Which team is the most/least exciting in the NHL?

Which teams do you think are the most exciting to watch in the NHL?
Which teams do you think are the least exciting to watch in the NHL?
Which teams do you think will be exciting in the future, starting next year?

Which teams, aside from your favorite, can you actually tolerate watching an entire game of?

Personally, these days I find the East to be a hell of a lot more exciting than the West. There are few Western teams, and even few Western playoff teams, that I enjoy watching on a regular basis, and usually have difficulty sitting through an entire game. The playoffs are a different matter entirely, though.

My selection of the Top 5 Most Exciting NHL Teams:

Pittsburgh Penguins
Detroit Red Wings
Montreal Canadiens
Philadelphia Flyers
Calgary Flames/Colorado Avalanche (can’t decide)

Honorable mentions: Washington Capitals (Ovechkin, Semin, Backstrom, Green, etc.), Chicago Blackhawks (when healthy), Toronto Maple Leafs (good for a laugh, but all joking aside, division games are always intense, and you never know what the Leafs will do in a game).

My selection of the Top 5 Most Boring NHL Teams:

NJ Devils
Vancouver Canucks
Florida Panthers
NY Islanders
Minnesota Wild

Honorable mentions: SJ Sharks (I’m almost always bored watching their stifling Devils-like play), Atlanta Thrashers (when Kovalchuk is off his game, and even when he’s not), St. Louis Blues (a handful of others teams could have taken this last spot).

My selection of teams that will soon be exciting to watch:

LA Kings (So much young talent. The new Penguins, soon.)
Chicago Blackhawks (Same as Kings)
Columbus Blue Jackets (Brassard [could be a Brule though] and Voracek coming soon full-time could give them enough to finally make the playoffs)

Which teams do you think are the most exciting to watch in the NHL?
Which teams do you think are the least exciting to watch in the NHL?
Which teams do you think will be exciting in the future, starting next year?

85 Responses to Which team is the most/least exciting in the NHL?

1. sanj91 says:

i agree fully with montreal and pittsburgh because they play a run and gun game……even though most would want to say that the habs play defensively, it is simply because everyone contirbutes of the back check which is how it should be in the NHL level….i would also include buffalo and boston….maybe i like the northeast too much tho…i dont watch much else other than the random games that rds and tsn show along with the cbc double header….least exciting would defs be nj, florida, atlanta, isles, and vancouver ( i never manage to watch the entire cbc late night games when they include vancouver…)

2. BruMagnus- says:

Canucks are  KA KA POO POO!

3. Exit16W says:

I love New Jersey Devils hockey…its simply the best..its a delight watching the best goaltender in the game work his magic. Parise will be a star.
    I think St. Louis is the most boring team to watch.. They are tied for the fewest goals scored along with the Islanders.

4. canuck67 says:

Depends on which teams play…..I mean you cant beat a Flames/ Canucks game or Pitts/Mtl.

5. Kramer says:

Atlanta vs. Nashville is the most exciting rivalry in pro-sports.  The Battle of Dixie (without the Chicks).

6. toronto77 says:

maybe it's beacause i'm too tired too watch hockey from 10 to 1230 at night, but I agree that Vancouver is a very boring team to watch, but if I had to vote I think I would have to say that the west is a lot more boring than the east. back in the late 90's the west was the more exciting conference to watch and the east was a dirty fighting conference, now it's the other way around.

Another reason why the east is a lot more exciting than the west could be because we have all the talent(crosby, ovechkin, kovalchuk, heatly, lecavalier etc…)

7. toronto77 says:

i also forgot to mention that i agree that new jersey is a boring team as well…..don't get me wrong their an excellent team, but boring as hell.

8. hockey_lover says:

Which teams do you think are the most exciting to watch in the NHL?

Any team that plays a wide open, free flowing game

Which teams do you think are the least exciting to watch in the NHL?

Any team that plays the trap

Which teams do you think will be exciting in the future, starting next year?

Chicago, LA. Lots of good young talent.

9. DandoEagle says:

Easly the habs are the most exciting team.

kovalev is probably in the top 3 in terms of most exciting palyer to watch. only a couple are more skilled and slick than he is.

they have awesome young energy youth that have so much energy they make the whole game energetic and exciting to watch

and price is amazing! he can make the great saves look so easy. he is so cool and relaxed in goal. no one at that age showed such coolness.

they all skate awesomely and they all are so skilled. and if top players are out hurt. no probelm. they have a tone of young players who are so exciting and coming up.

the leafs are easily the worst. any team blown out by 7-1 every night sucks to watch. there future sucks and they will always suck as always.

