After failing to land a top defenseman through free agency, the Detroit Red Wings are looking to bolster their back end via trade.

A team source confirmed the Red Wings are talking with the Calgary Flames about making a deal for veteran defenseman Jay Bouwmeester, who has been the subject of trade rumors for more than a month.

The Red Wings are attempting to solidify their defensive corps with a trade because no top defensemen remain available through free agency.

Bouwmeester became expendable in Calgary when the Flames signed Dennis Wideman to a five-year, $26.25 million deal and the Red Wings need help on defense after captain Nicklas Lidstrom retired and Brad Stuart was traded to San Jose before he could sign with the Sharks as a free agent.

Wideman’s contract hiked Calgary’s payroll to $66.6 million, which is under the $70.2 million salary cap. But if the cap is reduced as expected when a new collective bargaining agreement is reached, that could force the Flames to dump salary and the possibility might reduce their asking price for Bouwmeester.

46 Responses to Red Wings talking to Calgary Flames about making trade for veteran defenseman Jay Bouwmeester

1. reinjosh says:

Interesting. Makes sense. Detroit has a need for a puck mover and while Bouwmeester hasn’t played like one in Calgary, he still is one. Could be an interesting fit.

What would the Flames want pack? Prospects and picks? Maybe although the team appears to be looking for a retool strategy so maybe that doesn’t make sense.

I’d love to get my hands on Nyquist as a Flames fan.

• nordiques100 says:

they’re at like what, 68 mil? cap relief would help.

I think they’d want a Dman back who is NHL experienced. Maybe Quincey or Ericsson or Kindl.

Nyqvist is probable. I don’t think they’d get as much as Filppula or something that good.

Detroit has no problems giving up 1sts.

So maybe Nyqvist, Ericsson (or Quincey) and a 1st. Seems fair. You get a cheaper, but experienced Dman who’d add some needed size back there, Nyqvist is a real good prospect in the Wings organization and the 1st is not a bad start should the Flames fall off the wagon and need rebuilding later on.

• reinjosh says:

I’d think that’s fair. I think Feaster would shoot for Filppula, especially after signing Hudler, but that’s more than fair I think.

AlbertaTeams? If you stayed on post format change

• albertateam says:

I could see Filppula, but I doubt the wings move him. The target should be Brendan Smith. I just hope the Flames can get a bidding war between Philly and Detroit. If the flames can’t get an overpayment they should hold onto J-bo. Trading him would leave a big whole to fill, guys that play close to 30 minutes a game against other teams top forwards don’t grow on trees. J-bo might be overpaid put he’s still a top pairing guy on almost every team.

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

personally I think the value is too much for Detroit to give up, but assuming that is a decent cost for Bouwmeester I cannot see Calgary taking back another D-man as the main piece.

Calgary needs a top 6 forward a lot more than they need a top 4 D-man.

• nordiques100 says:

I don’t think so. They have Cervenka, Hudler, Cammellari, Baertschi, Iginla and Tanguay as their projected top 6. They’d probably like to upgrade the centre position but again, the value here for them is cap relief.

And the D would have left Wideman, who was on the Caps 3rd pairing, Giordano, who struggled a bit last year with injuries, Sarich who is more a 3rd pairing guy, Butler is a 3rd pairing guy, Brodie is a 3rd pairing guy and Babchuk is too a 3rd pairing guy. Their D isnt great by any means, and their best D prospect, Patrick Sieloff is probably 3-4 years away.

To me, its probably best they lose Giordano instead but his cap hit is more reasonable than Bouw’s 6.8 mil. They definitely IMO need D back to at least have a blueline by committee.

I think Feaster will wait anyways, til like mid-season and see where the Flames are. They could be really gutted by the deadline if they prove to be another pretender than a contender.

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

Biggest issue: you have Cervenka and Baertschi in the top 6. Maybe they will be ready for top 6 minutes and be great at it but it is a long shot atm.

Honestly I have no idea what Bouwmeester is worth in a deal right now, the offers that are being thrown around are a big high IMO but who knows, maybe their right.

In any case I would aim to get a top 6 forward and if you can a replacement top 4 d-man or again if you can two top 6 forwards for Bouwmeester, either way get another top 6 and best case both Cervenka and Baertschi work out and you have 3 strong lines.

• albertateam says:

That doesn’t include Glen X, Stempniak, or Backlund all of whom played in the top six at times last year.

