Oilers try to sell Schultz on opportunity

It’s almost always “Show me the money” when a player hits the marketplace as an unrestricted free agent (UFA), but the Edmonton Oilers will try to sell Justin Schultz on how much he’s going to play, not how much they’ll pay.

The University of Wisconsin defenceman, who turns 22 on July 6, is the most-talked about item on the Oilers’ shopping list ahead of the July 1 free-agent date.

Schultz’s agent, Wade Arnott (Jason’s brother), will begin hearing pitches from suitors on Wednesday morning at his Newport Sports offices outside Toronto. Schultz will be in attendance.

The defenceman was drafted in the second round by the Anaheim Ducks in 2008, but didn’t want to play there. He used a collective bargaining agreement (CBA) loophole to become an UFA — college players can hit the open market after four years.

Schultz played one season of junior A in the British Columbia Hockey League prior to going to college for three years. For some reason that he’s keeping to himself, the puck-moving D-man doesn’t want to play for the team that drafted him.

36 Responses to Oilers try to sell Schultz on opportunity

1. 93killer93 says:

Here is a list of notable players who weren’t qualified, making them UFA’s.

Blake Comeau
    Cam Barker
    Peter Mueller
    Wojtek Wolski
    Gilbert Brule
    Benoit Pouliot
    Eric Fehr

From Toronto- Marcel Mueller and Korbinian Holzer.

Holzer wasn’t qualified? Really? I’m surprised, given Burke’s comments about him. But this type of thing happens then we see the player signed with his current club after July 1st, regardless. So who the hell knows?

Also, Holzer and Mueller huh? Burke hates Germans, pass it on.

• reinjosh says:

It doesn’t always mean the player won’t sign with the team they weren’t qualified by. It’s been reported Tampa still expects to sign Pouliot.

Often times it has to do with the rules surrounding the QO’s. It’s just easier to let said player become an FA and sign after that.

But this is interesting. I hope we sign Holzer or else we lose yet another physical defender.

2. 93killer93 says:

In regards to my above comment I wouldn’t mind Toronto going after Wolski and Mueller. I think they could be signed cheap short term and could help the team out offensively. Depending on if Burke makes any trades I think Barker and Pouliot could be decent depth signings. Although I’d only sign Barker if we can’t get Suter and Gunnarsson/Franson are moved to get a goalie/forward.

Always been a fan of Wolski. He is a big bodied winger. I doubt he can get back into that 50-60 point range, even though he’s still relatively young at 26, but he could be a 20-20 guy with that big 6’3″ 220 lb frame, and be the type of guy Carlyle could use.

• toronto77 says:

Wolski has never played the same since leaving Colorado.
      I wouldn’t mind taking a chance on Mueller, he had a very long term injury but his upside is huge.
      Cam Barker is one of the biggest top 10 busts in the last 10 years, no thanks, we already have one top defender that isn’t performing as he should in Phaneuf.

3. ZillyHoo says:

How about Comeau?

Comeau I actually really like when I see him play. The few Calgary games I watched last year I really thought he stood out. But then I saw his production, only 5 goals and 15 points in over 70 games? I thought it was a bit odd. Maybe he’s best suited to be a grinder, might be lacking that scoring touch, I’m not really sure.

He did score 24 goals with the Islanders a year ago, so he’s another guy who someone might take a chance on. I wouldn’t hate that signing, but I don’t want him AND Wolski, AND Mueller, it would be overkill on the gambles, haha.

4. JoelLeafs says:

Oats in in Washington. Could be interesting. Hope he gets Ovi back to the exciting levels of 3 seasons ago and beyond. I liked his better two-way play, but he isn’t that player. I want to see more Ovi hits, goals, and missing tooth celebrations on a weekly basis on TSN.

Smart defense may make a better playoff team (though I could contest this point), but explosive offense is way more fun to watch, and this is a business of entertainment, isn’t it?

Wojtek Wolski, 26, 6’3- 220 lbs, born in Poland, raised in Toronto.

