Of course, things can change at a moment’s notice but the Leafs’ wish list is very specific, they want a top six forward with size who can score.

And there just aren’t too many of them floating around right now.

James van Riemsdyk has a concussion, he’s not a factor for the Leafs at this point.

Jeff Carter has a contract that Leaf GM Brian Burke would have difficulty taking on, especially when the Leaf GM has been so vocal against those long-term deals with the bogus years at the end.

Anaheim isn’t moving Bobby Ryan or any of their big boys right now.

Tampa’s Ryan Malone was a player Toronto tried hard to get last year but now that his contract is waning and more affordable, Tampa has less interest than ever in moving him.

The Leafs, for the right top six forward, would consider trading a defenceman such as Luke Schenn or Carl Gunnarson but no one is knocking down the Leaf door to get one of them at this point and they’re playing well.

At times this season, Toronto has made available players such as Clarke MacArthur or Nikolai Kulemin but they’re starting to score and play well so if anything the price is going up for them and, at this time, no one is biting hard on them.

1. LeafsNation4Ever says:

Same topic over and over again.

Also Eberle's been a beast, and Gagner's been playing really well lately
  2. hockey_lover says:

I also heard that Burke had some crackers and peanut butter the other day. This MUST mean his appetite is changing and thus, will require a trade 😛

3. dumbassdoorman says:

Is he switching to Cheez whiz & celery, cause he should, lol

Hey in other breaking news Scott Gomez scored a goal last night, apparently he attended a peewee game, but it was later takien away because they found out he altered his birth certificate to play

4. reinjosh says:

I heard the crackers were all grain. He's trying to get a little healthy for trade season 😛

5. dumbassdoorman says:

Well that changes everything…….though according to the commercials, I think he should switch to nutella(?)…….and Ovaltine.

6. dumbassdoorman says:

Hey did anyone else compete in the hockey pool? lol…..I know I didn't win, just wonder how bad i did lol?

7. reinjosh says:

Interesting read on why no deals have been made as of yet. Essentially only about 5 teams exist as sellers and almost 20 teams are buyers calling those 5 teams, about the same players making the prices retardedly high. Poile doesn't really expect anything to change until very close to the deadline when more teams work their way out of playoff contention.
    One thing he mentioned is that not only does he not have any deals on the work, but no one does because of the prices.
    And for anyone that cares, he is looking to make a Forsberg like blockbuster deal to really make the Preds a true competitor.
  8. reinjosh says:

I second the nutella switch. Nutella and all-grain combo would make Burke unstoppable. His foes wouldn't be able to resist getting taken in trades.

9. hockey_lover says:

This thread rules lolol

10. dumbassdoorman says:

Hey did you hear why Kessel is feeding Lupul the puck so much this year?

11. thisgamewelose says:

I'll bite. Why?

That makes sense. This is the year for Nashville to deal off 1st roundrrs/prospects and other aspects to try to go for it. They won't be able to keep this core intact much longer, and they're having a fantastic season, I believe this is the year to make their big move. Might not work out, but every team gets their "window" and this is a good chance for Nashville.

This article makes sense. I don't think we should do anything too drastic this year either. This is not really the year to "go for it" and we still have the youngest team in the East, so stick with the core. If there are any moves we can do to say flip a veteran for a younger asset (ie Lombardi for a pick or prospect) then that's fine, but I wouldn't wanna see a big shake up.

The only big move I'd like to see would be moving Schenn, or Komisarek, or Aulie for a comparible forward. Schenn for JVR was an interesting example of this, Komisarek for Malone would be cool, Aulie for Sam Gagner would have been cool in November, don't think we can get it now.

Summer 'would be' trade turned down by Burkie:

Mike Richards
    Age: 27, Cap Hit: $5.75 million (through 2020, 8 more seasons after this)
    2011 stats:
    GP- 81 G-23 A-43 PTS-66 //PIM-62, +11
    2012 stats:
    GP- 45 G-14 A-12 PTS-26 //PIM-52, +2

Nikolai Kulemin
    Age: 25, Cap Hit: $2.45 (RFA this summer)
    2011 stats:
    GP- 82 G-30 A-27 PTS-57 //PIM-26, +7
    2012 stats:
    GP- 53 G-5 A-18 PTS-23 // PIM-6, +4

Now, I know Richards brings more to the table besides his modest stats, but the same can be said about Kulemin, and neither player is having a good year by any stretch. I think this was a good non-trade by Burke, and Kulemin is going to come in on a good cap hit and be more valuable cap-wise than Richards, not to mention more manageable because Burke won't get Kuley on a 10 year contract.

