Staal brothers put together?

rumors

Keep an eye on the Carolina Hurricanes when it comes to how things play out on the Jordan Staal front with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

As I wrote recently, the Penguins’ top priority is to sign Sidney Crosby and Staal to contract extensions this summer — both centers are UFA-eligible on July 1, 2013 — but if they can’t get both done in a cap-sensible manner, it could open the door for Staal to be dealt.

Several teams have already expressed an interest regarding Staal, but I believe the Hurricanes will be aggressive in trying to trade for him, with the idea to have him on same team as his brother, Hurricanes captain Eric Staal.

If the Penguins decide to open the trade market on Jordan Staal, Pittsburgh could get more out of Carolina in a traditional hockey deal than from other teams.

Why? While other teams might point to the fact that Staal has only one year left on his deal and won’t want to give up too much for a pending 2013 UFA, the Hurricanes may be willing to take more of a long-term gamble that, given the sibling tie-in, they could re-sign Staal.

Either way, the Hurricanes are going to be an interesting team this summer. I believe they’re going to add to their payroll and want to upgrade with one or two forwards.

13 Responses to Staal brothers put together?

This could end up being a massively huge move for the Hurricanes if they can pull it off. Not because Jordan Staal is a great player, he is really good, but because it would probably eventually lead to Marc Staal joining the team when he becomes a UFA, several years from now.

They already have 2 Staal boys in Carolina, if they add a 3rd, the 4th will come. That would be pretty cool too.

PS – Grapes.

2. 93killer93 says:

Staal
    Staal
    Sutter

Pretty solid down the middle.

3. Gambo says:

In reply to Killer,

Yeah that is really depth, if they could get both Jordan Staal and Marc Staal like Reinjosh suggested, they could be huge playoff threats again. But if they get Jordan Staal via trade instead of UFA Sutter would probably be asked in return.

4. 93killer93 says:

Sutter would definitely be a good replacement in Pittsburgh.If I’m Carolina I’d try to build the package around Rask and Murphy instead.

5. JoelLeafs says:

Vokoun trade aside, I still think the conventional wisdom dictates that if Stall goes anywhere it won’t be in the East.

If he does move–which I think will be an absolute last resort for the Pens… everyone needs good centers–he will garner high interest from pretty much every team in the league with money; Shero can be a chooser in this potential race.

BANANA!

6. JoelLeafs says:

ATTN Trade Man: Please open a page to discuss changes so that we can give you input on the form of the forum.

Personal note: Seriously, descending comments without a direct reply option is fucking silly not great. If you have to take one bit of advice, please consider the oldest at the top bit. Please. Or, maybe let us choose how to sort it*.

I think wordpress doesn’t have this option, so nevermind.

APPLE!

7. Steven_Leafs0 says:

the West is a better trade option for the Pens but I get the feeling they would get less in return. I cannot see many Western Conference teams being able to re-sign Jordan Staal, they dont really have any leverage other than money. Jordan would be further away from his brothers and his hometown and he would very rarely be in the East during the season.

The Eastern conference teams make more sense, Toronto/Ottawa because they are close to his hometown, Carolina because Eric plays there and Jared is a prospect for their organization, NY because Marc is there.

I get the feeling you can get more assets out of these teams, Carolina wont even blink about handing over their 8th overall pick+ for Jordan knowing they can get Eric to convince him to resign while I doubt Anaheim would even consider giving up their 6th overall pick straight up for Jordan knowing that he can leave next season (even though Jordan would be a perfect 2nd line center for Anaheim).

• reinjosh says:

I think a big issue is he wants to be the man. He’s already alluded to as much at the end of the Pens playoffs. Carolina might be the one place where he doesn’t want that and is content to be the 2nd man behind Eric Staal.

Would you give the 5th overall up for Staal?

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

tough one, if Staal was 100% going to sign an extension and the top 4 picks taken were Yakupov/Murray/Galchenyuk/Forsberg then yes I would. I believe Staal will be a much better player than Faksa or Grigorenko, but if we can grab Galchenyuk or Murray with no.5 then I would hold onto it.

• I would take Staal over Murray. For a team that isn’t in need of a solid #1-2 D, Staal makes the bigger difference here.

• JoelLeafs says:

Is it worth risking our 5th overall on a player that could leave in a year? The benefits of a draft being pretty much forced to play in the organization for years could outweigh Stalls benefits for one year and a big fat question mark past that. Yeah, he’d get his chance at a number one spot, but if he didn’t like the pressure here after a year whats stopping him from bouncing?

Also, I doubt the Pens give him up for just one pick. I’d love to have Stall, but the timing seems wrong. I’d say any team should be kicking the tires next year if he doesn’t resign. Unless a team could do like the Leafs did with Kessel and have a nice fat contract waiting when he gets there it could potentially lead to a waste of assets.

8. frankinboltonleafs says:

I’d give that fifth for Staal. Is he ready for this kinda pressure? Who knows . I’m not sure there is anyone in the league outside of Crosby who could handle it. We are our own worst enemies.