hell no, 17 pts and minus 7 on the Kings and he’ll be overpaid? Keep that lazy bum out of here.

• leafs_wallace93 says:

Blaze call the term on that Penner deal, is the over/under six years?

• blaze says:

Please no. I didn’t think it would happen but I’m finally turning on Burke. He still has until the beginning of the year before I make my judgement.

The sad part is I really like Reilly, my favorite D-man of the bunch but you said all that needed to be said. Burke pretty much has to land Parise now for me to be sastified.

He needs to land a big piece up front, period. If he goes into next season with Bozak still as the number 1 without drafting a replacement that’s it.

How could he possibly think the forward group is adequate enough? If he adds Penner and calls it a day then I’m done with Burke.

10. leafs_wallace93 says:

And this nobody blueliner already has a torn acl…. great….

11. LN91 says:

Great, I’m looking forward to a forward crop consisting of Kadri and Kessel?

12. dumbassdoorman says:

Well I can’t complain too much, I said in previous posts I thought he might be the best dman in the draft. I hope this is a prelude to a trade or two.

13. ZillyHoo says:

Damn Burke, Forsberg and Grigs are THERE. He better deal MacArthur for a late first.. Maybe we can still have Faska

14. Gambo says:

Nothing against Rielly but that was an idiotic pick by burke. Truculence right there eh. Unless he does some trades today, I’m joining the fire burke crowd.

15. ZillyHoo says:

Haha.. Who the hell did the Ducks pick.

16. dumbassdoorman says:

Wow Ana. goes off the board, kinda higher then most thought……and Rielly is not just a nobody hack with a bad ACL. He is a high rated prospect, I actually don’t mind it. If we sign Schultz, we will be golden on D and in a position to make some decent trades.

17. Gambo says:

Good trade for both teams, pens and canes.

18. dumbassdoorman says:

Wow Staal, to Carolina, can say Grigs is on the clock, or is it Forsberg?

19. JoelLeafs says:

Snap, Stalls unite!

20. ZillyHoo says:

Holy. Carolina got scammed

21. leemon says:

I was a Burke supporter up until 10 minutes ago after he picks a d-man with a blown knee instead of Grigs or Even Forsberg F!#K. Now i’m fighting really really hard just to stay a leaf fan.He may turn out to be ok but, leave to T.O. to f!@k another draft. And as much as i want to have loungo here, I don’t want here any more about him. I want to here when in the world is burke going to get over his Ego and get a No#1 center. Hope you know what your doing Burke,cause looks like right now your on the path to get FIIIIIIRRRRRED.

UGH man i’m frustrated

Oh and Burke lost out on Staal for sweet F.A.

Good job Burke god job 🙁

• dumbassdoorman says:

Staal was always going to the Canes…..either in trade or as a UFA…so I am glad we didn’t pick him up

• leemon says:

Yeah I’m more frustrated with our pick and seems that when a team sees a need they don’t hesitate and we seem to be left in the dust every year. We need a Center and dmen typically take longer to develope then forward and i think passing up Grigs or Forsberg was a mistake taking a deman with a blown knee. And watching Burke sit on his hands makes me want to pull my hair out lol. oh wait i have no hair haha!

• dumbassdoorman says:

His knee is fully recovered, lol, he came back and played this season

• leemon says:

yeah but the problem with ACL injuies is that they’re not quite the same coming back. and i think If we were going for D i would have rather they take Dumba. LOL but i’m calming down now( close call, the big green guy almost surfaced Bahahaha!) I don’t like the pick but he’s a leaf now and I’ll have to learn to like him. I hope I’m wrong.

22. dumbassdoorman says:

LOL, they are here in Thunder Bay while Jordan is getting married, extra drinks and goodbyes to Pitt teamates.

23. LN91 says:

Did every team make a smart decision BUT Toronto?

24. JoelLeafs says:

McGuire is ready to call the cup for the Pens next year.

25. Gambo says:

I think it’s about time to trade for another pick…

26. ZillyHoo says:

Nothing makes sense for me.

