Would you sacrifice Ryan for defense?

Eric Stephens

Bobby Ryan for Luke Schenn?

Sound ludicrous? It is what Paul Hunter of the Toronto Star conjured up as he assessed what the Maple Leafs need to do in the off-season and said obtaining the Ducks’ goal-scorer would be the dream scenario.

Mind you, this is Hunter’s wish list and not necessarily that of Toronto GM Brian Burke — though there’s the very tangible fact that Ryan was Burke’s first draft pick as the Ducks’ boss when he was selected No. 2 overall in 2005.

The Ducks might be holding onto mathematical possibilities at this point as the realistic ones have dried up the more the Detroit Red Wings continue to secure the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference.

A four-game winning streak that’s come two weeks too late has done absolutely nothing to allow the Ducks to close the gap. Nine points out with 11 games to go and three teams to jump in the standings? Those vacation plans to Mexico and the Caribbean can be made.

And the club may have implicitly turned it eye toward the future by bringing young prospects Nick Bonino and Jake Newton on the three-game western Canada swing, which was one enticement to get the two college players to sign. Once they’re out of it, the Ducks might like to see if Bonino and Newton can hold their own and possibly make the big jump this fall.

In that vein, it doesn’t hurt to take a peek into the off-season where the Ducks still figure to make the blue line a priority among the number of important decisions they’ll have to make. Signing Ryan to a contract extension will also be on the front burner but if this becomes a Phil Kessel situation, would the Ducks used him as trade bait to land a young defenseman with high-end potential like Schenn?

152 Responses to Would you sacrifice Ryan for defense?

1. cam7777 says:

You can evaluate the age group as a whole though, and see that the talent replacing the guys who are moving on to higher levels aren't where the guys before them were at the same point.  Again, no one is debating that certain kids will explode, as you say.  But as a manager, you don't operate under the assumption that your scouts will definitely find you gems in every round, and therefore determine that it's safe to trade Bobby Ryan for offersheet compensation.  Don't worry, I'm sure the Bruins will still get a good player in the top 10 of next year's draft with the Leafs pick.  Don't get your panties in a twist.  That doesn't effect Bob Murray's decision making though.

2. cam7777 says:

49 must be the new 33.  New Jersey better order a walker or a cane for Brodeur.  Hold the phone!  How old is old man Tim Thomas?  How is he even functioning???

3. bbruins37 says:

Only difference is the last two guys you mentioned can still play.

4. bbruins37 says:

Haha the Rask trade alone is enough to get him canonized.

5. bbruins37 says:

responding to:

"chiarelli. hmm, jury is still out on whether he is an adequate GM."

6. bbruins37 says:

Is there a more haunting trade in the history of sports than the Rask trade? Not meaning to rub it in but…damn.

It's like having our very own Brodeur with this guy. Maybe even better??? Probably. I'd just be kicking myself if my team traded this guy away.

7. leafit2me says:
    "I'm evaluating Rask based on how I've seen him develop. He's lights out everywhere he goes too. And he just has that ice cold killer quality about him in how confident, calm and collected he is."

Dude…No one is doubting Raask as being a POTENTIALLY solid goaltender of the future. What I'm saying is you wont accept a differing view from your own without 'proof' else it 'BS' but everyone has to accept your point of view "based on how YOU'VE seen him [Raask] develop". I hope your getting the point without me having to spell it out for ya.

I can appreciate that your a passionate hockey fan without a doubt which is why i'm pulling for you. I think you should send your resume to Chia right now…..like RIGHT NOW. The Leafs could really use a guy like you on the Bruins mgmt.
  8. cam7777 says:

Umm, okay then.  Neither is fairing a whole lot better than Giguere right now, but all three are still competent and very good.  Brodeur hasn't won jack shit for ages.  Thomas got chased from his net this year.  Giguere has had some difficulties, but he's going to recover nicely.  No worries.  Hands up, which of these three has won a Stanley Cup in the last 3 years?  Ding Ding Ding.

9. bbruins37 says:

Chased by the best goalie this year? I'll let it slide.

