Who is the best play-by-play man in the NHL?

There are alot of good announcers in the NHL but none of them beat the Buffalo Sabers radio voice Rick Jeaneret. Fortunately I live in Hamilton, Ontario which is is about an hour away from Buffalo so I can get WGRZ 550. Whenever the leafs play buffalo, Forget AM 640 I am listening to WGRZ 550 so I can hear Rick Jeaneret. Anyway here are some of his best calls:

“SCORES! Jason Wooley, The shot heard around the world”

“SCORRRRRRRRRRRRRES! are you ready legion of doom!”

“May coming in on goal, SCORES! MAY-DAY MAY-DAY MAY-DAY!!”

And my personal favorite: ” SCORES! Tis’ the season, LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-Lafontaine”

Here is the link to the top 10 rick jeaneret calls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEfbyrKnKc0

Who is your favorite Announcer?

53 Responses to Who is the best play-by-play man in the NHL?

many will complain of his bias and his memory loss but bob cole all time is one of the best. back in his heyday in the 80s when he became the lead voice, he was terrific. the way he can bring viewers out of their seats and add that level of excitement is unmatched.  you watch US coverage and its nowhere in the same league. only doc emrick has been able to carry the mic.

out west, jim robson was awesome too. he had a real unique voice but he was great to listen to.

2. malkin_71 says:

The Pens radio play by play man alwasy has the qoutes if it were who had the best qoutes he would win by mile. Examples

He he shoots he SSSCCOORREEES!!!!!!! Scratch my back with a hack saw
    He he shoots he SSSCCOORREEES!!!!!!! Get that dog of my laund.
    He he shoots he SSSCCOORREEES!!!!!!! Elvise has left the building.

3. leafs-man says:

I can't stand bob cole, he is so boring. My man is Rick Jeanneret but I think Leafs play-by-play man Joe Bowen is also Pretty good:

"In our very small way of bieng a part of this tem, I don't think I have ever been as proud in my entire life, BLESS YOU BOYS WHAT A GAME"

"Don't tell me about heart, dedication and resiliece this is unbelivable, 28.8 seconds left, the leafs have tied the game"

"Kaberle in over the line for Mogilney, a shot SCORRRRES HOLY MACKINAW what a move by alexander mogilney"

4. Radio says:

I don't have a fav one.

But I do have a most disliked one: Bob Cole (and Harry Neale)when they are not calling their precious Leafs.

The faked excitement in their voices as they call other teams makes me want to puke.

Nevermind the no-side taking on questionable penalties and goals until way after the fact when it was obvious what the right call was on the first replay — faking that you are not seeing the conclusion your mind is drawing from the facts is not being "impartial" guys, it's being *****ing annoying and stupid.

5. LeafyMcLeaf says:

Definitely Rick. Although I like Jim Hughson.

6. Go_Leafs_14 says:

This Rick Jeaneret sounds good, Im not sure if I've heard him before though, so Ill just go wih Jim Hughson, my least favorites are those lame tsn announcers.

7. Jenkinstein says:

Dean Brown is pretty good as well, very good banter with whatever colour commentary guy he has with him.  Jim Hughson is also ok, and Chris Cuthbert always made games entertaining.

The absolute worst is the guy who does the play by play for the Lightning on the radio.  His goal announements sound like he's being castrated whenever Lecavalier gets a goal.

"SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORES!!! " Every god damn time. who can take that? No wonder hockey isn't popular in the south.

8. azzkikr2100 says:

if only you could spell…

9. Sedin23 says:

Glean Healey has to be my favorite next to Jim Hughson. I used to not like him, but slowly and slowly i'm likeing Healey more. John Shorthouse is the best radio guy.

10. leafs-man says:

I hate jim houghson. He is so boring. With him it's all stories no play-by-play. He is calling 14 blue jays games on CBC later this year, I think he would be much better at that.

11. malkin_71 says:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Your telling me I dont see you geting in any articles on this website
    I Have about 25 times the articles on this website then you and I bet your about 20 years older then me.