Plus we kept Kadri, who looks like he's developing into a solid player and someone who's going to contibute for us.

15. dumbassdoorman says:

He bet him he would put his name spelled backwards on his jersey for the whole season…

The reason I bring this up is because of the nature of this article, about the Leafs potentially not doing anything significant, and I think Burke will make a good judgement call on whether or not to hold onto some of his players, rather than trading for the "name." Had he made this Richards trade for example, I'm not so sure we'd be better off right now at all in the short term, and we'd be handcuffed a lot more in the long term.

17. leafmeister says:

Disagree. Richards would have played with Kessel and Lupul and probably would be on pace for 70+ points. The Leafs are a high octane offensive team, and Richards would have added both his offensive prowess, which is diminished because of his team, along with his penalty killing, defensive play, and leadership.

Lupul – Richards – Kessel
    MacArthur – Grabovski – Lombardi
    Frattin – Bozak – Crabb
    Brown – Steckel – Armstrong
    I would take that over the current roster no question.
  18. Steven_Leafs says:

I'm pretty sure the Leafs just got outbid by LA, but still a nice non-trade for Toronto (i guess).

19. 93killer93 says:

I want Nashville to go for it all these next two seasons.  Move out Erat, Legwand picks and prospects.  Go after one of the Big 3 from Anaheim, and try to get Parise in the Summer.

20. reinjosh says:

Erat and Legwand are actually core pieces. Erat is the most consistent forward the Preds have offensively, and Legwand plays a very underrated 2 way game.

21. reinjosh says:

Yeah good call. If you have a shot, and a good one at that, I've always been a fan of going for a cup. You can't pass up those oppurtunities.

22. reinjosh says:

I contend that. There is no guarantee that Richards would have played well between Kessel and Lupul.

I would say Kulemin has everything Richards has save for leadership. He's shown he can do just about everything Richards can, albeit it at a possible lower level. Richards hasn't really displayed that he is a top line center in this league yet, so I think I agree with mojo here.
    I still think Kulemin plays a very quiet game that goes unnoticed. Call me "in love" with mediocre, I don't care. He's a core piece and I'm glad he wasn't traded away.
    No guarantee Richards would have done anything more than Kulemin has right now. By all logic, Richards should be producing at the same level he was before (30 goals, 30 – 40 assists). He's playing behind an established top line guy in Kopitar. He gets to play with a former 30 goal guy in Brown.
  23. MystifoLeafs says:

Interesting tidbit in a Oiler fans blog. Talks about Edmonton taking the step forward and bringing in a proven player for their first round pick. What interested me was he said would TO be interested in…

EDM 1st 2012
    While I can see why someone would be willing to do this because lets face were leafs fan we suffered though multiple years of this I still don't see Tambo offering up a possible top 3 pick in this years draft for Luke Schenn. But then again if this did happen…
    Lupul – Grigorenko – Kessel
    Kulemin – Grabovski – MacArthur
    That just makes me giddy.
  24. 93killer93 says:

I like them both but considering their age and cap hit, if they can grab Parise and one of the anaheim players i would consider moving them.

25. thisgamewelose says:

The contract makes me questions the trade. But, I do think that Richards would be much more productive on the leafs. I think it would be a trade that benefits the leafs at least for a few years.

26. thisgamewelose says:

Yeah, it won't happen. If anything, they would just make a trade to drop down from the number 1 which will benefit them, then grab the top D.  That option in 10x better than simply grabbing Schenn.

27. glotz_99 says:

If Burke could trade komisarek I would do a backflip.
    Ryan Malone has 3 yrs left at 4.5 Million
    Komisarek has 2 yrs left at 4.5 Million
    Even though Malone is going to be 35 when his contract expires and had only 14 goals last year and has only 10 so far this year, he  would add some veteran leadership and playoff experience.