10. LeafsNation91 says:

New Jersey Devils play the most boring hockey in the league for the last decade. But do you know what? It works. The Devils are consistentley the best team in the NHL and it is not always Martin Brodeur the reason they are up there. They always seem to have great defensive players to give Brodeur easier saves then most teams goalies get. New Jersey is just a great franchise, we should congragulate them for playing the most boring game in the league, because they are the tops in the East and the silent threat in the NHL. Congrats NJ!

11. hockey_lover says:

Kovalev? Really? He is having a really good year and he is a talented player .. but top 3 in the league?  Who are the two better/more exciting than him, exactly?

12. hockey_lover says:

How do you define "best" in the league? Im curious.

13. UsedandAbused says:

I agree with much of your selections.

Top 5 Most exciting Teams:

Philadelphia
    Montreal
    Washington
    Dallas
    San Jose

Honorable Mention: Pittsburgh, Rangers Carolina, Toronto, Ducks, Calgary, Buffalo, and Colorado

Top 5 Most Boring Teams:

New Jersey (Most Boring Team Ever)
    NY Islanders
    Florida
    Minnesota
    LA (This year)

Honorable Mention: Boston, Tampa Bay, Atlanta

Can’t argue with NJ’s success, but man do I hate that team.

14. DandoEagle says:

outside of crosby and ovechkin, there is no one more exciting to watch than kovalev.

15. mtlman2005 says:

Not too sound too habs bias, because im sure a few people are going to say I am, but Kovalev is in the top 3 most exciting. Everytime he has the puck you have no idea what will happen. Im not saying he is in the top 3 players overall, but with all the deaks, amazing passes, shots, … even turnovers!! I would say Ovechkin is a little more exciting, seeing how even when he scores he puts on a show. And then, maybe Kovalchuk, when he is on his game.

16. holeinone says:

without question the NJ DEVILS  They have a brand new building and contending for the top spot in the East and they can't draw flies. Why they have tried to singlehandedly kill the sport with BORING BORING BORING  Fat head Lou L should be shot by a firing squad for bringing this garbage to the league

17. markjohnston says:

I like watching the oilers

I hate watching boston (unless they're sucking, like they are now). they are almost as bad as NJ.

I like all your picks.

I know everyone says Minnesota is a boring team and lists them because they play Jacques Lemaires hockey. But seriously, I love watching them for some reason. I watched Minny-Colorado last night on TSN and it was a great game. Marian Gaborik has to be one of my top 5 players to watch.

But to answer your question, my favourite teams to watch are Washington, Detroit, Minnesota!

I don't know, that sounds like some kind of conspiracy.

Kovalev is a very exciting player to watch, his hands and his speed and puck control are great, and he plays a physical game when he has the puck.

I would say he's a top 5 most exciting player in the game but to me, Ovechkin, Crosby, Kovalchuck are the top 3. After that I would say Kovalev, Iginla (killer slap shots, big hits), Gaborik (pure speed), and Nash (slick moves around the net, love those soft hands) are my favourite guys to watch. Oh and of course Mats Sundin!

21. hockey_lover says:

This is responding to this whole section, not specifically you Mtlman.

I agree. Kovalev is a talented player but I dont see him as top 3 in the league.

Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovalchuck, Iginla, Datsyuk, Gaborik, Spezza (he does give the puck away a lot but you all have to admit he has some sweet moves), Alfie, Lidstrom … to me personally, all players that are just as exciting as Kovalev, if not more.

I guess it all depends on how one defines exciting. Very interesting topic boys. I like it.

22. LeafsNation91 says:

Well, what I consider the best in this statement is New Jersey's consistentley one of the top teams in the NHL and constant dominance in the East and Atlantic division. You would think with all the players they lost over the years (Niedermayer, Stevens, Gomez, Rafalski), they would be a bottom feeder in the NHL, but they way this team is coached, and plays their 'boring game', they are always a top team in the NHL. That is what I consider the best.

23. TheDonkey says:

I never thought I would hear someone say that they love Devils hockey! Ever since NJ won their first cup, the NHL has been strugging to keep NJ style boring hockey out of the league.

Keep on smokin whatever you are on!

24. TheDonkey says:

Lucky for the East, only one of them will have to play a Western team in the playoffs. The top teams in the west would destroy the eastern teams if they played off against one another.

25. BruMagnus says:

Until last year I'd agree with Buffalo, and until the loss of Campbell the Sabres still were exciting, on occasion. But not consistently. Vanek, Roy, Connolly, etc. can be exciting, at times, but not always.
    Boston… meh.

Canucks are shit boring!

26. BruMagnus says:

Is that why 3 of the last 4 Cups were won by the East?

27. BruMagnus says:

Malkin is ten times more exciting than Kovalev, no hyperbole.

28. BruMagnus says:

Iggy and Malkin and heck guys like Phaneuf and Chara are more exciting than Kovy!