Jets have Bogosian and Byfuglien as well as Enstrom. Burke should have offered Percy MacArthur and a 2nd for their pick.

27. leafs_wallace93 says:

Watching Burke GM is like watching a tumor grow.

28. Gambo says:

No way Tampa passes on Forsberg.

29. ZillyHoo says:

• JoelLeafs says:

These GMs must be retarded. Grigs and Forsberg are, according to the above comments, far and away the best players in the draft.

If not for an injury Slater Koekkoek could’ve gone top 5. He had a miserable year, but long term the talent is there.

Not saying I ever would’ve made that pick, but I can see it working out well for the Bolts.

Hedman and Koekkoek could be good building blocks with Aulie as a solid 2nd pair d-man the Bolts have pretty impressive young dmen in the system.

30. ZillyHoo says:

Forsberg – Backstrom – Ovechkin

31. ZillyHoo says:

Steal of the draft, Forsberg

32. LN91 says:

There’s a reson why WASHINGTON are one of the best drafters in this league.

GOOD for them…An extremely smart franchise.

33. LN91 says:

Should the Leafs select Seth Jones or Nathan Mackinnon?

Well, there’s a defencemen mentioned so it should be an obvious choice.

34. LN91 says:

35. ZillyHoo says:

There goes Grigs.. to another division rival.

Bye Burke.

36. LN91 says:

I like how Boston looks forward to Krejci/Bergeron, Buffalo looks to Grigorenko/Grigensons, Montreal looks to Galchenyuk/Plekanec, and Ottawa looks forward to Spezza/(Turris/Zibanejad)

Meanwhile, in Toronto…We look forward to depressing days of Bozak/Grabovski/Colborne.

We know who the bottom feeders of the division will be for the next 10 years atleast.

Morgan Reilly? A defencemen smaller than Kadri with a torn ACL?

Are you kidding mne?

37. leafs_wallace93 says:

When Burke drafted Riley I was thinking ok, where’s Ashton, are we getting punkD?

No, seriously my firt sober calm thought after Riley was drafted meh, at least Burke’s kid is dead.

38. LN91 says:

Washington once again is the smartest franchise in the league.

They went big and very athletic…And they got it with Forsberg and Wilson. Very Bruin like players

Still the biggest losers in the draft are Toronto and Calgary.

• toronto77 says:

lmao… No, I think Calgary takes that cake..lol

Jankowski was kind of a cool pick. I think Feaster was thinking outside the box a bit here. He took a kid who was 17 all season, scored 53 goals in the Q, put up 94 points, he’s 6’2″ but only 170 lbs, so he still has some filling out to do, he’s still a bit of a project, but the talent is there.

And did you know that he’s the great nephew of Red Kelly? It’s true. Calgary got their guy and added a 2nd round pick. You never know, this could wind up being the best move of the draft when we look back in 5 or 6 years.

• 93killer93 says:

Those are his highschool stats. He was drafted out of highschool and Saginaw owns his OHL rights.

Oh really? Interesting pick. I guess Calgary thinks they know something. We’ll find out if this was a stupid pick or brilliant I guess. haha. Risky Flames….

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

my favorite part of it was that they traded down to get a 2nd round pick and drafted a guy they could have picked with the 2nd rounder. lol.

Oh well trading down and picking the guy you wanted is a good day so I guess we will see.

39. JoelLeafs says:

Go CC, dream come true, eh?

40. Steven_Leafs0 says:

hahaha Subban in Boston. I know the Leafs are going to be fucked by Subbans for a while but PK vs Malcolm will be so much fun to watch.

Love it.

41. lafleur10 says:

• nordiques100 says:

but you took a forward with a bum knee.

• lafleur10 says:

• Gambo says:

He’s a great pick for the habs, congrats. He could end up being one of the best in the draft, but this notion that he is big, is false. He is no taller than 6 feet. Regardless, it’s a great pick.

• ZillyHoo says:

I seem to recall you were sold on Grigorenko.

