Roberto Luongo wants trade out of Vancouver, says coach Alain Vigneault

Vancouver Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault let the cat out of the bag on French language TV: Goalie Roberto Luongo does indeed want a trade out of Vancouver.

Speaking over the telephone to a Montreal-based TVA Sports show called Le Match, Vigneault was asked if he agreed that Luongo needed a fresh start. (Vigneault was on the show Wednesday night to discuss his contract extension.)

“First of all, that is what he wants right now,” Vigneault said in the translated quote. “What we need to do is what’s best for our organization and our team. We have to look at what’s best for our organization and Roberto.”

Luongo, 33, lost his starting job to Cory Schneider during the playoffs and told reporters in his exit interviews April 24 that he would waive his no-trade clause if that is what best suited the club.

“Yeah, of course, if they ask me to,” Luongo said. “I don’t want to be one of those guys who is going to stand in the way of anything. I always want to put the team ahead of me. I don’t want to be one of those selfish guys.

“Obviously they have a guy here who is going to be a superstar in this league for the next 10, 12, 15 years so I’m okay with it. It is a business and that’s the way it goes. I’ve loved being here the last six years. If I’m here in the future, then great. If I’m not, that’s good also.”

Read more:

21 Responses to Roberto Luongo wants trade out of Vancouver, says coach Alain Vigneault

1. JoelLeafs says:

How does making it known publicly that he wants out help the organization at all? Obviously everyone suspected as much, but what is the harm in keeping a tight lip about it? As far as I can tell all that announcing it does is weaken their bargaining positions with other teams. These type of announcements make it seem pretty damn unlikely that he'll start the season in Van city (though, again, I think most suspected as much), thus telling other GMs that they have to move him.

I don't get it.
  2. frankinboltonleafs says:

Attaboys Marlies!!! Calder cup finals!…NICE…even with all those injuries. So since we're developing an environment of winning there wouldn't it make sense to go Reimer/Scrivens? It was a mistake last year with Reimer/Jonas but I don't think it would be a mistake this year with Scrivens up. Here's what I'd hate to see based on what Nonis said today: another Rask scenario! You just know Scrivens could be something eh?

3. TheOnlyIslesFan says:

All I can say is "THANK GOD FOR ADAM HENRIQUE!!" as a fan all I can say is Disaster Averted and no more Torts on TV..

4. frankinboltonleafs says:

Lots have been calling for LA to win the Cup but I really think Jersey has the edge. Still wish it'd been a Philly LA final though.

5. LeafsFTW17 says:

If Brad Richards really wanted to make it to the finals, he would have signed with the leafs. Poor decision on his part.

6. NonLeafFansAreGay says:

Not related to the article, but does anybody know how long Zigomanis, Kadri, Mueller, Ashton will be injured for? How about Blacker?

Will any of them be back in time for the final?
  7. 93killer93 says:

I read Zigomanis and Kadri are expected to be back by game 2. No clue about the others.

8. 93killer93 says:

So Schultz withdrew from Wisconsin, the ducks have 30 days to resign him before he becomes a free agent.  I really think with Gardiner the Leafs have a shot to sign him. The question is which defenceman gets moved?

Dream Scenario
  9. Steven_Leafs says:

I hope he comes to Toronto but I think he will end up in Edmonton. He can get top line minutes there and really showcase his potential.

10. TheLeafNation91 says:

I'm still hoping Anaheim…He can get it there. And…No matter how many stars they have, Anaheim is pretty solid in all areas and have very good secondary prospects (which they were lacking this year).

11. TheLeafNation91 says:

I don't want to do that. I would hate having two young goalies. Reminds me of Neuvrith/Varlamov battling it out in Washington. Get someone experienced for Reimer. Let Scriven's continue to develop in the AHL. He could become a star.

12. TheLeafNation91 says:

I wouldn't mind Chris Mason. Solid backup, has done wonders for Ondrej Pavalec in Winnipeg.

13. TheLeafNation91 says:

If Adam Henrique does not win the Calder…Then this trophy is awarded to name and not actual play. He has been the best rookie this year…And he has contributed (besides last nights goal) to New Jersey's birth into the Stanley Cup Finals.

How well did RNH and Landeskog do in the playoffs this year?

14. Steven_Leafs says:

I thought the Calder went to the best rookie in his first professional season. While Henrique definitely deserves it I dont think they look at the playoffs as a means to vote the winner. Could be wrong though.

15. TheLeafNation91 says:

No, but playoffs can influence decisions. I really think it was the deciding factor for the Vezina between Thomas and Luongo. Don't you think?

16. TheLeafNation91 says:

Interesting thing on the Justin Schultz front I learned today.

Michael Russo, reporter for the Minnesota Wild, posted twice on twitter that he believed Schultz has picked his team and he does believe it's Toronto.
    I find this intriguing because I'm hearing that Anaheim might file tampering charges against a certain team Schultz might sign with. And if history is an indication of anything, Burke and team has tampered before.
    Also, I wonder if Gardiner is doing any of the tampering due to his strong friendship with Schultz?
    Also, if Toronto is caught again, penalty might be more severe.
  17. frankinboltonleafs says:

Scrivens won the equivalent to the Vezina this year. He could win the Calder. What more development do you want out of him? I'm really scared we're gonna loose that kid in a trade for a temporary vet guy for Reimer. I get what you're saying…..just think Reimer has hit a confidence wall. If I'm Burke I'm keeping Scrivens and trading Reimer. If you caught the last Marlies game…man Scrivens looked like a young Luongo.

18. TheLeafNation91 says:

I would prefer to keep both. I just don't think its wise to have 2 young goalies together at the same time. Find a temporary veteran backup, with some experience to help Reimer. This will also allow Scrivens to just mature in the AHL.

Can't rush goalies. Even Price struggled for a bit after he won the Calder.

19. frankinboltonleafs says:

Good point about Price…forgot about that…I think I'm a little over hyped on the Marlies. But then I'm old and it's just nice to see a TO team above minor midget win something. Reading alot about guys everyone thinks we should bring in…Penner/Moen? If we gun for Parise or Nash I'm all for it. Outside of them I'm for bringing guys up from the Marlies. They're gonna have a slew of young kids coming in next season so something has to budge there. That seems to get lost in next years Leaf lineup.

20. Boston_Bruins says:

I'm pretty sure the voting is already done. Landeskog should be and will be a lock for the Calder.

And I don't think Thomas needed to sway any votes for winning the Vezina after his regular season last year.
  21. LeafsNation4Ever says:

I don't think Brad would have taken us to the Cup finals, even if he had been playing with Lupul and Kessel, with the way our goaltending and defense was all year, no way. Especially with Wilson. I think we'd have been in the playoffs sure but the only team we'd have beaten would have been Ottawa, sadly.

And it was Burke who didn't want to go with Brad's contract, wanted a short term deal, wasn't enough money for Brad I suppose. Insecure about his future, I think he was.