If they could get a top line center for Jay then for sure, but I don’t see a need for 2nd or 3rd line players. Maybe a little more speed and grit in the bottom 6.

This is the issue I have with trading Jay, it opens a big hole on the defense and doesn’t fill a need unless a top line center or top prospects / draft picks are acquired in return.

• reinjosh says:

His value is less related to his play and more so to the what he is on Calgary.While he may not be a top line dman on every team in the league, he is a top line dman. He may be overpaid but there aren’t may dman in the league that play as much as he does with as litte offensive zone starts as he does.

Losing him is a gigantic loss for Calgary. Thus it makes little sense to trade him unless they get a good price, bordering on overpayment. Cap relief isn’t enough because what are theya going to spend it on? Not much at the moment.

Calgary has a lot of top 6 potential forwards at the moment. Hudler, Cammy, Iggy, Tangauay are all legitimate top 6 players. Gelncross has proven over the past two seasons he is a capable pwoer forward who can pot 20 goals and 40 points and shown over the past 4 seasons he can play at a 40 point level. So that’s 5 top 6 guys. Toss in Baerstchi/Cervenka/Backlund who are fighting for that final spot and your lacking in spots for forwards.

It’s not a terrible forward corps. Certainly a top line player would nice for Bouwmeester but really that’s unlikely. Why settle for a 2nd line player? Filpulla would be nice but I don’t think Detroit wants to give him up and the Flames wouldn’t have a fit for him.

Really I think AlbertaTeams is correct. A dman almost needs to be coming back. Brendan Smith would be perfect although I’m not sure they would want to give him up.

• albertateam says:

Calgary’s line up with out J-bo would essentially look like:

Tanguay Cammy Iginla
                Glen X Cervanka Hudler
                Baertschi Backlund Stempniak
                Comeau Jones Jackman
                ex: Stajan, Bouma

Gio Wideman
                Butler Sarich
                Brodie Babchuk
                ex: Smith

Kipper
                Irving
                Karlsson

The biggest weakness with that line up is a top line center and a top 4 dman.

Really the only place to dramatically improve the forwards is a top line center and move Cammy back to the wing. The defense without J-bo is pretty questionable. Why trade a top pairing guy just so you have to go out and get another top 4? The only reason would be if you were able to get an overpayment.

With Jay the flames have 3 legit top 4 D men (Gio, Jay and Wideman) and 2 guys that could potentially be top 4 in Brodie and Butler. Without Jay your asking at least 2 guys to play over their head.

Out of the three teams rumored to be interested in Jay I think St Louis has the best pieces to fit the Flames needs.

• reinjosh says:

I agree. They have an abundance of pieces that they could give with relatively little loss.

I think St Louis is a better fit for Bouwmeester too. They can fit the cap hit quite easily (and now with a new owner, cashflow isn’t as big an issue). He’d fit their need of a left handed top pairing dman, and he’s almost a perfect fit with Pietrangelo. The sort of solid, unassuming presence that settles things down. Plus he’d probably be more at home in a less crazy atmosphere, unlike say Philly.

Although I know Blues fans are more keen on Girodano than Bouwmeester.

• albertateam says:

I wonder if the Flames could get Berglund? St Louis is loaded with young forwards plus he’s an RFA at the end of the year.

Cal: Berglund, Polak
                    Stl: J-bo, pick or prospect

• reinjosh says:

I think it would have to come closer to the deadline. They signed him to that 2 year deal to see who he was. I think it makes sense for them to hold out a little longer.

But Berglund would be awesome. I would be very, very happy with him.

• albertateam says:

I disagree, I will be very disappointed if the Flames trade Jay for a low return. It’s got to be an over payment or keep him. I don’t see a forward Detroit would move that improves Calgary’s top 6.

I could see 2 dmen being included. Maybe Derek Smith, I’m sure they’d move Babchuyk but I doubt Detroit wants his salary.

A couple of ideas:

Cal: B. Smith, Helm, 1st or good prospect
          Det: J-bo, D. Smith

or

Cal: Fillpula, Abdelkader, 1st
          Det: J-bo, Backlund

Probably an overpayment in both trades but why move him if it’s not?

2. Gambo says:

I heard a rumor that Toronto has offered 2013 1st, Grabovski, Kadri and Frattin for Getzlaf.

