NHL News and Rumors – September 3, 2009

Cogliano shaken by proposed trade

No glory for Cory? Canucks top prospect Schneider not worried by Luongo deal

Comrie in limboCogliano shaken by proposed trade

Joanne Ireland, Edmonton Journal

Escaping the subject was not an option for Andrew Cogliano.

He was intrinsically linked to the drawn-out summer trade talk that had him going to the Ottawa Senators, along with Edmonton Oilers teammates Ladislav Smith and Dustin Penner, for sniper Dany Heatley.

“I had people coming up and asking when I was going to go to Ottawa. It’s tough,” Cogliano said on Wednesday. “And when it goes on for a month, you just want to get it behind you. I didn’t know what was going on. I had no idea what was happening. I was just the guy in the middle of all of it.

“I didn’t picture myself leaving Edmonton for a long time,” he continued. “All of a sudden, when it comes out of nowhere, your initial thought and feeling is disappointment.”

One of the shoulders Cogliano leaned on belonged to Oilers captain Ethan Moreau. The veteran said that it was an unusual set of cir*****stances, but that the 22-year-old handled it well.

He also figured that Cogliano and Penner should be able to come up with the 50 goals the club could have had from Heatley, who vetoed the deal when he refused to waive his no-trade clause.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/edmonton-oilers/Cogliano+shaken+proposed+trade/1956915/story.html

No glory for Cory? Canucks top prospect Schneider not worried by Luongo deal

Elliott Pap, Vancouver Sun

Vancouver Canucks goaltending prospect Cory Schneider will be 36 when Roberto Luongo’s contract expires but, as Schneider noted Wednesday, his cir*****stances haven’t really been altered.

He is coming to training camp next week to try and win the backup spot from veteran Andrew Raycroft. His long-term future? Well, that can wait for another day.

“As far as I’m concerned, I’m still a member of the Canucks right now and I plan on making the team and helping them win right now,” said Schneider, 23. “What happens going forward is going to happen. For now, I’m completely focused on making this team.”

Schneider wasn’t surprised by the Luongo extension — “everyone knew it was in the works” — and the length didn’t faze him either.

“Even if it had been a five- or six-year deal, it would have been a long time for me in terms of my development or waiting or whatnot,” he explained. “So I don’t think the length really has much to do with it.”

Schneider, the American Hockey League goalie of the year last season, has more pressing matters anyway. He rolled his ankle doing dryland work about 10 days ago and doesn’t know whether he’ll be completely fit for the opening of training camp Sept. 12.

He is still on his entry-level, two-way contract and doesn’t require waives to be sent down. So any injury-related shortcomings in performance could harm his chances to stick.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/vancouver-canucks/glory+Cory+Canucks+prospect+Schneider+worried+Luongo+deal/1956099/story.html


Comrie in limbo

ROBERT TYCHKOWSKI

The Edmonton Oilers are deciding whether or not to give former Oiler Mike Comrie another tour of duty at Rexall Place.

They are not the only team on Comrie’s radar screen right now, but in a development that’s straight out of the Strange But True file, the unrestricted free agent is seriously considering a return to the town that’s heckled him mercilessly ever since his bitter departure six years ago.

While Comrie is warm to the idea, Oilers management is not unanimous in their desire to bring him back.

That, and the fact that Comrie is still speaking with other teams, means this is no slam dunk.

But the fact it’s even being considered, given that Comrie left town in the second-most volatile break-up in franchise history — Chris Pronger remains No. 1 in Edmonton’s hearts — is jaw-dropping.

His longtime agent Ritch Winter would neither confirm nor deny that Comrie and the Oilers might be ready to let bygones be bygones.

“I’m taking the position on all my unsigned free agents that I’m not making a comment one way or the other,” Winter said last night.

Claiming that he was tired of living in a fishbowl, and insulted by a low-ball contract offer, Comrie demanded a trade in the summer of 2003 and sat out the start of the following season, triggering a long and nasty feud with then general manager Kevin Lowe.

He was finally dealt to Philadelphia in December 2003 (after a trade to Anaheim collapsed when Lowe demanded Comrie pay back several million dollars in signing bonus money before leaving town, which he refused) and in every return visit since he’s been the target of a scorned city’s worst venom.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/columnists/robert_tychkowski/2009/09/03/10729526-sun.html