29. BruMagnus says:

I agree they are one of the best in the last 10-15 years, but still one of the most boring, if not the most boring.

30. BruMagnus says:

There's no way SJ or Dallas, or even Washington, is more exciting than Pittsburgh.

31. BruMagnus says:

Cool thanks.

I'm surprised no one has ripped into them yet, especially the Flyers pick, who play some of the most interesting hockey in the NHL.

Boston has totally been an enigma for me.

32. BruMagnus says:

Thanks. I'm glad you like my topic.

33. toronto77 says:

you know what, i think i might actually agree with you, when u say that the west's best teams are better than the east's best teams, but on an overall average, i'll still take the east….with that being said, i still find the west very boring to watch.

34. Bure96 says:

Two of those wins for the East were before the lockout. The West is so much better now. Anahiem, Dallas, San Jose, and even Detroit would kill every team in the East.

35. UsedandAbused says:

I freely admit I am biased towards the Pens. I am a Flyers fan… lol.. I am sure they will be on most people's top 5, but not mine. Also I can't stand the Pittsburgh announcers. They are really boring. No offense. I suppose if they weren't a division rival they would be on my top 5.

36. BruMagnus says:

I agree that Bourque sucks, but Steigerwald is great. Still, I miss hall-of-famer Mike Lange.

Scratch my back with a hacksaw!!

37. BruMagnus says:

Who was the guy who said he thought 1-0 games were more exciting than 7-6 games? It wasn't you, was it?

38. Desertdog17 says:

Coyotes will be great to watch as soon as next year, Muller, Hanzal, Winnik, turris, porter, and carcillo leading the charge, everytime dan carcllo s on the ice somethingi happening! gretz caches a great pure pressure game,no sitting back.

39. Radio says:

Yeah I agree with the most boring… the Canucks and Jersey…Zzz…

Yeah but I think Doan is overrated, they should trade while he's still very valuable straight up for another big name player just to change things up there.

41. hockey_lover says:

Ah ok. Its just a matter of wording.

To me, they are consistently ONE of the best teams in the NHL. Not THE best.

In recent years (mostly regular season anyway), Detroit, Ottawa, San Jose, Dallas, can also lay claim to that as well.

42. ChyldProdigy says:

I know exactly what you mean.  I can't get enough of this:
    Trap trap trap trap trap
    Brodeur brodeur brodeur brodeur
    Oh they're at the other end of the ice! Bad bounce, he scores!!
    NJ wins 1-0.

My heart is still racing!! 😛

43. BruMagnus says:

Negative. SJ and Detroit are playoff chokes. Dallas, aside from that one Cup with a totally different team, doesn't show up either.
    I'd only be afraid of the Ducks.

44. BruMagnus says:

Nice. I'm surprised I wasn't bashed for that or that Canucks fans didn't come to their teams rescue!

45. hockey_lover says:

not that I want to nitpick, but are you sure you arent confusing excitement with talent?

Washington certainly IS an exciting team to watch. Id say on par with Pitts. The fact that Washington isnt really all that good shouldnt matter. Watchig Ovie, Backstrom, and recently Laich has been really fun.

46. RyanO says:

How many times have you even watched St Louis play??

Anyways, Devil's hockey is not as bad as most people say, Sutter has brought a more offensive approach to their game.  But they are still far from exciting.

47. RyanO says:

It does work, and that why hockey has become the 5th most popular sport in the US since 1995.  How many people watched game 7 in 2003 Anaheim vs Devs in finals…18, maybe 19 people.

48. BruMagnus says:

I'm not.
    Usually the more talented team is the more exciting.
    The Pens are far more talented than the Caps. I do admit Ovechkin is exciting to watch (hence why the Caps made the honorable mention) but he has boring off games too. I watched a LOT of Caps games in his first year and a few in his second year. It amazed me the amount of times that he would play crazy even when his team was losing 6-1 with 5 minutes left, only to score and celebrate like nuts… I dunno if he understands the team concept or just REALLY loves to score, regardless of the outcome. It sure helped his stats though!

49. pj1199 says:

Devils hockey is without a doubt the MOST boring hockey to watch. Brodeur is so over-rated its not even funny. I know that the guy is a very good goalie but he gets way too much credit with the Devils success. How many NHL goalies could win games on the Devils facing 20 shots a game over all these years. You think other quality goalies wouldnt have the same amount of wins as he does? What do you think Patrick Roy would have done with that defense if front of him? How about Mike Richter? How about Grant Fur?

Dont get me wrong…Brodeur is a very good goalie. But most other good goalies would have the same amount of wins as he does. The defense has won all those Cups they have….not Brodeur!!

50. TheDonkey says:

I will give you one thing…

The East has gotten way more exciting to watch the last couple of years. Teams like Buffalo and now the Pens paved the way for some less Jersey-style hockey.