12. malkin_71 says:

Ohhhhhh I see what you meen.
     I just realized all the mistakes I made but im to tired to explain my self so whatever.

13. modk09 says:

DICK IRVING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

listen to the old broadcasts…

Jim Hughson is the best TV guy and rick jeaneret is the most exciting radio guy

cole and neal SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Bacon077 says:

Rick Jeaneret is the most annoying announcer I’ve heard. He is unnecessarily biased (more than others) and his voice, while unique, makes me cringe. Mike Emrick, hands down, is the best announcer in hockey right now.

15. Days_of_thunder says:

Yvon Pednault  and the onther french guy, they to the Montreal Games.  I know you wall say "well they are in french" but it not about the language they speek.  Those guys will bash there team like no other, if Montreal is sucking  %ss then they are saying it.  I couldn't beleive it at first but its true.  And for that I find them to be the best and the most honest, not like those pro-leaf freaks.
    GO SENS GO

16. bigscoup says:

BOB COLE?????? I dont think the guy realizes that there are other teams in the NHL….Every game this guy calls may as well be a intersquad game.He is the most bias announcer in the NHL…But then again what else would you expect from the CBC and the toronto mapleleafs

17. hockey_what86 says:

I have to say bob cole is the best all you bashers out there are idiots .
    HERE COMES SUNDIN SCORESSSSSSSS MATS SUNDIN WOOOOO BABY!!!!!

2nd Best is joe bowen WHOLE MACKRAL

18. chanman says:

Jenneret is the best. Living in Buffalo, following the Sabres is a treat in itself. When Rick & Jim do the calls, it makes it absoluely great. We even turn the volume off when VS shows instead of local TV just to hear Rick instead of the goofs with no passion in their voice.

WHAAT a SAVE by MILLER…

I cannot forget Pominville going around Alfredson…gm 5…eastern semis…NOW do you BEELIEVE??.

19. BLUE_AND_WHITE says:

I hate Rick Jeaneret, he is the most annoying creature next to jim Hughson. I don't no many, but my fav is Joe Bowan.

20. rojoke says:

You don't base an announcer's ability by the way he calls goals, but by the way he calls the whole game.

Having said that, Jeaneret and Penguins guy Mike Lange are two of the absolute most horrid goal calls in the history of hockey announcing.  "He scores" is a simple two syllable phrase, but it takes these guys five minutes to get to the end of it.  On the other hand, when the other teams score, they call it like they're reading the eye chart at the optometrist's office.  It makes my ears bleed when I watch highlights from their games and have to listen to their crappy calls like fingernails on a chalkboard.  Fortunately Lange has been relegated to radio broadcasts now and I don't have to listen to him anymore.  Jeaneret should be calling MLS and not NHL games.

Jim Hughson is probably the best all-around play-by-play guy working today.  He's got a great voice, keeps up with the action well, and his goal calls are the same no matter who scores, with great inflaction.

Gord Miller is pretty good as well, but his voice gets a little strange on his goal calls.

Paul Romanuk was great when he was working with TSN.

Bob Cole has his moments, but he's well past his prime.  Chris Cuthbert is great, but his voice is a little high for my liking.

Ken Daniels, who now does the Red Wings games exclusively, was great when he worked with CBC.

Dean Brown and his stupid "Holy Makinaw" over-used crap-phrase is annoying as hell, and it would make my day if he got a terminal case of laryngitis.

21. rojoke says:

Healy isn't an announcer, he's a colour guy.  And he's not even that great at that.

22. rojoke says:

Scratch Dean Brown, I meant Joe Bowen.  Brown is lousy in his own right tho.

23. wingsfan13 says:

i can't stand the announcer from buffalo he is rediculous and annoying, AND i like buffalo alot so it sux.  a lot of people i've talked to say one of the reasons that people don't get into hockey is because the announcers are such bad quality and annoying like saying SCCCCORRRREEEE.  not good.  i do however like ken daniels, mickey redmond, the announcer for vancouver games and toronto games on cbc, and the guy on news radio 950

24. habs_punk says:

Sorry, but, to me anyways, that Holy Mackinaw is the most overused catch phrase in all of sports. It puts him right up there with Don Taylor as the most annoying sports personality on the planet.

