Roberto Luongo perfect as Canucks shut out Avalanche 3-0

Roberto Luongo threw a little gasoline on the goaltending controversy with another strong performance Wednesday night. A surprise starter, Luongo turned aside all 24 shots he faced to record his 61st NHL shutout.

He’s now played more minutes this season than Cory Schneider, who had been anointed Vancouver’s new starter last spring.

Many expect Schneider will start Friday night against the Blackhawks, who are 6-0-1 after losing 3-2 in a shootout to the Minnesota Wild on Wednesday night. But many observers also thought coach Alain Vigneault would start Schneider against the Avalanche.

Vigneault wasn’t saying anything about his Friday starter after the game.

Luongo’s save percentage this season is .938 and his goals-against average is 1.61. Both are fourth best in the NHL.

Read more:

21 Responses to Roberto Luongo perfect as Canucks shut out Avalanche 3-0

I hope he keeps this going so they have no choice but to hold onto him for the year.

Boychuk claimed by the Pens. They say he will play with Malkin.

Leafs claim forward Frazier McLaren. 6’5 tough guy from SJ.

Brown out a week. he’ll be an option as a replacement.

Hamilton up tonight for tonight’s game. No Brown, Komi, MacArthur.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

Nonis obviously feels it was a bad idea to move away from big, tough hockey. I have completely agree.

• nordiques100 says:

true. I am just not sure how good a skater McLaren is.

If you have Steckel, Orr and Mclaren, that’s a pretty slow line.

But this year’s leafs are no pushovers.

And i know his importance to stay on the ice, but i think it would go a long way for the team if Dion stuck up for say Kessel. I do feel still there is a disjoint between him and the team. Not sure he is truly accepted in that room as captain.

But doing something like that, just dropping the glove to stick up for someone, I think would be huge.

• doorman says:

I think the appearance of it comes from that the team has no captain for two years; in comes Dion and between taking control of the dressing room stereo and not turning down a fight in his first game, Wilson, Burke & the city announces we may have found our leader. This had to piss off more then one guy who had been in the room previous to these events?

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

Intersting Doorman. Haven’t looked at it that way before, but the decision to make Dion captain was a quick one and Toronto was in desperate need of a leader at the time. Poor timing in hindsight maybe.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

I agree Carlyle does as well. I was more referring to who signed Mclaren, but I woud assume Carlyle has major input into what he wants…GM makes the final decision though. Agreed?

• nordiques100 says:

he probably saw him a few games with SJ when he was Ducks coach.

I still would have liked Boychuk though. He could do really well with Malkin or Crosby.

I believe he has some skating issues. for a small guy, not great…..but some guy named Whitney has done ok.

• blaze says:

Just a waiver claim. I wouldn’t expect much a week of service and probably claimed again.

He’s a heavyweight but he’s no Orr.

3. mapleleafsfan says:

Just a thought for the site.. Could there maybe be fewer articles, or a couple articles that stay on the front page for longer? I feel like discussions get lost really quickly with the current format.

• Agreed. I feel like there’s a ton of articles/tweets that generate no comments, but the articles actually generating comments get pushes down. Maybe 1 post of daily update could be done rather than a bunch of small tweets/articles. Maybe just updating that 1 post through-out the day. Or instead of showing recent comments, maybe recent topics that were commented on would work.

• Trade Man says:

Sure I can do that. I will make it so more stories are displayed.

4. leafs_wallace93 says:

Bozak, Kadri and Riemer for Schnieder and a 2nd round pick.

• lafleur10 says:

maybe luongo definately not schnieder they would want rielly and a 1st and bozak probably for schnieder and something else

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

if the Leafs wont even touch Bozak, Kadri, 2nd for Luongo then they wont add Reimer to the deal. Although the Canucks wont even consider moving Schnieder anyway so I guess the point is moot.

5. doorman says:

In someways this is good and bad for Gillis. It is good as if they are both playing well, it bodes a more rested duo and chance of a hot goalie come playoff time. it is bad as now if loungo starts to badly outplay Schnieder, how do you trade him? Does that in turn lower Schnieders value as Gm’s won’t want to help Gillis out capwise? Not to mention, $5.3 mil cap hit or not he gets paid $6.7 mill, how long are Nucks owners gonna want to pay out $11 mil on goaltending?

• blaze says:

Gillis is definitely stuck in an odd situation. Wherever Luongo ends up for the next year or two you know he’s gunna light it up. Honestly outside Florida and Toronto is there actually anyone else that would do it. People say Philly but I’m not buying it.

Nonis is more patient then Burke I doubt he’ll overpay. Is Gillis just going to keep waiting for Toronto to collapse or Florida get desperate? When is the trade deadline this year anyways?

Wouldnt it be awesome if they traded Schnieder instead. Doubt the Leafs and Nucks could come to an agreement on Schnieder despite how great he’d be for TO.

Although I agree Schnieder carries nice value who would actually be in the market for him? Philly is a team that comes to mind perhaps.

I like this McLaren pick up okay. But is he going to be a legitimate 4th liner who can fight when needed or is he basically just Jay Rosehill? I think he’s just Rosehill, and it doesn’t hurt to have a few of those guys in the organization but it would be nice if one of them could play well enough to warrant a permanent spot on the 4th line, night-in, night-out. Like a Domi or a Belak.

7. coyotes_bettman says:

Is it just me or am I the only one who giggles my ass off over the fact Luongo is now showing up and being the man in Vancouver like “Here’s a big FU Vigneault and Dickhead Gillis…oh and by the way I’m gonna reject a trade to anywhere I don’t want to go because you Mr. Gillis gave me that option”.

Much like Loverboy I am truly Lovin’ Every Minute of It!

Ya so am I. I’ve never cheered so hard for Luongo. But I hope he falls apart at some point to ruin his trade value. I’m an anti-Canucks guy, what can I say. I really dislike Mike Gillis.