10. bbruins37 says:

Check for yourself how he's developed. It's not my fault you don't watch the Bruins as much as me.

I'm asking for proof because I know that they know absolutely nothing about the 2011 class outside of some guy's general review two years before the draft. I'm just calling him/them out. I talked to Cam only a few dyas ago and he didn't even know who Adam Larsson was. Based on that I think I have a legit claim on calling BS on him.

11. Kyleton says:

I've come to question whether you think you are witty, intelligent, or superior when you make posts, especially like this.  Its kind of sad that you have such a neediness for attention.

12. bbruins37 says:

I think (know) I'm all three, but not because of this post. This is merely to rub what could have been in the face of Leafs fans.

13. cam7777 says:

Agreement in principle between David Thomson and the NHL will see the Coyotes sold to True North Sports and Entertainment, and relocated to Winnipeg if no other suitors step up ASAP.  Read about it here:

Wondering why you haven't heard about it in the mainstream media (TSN) yet, and why Dreger and McKenzie, the supposed insiders, have nothing to offer on the topic?  Read about that here:

Essentially, Dave Thomson owns CTV and TSN.  It has been imperative to the whole operation that this deal happen in secrecy, as Bettman has needed to make it look as though he has made every efford to keep the team in Phoenix, and stay loyal to that Glendale Arena lease.  But now, the beans are about to be spilled, the Jets will return to Winnipeg next fall.

14. bbruins37 says:

This would be sick and long-overdue.

15. cam7777 says:

Meh, I've told you several times that I wasn't a big follower of the league when Rask was traded to Boston.  It's not something I even recall, to be honest.  As far as I'm concerned, you drafted him, and Andrew Raycroft was drafted a Maple Leaf.  I could care less.  Burke has had no trouble finding goalies throughout the last ten years.  Giguere, Bryzgalov, Hiller, and now Gustavsson.  We're good.

16. bbruins37 says:

Yeah I don't buy it. You wouldn't be a fan of the Leafs with that kind of outook. Might as well be a Bruins fan.

17. cam7777 says:

I will be among the first in line for season tickets.  Honestly, read the articles.  The Jetsowner guy has followed the story, and been on the inside of True North for the last 10 years or more.  He is connected to many many hockey people and ex-Jets.  He knows his stuff.  Moreover, I can tell you that this city is still swimming with rumors.

I'm kind of regretting spending 400 dollars on Eagles tickets that could have been put towards season tickets.  Oh well.  If this happens, what will we argue about?  Once I'm Jets first, and Leafs second….

18. cam7777 says:

Ha, no, I don't care.  The funny thing about you and me, is that where you hate the leafs, I only hate the Bruins when I'm talking about them with you.  They are my dad's favorite team, so i've never minded them.  It's your insane maple leaf hatred that forces me to hate on them.  good for them landing rask.  It was before my tour of duty as a Leaf fan.  It's as irrelevent as the Niedermayer trade.

19. bbruins37 says:

Didn't realize you were from that area. Uhhh…Coyotes/Jets suck. lol

20. bbruins37 says:

It's still effecting your team though. It's not like if you were a Canucks fan you'd still be pissed because they trade away Neely. Rask broke into the league whe you were a fan.

21. cam7777 says:

So here's what I'm thinking:

To Chicago:     Ed Jovanovski
    To Winnipeg:   Jonathan Toews

Hometown hero for the Jets, and the Hawks really fill out their back-end.

22. cam7777 says:

If he is just a ridiculous 2nd coming of Broduer/Roy, then sure, I'll care.  But he'll have to be absolutely ridiculous.  And even guys like Luongo aren't so good I'd cry myself to sleep at night (although, I believe we also passed on him at some point, ironically).  I think Burke will keep the goalies respectable though, enough so that we're not crying for Rask all the time.

Like I said, Giguere, Bryzgalov, and Hiller is a pretty good record so far.  I'm willing to give him the next couple seasons to finish sorting the team out.  It was quite a disaster after all.

