Relentless Pronger Rumor

Despite the St. Louis Blues management coming out and saying that they might as well fold the franchise if they trade Chris Pronger, the rumor that he might be on the move seems to live on.The Fan590 in Toronto continues to include in their Sports Updates (every half hour) that there is a persistant rumor about Pronger coming to Toronto.

The Fan590 cites reports from ESPN and St. Louis Post-Dispatch as sources for this rumor.

I can sort of understand the salary-dumping part of this, as well as the JFJ/St.Louis Blues connection (not to mention the Mike Kitchen/Leafs connection), but I wouldn’t know where to begin on what the Leafs would have to offer up… Colaiacovo, Stajan, 1st rounder, Antropov ++?

Without just bashing an obvious Leaf fan here, has anyone else heard this rumor, or is the Fan590 making this up?

I’ve tried checking ESPN and St.Louis Post-Dispatch, and haven’t seen any sign of this alleged rumor.

79 Responses to Relentless Pronger Rumor

1. hairdesign says:

Yes I have heard this for many months now. It is pure lust and that is it. I can’t see them dealing him until the end of the season.

2. mymanbob says:

It AIN’T happening. Even Pierre McGuire is saying so on the show. Torontonians always seem to think that they can/should have anyone and everyone in the league.

Maybe Toronto can have Leetch for a 4th round draft pick!

3. Tomato_84 says:

ive heard the rumor….just ignore it…its not gonna happen

4. FanoftheGame says:

Yeah, sure a fourth rounder… it’ll be at least a first for the asking price

5. the_expert_44 says:

PRONGER IS GOING TO TORONTO

just like gonchar, ahahaha

6. wiredtotheleafs says:

Just something to fill the void left by the preooccupation with Gonchar……Surely there cant be anything to this one, but the rumor does persist…..If Pronger is UFA at the end of the season why not Kaberle, Perrott (ie) and a Rock guy???..Too little?

7. TC_4 says:

You know what? I wouldn’t be shocked if Pleau ditched his 4 superstars (Demitra, Weight, Tkachuck, and Pronger) at the deadline. They are still KINDA in playoff contention, but it’s clear they won’t win the Cup. That is there goal in St.Louis is to win the Cup. Pronger right now would bring in at least 2 first round picks, and probably 2 top prospects. Tkachuck would bring in 2 top prospects and a pick, Weight would bring in a first rounder and a prospect(top prosepect again), and Demitra would bring the same as Weight. So why not??? Your going to get THAT much for these guys, and heavily trim your payroll. It just doesn’t make any sense NOT to do it. But we’ll see. Larry Pleau isn’t the best GM in the league you know…..

8. elnero says:

I believe Pronger is a RFA not UFA at the end of the season.

9. cgolding says:

Tkachuck would look real nice in the orange and black with his old battery mate Roenick.

-chris

10. JeffBurnz09 says:

Toronto would have to be the favorite to win the cup if they pick up Pronger to play alongside Gonchar….er wait…my bad…..

Seriously, do we HAVE to do this every day? Do Toronto fans just pick a name out of a hat, and tell the world he’s going to Toronto until he eventually goes somewhere else? Then repeat the cycle?

Here’s your typical Leaf rumor…

“Its being reported that (name player here) is very close to becoming the next member of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Reports out of Toronto indicate that (name player here) has expressed interested in playing for the Maple Leafs. In return, the Leafs are expected to be offering ( pick a combination of Colaiacovo, Stajan, Antropov , prospects/draft picks). The deal is expected to be finalized in the next few days.”

Let’s just speed up the process and skip the Pronger rumor and jump right ahead to the Leetch to Toronto rumor. Hell, I’ll start it…Word out of New York is that Leetch has been telling the boys in the locker room that he’d die a happy man if he could one day play for Toronto. He’s apparently offering sexual favors from his wife to Ranger management in return for a trade to Toronto. Unconfirmed rumors even suggest he sleeps in a Leafs jersey and has a Maple Leaf tattoo on his chest.

11. TC_4 says:

Are you ready to give up Gagne? Or maybe Carter(whom isn’t going anywhere and for good reason).

12. nskerr says:

I’ll believe it when I see it. Just like every other superstar player, rumor has it that they are going to Toronto.

13. mymanbob says:

you must be from Toronto…

14. spazmainia13 says:

I’m pretty sure that was sarcasim dude.

15. TC_4 says:

That’s rich Jeff!!! Do you think your Stars will go after Pronger if he was by any chance availible???

16. GreatWhiteNorth says:

don’t like it? go to tsn and read the actual trades, this is hockey trade rumors. RUMORS.

17. sens4cup says:

Pronger will look great playing aside Gonchar!!!

18. Adam_0486 says:

My bet is that this trade is more likely to occur now that Conchar has been traded to Boston. But what about Aki Berg + a pick to Buffalo for Jay Mckee??

19. JeffBurnz09 says:

Dallas might look into it, and gods knows they should, but I just don’t see why St.Louis would seriously trade him. This was just an off year for them, no need to get crazy and start shipping out key guys. But I’d love to see him in Dallas if at all possible.

20. peanut_butter_shelf says:

Pronger to Toronto? This should have been the title of the post that stated Gonchar was going to Boston. Just the next round of BS from Leafs fans.

Before Gonchar went to Boston, The Islanders were the only team I had heard in any rumors involving Pronger.

Lidstrom could be a Leaf by the end of the day.

21. UsedandAbused says:

HAHA…. Now its Pronger? HAHAH….

