Seguin wants contract extension before CBA expires

On Monday, the Boston Bruins held their 9th annual golf tournament in Bolton, Mass. — the perfect place for reporters to ask players about the looming lockout.

One of the players queried was Tyler Seguin, who led the Bruins in scoring last season and will become a restricted free agent at the end of 2012-13.

Unsurprisingly, Seguin wants a new deal before the CBA expires on Sept. 15.

From WEEI:

Seguin said he wants to get a deal done before the 15th. Said they’ve had good talks.

Seguin didn’t seem worried about the contract at all. Don’t be surprised if that happens soon

Seguin, 20, is set to make $3.55 million in the final year of his entry-level contract and, in terms of an extension, is likely eying the seven-year, $42 million extension fellow 2010 draftee Taylor Hall recently signed in Edmonton.

Looking beyond Seguin, the Bruins could face a similar circumstance with Milan Lucic, another young forward that’s set to become a RFA after next season.

Lucic is in the final year of a deal that pays $4.08 million annually, and his situation is compounded by the fact Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli just gave Brad Marchand a four-year, $18 million extension (like Lucic and Seguin, Marchand was set to become a RFA in 2013).

11 Responses to Seguin wants contract extension before CBA expires

1. Lol. This was posted after a deal was made.

5.75 million/6 years.

• JoelLeafs says:

Again, like the Hall signing I think it could really go wither way. He will likely be worth the money for those prime years, especially if contracts continue to inflate; however, a lot could change with this CBA and potentially even the next if they don’t get one done long term (though I believe they are negotiating for a 6 CBA). So it’s hard to tell if 5.75 will be an overpayment in a few years or a deal.

On the other hand, he could fail to live up to expectations any they could be stuck with an untradeable contract. Again, I think it is more likely that he will continue to develop and be highly valuable in 3-6 years, but you never know, his production might stall or he could even be replaced by a younger draftee in the coming years. Plus there are always injuries to consider. All in all, yeah, I think the deal will probably work out for the Bruins, especially if the new CBA (if we ever get one) restricts contract length, but there are plenty of question marks around the long term youth contracts we’ve seen all summer.

• reinjosh says:

Its very much in line with the Skinner, Hall, Eberle, Tavares deals. At this point I’d say it’s about market value for what those types of players are getting.

Players who showed a lot of promise only two years into their careers, all of them coming straight out of Junior into the NHL. Time will tell if the deals work out for the teams in question but you can’t fault them for the deals. The market has pretty much set the value for a 2nd year breakout player with potential to grow more.

2. JoelLeafs says:

Unrelated trivia:

Who has the most games played for the leafs out of all active players? Found the answer by accident, and though it didn’t surprise me, I probably wouldn’t have guessed it.

• 93killer93 says:

Kulemin or Grabo. No one else was on the team to start the 08-09 season.

• 93killer93 says:

Oh as in active in the nhl. I thought you meant on the active roster. I would say Kaberle.

This is interesting because he said that he “wouldn’t have guessed it, but it doesn’t surprise him”. I think that most people would guess Kaberle. So who is another ex-Leaf who has been around?

It’s a tough call, I can really only think of Kaberle, who played so many games for the Leafs.

Kaberle played 12 seasons in Toronto and was almost never hurt.
        Stajan played 7
        Antropov played 9, (and dealt with many injuries)
        Ponikarovsky played parts of 9
        Ian White played 6
        Colaiacovo played parts of 6

I really can’t think of anyone else who was here for more than a few years. So unless Joel was trying to throw us off, I have to go with the most obvious pick as well in Kaberle.

• JoelLeafs says:

I more meant that I kind of forgot that Kaberle was still in the NHL. I mean, obviously he is, but it slipped my mind and I assumed it was Antropov or Poni. I suppose my “I wouldn’t have guessed it” comment was a bit misleading, my bad.