Ya, if Radulov would come back to the NHL that would be good. Maybe they could try to sign Frolov, or offer up a ton of $ to Gonchar, like 3 years 21 million. If like you said, the whole russian connection will keep the other guys around. I think Nik Antropov is pretty respected amongst the Russians too, I know Kovalchuk likes him.

Burke's gotta go after some more College free agents, and Euro's. I don't know if there is one out there this year, but if we could have another Bozak calibre guy for nothing, that would be so sick.

25. bbruins37 says:

Should be/will be for the NHL awards:

Should be:

2. Patrick Marleau
    3. Brad Richards

Jack Adams:
    1. Dave Tippett
    2. Joe Sacco
    3. Terry Murray

hahaha, cam, that trade is obviously a joke. Jovo is approaching mid thirties and 1 year left on his deal…. I think you're just joking but i cant tell, im pretty high right now on perkacets

27. Kramer says:

Brand new rumors are starting. My sources tell me teams are talking again. Big trades looming on the horizon. When I find out more, I'll pass it on.

Ovechkin no nomination for the Hart? He's been the best player in the league this year for sure.

And no way Rask should get the Calder over Howard. The 'will be' list is much better.

29. bbruins37 says:

It's not a best player in the league trophy though (although I don't think he's been the best anyways).

I think it's pretty apparent that the Caps dominate with Ovechkin, or without him.

Without him (or the games he's been ejected): 10-2-1
    With him: 39-12-9

Rask has played better/more consistent than any goalie in the league. His only setback is games played. I think if he plays 40+ or something he should get it. The Vezina shouldn't be out of the question either.

30. LeafsLegacy says:

Peanutbutter and Jam!!! bbruins jump off a bridge, biased leaf hater

31. 24_cups_and_counting says:

Thomas Kaberle isn't exactly a building block, so the team your gonna trade him to will be ATLEAST drafting 20th or higher. So the 1st rounder you get for him is gonna be a late one.

Let's see, Late 1st rounder in a supposedly "shi*ty" draft outside of the top 3 players. Ya, i'm sure Anaheim would jump all over that deal.

Also, you need your own picks for an offer sheet, so even if you acquire a 1st, i'll guarantee you that boston has no plans of trading you your lottery pick back to you.

32. Kramer says:

I gotta get this new 3-D technology to watch hockey.

33. cam7777 says:

yea, it was a total joke.  Jets will need to do something to make themselves a top line next year, because I don't think they can rely on catching lightning in a bottle two years in a row.  let's be honest, bryzgalov has been the man this year, and we've heard this story before in montreal and boston over the last couple seasons.  standing pat would be a mistake for the jets/yotes this summer.

he did though create the dissention in the NHLPA when paul kelly was ousted. i wouldnt call him a saint in that regard.

but he is what he is, a 5th or 6th blueliner. a dime a dozen.

and yes i have seen him play. he doesnt impress me. he skates well but has zero puck skills. he is the bruins version of francis bouillon. a gritty sandpaper player but strictly a role player.

and that is great how the bruins are such a great defensive team but its only been 2 years. i personally think the last decade, its been the devils who are consistently in the top 10 in GAA. they to me have been the best defensive team in the last long while.

and here i thought it had to do with vezina trophy winning tim thomas or the guy better than jacque plante, patrick roy, martin brodeur, ken dryden and glenn hall combined, tukka rask.

so what are you saying? its the impressive team D that gets the job done like all those brodeur haters who say his career was made by stevens, niedermayer and rafalski?

i am kidding with that last statement of course. its a combination of both. just thought i'd tell you to before you'd stroke out or something.

35. cam7777 says:

Wow, and the stupidity keeps rolling out of your mouth.  There are lots of teams in the 10-20 range that would give up a 1st this year for Kaberle – St.Louis, Dallas, Buffalo, and so on, and Boston would certainly return our 1st next year for Kaberle, given the relative weakness of the draft.  Even if it was a 1st rounder, those 20th and higher teams can afford to throw in prospects that are worth a 1st rounder themselves.  For instance, Washington reportedly offered Fleischmann, Alzner and a 1st at the draft, but Kaberle once again invoked the NTC on the Caps.  That is a far superior offer than any offersheet will net, unless the Ducks got extremely lucky.