Also, wait Lafleur, you, a Habs fan are telling Leaf fans to enjoy a first round bust?

… I can’t really name off the top of my head other then Carey Price a decent pick by the Habs that has played in the NHL with the same team… It’s just not there.

• lafleur10 says:

if you go back and look at my other posts you’ll see that i said galchenyuk from day 1 i wasn’t sold on grigorenko,timthebone was i said all long that our pick was going to be this kid and i was right! well your forgetting pk subban,louis leblanc,jared tinordi,natan beaulieu,brendan gallagher,ryan macdonagh ,tomas plekanec,max pacioretty etc….

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

LOUD NOISES!!!!!

42. lafleur10 says:

• Gambo says:

he’s not 6’2, ask any scout.

• lafleur10 says:

yeah i seen that i was reading wikipedia and they had him listed at that height

• LN91 says:

He’s anywhere between 5’11 to 6’1…No one really knows.

But he will be a good player…A first-line center that averages betweem 70-85 points a year. He won’t be one of the best…But by no means will he be a failure of a player.

Nice choice lafleur…It’s who I wanted for many months…Dissapointed that Burke did not pressure Columbus more for his services.

Now…We just have the greatest young defence in the league…Mixed with a forward group consisting of Kessel, Kadri, and MacArthur.

• lafleur10 says:

yesh he’s the guy that i wanted as well,as you know i’ve said it since the season ended that galchenyuk was our pick i think he’ll be an elite offensive force a true #1 elite center i think burke tried to trade down to get into the top 2-3 spots but didn’t have the assests to make a deal,also i don’t he would’ve taken galechenyuk……..he said he wanted reilly and would’ve picked him in that spot,you guys wil have a great young defence going forward ours won’t be to bad either with tinordi,beaulieu,ellis,pateryn,subban,emelin and a few others,but our forward group now gives us a better group than the leafs,i think now that we are way ahead of the leafs in drafted prospects and players because of this pick and also with price the habs have the advantage over the leafs going forward!

• LN91 says:

The defence is soild…But it’s not a deep squad and in all reality…Some of those guys will never make it.

I think the Habs now have more quality prospects, but Toronto has more depth. But I would take the quality at the first-line C over anything right now. Also, I expect some of Toronto’s prospects make a bigger impact first due to the fact they are a bit older than a lot of the Habs (Well, who really haven’t rebuilt until this year)

I like the Collberg pick…Many years away but could be a good player. I think Montreal should not rush Gally or Collberg, let them develop for one more year while letting Desharnais and Plekanec do the work.

• lafleur10 says:

i wouldn’t say you have more depth than the habs like personally like our prospects more than the leafs prospects i still think we have an advantage over the leafs in terms of quality in guys like galchenyuk,collberg,gallagher,bournival,kristo,holland,

43. lafleur10 says:

Just saw Brian Burke on TV spouting that their pick Reilly was their #1 choice. If they had first overall they would have picked the same player and even went so far as saying that he wasn’t just saying that to make it look better. HOLY BS BATMAN. Either Burke is a huge liar (duh) or he should fire his entire scouting staff. Toronto deserves this egomaniac. Honestly what an idiot.

• leafs_wallace93 says:

The annoying thing Lafleur is that you’re right…. I can’t dispute the comments you’ve made tonight.

• lafleur10 says:

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

yeah some scouts can really be all over the place, happens all the time, I think one guy had Yakupov falling to 8th on his list or something like that. Calgary picked off the board, heck I remember the Islanders trading up twice in 2009 to pick a guy that should have been available in their original spot (Calvan DeHaan). They traded picks 26, 37, 62, 92, & 182 for the 12th pick in 2 trades.

Even if the Leafs scouts had Reilly penciled into the no.1 spot I cannot see Burke picking him over Yakupov if they had that pick.

44. 93killer93 says:

The comments here are actually pretty pathetic. Only Leafs fans would complain about getting a defenceman who is compared to Letang and Karlsson and projected to be a number 1 dynamic defenceman. Those stats of his are horrible 18 pts in 18 games. Let’s give the guy more than 5 minutes before everyone labels him a bust and a horrible pick.