25. habs_punk says:

I don't have a favorite because well, believe it or not, as a Habs fan living in southern Ontario, I don't get to see many Habs games. The only ones I get to hear are the Leaf announcers and the NHL Radio Habs announcers. I don't find the NHL Radio Habs announcers anything special, and the Leafs ones are nearly all horrifyingly bad. CBC being the worst by far, but there are times when watching TSN I feel like throwing rocks at the television. I can't count how many times this season I saw the announcer on TSN comment on a goalie working on a shutout, actually use the world "shutout". That should be an unwritten rule. Yes, it's superstitious, but it's just something you don't do.

26. jrcortez25 says:

You guys have to give it up to Bob Miller. Miller has made so many memorable calls for the LA Kings. He is the Hockey Hall of Fame. Enough said. I think the guy from the Buffalo Sabres is annoying. Just because they make loud calls and scream does not make them good. Mike Emrick from the Devils broadcast is not that good either. I don't know why he keeps getting on any national televised game. The broadcaster everyone should be praising should be Bob Miller. The Best of All-Time.

27. honestabe says:

Absoluetely no doubt about it.
    Mike Lange in Pittsburgh is by far the most colourful announcer in the league.

28. Pony says:

Thats one of the most rediculous things I've ever heard. Someone not getting into a sport because of how they say score?

29. buds8 says:

Jim Hughson HANDS DOWN!

Those old farts can' even read the names on the jerseys, they make more mistakes than Paris Hilton.

30. RealisticLeaf says:

Being a Leaf fan I sooooo hate the way that both Neal and Cole comment on Leaf games. Bob Cole is always behind on the play and as someone said their fake enthusiasm for other teams is awful. I would rather someone who is non partial and calls it how it is. If i hear one of them blow wind up Raycrofts a$$ one more time I am going to loose my lunch.

My favorites would have to be Jim Hughson and Glenn Healy. They make the game fun and are not partial to one team. I also like the crazy stuff said by the Penns anouncer as well as the Sabers anouncer. Very colorful.

31. ranger_fan says:

Rick is horrible, just a terrible broadcasting voice. Bob Cole has a great voice but for a national netowrk is way too biased, I like Emerik the best. I think Sam Rosen also has a great voice too.

32. GlenSather says:

I'd have to say Sam Rosen from MSG is the best hockey announcer.  When he was paired with John Davidson, the Rangers broadcast were by far the best in the NHL.  Joe Micheletti is with Rosen now that J.D. is St.Louis Blues president. Micheletti is a great color analyst as well.

33. Archion113 says:

Sabre announcers are terrible.  Leaf announcers are terrible.  Penguins announcers are by far the worst.

New Jersey is farily decent.  The Islanders are good.

THe best i think have to be the Dallas Stars.  I've never heard opposing announcer go in depth with player development of other teams and actually sound like they cared about the sport more than their team as much as these guys.

I don't know why, but Canadian broadcasted games come in and look like they're from the 70's in the states.  Lower your taxes and get some god damn tv equipment.

34. AHLoldie says:

This is a very tough one to answer.  I've heard most all of the announcers in the league, and most sound the same after a while.  Almost all are biased because they're hired by the team.  I remember legendary Foster Hewitt from the 50's when I was a teenager.  He had the voice of a fight announcer. I think its all in what you get used to hearing.  That's why my favorite is Mike Lange.  He is also one of the few announcers who is never critical of the officiating.

35. BruMagnus says:

Mike Lange

36. BruMagnus says:

I love Mike Lange.
    He is very nonpartisan, or tries to be. But if there's a blatantly missed call, he won't hestitate to bring it up. And what Mike Lange says, goes.