Leafs would probably have to add more, maybe throw in a prospect like Mikus, Holzner, or a 4th line guy like Crabb or Dupuis

28. leafmeister says:

Nobody is saying Kulemin is bad. I mean, his production is horseshit this year, but I do like what he adds to the team. However, you have to give quality to get quality, and Richards is quality. The guy has been a PPG player before, and on this high octane Leaf team, playing with two of the leagues hottest scorers, I think we can assume he would be putting up better numbers.

He is on the lowest scoring team in the league. (Still out producing Kulemin mind you) Put him between Kessel and Lupul and I guarantee he would be on pace for at least 65 points.
    Richards adds all of the intangibles you would hate to lose with Kulemin, fills a bigger need on the roster, adds leadership to a young roster, adds more scoring, and would probably cut down on goals against too, seeing as he would be playing with Kessel and Lupul who can have defensive breakdowns.
    Of course there is no guarantee, but it really doesnt take much to beat Kulemin this year, and I maintain that Richards would be having a much better season were he with the Leafs.
  29. mapleleafsfan says:

Agreed, they'd rather trade down and grab murrary or someone.. No point in moving for schenn now. Unless it's Schenn++.

30. reinjosh says:

I still don't think its a guarantee that Richards has a better year. WHo knows how adding changes the team. Richards was just traded from his team, a team that he was a Captain of, a team many thought he would be on for the rest of his career. That's a big red flag isn't it? Now he's on pace for his worst season in years? Coincidence? Maybe not.

I'm more playing Devils advocate with this. Richards was never a top line center. He was always a high end two guy like Kesler. Those guy play best behind top line guys (or so I thought). Him being traded could be the reason he isn't doing as well. It's affecting him and he can't overcome it. A possibility?
    And Richards isn't actually doing that much better than Kulemin right now…
    I'm just playign Devil's advocate. It probably would have worked out, but there is a large chance it wouldn't have. Maybe there is a reason why both Carter and Richards have not worked out so far…
  31. reinjosh says:

I agree. I would 100 percent trade Schenn for Grigorenko but why would they if they have a shot at Murray?

I could see the possibility existing if they push there pick up to 6th through 9th and Murray and Dumba are both off the table. THey may want a guy with NHL experience all ready over a guy like Reinhart or Reilly and if Glachneyuk is still available it could be a beneficial trade for both sides.
  32. leafmeister says:

So you don't think going from the worst offensive team the league to one of the best would make him score more? His numbers this year are really not hard for a player of his calibre to beat. Kulemin's numbers are especially easy to top.

33. JoelLeafs says:

Bold statement.

34. Steven_Leafs says:

yeah I'm 99% sure Richards would produce extremely well on the Leafs, probably close to a point per game (Lupul and Kessel are over a point a game right now). Although with Richards we lose Kulemin, Kadri and at least a 2nd (maybe a 1st to outbid LA), and because of his cap hit we would not have signed Connolly (and if we did, then we would not have the cap space to trade for Franson/Lombardi). Although we would most likely be better off this year, we definitely would not have the depth.

35. Steven_Leafs says:

and considering Schenn would likely improve Edmonton's pick to take it out of the top 5 which is a great pick but completely redundant for the Leafs right now. Which means Toronto would only do this if they were getting a NHL forward back (Hemsky, MPS, Omark, whatever) which is a huge rip off for Edmonton.

Plus as everyone already said, there is very little point in Edmonton doing this when without Schenn they are almost guaranteed a top 3 pick which they can use to draft Murray.

Nice idea though.

36. MystifoLeafs says:

Honestly even the top 5 pick would be pretty sweet because Galchenyuk would be nice. Interesting point about Galchenyuk his father is a former hockey player and is from Belerus/USSR. So with the Grabovski connection in Toronto (Assuming he resigns.) It would be interesting for him to go to a team with a player from his homeland. Also if he did fill in to our number 1 needs down the road I think we would be the first NHL team to ever have a 1,2 Belerusian punch. Just a pipe dream. As for the draft pick I should point out the trade was specified at the draft. Not at the deadline. So chances our Edmonton would not move as much but as I and others have said I doubt they would.

On a side note I think Dumba goes before Murray. Dumba brings a more all around game than Murray and in this league 1 dimensional defensemen are pointless, you need to be able to carry the puck up the ice while having the ability to cover your ass.
  37. TheLeafNation91 says:

I agree with you leafmesiter.