How does drafting an 18 year old defenceman put us out of getting Schultz. I doubt us having Rielly changes Schultz decision considering Schultz wants a NHL spot and Rielly is pretty much guaranteed to go back to junior. Will other guys drafted later turn out to be better than him, maybe but lets wait and see instead of throwing a hissy fit. Outside of Yakupov and maybe Galchenyuk no forward in the draft was going to come in to Toronto and make an impact this season so not addressing our need of a centre through the draft, isn’t going to affect this upcoming season. Finally let’s wait until after July 1st to start calling for Burke’s head. Our need for a centre has to be addressed through a trade.

I was hoping the Leafs would draft Grigorenko but I don’t mind this pick at all. He played with Dumba as a shutdown pair at the U-18’s last year. The Leafs are going to have a very mobile defence in a couple years. At the end of the day Burke has to trust his scouts.

• leafs_wallace93 says:

Hi Mr. Schultz, do you wanna come to Toronto where you play behind Schenn, Gardiner, Franson, Gunnerson Phaneuf and Liles and in a year or two you have to fight for your job vs Rielly?

That’s a hard pitch, keep in mind Gardiner made this roster by the skin of his teeth, I don’t see Burke able to promise Schultz minutes compared to a team that will let him be a walk on top four.

Even if we get Schultz now, he’s redudant.

• 93killer93 says:

I don’t see Gunnarsson and Franson as long term pieces. Same goes with Liles. By the time Rielly is ready to make the team I see Liles being gone. I don’t see it as redundant to add Schultz. Adding him allows the team to move guys like Franson and Gunnarsson for the uprade upfront that everyone wants. The Leafs do need an upgrade at centre but they also need better top six players. Burke can address two major issues through free agency if he can manage to sign Parise and Suter. Obviously it’s unlikely he gets one let alone both.

Bob Mckenzie said that by moving Staal and Michalek they intend to take a run at Parise. They also said however he is less concerned about the money and more concerned about being “the guy” wherever he goes. In Pittsburgh he won’t be the guy. In Toronto he very well could be. It also takes some of the spotlight off of Kessel who apparently would appreciate for the spotlight to not be solely on him. There are a lot of names available like Nash, Ryan, VanRiemsdyk, Kane. There is a lot of time for Burke to make moves.

A defensive core of Gardiner-Schultz and Rielly-Schenn could be solid for the team heading forward.

A good, solid defenceman like Gunner isn’t a bad thing to have. I think he’s similar to a Hjalmersson of Chicago. He’s replaceable, but he’s not a bad guy to have in the line up, at all.

• leafs_wallace93 says:

It wouldn’t shock me if Burke goes into camp with all these blueliners and boast about our depth at the position.

Not only does Washington steal Forsberg but they add Riberio, we really could have used both those players.

• blaze says:

I wouldn’t get your hopes up for any bigs moves, Burke doesn’t have it in him any more. The only big move I could possibly see him making is for JVR. And it will cost Schenn, who despite the hate we have no adequate replacement for.

The only moves left are Aulie for Ashton types. Maybe he pulls off a Franson for Ott. Hardly enough to take the team to the next level.

Well, the big winners today are Buffalo and Washington by drafting Grigorenko and Forsberg who fell a bit in the draft. Coincidentally both teams had a 2nd mid-first rounder and both teams took a big gritty forward with that pick.

I especially like what Buffalo’s done here by adding a highly skilled centre, and then taking the big “Latvian Locomotive” two picks later. They give themselves a guy who is close to being NHL ready (and has a legitimate chance to be centring a line with Vanek and Pominville as early as next season), and then another guy who is maybe a little more of a project but could be a big 2nd/3rd line tough, aggressive Kesler/M.Richards type guy if he pans out.