22. distance7 says:

It’s true that this is a “rumors” site. But here’s the difference between a “rumor” and “made up load of crap by people that want any player they think is available.” If your source is 590 or MOJO radio, then it’s usually full of crap. “SUNDIN FOR IGINLA, STRAIGHT UP! THEN BERG, KIDD, AND A PICK, FOR ROB BLAKE AND A ZAMBONI TO BE NAMED LATER!” I like the Leafs is the thing, it’s just the dumb people that annoy me.

23. JeffBurnz09 says:

and Leetch and Lindstrom…both really wanna play for the Leafs…

24. mogilny_4_ever says:

What the hell are you saying about people from Toronto? You are probably a dumb yankee you dumb shit.

25. mogilny_4_ever says:

You are an idiot! Thats all im gonna say.

26. greatlife15 says:

Rumor has it that you’re gay!

27. Beckfan5 says:

How about the Rangers and Blues just screw everybody and trade Leetch for Pronger straight up and thats it.

I know, that was pretty gay.

28. Zesty_Taquito says:

The Blues have issued a statement today, since this rumor appears to have spread.

You can check it out on;

But Pleau says, there is absolutely no way, no how that they are shopping Pronger, and he doesn’t know how the rumor got started.

I’m assuming this is end of story…. unless….

29. TheCoach says:

C’mon now. This is just a crock of bull. The Fan 590 has been reporting for over a month that the Gonchar to Toronto trade was all but done. Now that he’s gone to Boston, its Prongers turn to be the “next big name to play for the Leafs.” The Leafs would definately have to give up something more than Antropov, Coliacovo and a pick. St.Louis is not Washington. They are not that far out of the playoffs, and they will not trade their franchise player for picks and prospects. You can count that the Blues will want some solid NHL talent. (Berg an Antropov do not qualify). If they are that desperate to dump salary, you can bet that they will shop Tkachuk and Weight for anything in return before trading Pronger. It may be a possibilty that Pronger will be traded, but it is extremely unlikely. And if he was being shopped around, the 16 teams in the playoffs would give St. Louis a call and most of them have more to give up than Toronto does.

30. CaptainModano says:

Stars’ll land Leetch, I think.

31. Killa_Bs says:

I heard Gonchar was going to Toronto. Has anyone else heard it or…

32. hardhitter says:

Quite possibly the funniest thing Ive read in a while. Of course I agree with every word you wrote. Thanks for the laugh. Most leafs fans make me sick.. I say most because I am a leafs fan, just a realistic one, who happens to have a brain. Unlike some of these other jokers

33. Killa_Bs says:

“Zamboni to be named later”

That’s some funny shit. Seems like not everyone is crazy about those Leafs fans that make up a rumour a day.

34. hardhitter says:

These people make up the rumours so people read their articles and watch their TV shows. When the trade deadline comes around, leaf fans in Toronto and around the globe walk around with a boner 24/7 because they here all this BS on the news and radio. Truth is its just to get them to watch and listen. The Leafs will not win a Cup in the next 20 years, but they can be sure they will win the award every year for the dumbest fans. Congratulations!!!!!!

35. Killa_Bs says:

I heard a rumour that said Brodeur was going to Toronto for Trevor Kidd and future considerations.

Has anyone else heard that rumour?

36. Killa_Bs says:

The guy at the pizza place just said he heard Kovalchuk and Heatley were going to Toronto. The players going the other way were Trevor Kidd and Nathan Perrott.

Has anyone else heard it?

37. Killa_Bs says:

If I play my sister’s Britney Spears record backwards it says: “Sakic, Tanguay and Hejduk to Toronto for Trevor Kidd and future considerations”

Has anyone else heard it?

38. Killa_Bs says:

My grandma just called and said Leetch was going to Toronto along with Jagr in exchange for Trevor Kidd and future considerations.

Has anyone else heard that rumour?

39. BayStBully says:

because we “here” all this BS? And you’re calling us dumb? HAHAHAHA You loser.

40. Beckfan5 says:

Leafs fans should pray that Steinbrener buys the team.

41. mattf says:

well it is a fact that on average americans have lower iq’s

42. mattf says:

stars waive captain *****cat Modano

43. mattf says:

stars waive captain *****cat Modano

44. BayStBully says:

Hey man, I got some bad news for you. That joke wasn’t funny the first time you did it at the top, and guess what….It hasn’t got any funnier…Guys around here have been doing those jokes for months, and while funny at first, they have now become pathetic. Just like your sex life. Stop being so *****ing unoriginal.

45. gr8haluschak says:

No I heard it was for Aki Berg, and add in the rangers 3rd round pick.

46. BayStBully says:

That jokes been played buddy, just like your mama. LOL Biatch

47. commonwealth says:

THIS JUST IN!!!!! BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!!!

To Toronto: Rob Blake, Chris Pronger, Sergei Gonchar and Nick Lidstrom

to Colorado, St. Louis, Washington and Det: Draft picks and future considerations and bags of hockey pucks for each team….

Granted I am just a loley Yankee hockey fan from Nebraska… but I’ve ALWAYS dreamed of working for a Toronto Hockey Newspaper….

I’m sure this report has to be a start…..

-out

48. Captainspoon says:

you forgot the comma after well, and a comma after average.

49. Killa_Bs says:

What now?? I am not trying to be funny. This site is intended as a forum for people who have rumors to report. So how come it is ok for a Toronto fan to just throw out any unrealistic rumor?

It is funny that you would bring up my sex life because my woman and I are just about to get it on. It’s about that time. I’ll keep you posted if I hear any other rumors. In fact I’ll ask my girl if she heard anything..I’ll get back to you, OK.

By the way sorry that y’all didn’t get Gonchar.