2007 – 22 G, 50 Pts in 76 games
    2008 – 18 G, 48 Pts in 77 games
    2009 – 14 G, 42 Pts in 78 games
    2010 – 23 G, 65 Pts in 80 games
    2011 – 12 G, 35 Pts in 73 games
    2012 – 4 G, 12 Pts in 31 games

He’s obviously coming off a miserable couple years after going to New York and finishing off last year with Florida, but like 93Killer said, could be a good gamble at the right price. He’s still only 26, hardly washed up, and could be a big body that Carlyle could use.

• ZillyHoo says:

Lupul – JVR – Kessel
      Wolski – Grabs- Kulemin

Goodbye Mac and Kadri?

• 93killer93 says:

I think Wolski and even Kulemin could drop to the 3rd line if needed. Maybe Something like,

While I think Kadri would be better suited for the wing in the top six, playing between two big guys who can score could be a good fit for him. Or package one of Mac/Kulemin and Gunnarsson/Franson for an upgrade upfront.

• toronto77 says:

I actually like the idea of Mueller as the no.1 centre but don’t know if he would be up to it. I think he would be a perfect no.2 centre, which isn’t bad….just like Bozak is a perfect no.3 centre.

I know he had a long term injury, did he even play well in Colorado this year?? I know he only played like 30 games.

I never knew Mueller was a UFA this summer? he may be the best centremen available. In terms of FA’s, I say Burke makes him no.1 priority, unless he feels he can grab a better player through trade.

Ya, Kulemin and Wolski would be good as 3rd line wingers, and they could move up into the 2nd line to try different combo’s if need be, or in case of injuries. I definitely wouldn’t say goodbye to MacArthur after signing Wolski, we’re gonna need options.

• 93killer93 says:

Exactly it lets us roll 3 lines and in the case of injury, or a first line centre becomes available, it let’s Burke make a move without hurting the team too much depth wise. Even Pouliot would be a nice 3rd/4th line guy if we can sign him cheap.

• nordiques100 says:

soft, injury prone, inconsistent, small, no leadership. no thanks.

that lineup may be talented, but, there is absolutely no battle there.

Mueller is a headshot waiting to happen.

Wolski is no good. His attitude, work ethic stink.

Kulemin, while nice to have on line 3, is I think deserving to be among the top 6, along side Grabovski.

The team needs leaders and players with heart, desire and grit.

Carlyle is the coach now, not Wilson. This is a Wilson lineup.

• reinjosh says:

For the love of all that is good, no.

Wolski has talent, he has shown some potential, but he is everything that is wrong with talented players. He has no work ethic, he floats by one skill, and he doesn’t use his size in any way.

Please, please, please leave him alone Burke.

6. ZillyHoo says:

I love Mat’s reaction. Grats, favorite all time player and hero.

7. Gambo says:

I really hope the Leafs can sign Shane Doan. Size, leader.

This would make Kadri and Macarthur options to trade

Shane Doan and Ryan Smyth are great options as UFA’s for a veteran leader. Doan especially but I’d sign both on one year deals. Similar to what St.Louis did last year with Arnott and Langenbrunner, and I really think those signings went a long way in adding great leaders to a young dressing room.

8. ZillyHoo says:

I have a feeling grabbing Mueller is like grabbing another Conolly…

But Mueller is 24, and right before his concussion he was killing it. Connolly was already 30 when we signed him. And I actually think there were stretches last year where Connolly was pretty good. He’s kind of like that he has one good year, one bad, you never know what to expect. He’s totally the type to bounce back next year, maybe put up 55 points or so. Plus it is a contract year.

• ZillyHoo says:

Well, Mueller has missed a ton of games the past few seasons, and hasn’t played center since his Phoenix/junior days.

I like Conolly too, after the injuries he seemed to slow down though. He was playing a point per game earlier during the season, then he just couldn’t keep up later.

• Gambo says:

Yeah I’m with you. I still think there is a chance that Mueller can be a surprise but I don’t see it being a good signing for the leafs. They don’t need a potentially alright player, they need someone much more experienced and promising.

9. reinjosh says:

I want Shane Doan. If we’re signing a winger whose name isn’t Parise, the only other guy I want is Doan. He’s honestly everything we need. Top 6 size that also has grit and grind attached to it. But more importantly? Leadership.