46. 93killer93 says:

Leafs rant aside, it’s going to be really interested to see what Pittsburgh does come July 1st. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them take a run at Suter. Moving out Michalek gives them a lot of flexibility. They have about 15 million to sign 2 forwards and 2 defencemen. Niskanen and Tangradi are RFA’s.

If Shero can manage to move Martin they could take a run at Parise and Suter.

I think they should try to bring back Sully. Not sure what the situation is there, but he was the Penguins only solid, consistent winger in that gong-show of a 1st round.

As for my Leafs, I can’t say I’m not disappointed. I really didn’t expect a dman to be drafted, which I guess was naive on my part. I understand that Rielly is a fast, highly skilled puck mover, who takes very little penalties and doesn’t play an aggressive game. For that reason, I don’t really see the comparison to Letang, who is an aggressive dman that runs around all over (probably why he has the concussion issues). But I do see the Karlsson comparison.

I think Rielly has a real good shot to be a good player, but its just not what I personally wanted at all. When Reinhardt went to the NYI I was so sure we were getting Forsberg, and then I got the same sick feeling in my stomach that I got when Fletcher announced the name “Luke Schenn”. Picking d-men high is very risky. Here’s hoping Rielly is more like a Pietrangelo type high pick, and not a Bogosian.

Leafs depth on D –
    10. Jesse Blacker
    11. Stuart Percy
    12. Petter Granberg
    …………………Other Notables
    13. Mark Fraser
    14. Simon Gysbers

We go pretty deep on the blue line, and yet I still think we should make a serious offer to Suter and make a play for Schultz. Then we can move any number of guys including Franson, Gunnarsson, Schenn, and Liles who I believe all have a certain amount of trade value.

• leafs_wallace93 says:

I’ve only really watched him in rookie camps but I really like Simon Gysbers, the kid had presence.

Haven’t really seen him play either, but he’s been pretty consistent statistically everywhere he’s played, pretty much 0.5 point per gamer.

He’s huge at 6’4″, from Richmond Hill, and was an impressive +13 this past season with the Marlies. Still only 25 years old, he’s a bit of a dark horse coming into camp, but if we wind up moving a d-man or two this summer he could have an outside shot. Could be this year’s Frattin.

• LN91 says:

Burke was a favorite for Schultz, not anymore. There’s now no room and he wants to play for Toronto immediately.

This organization is ran poorly…No way to sugarcoat it.

Every other team in our division is making smart decisions…But us.

Its true, you have to respect what Buffalo did here, Boston was a surprise, but I respect it, and Montreal grabbed a good guy at 3.

Ottawa was meh, but they have a much better team than us, and more importantly they have a top centre who put up 84 points last year.

What a fucking zoo this town will be if we land Luongo tomorrow in an attempt to be an average, mediocre team for the next 3 or 4 years. We’ll be no closer to a cup but we’ll also be drafting in the 6-12 range for the next while.

Please God, help Burke say “No” to Lu.

• LN91 says:

Burke said something interesting. That with Reilly being slected, all the other pieces are falling into place.

Is he expecting a first-line center to fall from the sky? Because I don’t think he should expect it through trade because he hasn’t been able to do it yet.

Reilly, yeah, might be the next Karlsson…But don’t we have enough offensive minded defenceman waiting in the wings.

What about Justin Schultz, I thought we were a favorite, but now why would he sign with a logjam of D on this squad?

I agree. Having drafted Rielly you’d have to think Schultz will think twice about signing here, and we don’t really need him. Still hope we get him but it looks like that ship may have sailed.

Luckily Burke has a great team of advisors to help him make these decisions.

• LN91 says:

Does he?

This is why I was hoping Burke would push hard for the Columbus pick…Offering Kadri or Colborne.

Yeah, it’s a risk…We would lose a solid second-line prospect (NOT BLUE CHIP JOSH)…But getting Galchenyuk, though a prospect, would have atleast give us a promising prospect in a position of dire need.

Let’s face it…Replacing COlborne or Kadri is a lot easier than solving the first-line C position. Especially with Lupul, Kulemin (though I hated on him this season), Frattin, McKegg, D’Amigo, etc. can bring on the second-line wings.