That is steep, I mean really really steep. I’d do it though. The 1st is risky, but getting another “All Star” should boost Toronto into the playoffs.

The McClement signing never really made that much sense to me, since Burke stated he would be their 3rd line center. If this trade were to happen, Getzlaf would occupy 1st line center obviously and Bozak could take 2nd line center which he is better suited than 1st or 3rd.

I see their lineup being one of these two ways as of right now(If that trade happens)

Lupul-Getzlaf-Kessel
    Macarthur-Bozak-JVR
    Kulemin-McClement-Connolly
    Lombardi-Steckel-Brown

or

JVR-Getzlaf-Kessel
    Macarthur-Bozak-Lupul
    Kulemin-McClement-Connolly
    Lombardi-Steckel-Brown

Hopefully Lombardi won’t be in the lineup so someone grittier can take that spot. I don’t really mind having Connolly play 3rd line with Kulemin. This line would be defensively sound and could produce offense.

• nordiques100 says:

there is still a lot of dead wood in this lineup sadly.
      I am surprised one person, yourself, would take it. i’m predicting the majority would be very against this move.

its a tough decision to make. I know for sure Leaf fans will just say, lets wait for him to be a free agent.

but, a) who knows what the landscape would be and b) could toronto, with Burke, compete with any other team for free agents? that’s a tough call. Burke puts the Leafs at a serious disadvantage when it comes to free agents because while he’d offer 5 years, if other teams throw more term and more money, he’s not going to compete with that. But again, what’s the landscape going to be.

its why if this is true, he has to pay though the nines to get top players here. he has to bring these types of players here, already signed, and i think then he feels in a better position to re-sign them at the dollar and term he can live with.

• leafmeister says:

Lupul – Getzlaf – Kessel
      MacArthur – JVR – Connolly
      Kulemin – McClement – Bozak
      Lombardi – Steckel – Brown

Phaneuf – Gardiner
      Franson – Gunnarsson
      Liles – Holzer
      Komisarek

Bozak is not a top 6 center. Without Kessel and Lupul he would not have brushed the modest offensive numbers he did manage. Despite not playing center in the NHL, JVR’s natural skill will make him win out over Bozak.

Beyond the top line, the team sucks, and would have very little hope of getting better beyond signing Perry in the off-season.

I would try and substitute that 2013 1st for something.

How about: Grabovski, Franson, Frattin, Colborne, Conditional 2013 1st (if the Leafs make the playoffs)

Still guts the roster, but at least this way if it doesnt work out the Leafs would still have that 1st.

• 93killer93 says:

I think at this point Burke has to wait for the new CBA. I would be fine with giving up that package as long as Getzlaf was going to resign with us. We’re not in a position to give up that much for just one season with him. Make the trade and sign him, and then pray to God that with Burke, Carlyle and Getzlaf here Perry will follow.

• Gambo says:

For sure. I forgot to add that on. Exactly what you said, no way can they give up all that, especially the 1st with a lockout.

• 93killer93 says:

I think after the CBA is taken care of, we’ll see Burke make some moves. If there is in fact a lockout I hope he goes after Perry and Getzlaf’s rights. Grabbing those two guys instantly changes the dynamic of the team.

• kessel_leafs81 says:

i agree that burke should wait for the CBA before dealing the first round pick but i completely disagree with leafmeister with his lines and how week the roster is. No disrespect but you say bozak isnt a top 6 forward but connolly is? and bozak is too sound defensively and good on faceoffs to be playing wing and does have very good chemistry with kessel and lupul. I know the whole point of getting getz would be too play with kessel but i see them trying out the roster like this after losing grabo.

JVR – Getzlaf – macarthur
            lupul- bozak – kessel
            kulimen – mcclement- connolly
            rosehill – steckel – brown

I am very against trading frattin tho and would first trade kadri/colborne before frattin as frattin has proved himself as a third line winger with second line potential and a deadly shot. Put him in connolly’s place and thats a very solid third line. We have connolly and lombardi coming off the books for next year and the getzlaf trade would be very appealing for perry too sign to tor. And second line centres are way easier to find then first line centres.

Dream lineup in 2014 (i know im getting ahead of myself)..