37. BruMagnus says:

Mike Lange is the best. He is already in the Hall of Fame.

Get in the fast lane grandma, the bingo game is ready to roll.
    He beat him [goalie] like a rented mule.

He doesn't know whether to cry or wind his watch.

I'll be cow kicked.

Let's go hunt some moose on a Harley.

Scratch my back with a hacksaw.

You would have to be here to believe it. [classic]

Ladies and Gentleman, Elvis has just left the building. [another classic]

and, your favorite,

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee shoots and scores.

38. BruMagnus says:

I love the Pens announcers too.

39. Sedin23 says:

color guy same thing. He doesn't say whats going on with the play, but he is good at what he does.

40. Moose161 says:

I agree 100% Rick Jeanerret is the best play by play man in the NHL the only problem is when he is doing a Sabre game that is televised nationally.  He tends to be a little bit biased that way however he is still the best because of his enthusiastic calls.

41. hattrick44 says:

i have a least favorite in BOB COLE. My favorite would be the oilers radio annoucer Rod Phillips.

42. PSU_Penguin says:

Of course I'll say Mike Lange, but then again I haven't heard anyone from the other teams.  However, I can say that I hate Bob Erry.  He's color commentary, not ply-by-play, but I'm still gonna complain.  He refuses to believe that the Penguins can take penalties, or that other teams can play cleanly.  I'm just happy he became an announcer and not a ref, THE msot biased announcer I know of by far.  I just want to listen to the game, not hear how Crosby is the second coming of Jesus and John Madden is the son of the Devil.

End rant

43. HOFDionne says:

It's BoB Miller of the LOS ANGELES KINGS. When i was a kid I would find a quiet room, put the earpiece in and in my head visualize the game with his description…Then came TV and his Radio description became a visual punctuation of the play..i think for todays announcers coming right in to TV they don't quite add the descriptive background. Bobs calls are instant ..not a lot of shtick if you know what I mean. I have the DTV hockey package and can listen to announcers all over north America..professional is the word i would use for BOB MILLER..VIN SCULLY..the late CHICK HEARN….DICK ENBERG…Los Angeles fans of all sports are spoiled….And I love it….Thanks for the forum….Oh and Mike Emrich is my second choice…Director in one ear…producer in the other and he is on top of the game..peace

44. CanucksforPM87 says:

Rick Jeaneret is a hot dog.. plain and simple.. when I watch/listen to games I don't want to hear some jackass screaming into the mic, I want to hear someone call the game right down the line.. with that said, I think Hughson is one of the best (coming from a Canucks fan), he's not too biased and he's easy to listen to.. although come playoff time I've got to give the edge to Chris Cuthbert..

45. Sjostrom says:

Mike Lange of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

I can't think of all the crazy things he says but the one that comes to mind now, is after goals, one of the many crazy things he says is, OOOOOooooh, let's go hunt moose on a Harley!"

Ladies and gentlemen, Elvis has just left the building.

Scratch my back with a hacksaw.

Basically he makes the game fun to listen to.  He used to do TV but they did not want to pay him if the Pens left so he was on radio last year.

46. rmg185 says:

Show me another announcer that has ever said the words, "He smoked him like a bad cigar.", "He beats him like a rented mule", "She wants to sell my monkey!", "Get in the fast lane grandma, the bingo game's about to role!", "Well scratch my back with a hacksaw!", "Buy sam a drink and get his dog one too!"

.. and my personal favorite, "Lord Stanley, Lord Stanley, bring me the brandy, the Penguins have just won the Stanley Cup!"

Mike Lange, the master of the simily.  Commentators?  A dime a dozen.  But if you want a COLOR commentator, well thats Mike Lange, accept no substitutes.

47. malkin_71 says:

Is there anything you ever said about the Pens with out haveing the word terrible, worst, suck in it, because we can say alot more  about your team. Good teams say Crosby who! Im still laughing about that one.lol.

48. BruMagnus says:

Agreed. By far the most fun commentator to listen too. And he's also quite impartial.