“We have a potential deal in place with one team that has to do something with another player that they have — and it’s not who anybody thinks it is — and so we have to wait. (But) we’ve been offered packages that don’t fit what our plan is, what we need,” said Gillis.

Like, how?

“Excess salary coming back with a [throw-in] player who can’t play in our lineup. They say, ‘OK, we’ll do this, but you’ve got to take this.’ Well, we’re not taking it. We’ve had lots of proposals like that with good pieces that can help us but the other part doesn’t help us, and oftentimes they have term attached to them, so we’d just be turning around and buying out a guy.

“I’d rather keep the guy we know, who’s a good person.”

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Canucks+Mike+Gillis+stampeded+into+changing+plan+This+team+good+2011+finalists/7851324/story.html#ixzz2IiP5SuuQ

8 Responses to ‘We have a potential deal in place with one team,’ general manager says of a Roberto Luongo deal

Gillis is putting pressure on a team, maybe Philly or Florida or even the Leafs.

No GM comes out and says, we have a deal, before there is a deal.

And i have to think Vancouver will have to take Salary back. I can’t see how they can’t. I mean there’s 9 years left on Luongo’s deal. with the cap going down some, there will have to be some take-back by the Canucks.

I think the pressure is on the Canucks to solve this quickly. The teammates like Lou. They respect him and they like him and want him to stay. Stringing him along isnt great. Nor is it having this hang over Schnieders head. The two of them can’t be there.

• JoelLeafs says:

I don’t see why he can’t say he has a deal if he doesn’t. Might just be a fabrication to pressure a GM to up their offer. I know it isn’t good for the team, but with the weird cap this year, why not keep him on the books, give him 40% of the starts and deal with him at the deadline or in the summer. There just isn’t really a market for him right now. He is valuable, but I don’t really see any teams desperate enough to sign up for 9 years. No team looking for a simple upgrade is going to go for him too, as he is clearly a long term project.

If I’m Gillis I do whatever I can to move him, even using BS like this (if it is BS) to entice other GMs.

2. kessel_leafs81 says:

he says hes waiting on a player that nobodys guessed.. could this be scrivens? could the leafs be showcasing scrivens right now to prove he’s capable of being a solid backup incase schneider gets hurt? explains starting scrivens at the biggening of the season and if leafs are trying to get lu then why wouldnt they showcase scrivens to gillis? van could be waiting a couple games to see how scrivens plays out.. and the potential deal in the works all of a sudden coming up is because of how well scrivens has played.

• Gambo says:

I don’t think he was talking about the leafs, maybe he is trying to put pressure on the leafs. The deal he is talking about isn’t with Toronto though, at least that’s what it seems like to me.

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

doubt it but would be the only way I would be comfortable moving for Luongo. We cannot make a deal like what people think Gillis wants (Bozak, Kadri, 2nd) since we would be giving up our 1st and 3rd line centers. Only deal I would be comfortable with at this point is:

Luongo

for:

Scrivins
      Komisarek
      conditional 1st (if we make the playoffs, 2nd if not)

maybe exchange the pick for a guy like Frattin but even then I’m not too interested anymore. Of course if this is all we are willing to give up then that means we are not getting Luongo. NO chance in hell. lol

• Steven_Leafs0 says:

oh I would like to point out though that with Gardiner coming back soon we NEED to trade a defenseman or we will be sending one of Fraser or Holzer through waivers. Who WILL get claimed.

So who knows that team that has to “do something with another player” may be Toronto and Gardiner. Once Gardiner is ready to come off LTIR Toronto moves a body or two from our roster to make room for Gardiner & Luongo.

3. LN91 says:

This is as believable as Burke saying he would not trade Kaberle…

Luongo ain’t coming to Toronto. One day, all the nut jobs who want him as a Leaf will understand how this is a good thing.