Is it time for a change of scenery for Ovechkin?

You have to wonder if Washington Capitals owner Ted Leonsis found any relief from Alex Ovechkin’s first road goal of the season.

Ovechkin blew a wrist shot past Maple Leafs goalie James Reimer on a power play at 2:38 of the second to put the Capitals up 2-1, a lead that would hold through the period before Toronto eventually picked up its first home win of the season, 3-2, on Thursday night.

Ovechkin was standing about halfway up the left faceoff circle when he let that blistering wrister of his go. It’s one of the things Ovechkin does better than almost anybody — fire the puck hard and quick. A lot of goalies would have had trouble handling it.

It was a goal, a step in the right direction, but still a loss for the now 1-5-1 Capitals and a minus-1 with just two shots on goal for Ovechkin.

After watching Ovechkin play the Leafs, you can’t help but think he’s not the same guy that won the Hart Trophy two times in his career. You can’t help but think that some of his passion is gone, that maybe it’s time for a change of scenery.

19 Responses to Is it time for a change of scenery for Ovechkin?

He looks like a player who is waiting for the 2014 Sochi Olympics and doesn’t want to get hurt or expend too much energy until then.

Its not Washington he doesn’t want to be in, its the NHL as a whole. He’d be the same i think anywhere.

His criticism of the NHL and Bettman really turned a lot of people off. i mean this is a player who the league and Bettman made a face of the league, made him the centre of attention and he gives back crap. now his play is starting to be crap. He’s being paid a ton of money but he sounds pretty entitled to it and doesn’t feel he needs to give back.

His boss, Ted Leonis has given him everything and he isn’t getting as much back IMO anymore.

The captaincy was a mistake too. He isn’t a captain. You can see, he isn’t a leader there in Washington. But, because he walks on water according to Leonis, there is nothing much the team, coaches, players whoever can do.

• coyotes_bettman says:

You banged it on the head Nords, Ovechkin had that one monster season after signing the contract and then put it into neutral (not unlike a lot of other Russian players have in the past) Brooks Laich or Jason Chimera should be the real Captain on this team.

But the reality is still there are 29 other NHL franchises who would line up to take a shot at this guy. He is arguably the most exciting player in the game when he’s on (2006 – 2011) he’s the most explosive and dynamic player in the game – I always said that if Alex Ovechkin was named Alexander Murphy and from Moose Jaw Sask. nobody would ever attack his work ethic or character.

2. I’d still take him on the Rangers. I’d give up Gaborik for him.

3. coyotes_bettman says:

To the Leafs for a package of Joe Colborne/Biggs and a first book it.

He’s screwing me in my keeper league. I took him 1st overall a few years ago. I could’ve had Stamkos!

5. leafs_wallace93 says:

Luongo, Higgins and Kassian for Ovie

6. realistic_leafs_fan says:

I get it. You hated the trade and thought we were getting ripped off. Are you comparing Kessel to Ovie though? Alright??

Ok LW93. Seriously. What do you think Kessel is worth via trade? You mock mine, so let’s see what do you expect back? Throw something out that you would expect, doesn’t have to be something you think would happen, just the value you expect back. Name some players and/or picks you would expect back.

Just shrug it off. He’s joking around. Although you’re being a jerk now Wallace. Point made, realistic is taking it personal, so I think that’s enough.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

I know he’s joking. I really want to know what he expects back. I can’t stand when guys overy trash other guys ideas to improve the team but won’t put themselves out there for criticism. It’s a weak thing to do. Plus since you don’t know who the picks are going to be when you trade for them Kessel for 2-1sts and a second.
        Luongo-4th overall pick
        Kassian-13th overall
        Higgins 14th overall
        That would be 3-1st round picks for Kessel. We could get 2 firsts and a sceond (as we payed) and do way worse,you don’t know how the picks will workout or where i the draft they will be.
        Plus Kessel was supposed to improve the team, we finished worse with him then we did with the rag tag groups Maurice had. GM’s look at what a player has done to improve his team. Fact is, Kessel’s personal numbers are good but the team has declined since the trade and that will hurt his value. Plus I notice here is no “what the expected value” should be response. Weak.

• leafs_wallace93 says:

If I was comparing Kessel to Ovechkin it would be Higgy, Louie and Zachery for Ovechkin, Laich, Neuvirth an a 3rd.

Besides Kessel’s contract is looking hella better than Ovechkin’s right now.

• leafs_wallace93 says:

Kessel is going to sign an extension in Toronto like every other player has done in the history of this organization (expect Cujo and that worked out great for him huh).

I also can’t remember a player demanding a trade from this market….. Just being a realistic Leafs fan though.

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

Well, considering Kessel refused to sign in Boston for the money they offered(too little according to Kessel) after one good season, I’m not sure how you’re so sure he will re-sign here. I can’t remeber a player that demanded a trade out of Boston either…unless you can include Kessel, because he kind of did. The most goals he had in the two seasons prior to his 36 snipe breakout season was 11 and 19 respectively. Yes, he has kept up the 30+ goal pace here, but how has the team done? Answer is worse. If he wants much more than he makes now, he won’t be re-signed.IMO

• leafs_wallace93 says:

Because Chiarelli low balled all his players, Kessel didn’t want to take a Marc Savard like cap friendly deal.

I not the one fabricating that Kessel won’t be willing to resign in Toronto because of the media. That’ the point other are making yet no one has left Toronto because of the media. Site me the example of a player scared of the big bad TOronto media?

• realistic_leafs_fan says:

I won’t site a player because I mostly agree with you on that point. I never claimed players won’t come to Toronto. Nor have I claimed Kessel would not re-sign here.
            Your argument is with someone else for once.lol

7. doorman says:

Nobody has a crystal ball on signing or not. However is the one true wild card whether or not Carlyle likes him? If Nonis has a plan to keep him on as his coach, then his input counts. If Carlyle doesn’t like him and Nonis resigns him, well there is much different writing on the wall isn’t there?

8. JoelLeafs says:

I have a crystal ball. He will be resigned.