When the Flyers traded Ryan Parent for future unrestricted free agent Dan Hamhuis last week, they thought they had found a top defenseman who would play a five position.
Late Friday night, the club traded Hamhuis’ rights to Atlantic Division rival Pittsburgh for a third-round pick next year. Why? Because negotiations had stalled – not over money or length (the Flyers would have given him at least $4 million a year on a four-year deal), but over something more tangible: playing time and position.
TSN is reporting that the Canucks and Panthers have made a trade that will see the Canucks first round choice and Michael Grabner go to Florida for a Package that includes Keith Ballard and another player.
More updates will come as we receive clarification
Isles dangling 5th overall pick
Rangers could trade up or down in draft
Team drafting plan to deal Marc Savard, Tim Thomas
Volchenkov and Ottawa close to deal?
1. NHL trades could trump draft-day news
2. Tim Thomas following Craig Ramsay to the Atlanta?
3. Devils want Souray?
4. All’s Quiet (Almost) on Eve of NHL Draft
5. Dan Hamhuis’ neg rights to Canucks?
6. Could the Kings make a deal for Kovalchuk’s rights?
1. More Bruins-Oilers talk expected
2. Blues want to make a deal for Keith Ballard?
3. More Stuff from The Panthers at the NHL Draft
4. Clubs not lining up to acquire Spezza
5. Sources: Flyers Inquire About Boston Goalie Thomas