Going hard after Schultz, would have given us another mobile defencemen in the back end like Reilly is going to bring.

I just don’t understand where to go from here. It’s a disaster…Toronto wont make the playoffs next year (Even with Luongoo)…But they probably won’t draft this low either. So they will get another mediocre player.

What do you suggest?

That was a joke about the advisors.

I have no suggestions, I think its a mess. And ya, we’re at least 3-5 years away from being competitive if we start to get the train back on the tracks now. So by the time we might have a competitive team Luongo will be in the 36-38 range. There’s really no reason to trade for him.

Leaf fan “But Marty Brodeur made it to the cup final at age 40, and Tim Thomas was 36 last year…”
            – To them I say, Marty Brodeur is a freak, let’s not start comparing anyone to Brodeur, its just not a fair comparison. As for Thomas, he and Luongo are very different goalies. Thomas is a classic late bloomer who got better and better as he perfected his craft (being an unorthodox goalie that’s not as unusual), where as Luongo was a stud at age 23-24, he’s been really good for about ten years, but his play in the last 2 seasons has really slipped. There is a lot of evidence to suggest that Lu will not continue to play at the same level when he’s older, but he’ll probably still be average.

Do we really want an average goalie? Come on, wake up everyone.

• LN91 says:

I know you guys like Grabo…But don’t you think his numbers are a bit inflated since he’s on a bad squad? Like Ponikarovsky and Stajan before him?

Its great to believe in this team and think they’re going to win…But you can’t expect to win with our entire bottom-six, MacArthur and Bozak (whose not a bad player and it’s really unfair to him that we harp on him) as your top-line center.

I will say this though…That Lupul, Kulemin (if returns to 20-20 form), and Kessel (obviously) are not bad top-six wingers. All you really need to fix is a big first-line center position…And Burke has still failed to do that.

Where do you rank Grabo in the league for centres? I believe he is a top 30 centre in the 25 range (counting Carter, Zetterberg, and Marleau as wingers)

Here are my top 30: (NHL.com has Elias as a C, but he barely plays there, and once again I have Zetterberg, J.Carter, and Marleau all as wingers, as well as Pavelski, P.Kane, Sharp, and Filpulla who all play occasional centre.)

1. Crosby

25. Lecavalier
                  26. J.Staal
                  27. Stastny
                  28. Grabovski
                  29. Kesler
                  30. O.Jokinen

….Ribeiro, Plekanec, Desharnais, Roy, Stepan, Henrique, Gagner, Laich, Berglund, and Legwand make 40

• lafleur10 says:

putting grabovski in that list ahead of tomas plekanec who isn’t on your list is laughable he’s a better player than grabovski he’s an all around player too

That’s fair, I mean, Plekanec was a brutal minus player last year, where as Desharnais had a +10 on the same terrible team. Desharnais also out scored Plex.

I’ve always felt that Plekanec was a really good player but I think he’s slipped. He could still bounce back. There’s plenty of room for debate here. But Grabovski is a really good all around player and he’s a lot more aggressive than Plekanec. I stand by my choice.

• lafleur10 says:

plekanec is a better allround player than grabovski he’s a better penalty killer,better facoff the guy can play an offensive role or a shut down role plekanec is better than grabovski has put up more points plekanec would be the 31 center on the leafs almost by default

Plex over the last two years has 39 goals and 70 assists for 109 points. He’s a little soft, but gets the job done, and I agree he’s pretty decent in all area’s, although this last season he was miserable defensively.

Grabovski has 52 goals and 57 assists for 109 points over the last 2 years, same point totals as Plex, although he’s more of a goal scorer obviously. Grabo obviously has a lot more grit, and was an even player this past season, where as Plex was a -15. Grabo was +14 last year, slightly better than Plex. Grabo is also a couple years younger and I believe he has a little more quality hockey left in him, and i stand by my rankings.

50. ZillyHoo says:

The only thing to look forward too next year, save our top five pick again.