Category Archives: Arizona Coyotes
With the Coyotes deal falling apart. Could Doan want a move to Vancouver. He only signed in Phoenix because he was told the team was staying
— hockeytraderumors (@hockeytraderumo) February 1, 2013
Prospective Phoenix Coyotes owner Greg Jamison told The Arizona Republic on Monday that he expects to complete his purchase of the team on Wednesday or Thursday this week, just ahead of a crucial deadline associated with Jobing.com Arena in Glendale.
(Special note to Seattle and Canadian hockey fans who were hoping to snare a vagabond Coyotes franchise: Insert your curses in either English or French here.)
Leafs trade Lombardi to Phx for a conditional pick. Toronto also retains some salary in deal.
— Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) January 17, 2013
Coyotes General Manager Don Maloney has yet to see the 2013 version of his team practice, let alone compete in a game, but that hasn’t stopped Maloney from seeking personnel improvement.
In the days leading up to the start of training camp on Sunday, Maloney thought he might have been able to orchestrate a trade and have it waiting in the hopper to execute once the NHL and players’ association agreed to a memorandum of understanding Saturday night that officially ended the lockout.
David Krejci was back on the ice Friday with his Bruins teammates for the first time since heading over to his native Czech Republic to play for HC Pardubice during the lockout, and the 26-year-old pivot said he was aware of the persistent rumors about a possible trade to Phoenix or Anaheim. But he made it clear, as he did last season when the rumors started, that he wants to remain a Bruin.
“I’ve seen it and I have time to go on the Internet, so I know what’s going on,” Krejci said. “I went through lots of things and saw my name there, but there’s nothing I can control. I am happy here, and I hope I haven’t given them any reasons to trade me. So I can’t control it, and I just want to go out there and play my best.”
Last week, Shane Doan made a solemn vow that he would sign somewhere by midnight on September 15th, although his recent history of extended deadlines made us wonder if this was an empty threat.
Turns out it was. According to a recent report by John Gambadoro, a radio host on Sports 620 KTAR in Phoenix, Doan has once again spurned his own deadline. But here’s the twist: the winger has actually moved it ahead for once. Gambadoro says that Doan will sign somewhere by 2pm on September 14th, because all contracts have to be signed by then.
What’s more, “somewhere” is one of only two places: Phoenix… or Vancouver. (Hey! that’s where we live!)
We’ve been real Debbie Downers about the Canucks’ chances thus far, but if Gambadoro’s report is to be believed, you sort of have to like them now. After all, Doan has said that he needs Greg Jamison’s deal with the city of Glendale to go through before he signs that four-year deal with the Coyotes, but what are the odds of that deal getting completed tomorrow? Heck, the last time someone successfully completed a deal to purchase the Coyotes was in 2005.
But don’t get too excited. (Like, you can get kind of excited. But don’t get excited to excess.) If Doan does join the Canucks, it could mean that the Canucks’ other ongoing saga likely won’t wrap up as neatly.
The addition of Doan is likely to hurt Mike Gillis’s attempts to get market value for Roberto Luongo.
The Canucks were hoping a gold-medal winning veteran with a cap hit of about $5 million would be reporting to training camp this month.
And it’s true, one is planning to. But he’s the wrong one.
Roberto Luongo may be in Vancouver next week and prepared to report to camp, if camp ever happens. So he’s in. For now. But Shane Doan appears to be out, according to reports which have him agreeing to a four-year, $21.5 million extension with the Phoenix Coyotes, pending the completed sale of the club to Greg Jamison.
The Canucks had tabled a similar offer, though the money wasn’t quite as much, and still believe they have the best chance to be Doan’s Plan B. But that Plan B is disappearing faster than those polar bears on Lost.
Doan represented an opportunity to significantly and instantly improve the Canucks, which explains why they were pursuing him with a courtship which included a dinner at the city’s Italian Kitchen.
Doan kept saying it wasn’t about the money, and it hasn’t been as the Phoenix deal is significantly less than the $30-million contract he was offered.
In an interview with a Phoenix radio station, Coyotes captain Shane Doan revealed some good news for Coyotes fans.
One, that prospective owner Greg Jamison has secured the money to purchase the Coyotes and two, that he’s agreed to a new deal with the team; he’s just waiting on Jamison to acquire the team to make it official.
“My goal has been to stay here the whole time,” Doan told radio station XTRA 910 in Phoenix. “Don and Tip and the organization have been great. We have a deal worked out that we just want to make sure that the team gets signed and that everything gets done and it gets done before the 15th.”
Doan went on to say that Jamison has the funds to complete the deal to purchase the Coyotes and is optimistic it will go through soon.
“Mr. Jamison has the money. Mr. Bettman has said its all good, according to the NHL, and it’s going to go through. It’s just a matter of getting the lease agreement done now. Obviously that was done earlier. Now there are some things they decided they wanted to change, which obviously can delay things. With that being said, I think that Mr. Jamison and the league have stated it’s really up to Glendale and Glendale, they had it done for a while.”
The perpetually on-again, off-again saga regarding the sale of the Phoenix Coyotes hockey team is on again.
Prospective Coyotes buyer Greg Jamison has brought investment money and partners back into the fold and could soon close on the purchase of the team from the National Hockey League. The sale would keep the team in Glendale at Jobing.com Arena.
Jamison’s group has been trying to buy the Coyotes since last year.
Two sources with knowledge of the three-year-old Coyotes ownership saga say Jamison now has the investors and partners in place to finally buy the Coyotes and a deal could close very soon.
All that comes as free agent Coyotes captain Shane Doan puts off signing with a new team while Jamison tries to close the deal. The fact that Doan has held off signing with a new team could be an indicator that he is waiting on the Coyotes sale to close.
Doan could re-sign with the Coyotes if Jamison can buy the team. He’s also considering the Vancouver Canucks, Pittsburgh Penguins and New York Rangers. The Nashville Predators and Los Angeles Kings could also be in the mix if Doan leaves Phoenix.