JVR – Getzlaf – Perry
            Lupul -??? – kessel
            kulimen- mcclement- frattin
            rosehill – steckel – brown

Phaneuf – reilly
            gardiner – (defensive dman)
            Holzer – liles

hopefully reimer-scrivens work out

Last point. How good does reilly look offensively for canada? almost exact game/style/speed game that gardiner plays.

• kessel_leafs81 says:

forgot to mention for the second centre position, if we signed perry, i think itd be somewhat easy to find a second line centre and package up bozak-macarthur-franson to a team that needs the depth.. perferably a veteran, like a langkow or even marleau. Or if ones not available then im sure a trade of bozak-franson would easily be able to get a guy like sam gagner this year who would fit the role well. The trade makes sense.

• Gambo says:

Just for fun, since you did it.. My dream team 2013-14 lineup.

Sign: Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, Nik Antropov.

Trade: Kadri and Franson to NYR for Girardi.

JVR(6’3)-Getzlaf(6’4)-Perry(6’3)
                Lupul(6’1)-Colborne(6’5)-Kessel(5’11)
                Kulemin(6’1)-Antropov(6’6)-Frattin(5’11)
                McClement(6’1)-Steckel(6’5)-Brown(5’11)
                No forward under 200lbs.

Gardiner(6’2)-Phaneuf(6’3)
                Rielly(6’1)-Girardi(6’1)
                Gunnarsson(6’2)-Komisarek(6’4)

Reimer/Scrivens

(1)Power Play:
                Kessel-Getzlaf-Perry
                Gardiner-Phaneuf

(2)Power Play:
                Lupul-Colborne-JVR
                Rielly-Phaneuf(Usually stays on whole time)

(1)Penalty Kill:

Colborne:55(15,40)
                Phaneuf:50(15,35)
                Kulemin:45(20,25)
                Antropov:45(15,30)
                Frattin:40(20,20)
                Rielly:40(5,35)

This team has mad skill, size and leadership. Also might be over the cap limit, but shhh. 5 players with 70+ points means I’m over estimating, but let me dream. Same goes with 3 defenseman with 40+ points.

• Gambo says:

Oh and each player plays 82 games, there were no injuries lol

• Damn you, Dan Girardi is worth more than that!

• kessel_leafs81 says:

Agreed girardi is worth more then that but i think thats a good start to a package for him, hes also the perfect guy we need for our defence right now.

To teams that i would want to take a shot at for a defenseman right now, NYR and buffalo. Rangers just for girardi.

To NYR: Percy(they would want a dman prospect), Franson, Macarthur

To Tor: Dan Girardi

OR

To Buff: Tyler bozak(need a center), kadri, macarthur, 2nd round pick, 3rd round pick

To Tor: Robyn Regehr, jonas enroth

Regehr had a terible season last year and think we could get him for cheap, and might as well take a shot at jonas enroth also.

Both would stablize our defence greatly. and i noticed you were missing liles on our defence. I would greatly prefer liles then komisarek or gunnarson.

Also, I read somewhere that if Subban were to be available, leafs should be interested in the defenceman. I know we would have to greatly overpay for him because of our rivalry but stranger things have happened. I really agree with this because subban is right handed and can be a great PP QB as well as having an unreal one timer. Phaneuf is left handed and has a bomb from the point so there would be two bombs on the point and kessel on the half boards to also watch out for. Our PP would be scary. Subban also throws big hits from time to time to change the momentum of the game. Having a top 4 defence of phaneuf, gardiner, reilly, subban would deffinately be something to look out for.

Subban would just have to not try and fight our own team during practice.

• Gambo says:

Haha not in my dreams!

• Gambo says:

There is no way I’d want Subban on my team. Wouldn’t give up close to what they would want for him to have a cancer in the locker room. Besides we have Phaneuf and Gardiner and soon to be Rielly who are better than him.

• kessel_leafs81 says:

If he were to be made available I would deffinately kick the tires and see if we can afford to acquire him but if it was too much I wouldnt hesitate to go in a different direction, I think a young shut down defenseman is something that would benefit our defense the most although I do love the schenn trade, he is a type player we need. Maybe even if contract negotiations go bad for del zotto and nyr then a top 4 dmen of phaneuf Reilly gardiner del zotto for the next 10 years would look good

3. 93killer93 says:

Tor
    Lombardi, Colborne, Frattin, MacArthur, 2014(1st, *2nd) *Conditional on him resigning
    Ana
    Getzlaf, Palmieri

Tor
    Grabovski, Gunnarsson, Palmieri, Ryan, 2nd(2013)
    Chi

Liles-Komisarek
    (Barker)

4. ZillyHoo says:

Franson Bozak MacArthur

for Gagner and Paajarvi

Anyone?

