Overrated and Underrated Players
Have you been listening to some of these rumours lately? Players that were hardly even looked at are being thrown around in rumours, in packages including top prospects and good round-picks. I’m going to analyze some of the players that aren’t worth much and players that are good but aren’t given enough credit.
To start of with the Overrated Players, I think there are many who are being mentioned in trade talk. Some are good and some are having a good season but will that last?
Here are my thoughts on this, in no specific order:
1. Sergei Gonchar- He’s been mentioned in trade talks especially to the Leafs but the Devils, Stars and even the Predators have been mentioned. He is a really good point scorer, and he could probably play on the third line for a team that could get struck with injuries but seriously that’s not really his job. He’s average in his own end. I think for the Leafs this trade is inevitable but I personally wouldn’t do it. He is earning 3.5 mil this year and is a RFA soon, and he will probably go to arbitration where he will easily get 5.5-6.5 mil. Leafs could afford it but they really need someone who is a defensive defenseman like… Brendan Witt, or Keith Carney but I think those players aren’t coming to Toronto.
2. Jeff O’ Neill- He isn’t all that he is said to be. He is a mid-range point scorer and isn’t playing all that great this season with 12 goals but could help a team that is needing a player to chip in occasionally and have a break-out season maybe next year. Places where he could be going are Montreal, Philadelphia, Vancouver, and New Jersey.
3. Brian Leetch- He’s a good player but all the hype is too much! He’s probably not going anywhere because he would be a rental and wants to finish his career with the Rangers. He is also kind of old, maybe a couple of years from hanging up the skates.
4. Alexei Kovalev- A good offensive threat but would he be able to mesh in with the new team that quick? I don’t think so personally because look at his numbers this year with the Rangers, 41 points pretty low from a point scorer’s average and this is his first full season with the Rangers. Places where he could be heading are, Avs, and the Wings if they want to insure themselves. But he really can’t produce outside of Pittsburgh.
Now to talk about the underrated players who just duck the media radar and score on a team that might suck, not all but some.
1. Dick Tarnstrom- I don’t understand, he’s a good player but why can’t he score goals at even strength? He’s scored 10 of his 11 goals on the PP, and any team that need PP support could get him but I don’t think the Pens want to part with him but hey, they’re dumb enough to do it.
2. Rick Nash- Okay, this guy is not an underachiever but I had to mention him somewhere. Is he really underrated? I don’t really think so. He had an article In SI about him and he wants to date Britney Spears, and that’s what i find funny about him. He is a great player and is the only real scoring power on Columbus. He didn’t have that sophomore jinx and kind of really traumatized alot of goalies. 33 goals in 63 games, I’m guessing he’s ending up with 40-45.
3. Joe Thornton- I don’t think Joe gets as much attention as he should. He’s a great player and a key to the Bruins’ success. He needs to get more attention as a player because he’s.. him.
4. David Aebischer- Now he was a little jittery at the start of the year but he has really been tremendous of late. I think that he can carry the Avs a long way into the playoffs. Partially why he’s playing so great is because he’s built up his self-esteem. Rumours talking about bringing in Kolzig can’t be making him feel good. But that might be a good idea if he loses a game or two in the playoffs and collapses, then they could bring in Kolzig who also might collapse…
These are just some of the overrated and underrated players that I think should be brought to attention. I want to hear who you think should be on the list, and who shouldn’t if anybody.