And you seem to be confused on the draft thing.  Anaheim would want picks from this year's draft, because it is supposedly a little better than next year's.  And also, given that the players are older, and have played more, it is easier to identify what you're getting in return.  Taking draft picks in 2011 is like taking the mystery box.  It worked fo Boston, but lightning won't strike twice.  Take a look up the page at my reponse to ChildProdygy if you need further clarification on how the NHL works.

36. blaze says:

Schenn won't be moved. Phaneuf, Schenn and Kessel are the only true untouchables on the team.

And what's this bad play crap about Schenn? He's actually a plus 2! On a brutal team in transition he's improved his stats. Sure his ice time is down but that's to be expected with the depth. When two veteran quality defensemen like Beauchemin and Kaberle are looking to reach a combined -100 Schenn's +2 looks all the better.

Not to mention his offensive game seems to be developing ahead of what was expected of him. In his prime he should be looking at 40+ pts seasons IMO. Don't trade Schenn!!

37. Tavares-Stamkos14 says:

I wouldnt be calling Rask the second coming of Brodeur or Roy just yet. Afterall it is his rookie season. I seem to remember the same hype put on Price who hasent lived up to it and another goalie who Boston traded to get Rask. Raycroft got the calder in his rookie season and bruins fans were spouting off the same second coming of Brodeur nonsense. If he is still playing this way in 2 season then yeah I will agree but he hasn't even played a full season. So watch out cause if he doesn't live up to the hype next season leaf fans will be all over you about it.

38. Tavares-Stamkos14 says:

39. leafy says:

I agree, I like the way Schenn is playing. And let's all remember he's still only 20.

40. bbruins37 says:

Raycroft clearly couldn't adjust to the new NHL. His Calder came in the last season of the clutch-and-grab era. Guys like Price and Mason aren't doing what Rask is doing this season either.

41. TheLeafNation91 says:

Yeah, that would be nice…Looks like Tyler Bozak was our first-round draft pick this year minus ours 1st pick.

Also, schools been rough but im hanging in there

And, I heard about the dance recital being good…I actually went to come and say hi yesterday but then I remembered you guys were done…lol

I never bought that arguement. Its the "most valuable player" in the league, not "most valuable player to his team". Whoever is playing the best deserves the award, and thats Ovechkin.

When they come out with a MVPTHT award then we can consider questions like "where would this team be without this guy".

ya, my students did a great job on Saturday. Too bad you never came by earlier in the year. http://www.brocktv.ca/?v=328 But there is a link to my brocktv show. this is the drunk Isaacs episode

44. bbruins37 says:

That's best player award is the Lester B. Pearson.

By definition the Hart trophy is a MVPTHT award.

45. reinjosh says:

its the hart not the art lol

46. TheLeafNation91 says:

yeah…if your ever at Brock, just tell me and maybe we can meet at Walker or something. the link aint working for some reason

47. TheLeafNation91 says:

Okay…saw that video…your my idol. lol…anyways, that i dont know that jenn girl but i did volunteer for her jumpstart program. i would show you a video of me at isaacs…but im trying to keep that as non-public as personal or i would lose all dignity

48. KingVilly91 says:

a certain 22 year old sniper is 7 goals off last years total hmmmmm i think this 22 year old will be great for the leafs for years to come I <3 81

49. leafmeister says:

Rask is going to be one of the primer goalies of his generation, but dont call him the second coming of the greatest goalie of all time just yet. You have to appreciate two things, the two goalies in consecutive years who light up their rookie year then slumped in their sophomore years, also Boston's defensive system is very favorable to goalies numbers. If you stick him in a system like Washington his numbers would be significantly down.

50. DannyLeafs says:

Yeah, its a pretty bad feeling to be sure. Must be almost as bad as the feeling of trading away a franchise player in the midst of an art ross winning season for three guys that don't even combine for as many points.