• I think Edm would need the front office on crack to make that trade.

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

wont happen, even if we assume this is a fair deal value-wise which I don’t believe it is, Bozak and MacArthur are UFAs after this season while Gagner and Paajarvi are RFAs. If Edmonton fails to re-sign then they lose this deal big time.

They would benefit better IMO from offering Gagner & Paajarvi for Yandle. You get a guaranteed top 4 D-man, likely will turn into a top 2, while you were only getting a guaranteed 5/6 D-man from Toronto, potential top 4.

5. lafleur10 says:

jay-bo to philly for matt read or wayne simmonds

• reinjosh says:

Neither player is enough. They don’t represent any major upgrade on any position and only add to the backlog of winger the Flames have.

• lafleur10 says:

josh it’s a deal that makes sense for both teams calgary gets a good young player and cap space and the flyers get the defenceman they are looking for i think it is enough in my opinion

• reinjosh says:

Calgary doesn’t exactly crave the cap space right now and losing Bouwmeester is a massive hit on the defense. As nice as Read would be, I’m not sure he’s any better than any of the forwards Calgary already has.

Moving Bouwmeester means an overpayment is happening. Read is not that.

6. reinjosh says:

Apparently (according to Dobber, not exactly the most reliable source for info but he doesn’t go spewing rumors so I trust him somewhat), the last lockout, player salaries were guaranteed through the lockout. So players got their money, owners didn’t.

That sort of scares me for the upcoming discussions. Bettman knows what he wants and if he has the backing of the owners, he could get it using another lost season. He already cancelled one season, is it really unthinkable he could do it again?

Maybe the owners don’t want to lose another billion plus dollars in pure profit again, only a few years after they did so to get the current deal, but is it out of the realm of possibilities? I’m not sure it is.

I’m not looking forward to the Fehr-Bettman battle. Both of them seem like bull-headed lawyers not willing to lose. That does not bode well for us fans.

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

that is not possible, if the teams are not making money and have to pay players over 60M then the NHL wont last long. If I’m not mistaken I believe players are paid from a lockout fund that is similar to a strike fund but much less than their true contract obviously.

Maybe also some teams will help out the injured players but after that there is no way teams who are generating a net loss after a NHL season can afford to still pay the salaries while not making money off of tickets and whatnot.

• reinjosh says:

That makes sense. I was going to say, that’s a little odd.

Also I remembered afterwards that injured players did get their contracts paid until they were taken off IR.

Also your second point about guarantees like signing bonuses is a good call.

Although teams still get merch revenue even though the season is cancelled right? Unless it was held until the season ended? I’m not sure if merch revenue is part of the split between owners and players.

• reinjosh says:

Yeah I knew that. That’s just logical. No games means no ticket sales or TV broadcasts meaning no revenue from them.

However you still have to include Jersey sales, NHL merchandise etc. Even if 90 percent of the income is cancelled (which I don’t disagree on the percentage), 10 percent of 2 billion is still 200 million dollars. That’s a huge amount of money.

7. reinjosh says:

When JM Liles was a minus player last year, we allowed 105 goals or 4.03 goals a game (26 games). When he’s was a plus or even player? 2.8 goals a game. In 16 games without him we allowed 41 goals or 2.625 goals a game.

That is a massive, massive disparity in a players game.

8. leafmeister says:

To DAL: Jake Gardiner, Clarke MacArthur, Joe Colborne
    To TOR: Jamie Benn

Sign Benn 7 years, 6.0 per

Lupul – Benn – Kessel
    JVR – Grabovski – Kadri
    Kulemin – McClement – Frattin
    Komarov – Steckel – Brown

Phaneuf – Gunnarsson
    Franson – Liles
    Holzer – Komisarek

Reimer
    Scrivins

Sucks to lose Gardiner, but it would be to add an outstanding piece in Jamie Benn. A player capable of dominating the game in many ways, and who is still young. The only way to get a player of his caliber is to trade another young standout.

I think they should try and get Franson signed to a relatively cheap short term deal as I think his trade value after a year of top 4 play could be considerably higher.