Rumors Already Swirling
It has been just one day since a tentative agreement was reached between the league and NHLPA, and rumors about the upcoming offseason are already swirling. This is shaping up to be a frantic sprint to training camp, and here are some of the latest rumors.- Bruce Garrioch is reporting that the Senators’ Bryan Smolinski and Greg de Vries are candidates for being bought out. They would free-up over 4 million dollars and give the Senators some needed room to re-sign their RFAs and go after some UFAs. One name that the Senators could pursue, according to Bruce, is Rod Brind’Amour. They inquired about him last trade deadline, but his 5 million dollar deal was too much. He will likely be bought out and there is a strong possibility that he will come home to Ottawa.
– Brian Burke is apparently interested in bringing Markus Naslund to Anaheim, as well as trading for Todd Bertuzzi.
– Chris Stevenson wrote that Gary Roberts could be heading to Anaheim.
– The two teams that are strongly interested in Nikolai Khabibulin are the Red Wings and Canucks.
– If the Canucks are unsuccesful in landing Khabibulin, they may go after Curtis Joseph.
– If the Red Wings are unsuccesful in landing Khabibulin, Chris Osgood may return to Detroit to split goaltending duties with Manny Legace.