Rookie Of the Year?
For years, poolies and hockey fans in general have always attempted to look out into the future to see if we could spot the bright young star of the year, or otherwise known as the future winner of Calder Trophy as the rookie of the year for 2002-2003.
Last year, everyone had narrowed the pick down to Atlanta’s two fine rookies, Ilya Kovalchuk and Dany Heatley. Personally, I chose Kovalchuk, who inevitably would have been except for his season ending injury. This also however affected his value compared to Heatley’s, giving you something else to look out for when choosing your pool rookie for the year.
When looking into the future this year, I have found a certain number of rookies with which i choose to focus on:
1) Henrik Zetterberg- Look around him, he’s got Stanley Cup champions and superstars in his lineup, learning from the best in the entire game, from Brett Hull to the young Pavel Datsyuk, the wings have it all. But with that comes the ice time issue, and will he play enough to be valuable?
2) Chuck Kobasew- Has talent, speed, size and smarts to play great in the NHL. Iginla could be a mentor, lots of opportunitity to play, but is it written in the stars?
3) Stephen Weiss- Playing on a scoring line with the likes of youngster Denis Shvidki, who knows, could be a similar performance as in Atlanta the year before?
4) Alexander Frolov- Talented guy could make NHL finally, has shown feats comparible to Bure or Jagr in the past.
5) Jani Rita- Great player with great future, but right team to play on?
There are many other possibilites as well, so many that I have no time to name them all. I have chosen Zetterberg as the number one guy, so send me your thought s on this.