How can you ignore a top-six forward with great leadership qualities? Gold medal with Team Canada? Stanley Cup final experience? Very responsible defensively? As well, the guys young.

I really think Leaf fans are starting to overvalue some players (cough, Kadri)…Kulemin too. He has had 1 good season, so I don't know how he brings what Richards would bring?

Now, I do agree when josh says he's a first-line center. HOWEVER, I do believe he would bring something better then those 2 would.

38. TheLeafNation91 says:

Let's get one thing straight here peopl.

Burke is not content with this team, so don't overvalue and think its 'good enough'. The reason he will do nothing at the trade deadline is because no one will give him what he wants.

He wants a power forward that can score goals…No idiot will give those up since they are a rarity. Why else would he take a major risk on JVR?

Makes sense?

39. reinjosh says:

I'm just playing devils advocate here haha. I was cool in the summer doing that deal. I'm a huge Richards fan. But come on, you can't tell me that something might be off with him? Just maybe?

40. reinjosh says:

Did any of say this good enough? No, we said we're cool waiting and doing nothing because it can still grow. Come on.

41. TheLeafNation91 says:

Woops, I meant to say you thought he was not a first-line center.

I don't think something is off with him…Their is just something wrong with Los Angeles this year in general. I don't think he's the one to point fingers at.

Come on, Dustin Penner got injured eating pancakes? Every player, offensively, has been invisible. They do not have any pure goal-scorers.

But that is not Mike Richards as well, he brings the complete package, so to rely on him for goals is ridiculous.

42. TheLeafNation91 says:

Grow to what? At the end of the day, the issues that are present today will be present tommorow. The players that Burke is looking for is what were lacking.

43. reinjosh says:

YEah I got that haha. I figured you meant that.

I suppose. I don't, I just look at Carter as well and think maybe they just aren't as good as they were in Philly. The thought is a small one, as I think they are too good to say like this but I have this nagging feeling there might be something to that though, at least in part.
  44. reinjosh says:

Well a perfect example is the PK. They grew as a team and as players and have slowly worked on that. Defensive play will come as well. Goaltending will come as well. Not letting up and playing a full game with come with time.

My point wasn't to just ignore the possibility of going after a big top 6 player but rather we can wait on one. It's not a pressing need that will make or break this team. At all.
  45. TheLeafNation91 says:

Well, it would of made a difference tonight…And one would be really valued on Thursday.

46. mapleleafsfan says:

Tonight was frustrating for sure. Winnipeg suck, we should've stomped them but didn't come out to play. First goal was a joke too. Defence shoulda easily gotten the second one.

But overall I'm happy for the time being. I completely agree the team needs some pretty big additions in the size and center department but we are playing well and looking like a playoff team. If nothing is available for a reasonable price right now I say go with what we have. No addition we make is getting us the cup this year anyways, no use in overpaying. Finish this year in 7th or 8th hopefully, probably lose first round then see what we can do come draft day/free agency. That may be accepting mediocrity but considering we aren't a winning team this year regardless I don't wanna dump our prospect pool for a player that doesn't put this team over the top.
    I was watching some of the devils/rangers game today and my god I hope burke can grab parise somehow. He's better than kessel and plays the other wing. I wouldn't break up Lupul/Kessel but having parise on the 2nd line would be deadly. If we could then grab a first line center, even if it's not a true 1A (but a solid 1B like kreijci etc), and a solid PF through trade or UFA in the offseason I think we could become contenders.
  47. NonLeafFansAreGay says:

hahhahah nice one

48. reinjosh says:

So Lupul and Hartnell are seemingly breaking out at age 28 and 29. PA Parenteau is on proving he is a top 6 player after finally getting a shot at age 27 last year. Matt Moulson has done the same thing, on pace for his third 30 goal season after finally being given a true shot at 25 (he's 28 now).

What does this say about player development?
  49. JoelLeafs says:

The youngest team in the NHL (think that still stands) and in a playoff position. Do you think in general players get worse as they progress through their twenties? I'm not going to argue that every player will get better and be here in 1-3 years, but as a whole they will get better. Leafs could use a bit of size, but they aren't a rough-and-tumble team; they rely on speed to get goals.

Trades are not always the way to go. How many blockbuster trades did the previous few cup finalists make before their runs?